• Published 3rd Aug 2016
  • 433 Views, 23 Comments

More Than a Pair of Wings - Nonchalant



Celebrity. Athlete. Prankster. What more could Rainbow Dash want to be? Well... Rarity might be able to help her find out.

  • ...
3
 23
 433

Or Just a Pretty Face

Rarity hummed to herself as she stitched her latest project to completion. She smiled as the finished product was levitated into a nearly full storeroom, knowing her week had gone as planned. Lifting a hoof to wipe her brow, Rarity looked around. There weren't any finished sketches to act upon, so it seemed her muse had finally run its course. It was at that moment that she heard the chime of the door's bell. "I'll be with you in a moment!" she trilled as she tidied herself up.

A knock sounded on her studio's door. As she was about to reprimand the customer for their nosiness, she noticed the ridiculously bright and equally marshmallowy face of her sister. It took her another second to realize that she was being spoken to. "I'm sorry, Sweetie, what was that again?" she recovered.

"I said Rainbow Dash is here to see you, and she's acting kinda weird." Sweetie Belle frowned, "anyways, I'm off to hang out with the Crusaders. We may have our cutie marks, but Scootaloo really wants to try that hang-gliding thing again! It's gonna be so cool!"

As Rarity processed the first scrap of information, Sweetie Belle took the chance and left while all Rarity could do was utter a distant "uh huh..."

Eventually she snapped out of it, and walked downstairs to meet with Rainbow Dash, of all ponies. 'I wonder what she could possibly want? She's never seemed very interested in my boutique before...'

As she approached the front of the Boutique, the unicorn saw an evidently distressed Rainbow Dash, wings fluttering against her saddlebags as she paced around the open space Rarity had designated as an entrance. Upon seeing Rarity, Rainbow's eyes lit up, and she trotted over. "Hey, Rares! I was wondering how long you'd take," she greeted.

Rolling her eyes, Rarity dismissed the comment before gesturing for Rainbow to enter the shop proper. "Whatever could be the matter, Rainbow? You looked awfully shaken up a minute ago."

"O-oh, that. Yeah. I was wondering if I could, maybe, if it isn't too much trouble, show you something? I-I mean, if you've got absolutely nothing else going on, cause I'd totally get it it you didn't have the time." the pegasus explained, tripping on her words, and a clothing rack to her left. Upon receiving a bemused look, she added an indignant "what?"

Rarity composed herself, "nothing, darling, but you sound remarkably like Fluttershy at the moment. It's a little funny," the fashionista tittered. Suddenly serious, "But really, darling. I'm free. You caught me at a very good time. Whatever you want to show me, I'm there for you."

Gulping, Rainbow grinned, "alright then, I'll need a little time to prepare. Can I use your changing room for a few seconds? Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise, right?" upon receiving a nod in return, Dash whisked herself and her saddlebags behind the curtains.

Rarity continued the tune from upstairs as she waited for Dash to finish up. 'Oh, I do hope this isn't a prank' the unicorn fretted. She had faith in her friends, of course, but that only went so far with the infamous Ponyville Prank Patrol, of which Rainbow Dash was a founding member. Seconds turned to a minute, which turned into five. At that point, Rarity coughed politely. "Rainbow, you've taken an awfully long time in there. Are you sure you're fine?"

The curtains rustled slightly, and the scratchy voice behind them replied, "huh? Yeah, it's fine. I'm coming out now."

The curtains were pushed back by a cyan hoof, and the first thought Rarity could muster was 'since when does Rainbow Dash of all ponies know the first thing about fashion?' And fashion indeed it was, for in front of the dressmaker stood a furiously blushing Rainbow Dash, hooves shuffling in front of her pink, tastefully ruffled shirt. Rarity took in the diminutive collar and darkened trim of the sleeves, and then the similarly pink stockings Rainbow wore on her rear legs. She peered at the black shoes on the ends, and then looked back at Rainbow's face. The pegasus was redder than ever.

"So... what do you think?" ventured Dash. She glanced up to see Rarity staring at her outfit with a glazed look in her eyes. "Uhh, Rares? You there?"

"Wha-huh? Oh, yes. I was simply wondering where you got your ensemble. I'm afraid I don't recognize any of it, and you know I know fashion," she replied, snapping out of it.

Rainbow's ears perked up, then she looked at the ground and mumbled, "I made it myself."

Rarity leaned forward, "Sorry, but could you repeat that? I thought you said you-"

"Made it myself, okay! I made this thing. Ugh! I'll say it. I. Like. Fashion! After you made those Gala dresses, I was talking to Fluttershy and what she was saying about my dress was kinda interesting. Then I had to take the Wonderbolts exam, and you did your fashion thing, and, I mean, come on! It was the Wonderbolts! It's not my fault their uniforms were awesome, and might have made me want to learn about that stuff!" Rainbow defended herself loudly, panting.

Rarity blinked.

"Rainbow Dash, nopony is blaming you for anything! It's normal to have hobbies," Rarity scoffed, "and I'm certainly not judging you for this. I think it's very brave of you to come to me about it. Do the others know about your, ah, artistic tendencies?"

Rainbow shook her head, smiling a little, "nah, just between us for now. Twilight nearly found out when I was getting some books on it though. Thank Celestia she leaves that window open for me. And could you please not tell anyone either?" She looked up hopefully.

"Why, of course I won't tell anyone. Cross my heart, hope to fly and all that," Rarity replied, absently miming along. She scrutinized Rainbow's work. "Say, your stitching needs a little work around the sleeves. Do you mind if I give you a few tips? We could make a habit of it. You coming over, I mean. It'd be marvelous to talk to somepony else that really understands the finer points of couture!"

Looking at the offending article, Dash frowned. She looked uncertainly anywhere but at her friend, which prompted Rarity to gasp, "oh, of course! It would taint your image as the most daredevilish stuntmare in Equestria! What was I thinking? I'm so sorry!"

"Yeah, it's cool. I could come around here more often, I guess," the pegasus smirked, "now, can I get out of this thing? It's starting to get a bit uncomfortable. You may have a point with the sleeves."

Upon receiving another nod, Rainbow went back behind the curtains, taking considerably less than five minutes this time. She emerged again with her saddlebags neatly packed, stretching her neck. Rarity trotted over again as Rainbow was walking towards the door. "Are you leaving already?"

Rainbow replied in the affirmative as she reached the foyer, "Thanks, Rarity, I promise I'll be back soon. You've got a new collection to prep, right? Wouldn't want to get in your mane."

Detecting a bit of a hitch in Dash's voice at the mention of Rarity's upcoming show, she had an idea.

"Are you sure there's nothing else I could do? I've been looking for some help with that new line you mentioned. I'd need to make sure it really goes off as... awesomely as possible." After a pause, "nopony needs to know it's you, of course. I am rather good with wigs, if I do say so myself."

Rainbow stopped in her tracks, wings tensing, "are you asking me to help youwith a show? That'd be awesome! As long as nopony else knows, of course."

Rarity smirked, her hastily made plan coming together.

"Don't worry, darling, you can count on me."

Author's Note:

Here ya go, Fourths! Enjoy your RariDash. You got me into this ship, so I'll peg the blame on you for this whole mess.