• Published 3rd Jul 2016
  • 224 Views, 2 Comments

Legends of Eagleclaw - Ravenhoof



These stories are about the royal family Eagleclaw. They tell of magic, friendship, heroic actions, knights, dragons, and most of all- Griffons. These so called myths hail from the fallen kingdom of Griffonstone.

  • ...
 2
 224

The Legend of Geoffrey Eagleclaw

This first legend starts in a place in the land of Equestria, a nation across the Celestial Sea from Griffonstone. This country had lush, green hills and valleys, with towering mountains in the distance. There were gurgling streams and raging rivers, and the land was abundant in flora and fauna.

Our story begins closely to the same place that the modern town of Ponyville was settled. In these times, the land was dotted with huts and one market. This village was called Ponyrith, and was filled with friendship and happiness, but it also held a dark reputation for housing two dangerous creatures: Dragons and Griffons.

Griffons were often known to steal from and terrorize the ponies since ancient times, when ponies and Griffons lived in the same country. The ponies grew to have an instinctive fear of Griffons and Hippogriffs, pony Griffon hybrids. Dragons, well, Dragons were Dragons. I don't need to touch on that one. Basically, Griffons and Dragons were hated and feared.

But, of course, not all Griffons were cruel tyrants. One day, a group of Griffons hailing from Griffonstone settled in a territory outside of Ponyrith, with mountainous terrain. The Griffons were very kind-hearted and friendly, and wanted to invite them to the new village, called Griffanchester. The ponies of Ponyrith were horrified by the news of Griffons. The Griffons claimed they were coming in peace, but the ponies were too scared, and shut out the Griffons from Ponyrith.

The Griffons still built their settlement in the mountains, but they had to stay as far away from the ponies as possible. The Griffons were sad that they couldn't be friends with the ponies, but they went their separate ways. Until a certain Griffon arrived in Equestria.

Prince Geoffrey Eagleclaw was the Son of King Gervasius Eagleclaw and Heir to the Throne of Griffonstone. Geoffrey was a handsome Griffon, with golden fur and feathers. His wings were tipped with brown. Even his ears were special. They were pointy and proud, and held high, like the ears of the proudest Doberman.

But don't let his looks fool you. He may have looked regal and fierce as the Son of King Gervasius Eagleclaw and Heir to the Throne of Griffonstone should be, but he had a helpful and kind spirit. Apparently a bit too helpful and kind for King Gervasius. Gervasius was a cruel leader, and wanted his kingdom powerful, with no weaklings. He secretly sent his Royal Guard to capture the "weaklings", and ship them far away to Equestria.

Geoffrey hid under his bed, afraid he would be captured too. When the Guard reached his room, they couldn't find him. They kept moving.

Geoffrey was also a curious Griffon, and he wanted to see what was happening, so he followed the ship to Equestria by flying. This slowed him down a bit, so he arrived in Griffanchester a few days later.

Geoffrey chose to settle on the highest mountain in Griffanchester. Why, you ask? Because he liked the view. He learned the language of the native animals in a few weeks time, and became their protector. In exchange for protection, the animals gave him news of the town of Ponyrith.

One day, Geoffrey received an interesting report of Ponyrith from a squirrel. A Unicorn had gone missing! "

"A Unicorn?" he asked the squirrel.

"Yeah, haven't you heard of a Unicorn before?" he replied.

"Of course I've heard of a Unicorn!" he exclaimed. "I live in Equestria! But what if the ponies think us Griffons took him? We'll be in bigger trouble than ever before!"

The Unicorn had supposedly been taken by a creature called Alduin. For some reason, this name sounded familiar to Geoffrey, but he didn't care! He had to clear Griffanchester's name!

Of course, Geoffrey remembered one thing: Ponies are afraid of Griffons. So he went to the Griffanchester blacksmith, and ordered a helmet to hide his face, and a suit of armour for the rest of his body. When the suit was finished, he looked like, albeit lumpy, pony. The Prince paid for his suit and went into the place we know as the Everfree Forest. But in the old days, that place was called the Evergreene Forrest, so we will call it as such.

The Evergreene Forrest looked as dank and dark as it does now, if not darker. Geoffrey heard many noises he had never heard before, such as screeches of an unknown bird. We now know that bird as a Cockatrice, and we all know that it is no bird. Geoffrey was scared, and considered turning back. But he remembered his quest, and trekked on.

Eventually, Geoffrey came to a clearing in the forest. In the clearing was a hut! He was wondering if the residents would let him in for a rest.

"Hello?" he called. "Anybody in there?"

"Who goes there?" boomed a voice from behind. Geoffrey fainted.

"Ugh, I hate it when that happens", said the loud voice. He splashed water on Geoffrey's face.

"Wake up, kid, and tell me why you're here." Geoffrey came to, and nearly fainted again when he saw what had scared him. It was a tall, green, scary Dragon!

"Please don't eat me?" Geoffrey whimpered. "I taste bad."

"I'm not going to eat you. I'm a vegetarian. I don't do meat." the Dragon replied.

"Oh, good," Geoffrey sighed. "I'm here to rescue a Unicorn from some guy called Alduin!"

"Well, you've come to the right place!" the Dragon announced. "I'm Alduin!"

"Wait, you're a vegetarian Dragon." Geoffrey was beginning to put the pieces together. "Your name is Alduin. I know you! You're Alduin Dahrendorf, my childhood friend!"

"And you must be," said Alduin. "Geoffrey... Eagleclaw?"

"Exactly so!" said Geoffrey. Then he remembered his quest. "Why did you take the Unicorn?"

"Take him?" Alduin was astonished. "I didn't take him! He willingly followed me home. I wanted to ask him an important question. I was too embarrassed to ask him in public, so I asked him to follow me. I didn't mean any harm..." Alduin looked ashamed.

"Look, it's okay now. May I escort the Unicorn home?" Geoffrey asked.

"Of course." Alduin replied. "I asked him the question."

"What exactly was the question?" Geoffrey inquired.

"I wanted to know how Unicorn magic worked," whispered Alduin.

"Oh," replied the Prince. "I was worried it was something else!"

Geoffrey walked up to the hut, and went in. In the living room, a Unicorn was waiting in a chair. He was a beautiful creature. He had black fur, and a white mane and tail. He also had a beard.

"Hi there," the Unicorn said. "Are you here to take me home, Mr. Griffon?" Geoffrey was shocked.

"Yes, I'm taking you home," he replied. "Hey, how did you tell I was a Griffon?"

"Let's just say you're horrible at hiding your tail," the Unicorn said. "What's your name?"

"My name's Geoffrey Eagleclaw," said Geoffrey. "Yours?"

"I'm Silvermane the Bearded," replied the Unicorn. "I'm the most powerful Unicorn in Equestria!"

"Really?" asked Geoffrey. "That's why Alduin asked you about magic! You'd know all about it!"

"Yep, but right now, I want to go home. I have a son, you know."

"Really?" said Geoffrey. "What's his name?"

"Starswirl. I have a feeling that he's going to be a better wizard than me!" Silvermane beamed.

"Enough chatter!" Geoffrey announced. "We have to get you home!"

When the pair returned to Ponyrith, the ponies were astonished! Why had a scary Griffon come to Ponyrith? Why did he have the missing Unicorn? What's with his stupid armour? He looked like a fat Pegasus! Geoffrey soon explained what had happened with Alduin the Dragon. The ponies sighed with relief. Then, Get asked them an important question!

"Citizens of Ponyrith! I would like to ask one question to the leader of Ponyrith!" A grey Pegasus with a blue mane and tail walked up to the front.

"I am Stormbringer, leader of Ponyrith!" said he. "We are in debt to the Griffons for saving Silvermane! So, what do ya want?

"I," began Geoffrey, "would like to declare... peace! I would like Griffanchester to be Ponyrith's new ally!"
Silvermane liked the idea! "So be it!" He declared. "Long live Geoffrey and the Griffons of Griffanchester!"
And they lived peacefully ever after. The End.

Author's Note:

So, this is my first chapter! More will come soon. This legend was based on a story I wrote for Spanish class. The names of the cities were based on historical cities called Penrith and Godmanchester. The names of the characters came from a list of Medieval names. Silvermane was a horse name in the list, as was Stormbringer. I hope you liked this so far. - Ravenhoof