• Published 19th Jul 2016
  • 721 Views, 5 Comments

The Exile's Return - well-this-is-awkward



Night Lily has ruled the bat ponies in their self imposed exile in The Everfree Forest for centuries. When a group of Timberwolves get too close to the border for comfort and supplies start getting low, she must venture out of her home to find food.

  • ...
0
 5
 721

Prolouge(small edits made)

'The nobles are not happy. Well, that is an understatment. The nobles are furious. Celestia has been trying to call them down for hours now. She's also been trying to sheild me. She thinks that she's succeeding. It's been like this since last night, when Nightmare Moon was banished. They need somepony to blame. They've chosen me.'

The young mare closed the book she had been writing in when she heard a sharp knock on her door. It was a tradition in her family to keep a diary. With their long lifespans, it got difficult to keep track of what happened when.

"Come in."

Another bat pony walked in, a member of the Lunar guard.

"Night Lily, Princess Celeatia has requested that you stay in your chambers for the time being, until she can clean things up with the nobles."

"I was expecting something like this. Is it just me the nobles are trying to punish or all bat ponies?"

The guard hesitated. He knew Princess Celestia had been trying to keep her in the dark, but her question clearly meant the older princess was failing.

"All of us."

"I thought so. I want you to talk to the others and see what they think about leaving."

"I mean no disrespect, but Princess Celestia-"

"Thank you for your honesty about what you think, but you know as well as I do she'll fail."

The guard looked down at the ground, unable to defend himself.

"I will obey your command."

He turned and left, and Lily started preparing. Celestia was too optimistic, thinking that they would be happy when the one responsible for all this was banished. They needed someone visible to punish. The public wasn't much better. Whispering about them in between celebrating the end of the battle. Few of the bat ponies had helped their former ruler when she fell. Most of them had fought her, working with the Day guard. Those that refused to fight their queen helped with the injured.

She pulled her teal mane up, twisting it into a bun. Grabbing her saddlebags, Lily raided her closet. In went her cloak and a hat. Buried under everything else was her formal attire, a silver circlet with a purple gem in the middle, a purple torc, and matching shoes. Anything else needed to wait.

Two weeks later and the bat ponies were in agreement. Too much was too much, and Night Lily would lead them out of Equestria. The nobles were acting the exact opposite of what the title would imply. They had been whipping the common ponies into a frenzy, calling for blood. Lily sat down to write.

'Dear Celestia,

Please don't blame yourself. This is our choice, we held a vote. The bat ponies have decided on exile. This is the best choice for both us and Equestria as a whole. The nobles and the public have their punishment, and we'll be were nopony else can hurt us. You can't tell me everything will be okay when there was a death last night, a preventable one.I'm leading them. Don't worry, we'll be fine. Don't stress yourself out.

Night Lily'

Her task was done. Night Lily had agonized over every letter. She was about to fly out the window, and hesitated. She was forgetting something important. Lily looked around and saw her diary. She was planning on leaving it behind, since she could only take what would fit in her saddlebags. Changing her mind, Lily pulled a dress out and wrapped the diary in it. She was ready now. Lily jumped out the window and flew.

"Goodbye Celestia."

The whisper unheard above the wind. Slowly more and more ponies joined her in flight, as they went far far away from their home.