• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 667 Views, 33 Comments

A Shot in the Dark - SonicRPika



When Jack Psychiro and Spitfire meet, they are forced to spend some time together by Principle Celestia. They discover that they're more alike than they thought, but will this mean they become friends?

  • ...
6
 33
 667

Detained in a Nightmare

Detention wasn't what Jack had planned on getting on his first day back. And if he was going to tell anyone about why he was there, they'd never believe him. Considering how shy and reserved he normally is around people he doesn’t know. And even if he was to talk, it’s normally an apology or him talking back at someone like a bully.

Jack was now sitting in what he thought was the detention room. Normally, detention was held in a room with all the seats facing towards the front of the room. No talking, no doing homework, no doing anything really. If neither Principal Celestia nor Vice-Principal Luna were watching them, the covering teacher usually allowed some conversations, more out of their boredom than anything else. If that was what Jack was expecting, he had another thing coming.

Instead, Jack was sitting face to face with the girl that was part of the reason he was here. Principal Celestia was to his left, acting as sort of a mediator of sorts. After about 3 minutes of the three of them sitting in silence, she was the one to break it.

"Well then," Celestia began, her arms crossed, "it seems that you both have had a bad start to your first day back." Celestia then turned to face the girl opposite Jack to speak with her. "Given your track record here I’d expect you to at least avoid detention. But since you can’t seem to get along with others,"- Celestia paused, then turned to face Jack to talk to him, -"and you weren’t able to be the better person and keep your cool," Celestia was now looking at both of them, as if talking to them both, "I want you both to talk this out like adults for as long as I feel necessary."

Both Jack and the girl groaned. This wasn’t what they wanted to do.

"Well go on then!" Celestia restarted, a smile still on her face. "Introduce yourselves to each other. Because you’re both not leaving until I’m happy."

Both of them stayed silent. It wasn’t until after about ten minutes, did anyone speak up.

"Fine, if it gets us out of here sooner!" Spitfire yelled out of impatience. She definitely didn’t want to be here, thinking it as being a waste of time. "My name’s Spitfire!"

Jack didn’t answer: he was too shy to. There was an awkward silence for what seemed like an eternity, but was more like a minute. Then, Jack finally spoke.

"My n…name’s Jack." Jack’s reply was barely audible, but just loud enough for both Principal Celestia and Spitfire to hear.

"Well then, you’re both acquainted," Celestia replied, finally happy that they both at least told each other their name. "Now, you need to sort this matter out. No violence, and no raising your voice either." Celestia looked at both Spitfire and Jack, as if warning them that more punishment was coming if they disobeyed.

"You bashed into me!" Spitfire was the first to reply, her voice raised.

"How when I wasn’t moving?" Jack responded, his fury overcoming his anger at the sound of Spitfire’s tone.

"I see that this is going to get us nowhere," Celestia interrupted as Spitfire rose from her seat. "Miss. Fire, could you please sit down." Although Spitfire wanted to leave or, better yet for her, punch Jack, she reluctantly sat down.

"Now," she continued, Jack and Spitfire looking ready to kill each other, "I want you to apologise to each other. Clearly this was an accident."

Neither Jack nor Spitfire apologised. To the both of them, the other person was in the wrong. The reality was, they both were. It took nearly 15 minutes until Celestia got restless, and got out of her seat. She walked over to the teacher’s desk, and logged into the computer.

Switching on the projector, a picture of Celestia and Luna cosplaying as some kind of sexy Wonder Woman and Batgirl respectively showed up, causing the pair to laugh hysterically. Celestia, seeing what was being shown, grew more and more embarrassed as time went on, and proceeded to remove the picture from the screen.

Celestia then proceeded to open a folder, which contained CCTV footage of the school hallways. Opening the most recent file, Jack and Spitfire saw that it wasn’t either of them to blame. It was both their faults, and completely coincidental.

"I...I'm sorry," Jack was the first to speak up, noticing he knocked into her as he was shutting his locker. "I didn't –"

"It’s not just your fault, Jack," Spitfire interrupted, noticing how she wasn’t seemingly paying attention to where she was going when she bashed into Jack. "If you look, you’ll notice me walking right where you were, and not looking where we were going."

Jack simply chuckled. "Huh, I guess we could say it’s both our faults then, right?” Spitfire nodded her head, and gave a small "mhm".
Celestia clapped her hands. "Well, I guess you’ve achieved more than what I wanted you to do. I merely wanted you both to leave on neutral ground. So, allow me to give you both the rest of the day off, as long as you stay together. Strengthen your friendship a bit."

Both Jack and Spitfire were relieved. Sure, they had to stick together, but that was worth it for no school for the rest of the day. They both thanked Principal Celestia, before leaving to do whatever they wanted to do.

"So," Jack began, eager to leave. "With everything that’s happened so far, and what we’ve been given, what do you want to do?"

Spitfire thought hard about it. "Err...I fancy something energetic. Sittting about arguing kinda makes me want to do something sporty."

"You up for Basketball then at the Sports Centre?"

"I’m not the best, but sure!"

As Jack and Spitfire walked of, discussing interests and things they liked, Principal Celestia looked out of her window, Vice Principal Luna in the doorway of the office.

"You do realise Superintendent Discord will kill you for letting them go off like that," Luna said simply.

"Only if he finds out, he will," came Celestia’s reply. "Only if he finds out."

Author's Note:

Aaand a ship is potentially born....and then shot down again! And a lot of convenient things being made. I didn't want Jack and Spitfire to be together instantly, but I also wanted them to have some kind of bad start.

So, a detention chapter over a session of Dodgeball, which seems to be the norm for the CHS stories in this universe. And yes, it was Spitfire he bumped into in the last chapter.

Apologies if any of the characters went a bit out of character here too.