• Published 17th Aug 2016
  • 666 Views, 27 Comments

The Music Makers - Talon and Thorn



When Ponyville-School gets money to set up its own band it looks like it will be good business for Medley but when a pair of flamboyant stallions turn up in town offering cheaper instruments Bluenote and Cheerilee have a hard decision to make

  • ...
1
 27
 666

Third Movement - Part Two - Ponyville School Band

“Ok everypony!” called Bluenote to the excited and nervous crowd of foals as they milled around backstage. “Are you all ready to have fun?”

There was a rather half-hearted cheer from the crowd.

“And has everypony made sure to use the bathroom?” asked Cheerilee rather more practically.

“Have you actually decided what we’re going to play?” pointed out Medley.

“Yep,” nodded Bluenote looking a little nervous beneath her bluster. “We’re going to start with the national anthem.” Medley considered for a moment then nodded, that made sense. It was a good crowd pleaser, not that complicated, and they had some good singers. She glanced over at Sweetie Belle and Diamond Tiara, the former looked scared and the latter excited. As long as they could get the two of them to work together properly things should go well. Although on the other hoof the anthem was usually more of a closing number than an opening one. “Ok, Silver,” continued Bluenote, “you’re on piano, Button and First Base, Guitar. Sweetie you and Diamond will be singing. Don’t worry, you’ll both do great.”

“I know I will, but are you certain we need her as well?” said Diamond Tiara, her muzzle in the air.

“You’re both good singers,” pointed out Bluenote, “but together you’re exceptional. Just look out for each other alright, and don’t be nervous. I believe in you both.”

“Are you sure?” squeaked Sweetie. “This is the princess's song and she’s right out there!” She peered around the curtains to try and get a glimpse of the monarch.

“Actually, the current national anthem is even older than Princess Cadence. It was written not long after the unification of the tribes,” exclaimed Cheerilee. “But that doesn’t really matter right now,” she said quickly, “just go out there and do your best and I’m sure the princess will be happy.”

“What about me! Can I help?” asked Dinky Hooves hopping up and down on two hooves excitedly. She slipped and tumbled to the ground, taking a pair of nearby colts with her with a crash. “I want to help!” she exclaimed from the pile of pony parts she ended up in.

“Of course you can,” exclaimed Bluenote helping the foals back to their hooves. “You’ve got the most important part! The triangle! Just remember to only use it at the end this time,” she warned. During rehearsals Dinky had gotten a little overexcited and hadn’t stopped banging her chosen instrument.

“Ok,” said the young filly, looking a little unsure.

“Just watch Medley. She’ll give you a nod when it’s time,” suggested Bluenote. Her friend nodded her agreement.

“I can do that!” exclaimed Dinky rushing towards the stage.

“I’m sure you can,” said Bluenote not looking quite as sure any more. “Ok, places everypony, good luck!” She watched as the small group of foals trotted onto the stage and took their places before she nodded to the stage hoof next to her who lit her horn and turned on the lighting. “Ok Medley, just keep an eye on them for a minute. I want start work on the next act.”

“Got it,” said Medley as the music teacher started to gather together most of the foals in a huddle in a corner. She turned back towards the stage as the curtain started to rise. Sweetie stared nervously into the audience stretching up in front of her and even Diamond looked rather intimidated. Trying to look reassuring Medley gestured towards the band and indicated they should start playing. Silver Spoon paused for a moment, apparently concentrating before she began to run her hooves over the keyboard. The notes produced were quickly joined by the two colts playing strings. After a few seconds the two vocalists began their parts.

Medley felt some of her stress flow out of her as the performance started, the foals really were good. Maybe not perfect but their hearts were in the right place.

“Hi there,” came a sultry voice from nearby. Medley turned to find Adagio standing right next to her, so close their muzzles were almost touching. Her eyes widened, what was the Crystal Prep teacher doing here? The thought was quickly replaced by more important considerations, like whether her mane was tidy, how her breath smelt and why it was suddenly so warm. “What...” she eventually managed to exclaim.

“Am I doing back here?” completed the unicorn with a smile which almost set Medley’s face on fire. “I must have gotten lost somehow,” she shrugged, “do you think you could be a dear and show me back to my seat? It’s so very dark back here, so many secluded cubby holes we could get lost in.” She winked and ran a hoof down Medley’s foreleg.

“Sure!” the word erupted from Medley’s mouth almost without thinking. It felt like some force was drawing her towards the other mare, like she was some sort of curvy magnet. This really wasn’t like her, she normally kept herself under control only letting herself run wild occasionally, but she felt so light headed.

“Thanks,” said Adagio giving another smile and starting to head away from the stage.

Medley took a step after her, then another, then she stopped. She frowned, there was something she had to do wasn’t there? “Dinky!” she gasped. “I’m sorry... I... I need to stay here, the class needs help.”

Adagio stopped and looked back, a frown darkening her face, lit from below by the glow of the gem at her throat. “I’m sure they don’t need you that much, not as much as you need me.”

“Need you?” muttered Medley her face scrunching up. That didn’t sound quite right although a large part of her mind was screaming that it sounded perfect. “I... no, the class needs me right now. Bluenote needs me.” She glanced over towards the music teacher who was demonstrating something to the foals.

“But think about what you could be missing,” whispered Adagio arching her back before stepping back once more. Most of her form was covered by the shadows apart from the ruby glow from her throat. Medley felt herself pulled forwards as if a rubber band was wrapped around her and the other mare. Would it really be that bad to take just a little time off, for herself? Why should she work for the foals? For Bluenote? What did they ever do for her except cost her time and bits? In front of her Adagio started to hum gently. Medley’s attention was immediately drawn to her lightly vibrating lips, they seemed to glisten in the red glow. She felt the band tighten forcing her to lean forwards, almost dragging her hooves across the floor.

Something wasn’t right, she needed to think. The unicorns humming although quite seemed to fill her head washing away any attempt to concentrate. Then suddenly there seemed to be a second sound the same yet in some way opposite to the first. Off to one side her harp sat unattended, the faint whisper of a breeze stroking its strings producing a soothing sound which seemed to clear her head for a moment. Bluenote was her friend, she’d made sure she paid her for the instruments out of her own pocket, she’d apologised. Something was wrong wasn’t it? Where was the light coming from? Suddenly the illusionary band snapped and Medley almost felt herself thrown backwards away from the mare in front of her. A mare who suddenly seemed much less attractive. She was still stunning, but just a mare, the strange magnetism seemed to have evaporated and Adagio’s face was marred by the look of rage which flashed over it. “Loyalty!” she snarled before turning and trotting off into the darkness.

Medley shook herself, what just happened? Things felt a little unreal, as if she’d been dreaming. She looked around and saw that Adagio had vanished, had she just imagined the whole thing? Her ears picked up as she recognised the last verse of the national anthem. She spun around and turned her attention back to the stage.

Equestria, the land I love, sang the two fillies, their voices harmonising into a single pure note which flowed out into the hall
A land of harmony
Our flag does wave from high above
For ponykind to see, a wide smile spread over Sweetie’s face as she began to get into the swing of things. Diamond only just managed to keep up with her.

Equestria, a land of friends
Where ponykind do roam, suddenly Sweetie’s voice cracked from the emotion causing her to squeak and her eyes widened in horror. However, not missing a beat Diamond picked up the slack leaning gently against her companion as she quickly recovered.
They say true friendship never ends
Equestria, my home, they finished once again together.

Medley glanced over to Dinky who was almost vibrating with excitement, her instrument’s beater held at the ready in her aura. She nodded and the filly struck the triangle to create the closing note of the music.

There was a moment’s silence, then the audience erupted into applause. From the wings Bluenote watched the audience stomp their appreciation. Even the Princess took to her hooves. The only quiet section was that occupied by Crystal Prep where the staff and students reacted politely but icily, and even there one or two of the students were showing some enthusiasm before being cowed by a glare from their principal.

“Well done kids!” called Bluenote as the performers galloped off the stage. “Good job Diamond.”

“As if there was ever any doubt” said the filly haughtily before her composure broke and she scampered over to her friend Silver Spoon, the two of them hopping around in excited circles.

“I’m sorry miss,” said Sweetie her ears drooping. “I messed up.”

“No you didn’t,” said Bluenote. “You showed all of them out there just how much you love our country, a few dud notes aren’t much to pay for that.”

“Really?” she asked brightening up.

“Really. So trot over to the rest of the class, we’ll have to get ready for the next act.”

“Are you finally going to tell me what it is?” asked Medley.

“I’m thinking Boogie Woogie Bugle Colt, it’ll get their hooves tapping,” she pranced around for a moment, her hooves clattering against the floor.

Medley frowned. “Are you sure?” she glanced around at the foals and lowered her voice. “It wasn’t their best when we rehearsed. The brass section isn’t the strongest. I know you like jazz but maybe the judges would prefer classical?”

“Who doesn’t like an upbeat number? Besides we’re not playing for the judges, we’re here to enjoy ourselves.”

Medley clenched her teeth. “We are playing for the judges! We want to win so I can get my money, remember!” Of course Bluenote wouldn’t take this seriously! She didn’t have as much to lose!

Seeing her friend’s agitation Bluenote calmed a little. “Look, your idea of the canon wasn’t bad and the kids are really good but it’s so dull! There’s no way we can beat Crystal Prep on a technical front, we have to make the audience enjoy our performance more, warts and all. With Bugle we can manage that. Trust me.”

“Like you-” Medley bit back her own retort, “fine.” She took a deep breath. “I trust you. You’ve put yourself on the line as well, and you know this sort of thing better than me.”

Bluenote smiled and rested a hoof on her friend’s back. “Thanks, I won’t let you down.” She turned back to the rest of the class. “Ok kids, ready? Scoots, we need you to make those drums really sing. All you brass players will get a chance to show what you can do. Everypony try your best. I want to have the whole audience bouncing in their seats!”

“Aren't you going to be out there with them?” asked Medley.

“I’m saving me for the finale,” said Bluenote with a grin.

Hoping that Bluenote had made the right decision Medley ran her eyes over the foals as they rushed out onto the stage. She noticed a certain scared looking colt hanging around at the edge of the stage, his knees knocking in fear. She trotted over to him. “Featherweight?” she asked as gently as she could manage but still causing the foal to almost leap into the rafters. “How are you feeling?”

“F-f-fine,” he lied.

Awkwardly, Medley reached over and patted the colt on the back. “I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about, you’ll be fine out there.”

“I s-suppose so, but those other schools seem to be really really good. We don’t really have to beat them do we?” the foal’s large eyes looked up into hers.

“Well... no I suppose we don’t, you just need to do as well as you can. That’s all you can do, right?”

“I-I guess so,” said Featherweight, his legs shaking a little less. “I’ll just-” he began before Twist rushed over and grabbed him by a leg and dragged him onto the stage. He stood there amongst the rest of the class, eyes still locked on Medley.

Medley tried to give him a calming smile and a hooves up. “Still, winning would be nice,” she quietly muttered.

“Ok, everypony,” cried Bluenote. “Knock them dead!”

On stage the lights once again flicked on to illuminate the kids. For a moment there was silence then, licking his lips, Featherweight raised his bugle and blew a few clear notes into the air. At the other end of the stage Scootaloo started up a beat on the drums, hopping up and down on her seat as she went, wings blurring. Then came in the rest of the brass and strings bouncing along in time with the percussion.

In the wings Bluenote found that she couldn’t stop her hoof from tapping along with the beat. Next to her Cheerilee began to prance back and forth before swinging around on the spot, much to the amusement of the foals that weren't on stage.

“See what did I tell you,” said Bluenote pointing out into the audience. Certainly the judges seemed to be affected in the same way as they were. One rather plump unicorn mare was waving her pen around in time to the music while an elderly earth pony stallion was tapping his hoof. Even the princess was nodding her head back and forth in time with the music, her mane flipping around beneath her tiara. Most of the audience seemed just as energised, bouncing on their seats or at least leaning forwards to catch the music better. Only the Crystal Prep contingent seemed largely unaffected, and even there the blue haired music teacher was thrashing her head around to the beat, her ponytail flicking into the faces of her neighbours much to their disapproval.

Finally, to the applause of the audience, the piece came to an end. The older stallion continued to hum along for several seconds after the music had ceased before he stopped, his cheeks blushing bright red at the nearby princess’s grin. On stage the now winded foals took several bows while the stamping continued before rushing back off into the wings.

“Well done everypony!” cried Bluenote. Medley added her agreement noting that Featherweight seemed to have overcome his stage fright as he chattered excitedly to Twist. “Ok, rest up for a minute or two then we all need to be on stage for the big finale. We’re going to do our improvised variety piece!”

There were excited gasps from the foals.

“Bluenote!” hissed Medley. “Remember what I said about that? It’s still not coming together all that well. Some of the other pieces we tried worked out much better.”

“But the kids enjoy this one so much!”

“This is a competition! One we want to do well in, it can’t all be fun and games, you need to focus a bit as well.”

“Look trust me, I know what I’m doing.”

Medley gazed at her friend hard for a moment, then her brow softened a little. “I do trust you, but you need to trust me as well. Ask yourself: is this really the best thing to do now?”

Medley opened her mouth, then closed it again, a look of consideration passing over her face for a moment. “You’re right,” she finally admitted. “It isn’t the best of our work, sorry, I got a little carried away there.”

“No problem, it can happen to anypony.”

“Just me a bit more than others,” said Bluenote with a smile. “Sorry kids, we got a change of plan, we’re going to play ‘The Ponyville School Band’ instead.” There was a chorus of disappointed sounds from the ground. “Tell you what, we can put in a little improv section before the last verse. How’s that sound?” The foals glanced between each other for a moment before nodding their approval. “Ok, kids! Let’s do this!”

Bluenote quickly strapped on her tuba and waited for the rest of the foals to line up behind her. Medley, helped by a pair of stage hooves, pushed her harp into the stage. Taking a deep breath, Bluenote began to blow into her instrument as she marched onto the stage, the foals following her like ducklings behind their mother.

The line of children marched onto stage and snaked all the way around the stage and around the harp before lining up at the back. Three pegasus foals took positions around the great instrument using their wings to create a background tinkle of strings. Meanwhile Bluenote took her place at the front. She tugged nervously at her tabard for a moment. Rarity had done her best given the short time she’d had but they weren't that flattering, Bluenote felt a little like a circus tent as she looked out into the audience. The princess was sitting right in front of the stage and seemed to give Bluenote a welcoming smile. Glancing further up the audience she caught Principal Abacus’s eye causing the older mare to glare back at her seemingly willing her and Ponyville to fail. That look gave Bluenote just the boost she needed to kick-off the final performance.

I want to introduce to you my esteemed friends some finest foals I’ve ever seen, at least from where I currently stand, ” she began in patter song. “Please observe me if you will I’m their teacher Bluenote. And I’m here to present the Ponyville School Band. ” The Flim Flam brother’s sales technique had inspired her to write the song and she’d taken a few suggestions from Fluttershy as well. “Oh think my friends, can any earthly joy ever hope to compete with a happy foal? ” She gestured back with her hoof to the lines of children behind her.

Ra-ta Ra-ta ta ta, ” she cried out

Remember my friends what a hoof full of local musicians did to the infamous and feared twin terrors. The evil spirit Nemesis was driven off! Oh a band did it my friends, oh yes a band of mares, do ya hear me? I said the future’s gotta have more bands, and I mean bands of foals that know harmony. Well, teacher Bluenote’s on hoof, and Ponyville’s gonna show off her band, thanks to a little bit of help from my friends. And that band’s gonna be in harmony. Sweetie! Lilly! Dinky! Pip! ” she gestured at the foals as they stepped forwards to give a bow. The latter almost crushed under the weight of the drum resting on his back until Lilly Longsocks gripped it in her teeth and seemingly with no effort lifted both it and the colt up so that Scootaloo and Bee Bop could hammer away at it, “And you’ll see the loyalty of true friends. You’ll hear the thunder of clapping hooves. The laughter of happy foals!

Ta tada.

You’ll feel something akin to the electric thrill I once enjoyed when Fluttershy, Medley, Lyra Heartstrings, The Great Octavia, Vinyl Scratch and myself. All working together on that historic day! ” she announced. Maybe this wasn’t quite as important as that day, but who knew if any of the foals might end up doing something just as important in the future.

Ponyville school band led the big parade, she sang.
With colts and fillies of all tribes side by side
Standing as one to win renown
For their beloved home town
Faces turned to the skies in pride

Looking out into the audience the foals began to march round and round the stage.

Ponyville school band marching by as one
With colts and fillies of all tribes standing proud
Everyone be they old or young
Their happiness sung
Cheerful voices sounding out loud

The finest instruments that none can surpass, continued Bluenote glancing over at Medley in the wings.
Clarinet, oboe and flute, all sounding sweet
Violin, cello, guitar and Double bass
All playing as one, such a treat

Kept in time by a big bass drum
Thundering, thundering all around the hall. Bee Bop enthusiastically beat at the drum on Pip’s back, almost knocking over the small foal.
All knew their part despite their size
Nopony afraid to improvise
Everypony was part of the score!

Ponyville school band in true harmony
With colts and fillies of all tribes, an assortment
Bound together by love, friendship and heart!’
Everypony had their own part
All unique yet all important

Now comes the important part, she thought, as stopped singing and returned to playing her own instrument. One by one either in small groups or by themselves each of the foals stepped forwards and played a short improvised section of the score. Bluenote loved this bit, it gave each of her foals a chance to, however briefly, shine. She might be a little biased, but she thought they did a pretty good job. Tootsie’s section was excellent, blending into the background music yet still standing separate. Snips and Snail’s section wasn’t quite as good although they were certainly enthusiastic, she was just glad they hadn’t tried to rap like they did in rehearsals. Her heart almost stopped with the brief pause when Bee Bop managed to knock Pip off his hooves with a drum roll and into a nearby trumpeter, but the next foal quickly filled the gap and the audience seemed to take it in their stride.

Finally, they were all done and Bluenote stepped forwards again to finish off her song.

Ponyville school band in true harmony
With colts and fillies of all tribes, an assortment
Bound together by love, friendship and heart!
Everypony had their own part
All unique yet all important

Behind her the music reached a crescendo and the band once again began to march off the stage until the last note fell. Then the crowd went wild, rising and stomping on the floor boards with so much force it seemed like they’d break. The foals fell over each other to rush back onto the stage to give a bow. Bluenote joined them, surprised by how rubbery her hooves felt. The performance had taken a lot out of her but she felt invigorated by the applause. Bowing deep, she glanced into the wings to see Cheerilee and Medley standing there as well, stomping. Grinning, she rushed over to them and grabbed them each by a hoof before pulling them onto the stage to be included in the celebration.


The other acts went by in a blur to Bluenote, she was still buzzed from her previous performance. She was partially aware that many of the performers were very good at their craft but she couldn’t remember any specific act. She applauded at the appropriate times but really she was just waiting for the judges’ final decision. It seemed such a long wait. They were just sitting there whispering to each other, it must have been hours so far!

“Why are they taking so long!” she whined, her nerves finally breaking.

“It’s a hard decision,” said Medley trying to keep her own emotions in check. “There were a lot of good acts.”

“But the kids were the best right?” she said nervously. During their performance she’d been so certain things were going to work out but now she wasn’t so sure.

“I... I don’t know, they were good, they did you proud, but we’ve only been practising for a month, you shouldn’t expect that much from them. The other schools had had longer to prepare.”

“Yeah,” admitted Bluenote. Maybe she had set her hopes too high. Look, I’m sorry; even if we don’t place I’ll make sure you get your money. It might take a while but I’ll sort it out.”

Medley snorted. “Thanks, but I’m really not just about money. I want the kids to win as much as you do and not just because I’m getting paid. They’ve worked hard and they deserve a reward for that. So do you. Maybe you might be a little easily fooled but you’ve tried to do right by me,” she blushed a little, one hoof doodling on the floor. “What I want to say is, well, you’re a good friend. I shouldn’t have treated you like I did.”

“No, I should have trusted you more.”

“Probably, but I can get a bit paranoid sometimes, and a bit obsessive. Maybe I could do with chilling out occasionally.”

“And maybe I should take things a bit more seriously. Maybe. I probably should have decided what we were going to play a few days in advance at least,” admitted Bluenote.

“If you did that I don’t think you’d be you,” said Medley with a smile.

“Hug?” suggested Bluenote with a mischievous grin.

“No! No, no, no,” said Medley uncomfortably as the earth pony wrapped her forelegs around her. She struggled half-heartedly to get out of the grip.

Suddenly the hall’s lights dimmed again as a familiar pink alicorn strode gracefully onto the stage. “I’m sorry for making you wait so long,” said Princess Cadence to the now silent audience. “We had so many excellent performances today that it was very hard to come to a final decision. It is just a shame that many other schools were unable to be here today due to the actions of a few disreputable individuals, but rest assured that my guard are currently doing their utmost to bring them to justice.” She ran her gaze over the audience in front of her. “I do wish that everypony here could win a prize but unfortunately, although the overall quality of the music was very high, we have had to come to a final decision. She cleared her throat, drawing out the moment a little longer. “In third place is Bridle by the Sea middle school.” A cheer went up from a group of foals nearby.

In the audience Bluenote was nervously gnawing at her hoof. Medley may have agreed that money wasn’t everything but that didn’t mean she wanted her friend to take a loss, or to have to lose out herself. Sure she wouldn’t go bust but things would get a little tight if she had to pay off Medley’s losses. She glanced over to her friend, her face was inscrutable.

“In second place is Ponyville school,” announced the monarch on the stage with a wide smile.

Bluenote let out the breath she didn’t know she was holding and slumped back into her seat. They’d made it. Then she was almost knocked off her chair by an explosion of air beside her as Medley blasted into the sky, wings wide. “Yahoo!” she cried spinning on the spot. Several of the pegasus foals followed her example. “We won!” she yelled, grabbing one the children and hugging it. Then she remembered where she was and a bright blush ignited on her face as she released the squealing child and slowly sunk back to her seat.

“Well I’m glad I’m not the only one happy about that,” said Cadence from the stage with a sly smile before clearing her throat. “And finally in first place due to their extraordinarily polished and technically impressive performance, Crystal Prep.” There was a round of polite stomping from the audience at the result. Principle Abacus gave a slight smile and inclined her head to the stage.

“Now if all the winners would care to come up to the stage I will present the prizes momentarily.”

“Come on kids,” called Bluenote as she began to shepherd the class towards the front of the hall. “You too Medley, Cheerilee.”

“I didn’t do anything,” argued Medley.

“We couldn’t have done it without you! Come on!” insisted Bluenote shoving her friend along. Shrugging, Medley stopped resisting and trotted down to the stage with the rest of the Ponyville contingent. There they met up with a few of the Bridle by the Sea students. Principle Abacus and her staff were the only representatives from Crystal Prep. The previously flamboyant music teachers were much more repressed, glancing nervously at the Princess as she welcomed the winners to the stage.

“As I previously said it is unfortunate that not every school can win a prize,” said Cadence. “However, the judges were unanimous that the skill shown by the students of Crystal Prep was of the highest calibre. They seemed exceptionally driven.” She narrowed her gaze upon Abacus.

“Thank you your majesty,” said the headmistress. “I am glad that my school could uphold its reputation of excellence. “

“It is just a shame that so few of your rivals could make this contest,” said Cadence with a raised eyebrow. “Still, I am sure there is something we can all learn from your success. In fact, I will be recommending that the department of education send experts to Crystal Prep to analyse their teaching methods. I am sure other schools will be better off learning from your example.”

The headmistress made a face like she had swallowed something bitter as she silently accepted the gold cup from her ruler.

“Now Ponyville,” announced Cadence suddenly all smiles, “It warmed my heart to see such enthusiasm for music. Although your performances may not have been as perfect as some of the other competitors you are only equine and the passion you all put into your work made up for any little errors. In fact I think you might be some of the best examples of the reason why I asked my minister of education to increase funding to school bands. I am often referred to as the princess of love and there are many kinds of love in this world. I think your performances were perfect examples of the love of music and the power that music can have. Your music brought you together as one and brought you so much joy. It was an honour to be able to hear all of you perform, and I expect to see much more of all of you in future.”

“Thank you princess,” mumbled a blushing Bluenote as she accepted the silver trophy before passing it off to the children who cheered as they passed it from hoof to hoof.

“Finally, last but not the least, Bridle by the Sea. Your performances were very impressive. That first number was very complicated but you all managed to run through it all perfectly. In particular your drum work was excellent,” she said to a hugely star struck colt who looked just about ready to collapse.

“Thank you your majesty,” mumbled their rotund teacher as he accepted the third trophy.


“Looks like everything's worked out,” said Cheerilee at the back of the stage once the presentation was over. “The prize money should be enough to pay for the loan of these instruments with enough left over to pay you to teach part time for most of the rest of year. We’ll even have enough to buy some new instruments as well. Not quite what we originally had planned, but enough to have a decent band!”

“I think there might even be a little left in the kitty for a treat as well,” said Bluenote.

“What do you have in mind?” asked Cheerilee.

“Hey kids!” called Bluenote turning to the class. “How about ice cream? I know an excellent place just round the corner that serves over a hundred flavours! Want to see how many you can try before you get sick?”

A crescendo of agreement erupted from the foals around her, each crying out their own favourite flavours.

“Indeed I think that would be an excellent way to close today’s events.” Came a voice from nearby. The school all turned to see Princess Cadence approaching. “Apart from the getting sick part, still an ice cream or two never hurt anypony. In fact I will announce free ice creams for all competitors,” she said with a wide smile.

“You can do that?!” exclaimed Dinky hopping up and down in front of the alicorn, her eyes wide in wonder.

“Indeed,” said Cadence with a wink, resting a hoof on the head of the excited filly. “In fact it’s one of my favourite things about being a princess. Now follow me, quickly, or I might have finished them all off before you get there!” She turned towards all the other competitors. “You are of course all invited as well.”

“I am afraid that my class will have to return to their studies now Princess,” said Abacus stepping forwards. “They need to continue their practice, just because I won doesn’t mean I can rest on my laurels”

“I think you can let your students relax a little this one time. After all they did just win a contest, and their Princess has just asked them out for ice cream.”

After a pause Bluenote took a step forwards. “How about it Lemon? Indigo? Sugarcoat? You still like double choc blueberry?” After a few moments Lemon took a nervous step forwards, then another.

“I’d, I’d love to Miss,” she muttered.

“Great!” Bluenote threw a leg over the younger mare’s withers. “Maybe you could show us a few tunes on the Sax while we’re eating?”

The tension in the room suddenly evaporated as the mass of Crystal Prep students rushed forwards to meet up with those from the other schools in a chattering mob. With a smile Princess Cadence started to lead them all out of the hall. Abacus gave Bluenote a hateful glare as she passed but she only replied with a smile.

Author's Note:

And that's more or less that, only a short Epilogue still to go now.

Thanks to Grass and Clouds 2 and decontra for suggestions and editing

Comments are always welcome.