• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 665 Views, 33 Comments

A Shot in the Dark - SonicRPika



When Jack Psychiro and Spitfire meet, they are forced to spend some time together by Principle Celestia. They discover that they're more alike than they thought, but will this mean they become friends?

  • ...
6
 33
 665

Dawn of the First Day: 8,760 (ish) hours remaining

The bedroom was silent, save for the gentle snores of Jack Psychiro, and an unusually quiet hum that came from the large fan on the other side of the room. While opening the window may have been more energy efficient, it would have served little to keep the room cool enough for sleep, which was usual, considering it was August in Canterlot.

Still, at half six in the morning, an old and battered alarm clock began to play the wondercolt's theme tune, waking Jack up. His hand went to press the snooze button to silence the clock and avoid waking his sister, but it wouldn't cease its tune. Making a mental note to fix the snooze button, Jack got up to get ready for school. He was dark blue and quite tall, with messy, dark black hair, and brown eyes. He wore a black t-shirt, blue shorts, and had a sports watch on his left wrist.

Jack was about to go down for breakfast, when his pet cat Ugin strolled in, purring as if wanting something. After stroking him for about five minutes, Jack’s stomach growled quite loudly. At this point, his cat also started to go to the door, as is wanting breakfast. So, with some effort, Jack and Ugin went downstairs for food.

Bounding down the stairs and jogging into the kitchen to feed the cats, Jack noticed an empty wine bottle and a glass with some rosé in. Thinking it was his sister, Flamecaller, having her hangover cure, he took a cheeky sip, then proceeded to feed the cats. Due to his fascination of mythical creatures, he named his four cats after some fictional ones. Ugin, after the Spirit Dragon in Magic, the Gathering. Spyro, a dragon from the game with the same name. Rapidash, a horse/unicorn Pokémon. And Norbert, who was Hagrid’s dragon from Harry Potter.

After giving each cat a healthy amount each, Jack went to do his own breakfast: some Porridge with banana chopped into it. Jack had just finished making it when his sister walked in.

“You know you could’ve waited for me to make you a fry up to eat!” His sister, Flamecaller, called out in what was clearly a New York accent, as she entered. She was nearing her thirties, with bright orange skin. She had red eyes, and short, spiky, fire-red hair. While normally she wore a black shirt with a flame on it, and black shorts, she was instead wearing her cop uniform. However, she did have a necklace with a flame hanging from it upside-down – a gift from when she was eight. While Jack had a similar necklace, his got lost through no fault of his own.

“I can easily eat my porridge, and then have some of the fry up sis,” Jack replied. This was a normal conversation starter each morning, yet they both didn’t care. All they cared about was eating something for breakfast, whether it was a small bowl of Coco Pops, or a full English breakfast. And Jack tended to eat a lot for breakfast.

“Ok greedy. You should be glad I’m a little hungover, or I wouldn’t be doing a fry up!” Flamecaller replied, a bit cheekier than intended. “Mind you, it was quite a party last night.”

Jack shrugged his shoulders. Yes, it was a good party, yet neither of them could understand what they were partying about. The Cakes just suggested a get together, and Flamecaller just chose to invite as many people as her house could fit. Some stayed for one drink, while Shining Armour, Flamecaller’s boss, stayed pretty much until gone one in the morning. Jack didn’t really care. He was too busy looking up the legend of King Arthur that night.

“Can you remember what’s going on this semester at Canterlot High Jack?” In an attempt to break the silence that followed, Flamecaller tried to bring the subject round to the school term.

“Only things I can think of are the Hallowe’en dress-up and the Fall Formal” - came Jack with some porridge in his mouth. He swallowed before continuing. - “The former I’m looking forward to and the latter I’m going to skip if at all possible.”

“Ah yes, I think I can guess why -” Flamecaller began, yet stopped after seeing the face Jack made, one that didn’t want to continue with that particular conversation. Daring not to speak, Flamecaller and Jack ended up eating in silence.


After quick goodbyes, Jack went off to have a stroll around town before school. It was customary for him to take a stroll through the town if he was early for school, as he made daily visits to Sugarcube Corner to buy a breakfast muffin. However when he arrived, he ended up bumping into Pinkie Pie as she was leaving. Quite literally in fact.

"Sorry about that, Pinkie." Jack started apologising to Pinkie Pie, offering a hand to help her up, which she accepted. "I...wasn't watching where I was going."

"Not to worry!" Pinkie replied, grabbing Jack's hand to get herself up off the ground, smiling as always. "Say Jack, whatcha doing?"

Jack chuckled. "Just getting my breakfast muffin. What about you? You're quite early leaving, considering I normally see you inside Sugarcube Corner when I get here."

"I'm on my way to band practice with the girls!" Pinkie explained, keeping a smile on her face, and causing Jack to look at Pinkie in shock.

"W...what?" questioned Jack, checking his pocket watch to make sure of the time. It was only quarter past seven, and school would be starting at half past eight. "This early? Why?"

"Oh, y'know," Pinkie began, maintaining her smile, "the early bird catches the worm, right?"

"Oh, so you and the girls are just preparing ready for the concert together?" Jack asked, to which Pinkie simply nodded with an audible "mhm". There was a music festival event being held at the school in December, something all the students were excited for. While it would be their second annual event, it was being advitised as being better than ever. Especially since last year had some sirens try and ruin things and were stopped.

"Speaking of which," Jack restarted, chuckling as he spoke, "what's the plans for Halloween at school. Even though it's over two months away?"

"Well..." Pinkie looked like she wanted to tell him all of the plans for Halloween, how they planned to make it haunted, and how they planned some scary goodies. However, it would ruin any surprise that was planned. "It's meant to be a super-secret thing. Buuut -"

"But what?" Jack replied quickly. "If it's meant to be a secret, why tell me?"

"Err..." Pinkie struggled for a good enough answer, before looking at her phone and realising the time. "Because I need to get to school now for practice ok bye." And with that, Pinkie rushed off.

"Bye Pinkie," Jack tried to call back, not knowing whether or not Pinkie would hear. He then turned around, and entered Sugarcube Corner. Upon entering, Jack noticed Mrs. Cake at the counter, organising some of the food that was baked that morning. The absence of Mr. Cake kind of made him assume he was looking after the Cake Babies, Pound Cake and Plump Cake. None of the tables were occupied, which wasn't unexpected seeing as they had just opened up the shop, and were setting up ready for a good day of trading.

"Oh hi there, Jack," Mrs. Cake called out, noticing Jack enter. "Your usual morning order then?" Because of how frequently Jack came, he had managed to agree to have a monthly tab which got paid by his sister, who agreed to pay as Jack didn't have a job yet. It covered a muffin each morning, and any drinks and snacks he had there.

"What's the flavour then?" Jack replied, finally making it to the counter. "If it's something boring I'd rather not have it."

"Oh, Pinkie and I made a treat for you then!" Mrs. Cake was pulling a muffin out from the display, which was golden-brown with what looked like bacon and sausage mixed in.

"I'm assuming Bacon and Sausage flavoured?"

"And Hash Browns. We agreed to try it with them because we tried bacon and sausage alone once." Mrs Cake was busy bagging up the muffin, almost as if Jack was going to have one anyway. Almost as if it was some kind of routine.

"Go on then!" Jack finally answered, more in a giving in kind of way. After all, he was up for the experience of eating something different. "So," he went on, hoping to get a quick conversation in, "how are the babies? Last time I saw them they were maturing fast for their age."

"Oh...they're fine..." - Mrs. Cake sighed, realising that one of the babies was ill. “Pound’s got chicken pox, so Mr. Cake's looking after them."

"Ah." Jack had a good think about what he was going to say, but found it hard to think of anything else. So, he wished Mrs. Cake a good day, and left.


It was nearly 8 when Jack had arrived at Canterlot High School, his muffin half-eaten. On his way, he took a stroll through the park, noticing different couples either chatting as they went to school, or sat down. He could've sworn he saw some of them kissing, which he didn't mind. He didn't really care either.

Upon getting to school, he went to his locker, and put his bag in temporarily so that he didn't have to carry it around everywhere. He did, however, take out a small book with no title written on it from his bag first, before he went to a bench, sat down, and happily munched on his muffin while reading. It was nice and peaceful, until more students came in, bringing noise and the general hustle and bustle that came with it. Taking this as his cue to get ready for his first class, he got up, and went back to his locker for his first lesson's book: 11th Grade American History.

Walking into the classroom, he found nobody present just yet. So, with the freedom of choice, he took a seat at the back, near a window overlooking a beautiful lake with a waterfall at the top. He didn’t really pay much attention to the other students in his class filing in, nor did he hear the teacher announce that a new student had joined them. As much as he loved history, if he needed to know about anything that happened in America, all he had to do was take a three hour car drive to a museum which had records and objects that had existed since the 17th Century. A museum that also was about one of the oldest American families. His.


One boring hour later, Jack was glad to be at his locker, getting his gym clothes ready. He turned and was about to head right there, where he bumped into the second person today, knocking her to the ground. She had yellow skin, with what looked like fire-coloured hair, similar to Jack's sister. She was wearing some kind of blue gym wear, and had white trainers on.

"Hey, watch it!" The voice sounded feminine, yet it was one Jack didn't recognise. It didn't help that he knew hardly anyone there anymore, seeing as he now kept himself to himself and any lucky people he called friends.

"I'm sorry, but you kinda went into me." Jack responded, hoping to stay calm. He knew it wasn't a good idea to get detention on the first day.

"I did?" The voice replied, getting up. "You weren't looking where you were going!"

Jack started to lose his cool. "Well how do you explain me walking into someone when I WASN'T EVEN WALKING?"

This was too much for the female who he knocked into, who started to throw some choice words at Jack. He then responded with a few choice words of his own. A load of the students were gathering around them, hoping to see a fist fight start. Before one could start, Principal Celestia had arrived to see what all the commotion was about.

"I think," She began, "that both of you would like to spend some time in detention. Now."

Detention. The one word that Jack didn't want to hear. The one word nobody wanted to hear. And now he would be missing lessons because of someone who couldn't keep their temper, and caused him to lose his. And now he was walking with Principal Celestia and the girl he had rowed with to detention.

"This...is going to be a fucking nightmare," Jack thought to himself.

Author's Note:

Right, first of all I want to issue some thanks:

Thanks to PyraFlare Bullet for naming Jack Psychiro.
Thanks to Ragga_Muffin for helping me with Jack's and Pinkie's interaction.
Thanks to everyone in the PoME skype group for helping me get ideas for not only this chapter, but a lot of chapters I have planned.
And Thanks to everyone for reading and giving me suggestions!

(And for those who are interested, there are 8760 hours in a standard calendar year, and 8784 in a leap year. I did the maths :twilightsmile:)