• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 1,153 Views, 40 Comments

Change of Life - Lil Penpusher



It's been a long time since the Changeling Invasion of Canterlot was repulsed and that Equestria has gone back to their usual Business. What nopony expects though...is that the enemy is far from defeated...and has already infiltrated them once again.

  • ...
7
 40
 1,153

20 - For the Hive

Chrysalis stepped out of the tunnel with loud steps, her guards following close behind her. Behind the guards was Shade, he had been trying to keep a little distance from the Queen and her bodyguards. Reason being that he had wanted to think. Think about how and why he was supposed to 'aid' the Queen with the Princesses. He had asked the Queen before, right as she told him about this planned meeting, but the Queen refused to tell him the reason for why he was truly needed, saying that it was of no importance.

Now though, this all seemed to feel quite...strange. The Princesses were locked in the Dungeons, they couldn't use their magic, the Queen had used a spell that restricted them from using it, so he could not have been called for that. Though, other than that, Shade really had no clue as to why he would be needed for this. He was a grand wizard, true, the only one the Changelings have ever had, but he only posessed Dark Magic. Dark Magic would not help with any kind of diplomatic meeting, it's only use was to destroy and kill.

"Unless..." Shade thought to himself.

"No." He interrupted himself in thought, "No, that's not true, it couldn't be. Chrysalis is good, she would never have requested for my help to hurt others."

Shade's thoughts were split in half as s Battle raged between the two sides. "But what if she was? What if Thunder is right and she really is evil? What if-" Once again, he was interrupted. Although, not by his own thoughts. This time it was the Queen herself speaking up.

"We have arrived. Shade?" The Queen asked for Shade, the Changeling in question looked up in shock as his name was mentioned. He saw that the guards had turned towards him aswell, everyone in the entry hall to the Changeling Dungeons now looked at him.

"Y-yes" He stottered in shock, adding the phrase "My Queen?" afterwards.

The Queen was not interested in his little phrases, nor his apparent anxiety. She had heard enough of all that in her life, she could care less.
"I want you to stay close, do not fall behind." She said in a commanding voice, a voice which nearly every Changeling followed at an instant. "We will arrive at their cell in a few minutes, so prepare yourself." She added.

Shade instinctively nodded, replying "Certainly.", but he wondered what the Queen meant with 'prepare yourself'. It was a friendly diplomatic meeting, was it not? Why would anyone, except maybe a speaker, have to really prepare for such a thing?

Unless of course...

No, this was not the time to ask questions, especially not about the Queen and her motives. Shade knew she wasn't evil, and even then there would be enough time to ask himself those questions later.

"Follow me then, you two come with us." She pointed towards the two closest guards, they saluted immediatly as they got their order. "The others, stay here. Let nobody enter until we are done. I do not wish to be disturbed during this meeting."

Chrysalis then turned around towards a big, black door. It was the entrance to what some of the Changelings in the Hive would call "The Death Pit.", due to the Prisoners not getting nearly as much food as they would need to properly survive, apart from the general hostile conditions of course. There was not alot of air to breath so some Prisoners would eventually suffocate before starving to death, it was very cold in the Hive in general too, the Changelings only able to live there because their race was able to maintain a normal body temperature under these conditions. Ponies, however, were not able to do so.

As Chrysalis used her magic, her horn lit up in the typical bright green color. The doors creaked as they slowly opened themselves to the group of Changelings. Many would curse these gigantic doors. These gigantic, black, cold looking doors. Many times the creatures entering throught these doors would not get the chance to see them again, doomed to rot in the dungeons.

Chrysalis though was not deterred by this. She knew what was best for her race and her Hive, she knew best for she was their Queen.
She stepped forwards in a steady trot, the guards following behind her, one to the left and one to the right. Shade, once again, followed in behind the Queen and guards. This time though, he could not fall behind, the Queen wanted him to stay close.

The squad of Changelings walked past many cells. To Shade, they looked more like simple holes though. And, to a certain degree, he was right. The dungeon cells, for the most part, were simple dirt holes, a thick wooden door blocking the path to the outside. The conditions in here were truly horrifying indeed, that was something Shade had realized ever since he first entered the dungeons.

Then, after a quick march past several empty cells, they had arrived at their destination. The cell that held the Royal Princesses within it. A slightly evil smile formed on Chrysalis' face as she stepped closer to the celldoor, only to be stopped as a voice behind her spoke up.

"My Queen, wait." Said Shade, this time undeterred. "I must ask...what is it that we are supposed to do? Especially me as a grand wizard."

Chrysalis crunched her teeth for a brief moment, right before she turned around to respond to him. "Oh I will tell you, my dear Shade." She lowered her head down to his head level before continuing. "Today is a glorious day, my dear minion. Today we will lay the foundation to rebuild the once great and glorious Changeling Empire, the one that our ancestors were so proud to rule over until these dirty, weak minded ponies took our lands!"

Shade's ears lowered themselves as Shade was now more than just confused, he was angry. Furious even. "My Queen, you cannot do this! You would act against your own plans if you do! You said-"

He was cutoff as Chrysalis pulled him towards her with her magic. She raised her head once again, Shade floating right in front of her eyes now. "I dare you tell me what to do! Have you forgotten that I am your Queen? I know exactly what's right and what's the best for the Hive!" She was outraged at Shade's disobeyal and distrust in her.

Shade was only able to get out a "But..." before he was once again cut off by Chrysalis, still as furious as before.

Chrysalis now looked him deep into the eyes, speaking in a more quiet voice. "I have always counted you to my most loyal minions, It would be a shame if my trust was displaced, don't you think?" Suddenly she let go of him, letting Shade wall straight to the ground. It may have only been a short fall, yet it still wasn't a very 'nice' thing to do.

Looking up as he sat on the ground, he mumbled: "Why would you lie about your goals...?" His mood had slowly changed from anger to sadness. He was disappointed. Disappointed that he had been deceived by his very Queen it seemed.

Chrysalis laughed at his question before replying: "Do you really think I would let an ex-pony know of my real plans months, if not years, before executing them? I trust you, but you still share some pony thoughts and feelings within you. This way, I assured you didn't get into my way prematurely."

Shade was shocked at this revelation. It was exactly what Shade had hoped to not be true. He had hoped it was all a misunderstanding until this point, a small part of him believed that at least, but now...it was for certain. His own Queen didn't trust him, saw him as an obstacle.

"Now, before you think about revolting..." She said as the two guards positioned themselves besides Shade, "I want to remind you that resistance would be very much futile. At this point, my plan has already progressed to the point where we cannot be stopped anymore. We have the Princesses captured, the Equestrians are helpless without them."

Chrysalis then turned around, speaking as she looked away from Shade who himself looked at the two guards next to him. "So I ask you, my once loyal friend..." She sighed before continuing, "Do you intend on standing against me and the Hive, against your brothers and sisters, your family that had saved your life, or do you stay loyal and support the common cause? The cause to return our empire to it's former glory, to make the ponies pay for the things they have done to us?"

Shade replied surprisngly fast. There were millions of thoughts shooting through his brain, both for siding with and against her. Yet, even then, his response came quickly. He replied in a clear voice, saying "I will remain loyal to my Queen forever. No matter the cost."

When Chrysalis turned around, an evil smirk forming on her face once again, Shade realized what he had just said. For him, it was as if he had not spoken those words himself. It was as if a second him took over all of the sudden and spoke for him, against his will. Shade had no time to question this for now though, as his Queen intended on not wasting any more precious time with useless talking.

"An excellent decision, my dear. I say we should prove your obedience further by getting into the matter of things, don't you think? I would hate to waste more time out here when we could be writing Changeling history right now." It was clear that Chrysalis stood fully behind whatever she was going to do to the Princesses and the ponies of Equestria. Her voice made her conviction and fanatism for this cause more than clear. And, to Shade, it was a scary thing to see his Queen like this. Especially after all he had been told about her, the 'nice and good minded Queen'. Unfortunatly, all those things had been lies it seemed.

Shade thought about the situation he was in when all of the sudden he spoke up with a deeper voice than usual, saying "A great idea, my Queen."
Once again, Shade had not intended on saying this, he shook his head to snap out of whatever it was that made him say and do things against his will. Yet, by now, it was too late. He was doomed to follow the evil Queen of the Changelings, a Queen whose only dream was not to befriend the ponies...but to destroy them. He had no choice but to obey...for now at least.

"Very well, let us proceed then. Let us bring glory to the Hive! For the Hive!" Chrysalis exclaimed before turning towards the wooden toor of the cell.

"For the Hive..." Shade replied in a quiet, doubtful voice. He had not been surprised if he once again spit that phrase out without any intention to do so, yet he was quite aware when he did so this time. He did not say it against his will, he very much wanted to say it. He had said that phrase many, many times in his life as a Changeling, only this time...

He wasn't sure just what he was supposed to fight for.