• Published 8th Oct 2016
  • 1,034 Views, 20 Comments

It's Over Scratch - SolarRoyalty



The party days are over. It's time to grow up Scratch. I'm sorry.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,034

Inability

“She said she'd be here so she will.”

The mare stared at the entrance to the concert hall with a growing frustration. Violet eyes staring past the crowd, past the world, waiting for what was unlikely to happen as each second ticked by. Octavia broke her gaze momentarily to glance up at the large gilded clock that rested on the second floor's private box resting on a balcony across from the stage. 8:57PM. Vinyl had told her, had promised her, that she would be here to support her.

Suddenly, the edge of the curtain she had been holding up to peer past the audience was yanked from her grip. Octavia huffed in frustration, turning to give the pony a piece of her mind. Beauty Brass stared right back at her, face somewhat stiff, though at Octavia's unimpressed frown, relaxed into an apologetic expression.

“Octavia, I know you're nervous-”

“I'm not nervous.” The cellist shot back without thinking, cutting her friend off. She subsequently felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment, silently admitting she wasn't at all like her usual self tonight. “Sorry.” she added after a quiet moment, eyes lowering back to the stage. She wished she could just melt into the curtains for the rest of the show and stay hidden there, so to not face the disappointment so intricately linked with her partner's absence.

Brass turned her eyes toward the small gap in the curtains between her and the stage, then turned back to Octavia. “I don't want to tell you I told you so, so I won't.” She whispered more quietly, as to not bring attention to themselves from the rest of the musicians, backstage technicians, and Celestia help them if he did hear them, the producer. “Let's just get ready alright?” She held out her hoof to the cellist, motioning toward the center stage where their instruments were resting for the coming show.

Octavia watched the hoof for a notable pause, refusing to give into her impulse to snatch the curtain aside and search for Vinyl once more. Taking a deep breath, her expression hardened somewhat, before a smile forcefully stitched itself across her mouth.

“You're right.” Octavia finally admitted, the words carrying a finality so that even she had to come to terms with this. Vinyl probably wasn't coming.

II||♫♫||II II||♫||II II||♫♫||II

Halfway across the city, a certain DJ was not on her way to the Canterlot Concert Hall. The thundering bass around them, Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights were at the bar in Club Canterlot, the premier spot for ravers and drinkers alike in the city to gather and party the night away for as long as they'd like, whenever they'd like. The bartender, a jovial stallion with dark shades, white Mohawk and a goatee kept a long line of shots going for the two, who were surrounded by a crowd of screaming ponies, cheering on the latest drinking game the two had devised in their drunken stupor. The objective? Seven shots of vodka followed by shotgunning a can of the club's famous energy drink, Quickflare. As the name suggested, it had a quick energy boost that would send even quiet mares and stallions into a party frenzy. Added to a challenge like this however, and it was a risky endeavor that both unicorns looked at with gleams in their eyes.

The stallion eyed the already tipsy pair with a grin, raising his hoof above his head momentarily to bring silence to the crowd, proceeding to shout so that they could hear him over the music.

“Now, I present to you, these two brave souls.” Vinyl and Neon exchanged smirks, hooves slowly moving closer to their shots. “Who have bet two hundred forty two bits, and one tiny umbrella.” He lifted the bag of bits for all to see, a tiny neon blue umbrella sticking out of the opening. “for a drinking challenge featuring our famous number seven knockout!” Several cheers from the onlookers proceeded, and while he waited for their silence, the stallion pulled out his stopwatch, glancing up at the neon green digital clock that rested above the shelves behind him.

“Oh please, I'll drink her under the table!” Neon shouted cheerfully, eyes locked on Vinyl's.

Vinyl shook her head playfully, determination beginning to straighten her previously unfocused gaze. “Yeah right Neon, I'll have you beat in no time flat!”

“On your marks.”

Both Neon and Vinyl leaned over the bar, looming over their drinks like tigers stalking their next meal. Vinyl had to steady herself, nearly tipping over to the side, but managed to pass it off as taking up a bit more space on the counter.

“Get set.”

Vinyl felt her focus waver, sitting up a bit. Everything felt wrong all of a sudden, something she couldn't place. It was as though some force that had been long forgotten had gripped the back of her mind and refused to let go, an ugly sensation beginning to form in the pit of her stomach that felt like chilled ice. She brushed the side of her hoof past her lips, trying to focus on the shot glass of clear liquid resting on the counter before her, but for the life of her she couldn't do it.


“Go!”

Vinyl saw Neon's hoof fly by her head to grab the first of seven glasses out of the corner of her eye, but didn't move herself, her magenta eyes continuing to scan the room for the source of her unease. 'What was it?' She thought desperately. Nopony had immediately noticed however, yet by the time Neon had slammed his glass down in a resounding thud that was lost in the force of the concussive music, all eyes were on Vinyl, ponies shifting closer as though something were wrong.

“You alright Vinyl?” He asked, leaning in close to grip her shoulder.

Vinyl had nearly jumped out of her skin at the contact, smiling awkwardly. “I feel fine.” She paused, then added. “Not sick anyways.”

“Need me to pause the time?” The bartender asked, eyeing her as though she was ready to topple at any moment.

Time. Vinyl lurched forward, knocking her chair aside to the misfortune of many of the onlookers behind her. She heard a shout, followed by swears but it wasn't important. Panic flooding her insides, her eyes flicked to the digital clock resting just below the ceiling above the bar. 9:10PM.

'Oh fuck.' The words sprung in her mind with little to no effort, and were the first of a long stream of swears that soon were no longer just in the back of her mind. “Fuck, fuck, FUCK!” The mare was already back on her hooves, trying to push through the crowd with haste, most of which eyed her with bewildered expressions and stares of disappointment.

“V-Vinyl?!” Neon shouted, unable to keep the surprise off of his face as the DJ shoved through their spectators, straight for the front door.

“I'm sorry Neon, I've got to go, like right now!” She shouted hastily. “Cover the tab please, I'll pay you back, I swear!”

Soon out the door, she streaked through the darkening streets, some slow moving carriages lit up by the glowing streetlamps and hiding in the shadows being the only real signs of life. Vinyl didn't pause to look however, sprinting hastily across the nearby road, pausing to look up breathlessly at the nearby street sign. She squinted to make out the lettering on the green sign, which soon she observed to be 'Mane St.' Canterlot's Concert hall was some distance away still, and with an audible groan of disbelief, she resumed her hasty gallop in that direction.

How had she forgotten Octavia's Debut with the Canterlot Symphony? Though it was true that Vinyl didn't particularly go with the classical music style that Octavia composed, she had promised to be there to support her partner. She mentally kicked herself for being so stupid as to forget this of all things. Praying to Celestia she wouldn't be too late, Vinyl quickly made her way down a nearby alley, knowing the shortcut between the two streets would thankfully shave off some time on the way there. The darkness unforgiving of her plight however, she felt her front hoof connect with a nearby garbage can, and was subsequently sent sprawling on the pavement, the ground now littered with trash of all sorts. Within moments, adrenaline flowing through her veins and heart thudding so loud she could almost hear it, she was back on her hooves, pain stinging sharply in one of her back legs.

Finally arriving out of the other side of the alley moments later, she paused at a nearby window to catch her breath, her chest heaving with effort similar to an Olympian having finished a marathon. Her breath caught in her throat however as a nearby television featuring the Channel 14 news was on. Something about a big fire in Manehattan, but it wasn't the story that caught her attention. 9:20PM. She couldn't believe it, it was as though time were mocking her, speeding up the clock to forever doom her chances of arriving to see even a glimpse of this show.

Hooves carrying her faster than she'd ever run in her life, she could feel her breath sobbing in her throat, begging for a break that her mind refused to give into. The constant gallop was beginning to seriously tire her, and her legs were beginning to feel like bags of wet sand. She wasn't the most physical mare in the world for sure, but overall her DJ performances had contained little to no running, merely staying up late, drinking, and downing energy drinks like bottled water. These abilities of hers were unsurprisingly hindering her progress. Soon however, the concert hall began to loom in the distance to which she began to hope beyond hope that she'd made it. Sure she'd be a bit late and all, but Octavia couldn't get too mad at her for that right?

Her final strides bringing her to the entrance of the hall, she smirked triumphantly, and ruffled her mane a bit, the further spikiness seeming to jazz up her current appearance. With a final deep breath, she repossessed her calm, confident demeanor that had won her many battles on and off stage, and her hoof grabbed the handle, twisting.

Locked.

Vinyl stared at the door handle, puzzled for a moment. Was the door broken or something? She tried again, with no positive results. Had they locked the doors before the show? That was possible. Leaning against the glass, a curious expression on her face, she rapped the doors hard, pressing her face against the glass.

“Hello?” She called out, rapping the door harder. Frustration soon began to grip her mind as no one seemed to be coming. Now openly agitated, she banged with all of her might, a stream of insults prepared for the lazy staff member that locked the door to the building while the show was still going on.

After a minute, a ruffled looking old stallion donning a brown coat and wide brimmed hat lumbered out of the hallway on the right, approaching the door with daggers in his eyes as though Vinyl had personally ruined his day. Vinyl narrowed her eyes at his approach, steeling herself for this brief moment of conflict before he'd let her in to see the show. The stallion opened the glass door, widening it just enough so that he could address Vinyl properly.

“What in the hayfeathers do you need? Did you leave something in the seating area?” he asked, his tone far from cooperative.

“Wait, what?” Vinyl asked, brow raised at this statement. “No I'm hear to see the show. You know, classical music or whatnot? My marefriend's playing tonight. Octavia melody, heard of her?”

At this the stallion only seemed to grow more annoyed, as though Vinyl were some ignorant toddler knocking on his door the day after Nightmare Night. “What, do you need a watch or something? The show ended ten minutes ago!”

Vinyl's blood ran cold at this statement, a pregnant pause silencing her as she took this information in. She'd missed the show? There was no way, even at a slow trot, she still could have caught Octavia on her way out. She shook her head, believing he had to be lying to her. There was no question about it. He was messing with her.

“No, wait- hold on a second. Didn't the show start at nine or something?” She replied, her tone disbelieving.

The stallion cackled loudly, Vinyl feeling her cheeks burn with indigence at it all. “Yes lass, the show started at nine, and ended promptly at nine thirty.” He replied, lifting his hoof to examine the stainless steel watch on his free hoof. “It's Nine forty one right now.”

Vinyl took a step back, and what felt like a large rock had settled in at the bottom of her stomach, chilling her insides. Tonight was not going to be pleasant, and she knew it, Celestia help her when she got home. After apologizing to the staff member, the unicorn began a much slower pace than she had run sprinting to the hall in her panicked state. She didn't fancy the conversation, if she could call it that, that would occur once she took her first step past the threshold of their house. Instead she stared at the sidewalk, eyes unable to look ahead, wandering aimlessly in the general location of their house, stores with blinking lights and loud sounds that echoed throughout the streets of Canterlot. As most of Canterlot's night scene was devoted to the party life in the several clubs throughout the city, she didn't see many ponies on her way back.

Though she stalled as much as she could, walking ever slower as the house neared even closer, it was inevitable of course that she would end up on the front lawn, nervous expression on her face as she watched the door, fearing Octavia would burst through at any moment and unleash a wrath upon her never before seen in the lands of Equestria.

Next she was at the door. 'It's no big deal, right?' She thought to herself lamely, scenes of disappointment and anger flooding her mind. 'It wasn't my fault! I mean, Neon totally shouldn't have dragged me out tonight.' She thought. 'I made that promise just yesterday anyways. It was short notice!' These thoughts didn't seem to encourage her however. Octavia never understood her reasons. Things just happened, didn't they? Vinyl couldn't help it if she'd gotten caught up doing stuff.

With a monumental effort, she opened the door wide and stepped in. The first odd thing she noticed was that everything was quiet. The lights were on, but there wasn't any noise. Vinyl steadily made her way toward the kitchen, controlling the rise and fall of each hoof as carefully as she could to avoid making noise. Poking her head around the corner of the dining room however, Octavia was nowhere to be seen. Feeling free to stand up straight, she approached the refrigerator. With still no hoof steps to greet her presence in the house, Vinyl tried to tidy up her appearance. Looking into her reflection in the nearby window, she saw nothing too horrible. Mane a bit untidy, but she was fine over all. Raising a hoof to her mouth, she breathed quickly into it and sniffed. Gagging quietly at the strong scent of alcohol, she reached into the refrigerator and tried to find something she could eat or drink quickly to mask the smell.

Rummaging through the assorted items that you would expect; Water, cream cheese, cheese slices, a bag of lettuce, butter, some leftovers from last night's whole wheat lasagna. She then spotted the carton of milk sitting in the back, lifting it up off the shelf and bringing it closer. She examined the expiration date for a moment, uncapping the container and sniffed. Satisfied that the contents weren't spoiled, the shut the door. Her heart skipped a beat, eyes widening as the angry face of Octavia Melody rested behind moments before where the refrigerator door had been. Vinyl yelped in surprise, dropping the carton hastily. There was a nasty 'Splat' as it hit the floor, milky contents spilling onto the carpet. Vinyl didn't dare look away though, trapped in Octavia's glare like a mouse before a hungry snake.

“H-Hey Octavia! It's..been a really long day for both of us I'm sure.” Vinyl said, hoping her voice sounded steady enough. Octavia didn't reply, she didn't even blink, her unimpressed glare locking Vinyl down like an uncomfortable invisible cage pressing her on all sides.

“Octavia I- Look I'm sorry. I got caught up in some stuff with Neon, and you know, we're good buds and all, and I was pretty sure I could make it off to the show on time but-”

“But what?” Octavia finally spat out, her words like venom, making the atmosphere even more unfriendly. Vinyl swallowed, trying her best to choose her words carefully. Though intoxicated, the atmosphere was bringing a startling clarity to her mind as she tried to formulate a proper response. She felt like a wanderer before the Sphinx, and nothing she could say would satisfy the question that would inevitably ruin everything.

“Things got busy...and.” Vinyl couldn't find the right words to make the earth mare understand her properly, the noose already wrapped around her throat as she awaited the executioner.

“Things got busy?” She replied, taking two rapid steps forward that caught Vinyl off guard, the unicorn's ears dropping quickly to the sides of her head. “More like you two got drunk! I'm fairly certain that would be a much more accurate statement.” She hissed quietly, furious eyes burning like coals that solidified her argument further. Vinyl's silence spoke volumes, and the cellist only seemed to advance further until their muzzles were inches apart. She then sniffed. Vinyl tried to step back, attempting to keep the scent away from her, but the damage was already done.

“It's not like this is the first time. When was the last time you ever showed up in the past year?” Octavia yelled, Vinyl nervously glancing around as though someone were watching the pair.

“I know I've had a bit of a problem getting to places on time-”

“Oh, you think?” Octavia retorted. “Last week's dinner date with Fancy Pants and that mare of his, oh what was her name.” She clicked her hooves impatiently. Vinyl was going to answer, but she waved a hoof dismissively. “That's not the point. Twenty minutes late, you smelled like garbage, and I had to endure complete embarrassment, struggling with whatever excuse I could come up for you, while you practically drooled on the table!”

Vinyl felt an even stronger pang of guilt at the mention of this. “Look Octavia, I said I was sorry-”

But Octavia would hardly let her get a word in edgewise. “Sorry? You didn't even care! What about the time before that at the Canterlot Socialites Anniversary? I know you don't get along well with them, but I asked you to hold your tongue, for me Scratch. For me. And what did you do?”

Vinyl bit her lip, trying to recall exactly what happened. She realized too late it was a rhetorical question.

“You went off on that mare because she called you uncouth, and barbaric. Do you think I was happy with her attitude toward you, yet instead of letting me handle it in a civil manner, you just blew your top in front of everyone!”

Vinyl vaguely remembered this also, the brief clarity of mind bringing memories of her yelling at that one stuck up prick next to Octavia, snidely commenting on her lifestyle until she lost her cool completely.

“Yeah I get it, I overreacted a bit that time. But what about the wine party? I was on time then!” Vinyl replied confidently, as though this would end the argument with her getting out of this mess.

“Vinyl that was three months ago, and ponies are still talking about the incident with the fire alarm.” Octavia said. Her voice was eerily calm, unnerving Vinyl even further as she silently tried to come up with anything so that Octavia would understand her.

The uncomfortable silence that followed was the most awkward for Vinyl, as Octavia's angry gaze watched her expectantly, demanding explanations for every wrong she'd done her in the past year, which Vinyl regretted was a bit longer than she'd ever want to admit. Yet Vinyl kept her face straight, silently staring back at the cellist. After ten or so seconds however, Octavia's expression softened, though a frown still creased her lips, one hoof raising to rub her temple gently.

“Vinyl.” She started, her voice beginning to shake now, trying her best not to look at the disk jockey. ”Do not get me wrong. I...I do love you. But...” Vinyl could see tears brimming at the corners of the mare's eyes, and reflexively took a step forward, but Octavia stopped her, hoof pressing gently against her chest. “I try so hard to stick up for you. I have never spoken ill about you to anyone. Even if you can be rough around the edges, you are fun to be with, sweet when you want to be, and you do care at times.”

These words should have cheered Vinyl up, had her dancing for joy and cheering to the outside world with cries of victory. Vinyl wasn't breathing however, jaw slightly agape as she tried to process the darker subtext in front of her. Something was still wrong, something still coming. The tears flowing now like leaky faucets, Octavia could hardly not her gaze with Vinyl any longer, a short sob escaping her throat. It was like being in a horrible nightmare in which all you could do was watch, rooted to the spot while everything unfolded and toppled around you like a long line of dominoes.

“I asked you to be there for me tonight. Just this once. You knew how long I had been waiting for this event, my first formal performance with the Canterlot Symphony, and how it's made me a nervous wreck these past few days.”

Vinyl silently agreed, having watched the mare jump from her sheet music, to the cello, to pacing around the living room so often that it seemed like some erratic dance between scenes of a movie. Once again these thoughts were short lived as Octavia's shaking voice cut the pause like a serrated knife through wood, sawing slowly, threatening to rip it apart.

“You promised you would show up for me. I don't ask a lot Vinyl, I just wanted you to be there for me. I waited patiently. When the show started, I searched for you constantly in the crowd. You weren't there.” Vinyl felt a deep shame burning in her chest, face burning in embarrassment. Even while staring at the floor, Vinyl could still hear the mare bite back her sobs with no avail, tears hitting the carpet only to disappear into the fabric, as though the house wanted to hide any trace of Octavia's sadness.

Vinyl tried to step forward once more, drop to her knees and beg for Octavia's forgiveness, tears brimming in her own eyes as she finally realized how much she'd been hurting her, even if she hadn't meant it. Vinyl hadn't ever wanted this, emotions rumbling throughout her that shook her deeply, each tear from Octavia like a knife through her heart, aching painfully. Octavia once again held her hoof out, shaking her head with a deep, calming breath. When she spoke next, her voice still was shaken, but more firm now.

“Vinyl. I can't keep doing this. I'm sorry, I know you want to party. I know you want to have fun with your friends, and I'm sure deep down you don't mean it. I can't take it anymore though. It's just one disappointment after the next, and I just. Can't. Do it.”

“Octavia.” Vinyl spoke softly, still pushing herself gently forward, the little filly inside of her whimpering loudly, trying to ignore the inevitable. “What are you saying?”

Octavia didn't answer at first, instead proceeding to stare at Vinyl quietly. Vinyl couldn't believe this. Octavia couldn't possibly mean she was leaving. There was no way. Against everything Vinyl willed to be so however, Octavia lowered her hoof from Vinyl's chest, turning to head for the stairs that lead to the second floor, Vinyl slowly following her like a lost puppy, eyes brimming with tears.

“Octavia, please!” Vinyl cried, her voice cracking with a pleading tone that sounded nothing like the cool, confident deejay who performed in front of hundreds, thousands even. Panic adding into the mess, she added. “Tell me!”

Vinyl paused at the bottom of the stairs as Octavia took two steps up, before turning her head to watch Vinyl once more. There was pity in her eyes, mingled with sadness, and even some of the anger that had been in the beginning of the argument. Vinyl watched her expectantly, eyes wide with disbelief, legs shaking in a manner that clearly had nothing to do with her alcohol consumption, this overwhelmingly depressing sensation darkening everything she'd dreamed for.

“I'm sorry, I really am. But you need to grow up. I can't deal with you like this.” She finally replied.

“So you're..leaving me?” Vinyl asked, her voice much higher, almost foal-like.

The next sentence plunged the unicorn's world into a type of chaos that not even Discord could have dreamed up in all of his spite.

“Yes, I am. It's over Scratch.”

Author's Note:

Reviews are appreciated.

Thanks for reading!