• Published 19th Aug 2016
  • 1,830 Views, 53 Comments

The Infestation of Canterlot High School - Bonster



Chrysalis’s second invasion was an incredible success—Equestria has fallen, and it seems like there isn’t anypony left to save it. But when Chrysalis stumbles across a mirror in Friendship Castle, it might not be ponies she has to worry about.

  • ...
9
 53
 1,830

One - Read

One - Read

Dear Twilight,

I hope everything’s going well in Equestria! I’m just writing to check in.

No, that’s a lie. I’m writing because I’m bored. Sue me.

It seems like forever since your last visit. Speaking of which, the Twilight over here is fitting in nicely. I think she’s a little… weirded out by your visit. I’m sure you can understand—only, when you two met, you came in with the experience of having already met yourself before and a life of studying magic. So, she’s predictably a bit shell-shocked from the whole ordeal. Occasionally during a lull in a conversation she’ll say something like “Oh my god, there’s another me,” or “Holy shit I’m a horse.” Pardon my language. Or, well, her language. Your language? Gah, this is confusing.

Oh, she joined the Rainbooms! Turns out she has just as good a singing voice as you do. The band’s actually doing really well. Well, not really well. Pretty well. We’re selling some records, and we got a few gigs with okay turnouts. We’ve had to tone it down recently, though. Turns out people are getting a tad bit suspicious of, you know, the magical pony powers.

On that note, my study of how magic works over here is going great now that Twilight is working with me. I honestly have no idea how someone her age is building stuff that can locate, store, measure, and (crudely) utilize magic. I mean, she didn’t even know what it was when she was studying it before the friendship games! I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. She is you, after all.

The girls are wondering when you’re going to be able to make it back out here, too. They’re looking forward to a more casual get-together without imminent threats or existential crises, and honestly, so am I. We talk a lot over the journals, but we’ve never really been able to just talk, you know? Please respond as soon as you can!

Your friend,

Sunset Shimmer

Sunset closed the journal and slid it back into her backpack with a faint smile. She checked her phone—it was about time she headed home. She’d stayed late to help Rarity with her math analysis homework, and even later to pen Twilight a letter, so the campus was mostly empty. She hoped the princess would respond soon. Everybody was eager to see her again, especially Sunset; she had made some breakthrough progress in her magical research, and had a few theories she wanted to bounce off of her.

*Vworp*

“Huh?”

Sunset turned to the noise. Nothing immediately unusual stood out to her until she looked at the wondercolt statue; was the surface of the portal rippling, or was it the light?

“Hello? Twilight, is that you?”

Sunset ran up to the portal, but didn’t see anyone. Was she just imagining it? A few scattered squirrels watched the girl with piercing green eyes as she walked off, suspiciously examining the portal over her shoulder before crossing the street.


“Ahm sorry, Sunset, but from what yer sayin’, it doesn’t seem like anythin’ we should be worryin’ about. Are ya sure ya weren’t just hearin’ things?”

“I know it isn’t much to go off of, Applejack, but I’m confident in my own sanity.”

The farmer shrugged. “Well, if ya say so. But what are we even supposed ta do about it?”

“Are you sure it wasn’t just a leaf or something blowing through the portal?” Questioned Rainbow, her mouth full of pizza.

“Rainbow Dash! Don’t talk with your mouth full!” Rarity chastised, holding up a hand to shield her eyes from the girl’s greasy face. “Didn’t your mother teach you anything?” Dash shrugged.

“To answer your question,” said Twilight, “objects can’t move through the portal on their own. They have to be worn or carried by something alive. So, if something really did come through the portal, then it must have been something sentient.”

“And in that case, we should be worried, because whatever came through the portal was obviously trying to hide from me.” Sunset paused to take a drink of water. “I’m not saying we need to take up arms or anything. Just keep your eyes open for anything strange.”

“Alrighty, captain!” Pinkie saluted Sunset, one of her trademark grins on her face. “I love playing I Spy!”

Sunset felt something prod her in the shoulder. She turned to see Fluttershy quietly eating her sandwich while pointing to Sunset’s backpack. It was emitting a faint buzzing sound.

“Ooh!” Squealed Pinkie, “Sunset’s got a text! What did she say? What did she say?”

“Ah think we’re about to find out, Pinkie. Hold your horses.”

“Oh, silly AJ, I can’t reach Sunset from here!”

Six groans filled the lunchroom.

“Whaat? I thought it was good!”

“Pinkie, dear, we agreed that horse puns were off the table. Frankly, they’re even worse than the kind of jokes Rainbow makes.”

“Hey, I saw you holding back your laughter in government yesterday when I pulled that prank on Ms. Harshwhinny!”

“Um, Rainbow, didn’t you get detention for that?”

“Exactly, Fluttershy!” Rarity exclaimed. “I was simply laughing at how stupid you were being.”

Sunset dropped the journal on the lunch table with a loud thump, causing her friends to turn their attention to her.

Applejack tapped her finger against the table. “Sunset, didn’t ya send her th’ message yesterday afternoon?”

Rainbow snorted. “Don’t tell me you’re surprised. She hasn’t exactly been quick with replying.”

Pinkie bounced in her seat. “Ooh! Maybe she had to fix a horrible cake shortage in Equestria! Or maybe Fluttershy locked herself in a magical janitor’s closet and they couldn’t get her out! Or maybe a baby broke a timeless and irreplaceable artifact, unleashing ancient spirits of hate and frost on a lost empire! Or maybe—”

“Dear Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset proclaimed from across the table, cutting Pinkie off. “Sorry! I won’t be able to come over for quite some time. I’m a bit… ‘hung up’ at the moment. Tell our friends that I’ll be there as soon as I can. Your friend, Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Sunset read the rather short message again before sighing. “Well, darn. I was really looking forward to her.”

Rainbow laughed. “Yeah, that’s what she said.”

Rainbow!” Rarity’s voice nearly shattered the windows. “This is exactly what I’m talking about!”

“ ‘Sides, Rainbow,” sneered Applejack, elbowing her friend in the side, “I wouldn’t be pushin’ it after what you and Cloud Kicker got up to.”

Rainbow’s face caught fire as Applejack laughed at her expense. Fluttershy nearly disappeared under the table.

“Hey, Sunset…” Twilights voice was so soft that Sunset almost didn’t hear her over Pinkie Pie shouting something about Rainbow Dash sitting in a tree, and Rainbow’s ensuing red-faced denial.

“What is it?”

“That’s not my handwriting.”

Sunset looked down at the journal. Twilight’s voice wasn’t soft; it was scared.

Sunset leaned back in her chair and pulled the journal to her face, accidentally bumping into a passing Bon Bon. After a quick apology, she returned her focus to the book.

“I suppose it does look a bit more crude. But I don’t think it’s really a cause for worry; she’s probably really stressed or in a hurry or something. She’s like that.”

Twilight hummed. “Yeah, it’s probably nothing.”

Neither of them were convinced.

The bell’s ringing pushed them from their seats and out of the lunchroom, along with all the other students.

“And then she said, ‘Annihilation? I thought her name was Susan!’ ”

Rainbow, doubled over, wiped a tear from her eye. “Oh, Pinkie, that’s the best joke you’ve made all week!”

“I don’t get it,” Fluttershy murmured.

“Well, it’s quite simple, really.” Twilight adjusted her glasses. “See, the juxtapositioning and comical contrast of the name ‘Susan’ and…”

Sunset let the bickering of her friends fade into the background as she laid a hand on the journal. Twilight… Is everything okay over there?


“Hello, HQ, do you read me? Over.”

“Well enough, Agent—” The line buzzed with static, drowning out the speaker’s next few words.

“I’m getting a bit of interference. We should invest in new communicators soon. Over.”

“I’ll see if I can get approval. Your report? Over.”

“The anomalous students seemed to be deliberating the possibility of another extradimensional threat. They seemed unsure. Over.”

“You know more than I—do you suggest we take action? Over.”

“I feel we should wait for further developments. We don’t want to risk blowing our cover. Over.”

“I’ll trust your judgement; just make sure to report if you see anything… uh…”

“Magical?”

“…Yes. That word sounds so unprofessional is all. If it were anybody other than you, Agent—” more static—“then I wouldn’t believe all of these claims of winged students and other dimensions. Is that all? Over.”

“Yes. Over and out.”