• Published 12th Aug 2016
  • 506 Views, 11 Comments

The Muffins Family - PaintedNovel455



Here I have Garnet "Clyde" Pie, Amethyst "Amy" Pie, and Jasper "Sweetie" Pie... Their three young fillies grow up with the lack of food and resources to their success.

  • ...
 11
 506

Muffins Family Side Story: Hearts Strong As Crystals

It was a lovely day outside, small wispy white clouds floated through the air. The sun was hot and the breeze was cold, it was a perfect day outside. Dragons tore through the air, and fishes leaped through vast currents of crystal blue waters.

Amy and Dazzy stepped behind Dazzy’s house, there was a row of rocks and dead grass. Dazzy pushed past it revealing a hole.

“Are you sure about this,” Amy asked, feeling nervous.

“Of course, I go here everytime.” Dazzy pulled the rope from around her waist and place one end down the hole and the other was wrapped around a rock and more rocks were piled on top of it.

“Come on,” Dazzy said and climbed down the rope. Amy pushed her head through the hole, she could barely see her hoof in front her face, her fear of tight spaces kicked in, but she ignored it. She reached and wrapped her hooves around the rope, Amy turned herself around so that her hooves dangled inside the hole and lowered herself down.




After a while Amy’s hooves felt ground underneath them. Suddenly, a beam of light cut through the darkness. The light caused the crystals to glow a light blue. It was a beautiful sight, Amy was so amazed all she could do is gape at it in amazement.

Dazzy pulled out two hoof-held pickaxes from her saddlebag, she passed one to the lavender filly.

“What is this for,” Amy asked. Her eyes still locked on the glowing crystals.

“We’re gonna mine them! And then we’ll make them into pretty necklaces,” Dazzy explained. She trotted over a sharp crystal that protruded from the ground. She raised the pickaxe over her head and then brought it down with all her might, the crystal shattered into shards. Some sliced at Dazzy’s skin, the cuts weren’t serious, and Dazzy didn’t even flinch.

“I-I-I’m scared,” Amy admitted with a pout.

“It’s fine,” Dazzy said, picking up the shards of crystal with her mouth.

Amy stepped over to a crystal that too came from the ground, the tip was dulled over and rounded. Amy swung at it from the side, leaving a small dent in it. She swung again, hitting in the same spot, cracks spread from the hit but it did not break. At this point Amy was panting, her arms sore.

Amy attempted to left her pickaxe again but it slipped through her sweaty hooves. Dazzy walked over, “let me help you.” Dazzy struck the crystal with her pickaxe and it exploded and rained crystal down on the foals. Amy winced as a few crystals sliced at her fur, Amy stood to her hooves and picked Dazzy up. Dazzy had gotten more cuts, so it was harder to stand.

“You alright?” Amy said.

“Yea-Yeah,” Dazzy said. She let her saddlebag fall from her back, she flipped a pack open and pulled out a canteen. She gave it a shake to test if it was full, Dazzy smiled as she heard water slosh around in there.

Dazzy pulled the cap off and took a swig from it, she then passed it to Amy, who took a swig as well. Amy rooted around in the bag for band-aids. She placed them on the more...serious cuts on her hooves and arms before putting it back in.

“Come on let’s head deeper,” Dazzy said, tying her saddlebag around her back.


Dazzy lead Amy to a tight crawl space, Dazzy only took her flashlight and left everything else behind. The crawl space was dusty and dirty, and suffocating. But to Amy’s surprise the crawl space wasn’t that long, only a about ten inches.

Amy stood to her hooves, she looked around the ground was covered in various crystals, the small patches of ground were brown and hard. There was a thin path cutting through all of it, Amy hesitated before following behind Dazzy.

“Where are we going,” Amy asked.

“I have a very special crystal that I want to find for you,” Dazzy said. “It’s in the shape of heart, it’s hot pink, and tales say that if you look in it then it shows the one you love the most!”

“Oooooo,” Amy cooed, picturing this crystal. They carefully maneuvered around the crystals and rocks. Dazzy pulled out a long piece of rope at the end was a four sharp knives that stuck out in different directions. She took aim and threw it, it gripped into the rock above and she climbed on it.

Dazzy ushered Amy up the rope, who looked unsure.

“Come on Amy!” Dazzy begged. Amy stood on her hind legs using the rope for stability. Amy pulled her up on the rope, she then used her hind hooves to sit on the rope and used her front hooves to push herself up again. Her hooves came in contact with the rock and she pulled herself up.


Dazzy took Amy’s hooves and helped to pull her up. Then the two continued on, stopping briefly to collect rocks and discarded gems. It was fun. They laughed and chat, until they reached a fork in the path.

“Where do we go?” Amy asked.

Dazzy pointed the beam of light to the right, “there.” And they trotted down that path finding a large crystal, it was many feet off the ground. It was a heart alright, but a crude one at best. It looks like a heart that a foal would draw with a crayon.

Dazzy squealed in delight and ran forward, it felt surreal to Amy. Like at any moment she would wake up from this amazing dream. Dazzy was already in front the crystal, however it was too high up to just simply grab.

“Come here Amethyst,” Dazzy stated. Amy trotted over and allowed Dazzy to climb on her back. Even then they were just below it. Dazzy used her hoof to find something to grab and hold on to, when she found it she pulled herself up.

“I’ll catch you,” Amy promised backing up to see what was happening. Dazzy moved one hoof over to the crystal embedded in the rock. She pulled it, feeling it come lose a bit. She tugged at it harder before her hoof slipped. She moved that hoff back to the ledge that she was holding on to. Her shoulders ached and her throat was dry. Dazzy pushed all thoughts away expecting getting the crystal for her friend.

In truth Amy Gem was Dazzy’s first and only friend. She didn’t exactly get along with other ponies but for some reason Amy was different. Like they fit together like two puzzle pieces. And now that they were offical friends, she wanted to do anything to stay friends with her. Almost if Amy was a God that Dazzy bowed down to. In turn, Amy was kind and generous.




But Dazzy just wasn’t strong enough. Dazzy’s hooves slipped and she fell to the ground. Amy rushed forward, she was able to catch Dazzy in time which softened her fall.

Then Dazzy began to cry, it wasn’t because she was in pain…

“What’s wrong Dazzy,” Amy asked. It wasn’t a question. “Uh...it’s okay. We don’t need that silly crystal.”

“I wanted *sniff* to get it *sniff* for youuu,” Dazzy said still sobbing pathetically.

“I don’t a crystal, as long as I have you.” Amy said, hugging Dazzy. Just then a flash illuminated the dim cave. It took awhile for Amy’s brain to process what had happened.

Amy looked at her flank, then let out a loud squeal, causing bats to flutter away in fright. On her flank was a hot pink crystal in the shape of a heart, just like the one they had tried to mine.

“AMYTHEST YOU GOT YOUR CUTIE MARK,” Dazzy squealed.

“I KNOW! THIS IS AMAZING!”

“YOU GOTTA SHOW YOUR SISTERS!”

“I GOTTA SHOW MY SISTERS,” Amy sprung up and ran out the cave.

“Hey! Wait up,” Dazzy shouted.


~*~


Amy was still ecstatic as she entered her home that evening. She found her Mother in kitchen, cooking soup.

“Hey mama-.”

“You! You and your sisters are in VERY deep trouble.”

“Wha? But mama, I-”

“Go to your room! NOW!” Amy’s Mom pointed in the direction of their bedroom. Amy hung her head and trotted out the kitchen. She pushed past the door to their bedroom, inside was her two sisters Sweetie and Clyde. And also a another filly...