• Published 4th Jul 2016
  • 140 Views, 1 Comments

Lower the Moon - HighestKingdom



A fanfiction of the rise and fall of the Lunar Republic, from the view of a faithful apprentice.

  • ...
 1
 140

Chapter 1: Prologue

I had a dream. Once. Or... perhaps that isn’t the best description for it. Perhaps what is best said is that I have only one dream that I remember.

I don’t remember how the dream started, only that the dream was dark and muted. The only sound in my dream beside silence was the dripping sound of water and the low rumbling of untold depths. I remember coldness and loneliness, for to my memory within the dream, no one had ventured into this dark with me. Where I dared to walk, my hooves slid on gravel, unsure and unsteady. The quietness unsettled me.

How had I gotten where I was? Had I fallen from the surface world, plummeted like a juvenile bird, down to where the sun could not reach? What kind of calamity had struck to rob me from the world, what unfairness had been done to me? I wondered if anyone was searching for me, more so than I wondered if they could find me. Then I wondered if nobody would ever search for me, because, perhaps, someone had banished me down here. Did the earth, then, by the command of a higher volition, swallow me whole? Was I then a condemned pony, imprisoned to those inescapable depths? What unfairness had I caused for the ground itself to deem me despicable--was it a crime of action, or inaction? Both were equally punishable.

Or... perhaps, instead, I had always existed down here. I had no memory of how I had gotten here because I had always been here. Perhaps this darkness I currently feared was all I knew.

The last thought terrified and comforted me the most. I would not belong to the lost or the forsaken, because I would belong to no one. No one would miss me, or wish me this terrible fate. I would stay down here not because I was forgotten, rather because I was never known. This thought was a warm sadness, a resignation to fate, as if I had undergone an acceptance of self sacrifice. Except there was no one to sacrifice for. No one cared for me, hated me, even knew about me. My self pity combated with my craving of escape from myself. Distraught would allow me no respite.

So in my only dream, I wandered conflicted. This cavern of darkness was my kingdom of oblivion, to rule the emptiness with my own empty self. Any other kingdom, any other scepter, and I would have at least had power to distract myself. How doomed it was, to have only yourself.

As my thoughts sealed themselves, I saw a glimmer among the black rocks. A soft, pale glow lit the thin film of crawling water along the cavern surfaces, creating a ghostly glimmer dispelling the dark. Through the cracks of my empty cavern, moonlight pierced and filled it. In this fracture of light, I beheld a figure as gentle as a shadow. Just as I had been convinced of my doomed isolation, I heard her promise me: “You will never be alone anymore.”

Author's Note:

So it begins. A short introduction by Sable Light, shedding some light not only on herself but something a little more o:

Like how much I suck at writing. And starting things.