• Published 10th Jul 2016
  • 220 Views, 5 Comments

Paper Present - Artistic Dawn



Soft Pencil is young filly with a passion for her penciled art with bad luck at making friends.

  • ...
 5
 220

The Party

CHAPTER 3 – The Party

The afternoon sun made the Trim Manor seem to shine as brilliant as a freshly cut diamond; and basking in its glory was a crowd of ponies, waiting to enter into it. Inside, it was actually grander; the polished Ivory walls stood with drapes of gold and deep maroon adorning them. The crowds were guided by a number of very well groomed servants; down the extended hallways. The younger ponies of the groups each carried a large box, wrapped in wrapping paper bearing the face of the young Princess Twilight Sparkle; each box topped with a pink or purple bow.

The groups were each led to a massive ballroom. This room as also adorned with drapes; but with ones of pink and purple. There were matching color streamers running around the ballrooms’ giant columns, and crisscrossing with the chandeliers. Several Pink and Purple balloons were tied down at each corner of the room, and there was a stage in the far back that was being used by a large orchestral band, which played soft compositions as the guests arrived. Opposite to the open doors from which the guests were being led in, there was another set of doors; but they were closed.

Fillies and colts of different ages were told to leave the gifts on the large table that was standing to the right side of the entrance. After what seemed like hours, the last of the invited guests entered the ballroom.

As the party got underway, the music got louder. Grown Adults went to speak with neighbors and friends, as the children either danced or played one of the multiple games that had been set up. Several children were either playing ‘Pin the Tail on the Pony’, or playing with the giant bounce house, when a choir of trumpets were blasted forth. Herds of heads turned to the large closed doors, where many servants now stood at each side. One of them stepped forward and began to shout to the crowd.

“Announcing her royal highness…The Princess of Friendship…Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The doors opened up wide to reveal the Princess. She wore a golden gown with pink sapphires patterned around the edges. Her royal crown glimmered brightly as the crowds bowed down to her. The Princess, however, gave a bit of a sheepish smile as she looked around the grand party. She gulped a little as she started to walk forward. She advanced into the room, and over to the dining tables.

She approached the largest table, the one with a bright pink table cloth covering it. She eyed her seat, realizing she would be sat right next to…a filly with a plastic gold crown, embossed with small pink jewels. Twilight’s eyes widened at the seemingly crestfallen filly. The filly looked up and saw her. Her eyes widened, and she quietly got up from her chair. She opened her mouth, but before she could say anything another voice booms throughout the room.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, please welcome our hostess…Miss Bronze Ribbon!”

Twilight turned to see a light brown unicorn filly walk onto the stage. The young pony was wearing a dress that is quite similar to Twilight’s own gown, only with orange Gems and a light orange feathered collar. The filly named Bronze Ribbon grabbed the mic from the side and began to speak.

“Welcome one and all to this magnanimous party hosted by myself,” several foals cheered loudly for a minute before Bronze Ribbon waved her hoof to quiet them down, and with a grin, she carried on; “I know, I know, you all love me; but this day isn’t about me. This party is also about our one…our only…Bow Trim!” She waved a hoof over and a spotlight flashed down on both Twilight and the filly next to her. The light was only on them for a belief moment, before it was suddenly shut off. Then, a larger brighter spot light shined down on the party’s hostess. Twilight rolled her eyes as she continued to watch the boastful filly; it reminded her of a certain blue unicorn mare who used to boast as well. But she was doing much better these days, especially since her student had befriended her. Speaking of Starlight, she really needed to work out a better system for letter delivery; Spike was still a baby, and could only send so many letters before he gets worn out.

Twilight ceased her daydreaming as she heard the sound of several hooves run over to the large table of presents by one of the door. They each grabbed a present and walked up, and they each looked around for a seat. At almost all siting placements there was a folded piece of paper and a pencil. Sitting themselves down, they began writing what appeared to be their names. When they were done, they set the newly made name tags in front of them. In fact, all but three sitting placements were like this. Twilight turned to face the three, which were already marked, with three names written in a dark gold exuberant cursive.

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Bow Trim
Bronze Ribbon

She looked for a brief moment longer before taking her seat; the one that was on the right side of Bow Trim. With her back to the wall, she faced the whole ballroom. Most of the other adult ponies where on the other side of the room, eating off of what appeared to be a buffet table, and they had their backs turned to face each other. As soon as the last of the foals had finished writing their names tags, Bronze Ribbon, who was directly across from her, clapped her hooves together. One by one, a servant walked next to each foal that had a present in front of them, and picked them up. They walked over and stood directly behind Bronze Ribbon. Bronze Ribbon suddenly, without looking behind her, lifted up one of the presents and floated it over to Bow Trim. All with her eyes closed with a giant closed smile upon her face. She set the wrapped box in front of Bow Trim and then opened her eyes. Bow Trim looked at the tag, and then carefully opened the gift.

For the next thirty minutes, it was the same thing on a loop. Bow Trim would open a present, and find something that was in one form or another, a Twilight Sparkle related. Twilight glared a little at each one. For the first few presents, she found it a little cute; but as it went on, her enthusiasm waned. She took a deep breath as she surveyed her unauthorized branding. She already knew that all the other Princesses had to deal with this as well, but it still annoyed her. They looked so cheap in her eyes; from the tiny tea set with only a few cups to the vanity that was too big to be opened on the table. Each and every one of them had the same lifeless smile expression on them. They must have found an old picture of her from the paper and just slapped it on each of their products.

She looked over to Bow Trim who, if anything, looked even more crestfallen then when she first saw her. Her gaze turned to sympathy for the poor filly. She had no idea why she was upset at the beginning of the party, but now it was all too clear in her eyes as she watch Bronze Ribbon float over what seemed to be the last branded present. Bow Trim looked for a second at the tag then unwrapped to reveal another Princess Twilight Sparkle mane brush with a gold handle.

Bronze Ribbon sat up and was about to speak before a servant tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around to glare when she noticed something. She used her magic and floated the last present over; a peculiar look on her face. It was clear to see why; as she passed the present over to Bow Trim. Several eyes widened in surprise, Twilight’s included. For one thing, it was not another brand wrapped box. It wasn’t even wrapped up in wrapping paper. The gift that was in front of her was flat, wrapped in what appeared to be newspaper comics, with a notebook paper bow on top. There was no tied on tag, no name was written anywhere. Bow Trim, with a look of surprise still on her face, started to unwrapped this unusual gift.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter.

Hope you enjoy!