• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 1,422 Views, 35 Comments

"I'm always here for you." - Penroseamber



Button Mash's mother dies in a tragic accident, leaving him parentless. Yet, in the rainbow after the hurricane, comes Sweetie Belle, who offers for him to stay with her and Rarity for a while. Feelings develop, and secrets unfold.

  • ...
10
 35
 1,422

The Offer

Button Mash was indifferent to the brightly coloured living room of Carousel Boutique, or the chattering Element Of Generosity. All he wanted was to crash somewhere and weep, again, for his lost mother.

Sweetie Belle, noticing his distress, lay a hoof over her sister's shoulder. Her emerald eyes burned with understanding.

She and her sister shared an unhappy glance, then Rarity smiled half-heartedly as she bade Button goodnight.

"Come on.... I'll show you to your room." Sweetie Belle nudged the colt.

His senses felt as if they had shut down. He couldn't register where they were going, how close Sweetie Belle was, or even which direction he was going in. All he could think about was his mother.

His mother.... she had been alive and happy, three days ago. Curse that stupid, sick baby. If that stupid mother hadn't whined about dirt and dangers and whatever, his mother wouldn't have gone into the forest. If that stupid forest cobra hadn't bitten her, she would've been alive!

And with him.

He wouldn't have had to temporarily stay at Carousel Boutique. He wouldn't have been pulled out of school. He wouldn't have had to feel the lash of his aunt's words.


Sweetie Belle could plainly see the distress in her friend's eyes. The longing, the pain, the acceptance... she had been like that too. When her parents died in the train accident, she hadn't been there. Just like Button. She hadn't been able to say the last goodbye. Just like Button. Most could argue that Applebloom had been through the same, but, well, she hadn't known her parents. She hadn't been able to hear their voices, or see their faces. Knowledge hurt, yet ignorance had been Applebloom's one weapon.

Sweetie Belle inhaled before pushing the door to the guest room open. It was nicely decorated, with a modest bed and a desk. There were paintings around the wall and various bits of furniture scattered around the room.

"Here, Button." she whispered, laying him down on the bed like a mother would her child. The teenager tucked him in, and was about to leave when her charge caught her hoof.

"Stay with me... please." the colt whispered hoarsely, biting his lip.

What the heck? Why not? Sweetie Belle thought, a light blush on her cheeks as she sat on the bed next to Button Mash.

"You.... you're okay, right? Besides... everything?" she asked, folding her forehooves in her lap to make herself comfortable.

The colt looked weary. Bags were starting to form under his eyes, and she could see the tired slump in his shoulders.

"Sweetie... Belle... Can you..."

He was struggling to find the right words, yet somehow Sweetie Belle knew exactly what he wanted.

"Hush, sweetheart." she soothed, feeling awkward about the situation.

Their eyes met, and Sweetie Belle felt lost in the gentle chestnut of his eyes.

"Sleep well, Button."

Author's Note:

Sappy, I know. I'm... lost. There's just so many things I have to deal with right now. Like my aunt's funeral, my best friend getting cyberbullied, my computer not working, homework issues.... seriously, writing is all I have now.