• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 345 Views, 5 Comments

Moonstone - Menti Ardenti



When Nightmare Moon escapes from her prison, six mares join together in a quest to stop her.

  • ...
 5
 345

Prologue

Long ago, upon the uniting of the three tribes, two alicorn sisters came from a far. Gifted with ageless immortality, the sisters took up the role of leadership. The eldest, Celestia, raised the sun each morn, setting it to make way for the moon while the youngest, Luna, was guardian of the night. Both were proud of their role. Nevertheless the night was still shunned by the nobility who remembered the tales of ponies cowering in the dark while a manticore stalked nearby. They both heard the whispers against Luna.

In despair, Luna began to be haunted by the Oneiroi, the dream demons and servants of Nocturne Lune, otherwise know as Nightmare Moon. The archdemon of fear began to visit her driving her awake until she would kill for sleep. Finally able to possess the body, the nightmare set out to bring her sister, Ignis Sol or Corona Flame, into the body of Celestia so that they could rule together.

In a desperate attempt to save her sister, Celestia called upon the Elements of Harmony to purge Luna. Unable to act against a fellow bearer, Celestia cut their ties with them and instead bound them to the royal student, a common unicorn called Dreamweaver.

Nightmare Moon managed to escape and claimed an assassination attempt on Luna, orchestrated by her sister, who wanted the throne to herself. For months she travelled Equestria, occasionally possessing ponies with the Oneiroi. Soon she had built a massive army to take Canterlot and claim the crown.

Celestia devised a cunning plan with the help of three mares, Dame Terra, the faithful earth pony knight, Dreamweaver and Sister Nox, a member of the Lunar clergy.

Pretending to admit defeat to the nightmare, Celestia offered to give herself to Ignis Sol as long as they ruled fairly. Although she was not going to honor the promise, Nightmare Moon agreed. 
While the archdemon was distracted by summoning her sister, Dame Terra mortally wounded her while Sister Nox called upon Luna. Angered, the nightmare attacked in a violent rage, however Luna, who had been trapped in a nightmare of her own, began to resist Nightmare Moon. Unable to attack both fronts, she was brought to her knees. Dreamweaver used the elements to banish Nightmare Moon to a realm of dreams.

However, the fighting cost Sister Nox her wings and Dame Terra her eyes. As a mortal, Dreamweaver was unable to solely wield the elements and turned both herself and Luna to stone.

Celestia herself was wounded by what almost was a fatal blow and no longer had a divine shell.

Still, if one believes in prophecies, there will come a time when the dream realms hold no longer, where blood be shed and effigies be freed.

Author's Note:

This is my first story, so I would really appreciate it you comment on any grammatical or spelling errors.