• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 960 Views, 24 Comments

The Starlight Broadcast - ponyfhtagn



During 'The Cutie Re-Mark' as Starlight attempts to change time, something goes horribly wrong. There's a bright flash and a shockwave. Spike is stranded in the past and Twilight is missing. Now the future is changing in a way that nopony predicted.

  • ...
3
 24
 960

Pt.1 - Chapter 19

Spike was up in Rarity’s room again.

He didn’t really need to be. Rarity was at school, yes, but the rest of the family had also gone out. They were taking Sweetie Belle to the doctor for a scheduled check-up. She was about that age where she might start experiencing random bursts of magical energy whenever she hiccupped or sneezed. It hadn’t started yet, and Rarity said it didn’t run in the family, but the check-up would still go ahead as planned.

Spike sat by Rarity’s sewing machine and peeked out the curtains of her bedroom window. Nothing was happening outside. Just the same as the last time he checked.

Spike leaned back and scratched impatiently at his arm. He should really go and see Zecora. He knew he should. Maybe she had something for this mess but she hadn’t said anything. Spike couldn’t really bring himself to go and ask her. That would mean admitting that there was a problem and that it worried him.

…it would also mean showing her what the armband had become.

Spike looked gingerly down at the ring of enchanted changeling hide, and winced at the black threads that now spread outward along his scales. The dark roots radiated twice the length of the band itself, both up and down his arm. Rarity hadn’t charged the item with magic all day and yet the band still held that blue-ish sheen and Spike still felt it squirming with potential energy.

Sometimes he thought it was, maybe, suggesting things to him. Shapes he could almost see. Shapes it wanted to try.

Spike shook his head to clear it. That was being too silly. It wasn’t alive, it was just a weird artefact that had gotten out of control. Happens all the time. Except that it usually happened to Twilight or Rarity or Trixie. Or if it did happen to Spike he normally had somepony there to help him through it.

Like that time that he had given in to dragon greed and started hording everything he could get his claws on. He’d grown really, really big and become… sort of… dumber. Meaner. Like the other dragons.

No… That wasn’t right. More like the wild dragons that Spike had met in caves around Equestria. He had to admit they were different from the dragon semi-society that he had met during the migration. It had never really occurred to Spike to consider the difference. Twilight had spoken of ‘dragons’ and ‘wild dragons’ as if there were a distinction—and, he guessed, there was.

Were ‘wild dragons’ what regular dragons became if they started hoarding gems and things? No… That didn’t make sense either. Those dragon teenagers already had great piles of gemstones and other treasure. They didn’t seem like the type to resist giving into anything they felt like doing, whether it was chasing ponies or smashing phoenix eggs.

So then… what had happened to Spike?

A noise from outside derailed that train of thought. Spike peeked through the curtains again and gasped with delight. In a flash he had disguised himself and was down the stairs and out the front door.

“Is that the mail?” Spike asked eagerly.

Derpy looked around until she spied him on the doorstep. “Oh, hiya Rarity. Something wrong with your voice? I didn’t recognise you.”

Spike looked down at himself in surprise. Had he meant to do that? Well, he hadn’t really specified any pony in particular, he thought. He had just gotten so used to going with whatever felt right for the situation. And, to be fair, this was Rarity’s house.

“Oh, um…” Spike coughed politely and tried his best ‘Rarity’ impression. “Just a slight cold, dear. That’s all.”

“It sounds pretty bad,” Derpy said.

Spike frowned. Why did he even bother?

“I guess that’s why you’re home from school,” Derpy said.

Spike cleared his throat again. “Yes, but I should get better soon. Um… the mail?”

“Oh. Right.” Derpy brought out a letter and passed it over. “Sure looks like a fancy envelope. And the stamp says its from Canterlot. Wow. You know, you always seemed like the kind of pony who’d fit in around there.”

“Yes, yes, I just love Canterlot,” Spike said, taking the letter and retreating. “Thanks Derpy, but I really should be getting back to bed.”

“Oh yeah, no problem,” Derpy said. She hefted her mailbag. “Lots more letters to deliver.”

“Have a good day,” Spike said and shut the door.

In a flash of green light he was back to himself, taking the letter straight upstairs and taring it open with his claws.

“Wait…” he said to himself. “…shouldn’t I wait for Rarity so we can read it together?”

He set the opened-but-still-folded letter on the sewing machine desk; sat, and stared at it. Maybe a minute ticked by.

“I can’t,” Spike groaned.

He pulled out the letter and flipped it open. Eagerly his eyes darted along the paper. His smile shrank. His scaly earflaps drooped and his jaw hung open.

“…but,” he said. “…what does that mean?”

It was a few more hours before Rarity got home. Her family were still out, probably making a day of it at the park or something. She called around the house and found it silent. Eagerly she trotted upstairs and knocked on her bedroom door.

“Spike?” Rarity called. “Are you in there?”

“Yeah,” Spike answered from inside.

Rarity pushed open the door. “Spike, what’s wrong? You sound glum.”

He sat on the floor in his green and purple pony disguise. Honestly, he was becoming really attached to that thing lately. What kind of dragon liked to spend all his time being a pony? She tsked as she approached him.

“Spike—” Rarity began.

He held up a folded piece of paper.

Rarity paused and then took it with her magic, unfolding it. “What’s this? Ooo, is this a reply from Canterlot?”

“Read it,” Spike said without looking up.

Rarity gave him a worried look before she turned back to the page. “Dear Rarity. This is Twilight’s mother.” Rarity winced. That was never a good sign. “I’m sorry if this reply is in anyway late. I found your letter lying around the house and did not know how long it had been there. My daughter, Twilight, is normally very organised and marks all the letters she has replied to with a special stamp so as not to cause confusion. Good gracious, Spike, does she really?”

“Keep reading,” Spike said.

Rarity turned hesitantly back to the page. “As your letter was not among them I suppose that Twilight had not yet gotten back to you. In light of recent circumstances I feel compelled to do so in her place. Please know that I greatly appreciate you taking the time to check in with old friends. I know the Starburst Event has shaken all our lives and I understand the desire to reach out to those we know or perhaps once knew.

“So I will tell you that Twilight was unharmed during the blast. Though I feel that she has suffered some stress and she is not doing well in this respect. Perhaps I should not be telling you this. Perhaps this is just my way of coping. But your letter voice and the fact that you went to Magic Kindergarten with Twilight makes me think of you as somepony quite intelligent for her age.

“Rest assured that Twilight was not hurt by the blast. I have every confidence,” and here the words became a little shaky, “that she will be back to herself in no time. Cadence and Shining Armor are doing fine also. I’m sorry but I don’t know anypony named Spike…” Rarity’s voice trailed off. “Oh Spike.”

“Keep reading,” Spike said again.

“But,” Rarity continued. “I’m sure Twilight will be back home in no time and she can answer you properly. Take care and kindest regards; Mrs. Sparkle.”

Rarity looked up.

Spike was watching her now. “Well?”

“Spike, I’m so sorry,” Rarity said. “I can’t imagine how it feels to not… exist.”

“What?” Spike said. “Rarity, who cares about that! Didn’t you see that bit at the end? She said ‘I’m sure Twilight will be back home soon.’ What does that mean? She said Twilight wasn’t doing so well. What do you think happened to her?”

“I… I don’t know,” Rarity admitted. “But I’m sure she’s alright. Mrs. Sparkle was very candid in her letter.”

“That’s how you know she’s hiding something!” Spike exclaimed suddenly. “I lived with her for years. She always got really forward and honest right when she had something she didn’t want anypony else to worry about! Rarity, something’s happened to Twilight and I need to go help her!”

He was holding Rarity’s forelegs by now.

“Okay,” Rarity said to calm him. “Of course, Spike. Any time. We just need an excuse to get away and I’ll be right there with you. Whatever it is we’ll help her through it. You said she was strong and brave and clever. I’m sure she’ll be fine, Spike. Don’t worry.”

Spike slumped back from her. “But I do worry,” he said. “Twilight’s growing up without me and I’m not there for her.” He looked at the window. “She probably didn’t get into Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Without the rainboom, maybe she couldn’t pass her test. That probably broke her heart. No wonder she’s hurting.” Spike began to whimper just thinking about it.

“Not to worry at all,” Rarity assured him. “Tomorrow is the weekend and we shall have two whole days to get away. I’ll think of an excuse if I have to stay up all night!”

Spike smiled and turned back to her.

She was still holding the letter from Canterlot with her blue magic.

Spike’s gaze drifted over to the sewing table where the empty envelope now sat.

“What if…” He said cautiously. An idea twinkled in his eyes. “Rarity, I think I might have a plan.”

“She’s what?” Rarity’s mother exclaimed.

Rarity’s father held up the letter for her. “Requested to attend an entrance exam for Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.”

No,” her mother proudly exclaimed.

“See for yourself,” her father said. “It’s a fancy envelope with a stamp from Canterlot and everything. Heck, the letter’s got Celestia’s signature on it. What more do you need?”

Rarity winced at that and cast a vengeful glance towards the stairs.

“Oh my little girl,” her mother beamed. “We’re so proud of you, hon. I always knew you were so talented.”

“Oh, but dear,” her father broke in. “This letter says you need to be in Canterlot by tomorrow and stay over the weekend. I’m not sure we can go with you. Sweetie Belle’s developed some…” He glanced back towards the living room where the baby was sleeping. “…erratic magical surges. Perfectly normal for a foal her age, they tell us, but we’ll need to keep her home and keep an eye on her.”

Rarity had already heard this news before her parents had even gotten home, of course, being an active member of the Ponyville gossip loop. Apparently Sweetie Belle had levitated a bowl of lollipops at the paediatrician’s head. Such a delightful foal.

“Not to worry,” Rarity assured them, hoping she didn’t sound too nervous. “If you’ll just read the letter carefully you’ll see that all expenses will be paid and I’ll have accommodation provided for me during my visit.”

“Oh, how lovely,” her mother approved. “But dear, aren’t you a bit young to be travelling to Canterlot on your own?”

“I went to Manehatten didn’t I?” Rarity reminded them.

“Yes, but you were staying with a friend and her parents,” Rarity’s father said.

“Aunt and Uncle, actually,” Rarity said. “But, um… Not to worry! I can stay with my friend, uh, Twilight. She lives in Canterlot and we’ve been the best penpals, I’m sure she’d be delighted to have me visit.”

“Aww,” her father said. “Our little girl is so organised, isn’t she dear?”

“Oh yes, and so clever,” her mother said. “Why of course she deserves to get into a fancy unicorn school.” She put a hoof to her cheek. “Oh my. But if you get in you’ll have to move to Canterlot.”

“Ahhh, not to worry,” Rarity said again. The line was wearing thin now. “I probably won’t get in. I just appreciate the opportunity.”

“Nonsense,” her father said. “If anypony’s going to get into a fancy unicorn school in Canterlot it’s going to be our little Rarity.”

“Oh, absolutely,” her mother agreed. “You reach for those stars, Rarity.”

“Hmmhmm, yes,” Rarity winced. “We’ll see…”

At last she was able to escape upstairs and seal herself in her room.

“Ughhh,” she groaned, leaning against the door.

“Did they buy it?” Spike asked, still in his pony disguise.

“A little too much, I think,” Rarity said. “They’re quite convinced that I’m going to get into that school and become some successful unicorn wizard. Ohhh… They’ll be ever so slightly devastated when I come back, I’m afraid.”

“Sorry…” Spike offered.

Rarity glared at him. “And I can’t believe you faked Celestia’s signature,” she whispered harshly. “Celestia. Of all things, Spike, really.”

Spike shrugged. “We needed it to look real. I’ve seen Celestia’s signature a thousand times. It wasn’t difficult.”

“That’s not the point,” Rarity huffed. “You do realise that we’ve just committed forgery. Of the Princess’s royal signature no less! Ohhh…” she fumed.

Spike scuffed at the carpet with his forehoof and hung his head. “I guess I didn’t really think. I just wanted to get to Twilight as soon as possible.” He sighed. “Maybe it would be better if I go alone.”

Rarity perked up at once. “Spike, don’t be ridiculous. Where would you be without me? Besides, we are in this together. You need to see Twilight and I’m going to help you. End of discussion.” She turned up her muzzle and tapped her hoof.

Spike looked at her and smiled. “I don’t deserve a friend like you,” he said.

“No,” Rarity agreed. “But I have taken it upon myself to so generously help those less fortunate; especially when it comes to silly little dragons.” She winked. “Now get some rest. We’re leaving bright and early tomorrow and I won’t stand for tardiness.”

She smiled and flicked off the light.

“Thanks, Rarity,” Spike said, climbing into his basket.

He pulled the blanket over himself so that it covered most of him and then, with a green flash, returned to his proper dragon state.

Rarity stood there for a moment in the dark. She considered turning the light back on. Spike was hiding something but she didn’t know what. Hiding himself, mostly. His dragon shape. Could it be that he was becoming self-conscious? Maybe all the pony disguises and the hiding had caused him some kind of… shame.

“Spike,” Rarity said gently.

“Mm?”

“I just want you to know… I think it’s really great to be a dragon. I know we don’t really have dragons in Ponyville, but I’m sure that… maybe when you’re up for it… we could try and change that.”

“Mm… Maybe…” Spike mumbled.

He rolled over and snuggled deeper into the blankets.

Rarity went to her bed and climbed in. “Goodnight, Spike.”

“Night,” he said.

“Sweet dreams,” Rarity said.

He didn’t respond.

So she just rolled over and closed her eyes.

Canterlot…

She smiled. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” she whispered.