• Published 14th Jan 2017
  • 5,741 Views, 57 Comments

The Shadow of Sombra - Lupus_Umbra



A mercenary who's been in the business for too long finally met his end, or so he thought. Instead of dying, he's sent to another world filled with magic and problems. The biggest problem being himself, as he now has the 'Shadow Mage' in his head.

  • ...
6
 57
 5,741

Chapter 1

Have you ever wondered to yourself, what happens when you die? It's a simple question, but it is one that has never been found out. We have so many ideas of where you go and yet none of them has been proven. Well I believe that when you die, you are left in a dark space to float forever. I can already hear some of you asking why I believe this and it's simple.


As of now I am dead, or at least that's what I think I am. I always knew that this day would come. But to think that the day would come so soon, it surprised me, and not many things could do that. You're probably wondering who I am right now and how I got here. My name is Angelus Sombra. I'm fifty-seven years old man, with grey, and dark hair, and brown eyes, and I'm 6'2. But what is most people don't know about me is that I'm a mercenary. I started at a very young age, ten I believe, I was just a brat on the streets with no discipline. Living off of whatever I steal, wearing whatever I could get my hands on, and nonstop fighting. Until I was offered a chance at life by an old man, the only bad side though is that other lives had to be taken. that's enough about my past for now, it will be a story for another time let me tell you how I got here.

Four hours ago

Abandon warehouse

“N-No, stay back. Stay back! Stay back!" The man begged as he slowly attempted to crawl away from me. I took my time getting to him, I was in no rush and he was not getting away, at least not with his broken knee. " Please I'll do anything, do you want money? I'll pay you three time the amount of who ever sent you here." The man offered as I walked closer to him. when I got close to him, I brought my leg up and slammed it on his good knee

CRACK

Hearing the sound of bones breaking made me flinch as he screamed, but now I had him in a position where I could manipulate him to tell me anything.

"You know buddy, I've seen a lot of people like you. People that like to act hard to others, but as soon as you put them in the right situation, they break down and cry." I said looking down at him, trying to intimidate him.

"What do you want" He said through gritted teeth. Going down on one knee while still standing on his still broken knee, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a picture of a man. The man in the picture seemed to be in his early fifties with brown facial hair, one brown eye, and the other covered with a white eye patch that had a symbol .

"The man in this picture, where is he" I said while I applied pressure on his knee. The man whose picture I was holding was Abram Abramovich, he's wanted internationally on multiple accounts of murder, rape, sex and arms trafficking, kidnapping, and many more, and the person I was 'questioning' was his one of his best men Victor Almyra "And before you pull the ' I don't know him' crap. I just want you to know that I have enough items in this warehouse to make you wish you were dead."

" I can't! he'll kill me if I tell you!" He cried, biting his lip hard enough to draw blood. I took my foot off of his knee and walked away. " What are you doing?" He asked as he watching me walk away. I knelled down to reach something, letting the item I picked up drag against the floor, and turned around to show him. It was a rusty pipe, the fear in his eyes as I walked back was indescribable.

" Victor, I want you to know right now-" I cut myself off as I slammed the pipe right next to his head " I'm willing to kill you. So you ether tell me where he is hiding, or I beat you with this pipe until these walls are painted with your blood." I said bringing the pipe to my shoulder.

"I-It's in my pocket." He sobbed, looking down to the ground. Bending down, I reached into his pocket and pulled out a slip of folded paper. Opening the paper I was greeted with coordinates.

" All this work, and the location was in you pocket." I said, turning to the exit. " If I were you, I'd try to find a safe location to lay low for awhile." I advised, I didn't get a response, but I still walked out, not caring whether I did or not.

Two hours later

After looking up the location of the coordinates, and changing into my hunting clothes I arrived at what appeared to be a abandoned, three story building in the center of a forest. Looking around the building I saw no guards on the the door, not wanting to risk taking the front door I tried to look for a different way in. Luckily I was able to find a open window on the second floor, their were multiple loose bricks on the building so scaling it was easy. When I got to the window I heard voices.

" If any one of them stop working, make them an example." I heard someone say, followed by the sound of a cocking gun. Looking up from the window I saw two men in black masks in front of me, one of them was armed with a assault riffle, and a handgun on the left, the other guard only had a handgun. The guard with the assault riffle nodded his head, and looked over a railing. I looked over the railings to and saw a large group of unhealthy, tired people packing weapons in black metal boxes. All of them looked like they were going to faint at any minute.

"Any idea when these guns are going to go out? I'm tired of looking after these people." The first guard said, letting the assault riffle hang over the railing.

" You don't have a choice." The second guard sighed, putting the gun in its holster, " The guns go out by the morning, the guns should be packed and ready to be loaded by the next hour. At least that's what I heard from the other guards." He explained, as he finished I begun to climb inside the building and unsheathed my knives

" Finally, I'll be out of here by tomorrow." He almost sang, not aware of what was about to happen to both of them. putting my left knife in a reverse grip, I slammed the knife into his neck.

"Wha-" Before the other guard could finish, I shoved my right knife through his chin, ending his life almost instantly. Taking both knives out of the bodies, I sheathed them. picking up the guards, I tossed them out the window I came from, along with the weapons they dropped.

I looked over the railings to see if anyone noticed, luckily no one did. looking around I saw three other guards, along with a door labeled 'STAIRS'. Making my way to the door I had no trouble, which I found suspicious, I expected a lot more guards to find me. As I was about to open the door, the door opened and I saw a the barrel of a pistol peek from the door. On instinct, I slammed the door on the hand, causing the gun to fall, I opened the door and was greeted by another masked face griping his left hand in pain. With his right hand he reached for his back and drew a knife, and tried to stab me in my head. I managed to get my hand under his wrist before he could get me and we stood there in a struggle for a few seconds before he tried to call for help.

"Hey! thr-" He tried to call before I chopped him in his throat, causing him to go into a coughing fit. I didn't give him the time to recover, I gave him a jab straight to the nose, I felt it break under my fist, before giving him a strong hook to his jaw, I finished him off by grabbing his shoulders and pulling him to the floor while bringing my knee, knocking him out cold. I went up the stairs at a fast pace, I had to find Abram before they discovered the body. I reached the top of the stairs and saw a door, I opened it slightly and I saw a guard a few feet away from the door. I closed the door and drew my knife before I knocked on the door.

" It's open!" The guard said through the door, I still knock. " It's open!" The guard repeated, starting to sound annoyed, but I still knocked. " Conner I swear if this is another one of your jokes I'm going to kill you." He said, sticking his head out the door, not noticing me. I saw a opening in his neck and I went for it. The knife went through his throat like butter, he tried to stop the blood from flowing from his neck, he looked right at me while the blood fell from his neck, before falling to the floor. I put a strong kick into the doorknob to break it off before I pulled him back into the hallway and left his body leaning on the door. I looked in both directions only to see long hallways on ether side. I didn't have a lot of time til the morning. The hallway to my right had a window that was open, I decided to move towards it. When I got to the window and noticed it looked wet, I thought that someone might have got into the building without the guards noticing. I looked down and saw foot prints, one of their shoes must have been wet, I followed the tracks until I reached the end of the hallway.

I peaked around the corner and saw a lot of door, but no guards, now I was really starting to get suspicious. I've seen birds nest with more security then what Abram had going on here, nothing seemed right. I continued to follow the footprints until I reached a black, wooden door, this time I was cautious, drawing my magnum instead of my knife. I slowly opened the door careful not to make to much noise.

When I opened the door, I saw Abram laying over a desk in a room that seemed to have alot of space. He was completely limp, I walked up to him and put my finger to his neck to feel for a pulse, he didn't have one.

"What the hell, you're already dead?" I said, I put my gun away and examined the body to see what killed him. He didn't have any holes in his body, so a gun is definitely out of the question. I lifted him up from the table and opened his mouth, he seemed to cough out blood before dying, as the inside of him moth was covered in blood.

"So you ate a poison, how?" I asked. Before I could keep looking around, I felt a sharp sting in my neck. I turned around and saw one of the gaurds, holding a needle in his hand. I tried to fight him by throwing a series of strikes. But every attack I through was ether dodged or parried, each one getting slower. He finally decided to attack me by giving me a solid back fist to the chin, causing me to fall down. I tried to get back up, but my body wasn't responding

"You won't be able to get up." The guard said, but I still kept trying.

"What the hell did you do to me?" I grunted, getting on my hands and knees.

"I've injected a heavy amount of Nero toxins inside you." He chuckled, and with his back turned to me, he pulled the mask off of his face. "Hey, do you recognize me?" He asked, turning around. He was a young man that was in his late twenties that had thick, brown hair, with eyes the same color, and a cocky grin on his face.

"Víbora." I said with venom in my voice. He was another mercenary like me, he specializes in assassinations with poisons being his favorite method of killing. I've worked with him for a few contract and wanted nothing more then to strangle the living fuck out of his cocky ass.

"Oh! So you do recognize me. That's fantastic!" He said in an up beat tone, like he just won a prize.

"What the fuck do you want." I said.

"Do you know that there is a contract that's willing to pay two million for your head on a platter?" He asked, walking the Abram's body and shoved it off of the chair it was on and took a seat. "With the money I'm going going to get from killing you, along with Abram. I won't need to take another contact for a few years." He laughed, drawing a pistol.

"You killed Abram?" I asked, now noticing how hard it was to stand up on my hands and knees.

"Yes!" He said, attaching a silencer to his pistol. "I poisoned his breakfast earlier. The idiot couldn't even tell than he was eating a Daphne jam instead of strawberry." He said, walking towards me and aimed the pistol at my head. "Let's end this small talk, it's really boring. Any words you want me to pass on?" He joked, my only response was me spitting at his shoes, before he unloaded the pistol on me.

Present

That's how I ended up dying, some cocky jackass got the jump on me before I could give him a good fight. Never got to follow the last rule did I? Whatever, nothing that I can do about it now. I began to look back on my entire life, all the fights that I got in when I was still on the street, the training that nearly killed me, my first solo contract.

"I really never got away from the violence, did I?" I grumbled, ironically, violence was the very thing that I tried to get away from. But there was too much in the world, to the point where to get away you'd have to be completely isolated from the world or try to cleanse what you can. And I was stupid enough to do the second choice.

I sighed at all I did to try to help, if I was being honest, I knew it was a bad choice in my early thirties. But by that time, I had so many people after me that I couldn't just up and leave, I had to take care of them first. Abram was the last person that was after me (or so I thought). "Looks like I won't have to worry about them anymore." I chuckled, "What would I give for a second chance?" I said randomly, it was mostly because of the moment that made me ask that.

I suddenly felt my arm be grabbed and pulled, I immediately reacted and tried to attack what ever had me. But I only saw a tar like sludge around my arm, I tried to pull my arm away, but it wouldn't budge. I grabbed my knife and began to hack at it, but all it did was dull the edge of my knife. The sludge slowly made it's way to my shoulder and soon enough, my chest. It wasn't long before it got all of my body, I didn't know what this thing was doing. But whatever it was doing, it hurt, a lot. It felt as if it was breaking every bone in my body, and crushing my organs. When It covered my face I pasted out from the pain.

Location: Everfree Forest

My eyes shot open, but were immediately blurred by the water that surrounded me. I flailed around to see which way was up, I saw a light and swam towards it. When I reached the surface, I went to the edge of the pond and coughed my lungs out. I looked up and saw a row of large trees. I got out of the water and took deep breaths. I stood up and tried to step forward, but instead fell forward. I laid down for awhile, and shivered as a strong gust of wind. After five minutes I was able to sit up and look around.

" Where the hell am I?" I asked, looking around. That did little to nothing, as all I could see was rows of trees. I shivered once again as another strong breeze past me. 'I've got to let my clothes dry.' I thought, where ever I was it was really windy. And when you're stuck in a windy forest cold, with no medication for god know how many miles. The last thing you want to be is sick. luckily for me, there was a rock on the other side of the pond that had sunlight on it. Before I headed towards it, I noticed that something was missing, I looked down and saw that my cloak was missing. I looked towards the pond and saw it floating close to the edge. leaning towards the edge, I grabbed my cloak and wronged it. Getting as much water as I can out. I took my mask off as well and looked at it for any damage, besides a small dent, it was fine. I look to my reflection in the pond and gasped in shock.

In the pond was not me, it instead showed me a young man. The young man had rather messy black hair that almost reaches down to his shoulders, along with some strands pointing upwards on top of his head and a prominent tuft obscuring most of his forehead. He had red eyes with slit pupils similar to that of a snake's. He was wearing the same clothes that I was, except smaller. I recognized the young man that was staring back at me, it was me when I was fifteen. I couldn't believe that it was me, but everything except the eyes were exactly the same. I brought a hand to my face, the teen in the pond mimicked my actions.

'What happened to me?' I wondered, I tried to remember the events that led up to this moment. 'I remember being stuck on a void, thinking about all that happened in my life, and then that tar got me.' I recalled, before I had an idea of what did this to me. 'The tar! Maybe that's what did this to me.' I concluded, it was the only logical answer I could come up with. And that's if there is any logic behind this.

I began walking towards the rock, still trying to see how I even ended up in that pond. Teleporting was impossible, but then again I was in a void and attacked by that tar and I'm in my fifteen year old body, so maybe that wasn't so far fetched. When I reached the rock, I began to strip and lay my clothes to dry. " And now we wait." I said to myself, and began to examine all of my gear, and analyze what happened to me.

Thirty minutes later

After waiting a short while, my cloths were finally dry and ready to be worn again, except my mask, to which I clipped to my side. My boots were moist, but I didn't worry about that, Instead I tried to figure out where to go. I looked at the sun, it was starting to set.

"I've got to find a town soon." I told myself, not wanting to be out when it was dark. And with that I set off to the east. I know that it wasn't a good idea just to go in a random direction, but I didn't have much of a choice.

It seemed fortune was finally on my side, as after walking for a mile I was greeted with a path of dirt, there wasn't only one path though, there were three. Each one lead to a different direction, but I didn't know where. I walked to the center of the the three paths and tried to figure out which path to take. That was before I saw the sign that was barley readable with the aging paint, and chipped wood.

Ponyville

six miles away

That was all that I could make out of the sign. The name made me chuckle, it sounded like the name was ripped right out of a kids T.V. show. I decided to go down this path as it was my best chance at reaching a town.

'I've never heard of a town know as 'Ponyville'.' I thought to myself, thinking about all the places that "Ponyville" could be in. As I continued down the path, I looked ahead and saw four children; one boy, and three girls. They seemed to be having a nice walk in the fore-

"Wait, are they being chased?" I asked to myself, The kids looked like they were sprinting as if the devil was on their heels. Their pursuers showed up a second later, and to say that I was surprised was an under statement. Following them could only be described as three large wooden wolfs. their green eyes focused on the children, closing the distance with every bark and snarl that they through at them. The same went for me, as the distance was closing quickly and I was conflicted. On one hand, I could easily jump to the side and hide in a bush, all I would have to do is wait for them to pass and I would be safe. On the other hand, I could try to fight these things off and let them get away, but risk myself in the process. I didn't know what these things could do, not only that but I was now younger, so my mind was going towards the second option, but they are just kids, and I couldn't just let them die. With my mind made up, I looked up into the sky and said this.

"I better get a one-way ticket to the afterlife up there." And with that, I set off the face the wooden canidaes.

Spikes P.O.V

If I were to describe the experience I was having in one emotion, it would be terror. Right now, I was running from a pack of timber wolves along with the C.M.C., only Celestia knows how long we have been running for.

"Why did I let you girls talk me in to this?" I scream while running from the series of snarls and barks behind us, each one growing louder and louder.

" We said we were sorry already." Applebloom said doing the same activity as me.

"Sorry isn't going to get rid of the wolves behind us." I yell, we continued to run, until we saw a guy walking towards us . "Run away!" I yelled to him, he seemed to have not heard me as he was still walking forward. We got closer to him once again I warned him. "Run, there are timber wolves behind us." I told him, grabbing his arm and pulling him the opposite direction, he look at the wolves and sighed.

"Go on, I'll take care of them." He said, walking towards the wolves.

"Are you insane, those things will eat you alive." Sweetie belle said, her voice cracking

"Well, I'm facing wooden wolves that I've never seen before to save kids I don't know. So maybe I am a little insane." He deadpanned. We just stood there, shocked at what he just said. The guy that was maybe a few years older then us, was going to take three large timber wolves head on. I then saw the first wolf lunge at him and what we saw made our jaws drop. In a matter of seconds, he drew one of the two knifes from his back and slammed it into the wolf head and went into a kneeling position, making the head along with the entire body hit the ground with enough force to lift dust into the the air. The wolf that was stuck under the knife was still alive and tried to get up, but before it could, he ripped the knife from the head to the nose, effectively killing it.

The second wolf went to lunge at him while he was still kneeling, but he didn't let the wolf have the advantage. He grabbed the wolf's head mid jump and using the wolf's momentum against it, he rolled backwards while putting his foot on its abdomen and when he came back up he was straddling the wolf. The wolf tried to fight him off, but the best he got was a scratch on his forearm, before he shoved the knife into the wolf's eye and twisted it to dig further into its head. Another one dead, and he did this with just a knife while everyone I knew had to run to the safety of the town.

The last wolf didn't wait for him to recover and jumped right on top of him. The wolf immediately tried to take chunks out of him by biting at his head, the only thing preventing that was the guys foot on its chest. It looks like he finally decided to use his knife, as he drew the other knife and stab the wolf under it's jaw. That didn't stop it as it kept barking and biting at him, putting his other knife to use, he stabbed it on top of its muzzle, clamping its jaw shut. The guy pulled the head of the wolf toward his body, and the body away. After a solid minute of pulling and pushing, the head of the wolf was brutally torn away from its body, while the body was pushed in the other direction, the sap of the wolf poured on his face. Taking his knives out of head the guy got up, taking heavy breaths and sap covering his face, and walked towards us. We were on our butts by this, as watching what happened in front of us caused or legs to weaken. When he got close to us, he asked us one thing.

"Why didn't you guys run?"

Author's Note:

Alright guys, here you go. there first chapter of my first story, I don't really have much to say on what I have here, but maybe you guys do. So please tell me how I did and I'll hopefully be able to please you guys in the next chapter, so until next time

Lupus out.