• Published 4th Jul 2016
  • 405 Views, 10 Comments

Love (and other things) in Prance - Phoenix Heart 27



What would you do if a simple vacation turned into the adventure of a lifetime?...

  • ...
4
 10
 405

Chapter 3: Job

Author's Note:

To listen to second half of chapter.

To listen to first half of chapter.

3 Weeks Later…

“Oh Thank Celestia for older brothers! This is great! I can’t believe he managed to wire me this amount!”, Paint exclaimed joyfully as he counted the bits he just got.

“What? What did he do?”, Rosie asked as she helped him put away groceries.

“He wired me eight 500 bitcoins along with an explanation on how in tartarus he got this kind of money!”, Paint replied as he got the last grocery bag out of his saddlebags.

“So that would be 4,000 bits total. Add that to the 1,800 bits you already had saved…...that’s 5,800 bits you have.”, Rosie did the math as she put away the milk and came back to her saddlebags to grab a special package.

“That it is Rosie. 5,800 bits to be used mainly for bills/rent…. It doesn't help that I’m still unemployed but that will soon change if I get that job I applied for.”, Paint said with slight confidence.

“Well then here’s a little something to help you on your interviewé. Rosie said as she hoofed him the package from her saddlebag.

“Aww, gee. Rosie you didn't have to get me anything!”, Paint said with a tiny hint of a blush forming.

“Well I was going to wait until the Summer Sun Celebration tomorrow morning to give you it...but I think you could use it now!”, Rose said cheerfully.

Paint opened the box and nearly fainted when he saw a brand new professional grade art kit and mini easel.

“I figured you’d like a new one because I noticed your old one was getting pretty worn down. Do you like it?”, Rosie asked. Excitedness turning into worry as he didn't immediately respond.

“Like it? I LOVE IT!!!”, Paint exclaimed as he jumped around like a excited child. Then he did something neither of them expected. He leaned in and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Roseblossom, at the rather unexpected contact between lips and cheek, turned an even brighter shade of rose pink. It was then Paint Smear realized what he did and turned a deep shade of red.

“I-I-I’m so sorry! I-I don't know what came over me! I was just so excited and well…”, His voice fell off as he noticed a small grin turn into a full blown smile appear in her face.

Before she could even think about what she was about to do, Rose grabbed him by his shirt collar and kissed him full on the lips. At first Paint was very confused but nonetheless kissed back. Eventually they both had to come up for air and the kiss ended.

“Woah!.....”, Paint said after a minute of catching his breath.

“Ditto!....”, Rose agreed.

After a few more moments of awkward sikence between the two of them Paint broke it.

“Y-You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that. Almost a full month.”, he said after a while.

“Same….” Rose started, “....I-I feel as if I’d be lying if I didn't say I’ve been….attracted to you for quite some time.”, she finished.

At that Paint chuckled and, feeling a bit more brave, kissed her again. To which she happily accepted with eagerness. They were so lost in the moment that neither of them heard the front door open and somepony come in. They did notice, however when they heard two low whistles and a few catcalls and quickly broke apart from their “mini make-out session”.

“Well it’s about time you two!”, Brick said.

“I was beginning to think you two would never ‘fess up your feelings!”, Ocean laughed.

“Now I hate to break up this little love fest, but Paint does have an interview to be getting to with a certain sword defence studio.”, Brick stated, to the amusing shock of Paint Smear.

“Sweet Luna you’re right!”, Paint shouted as he started scrambling around trying to find his sword-fighting outfit and sheathed weapon itself.

Rose laughed as she held up his tunic and tights, Ocean held up his boots and Brick held (very gingerly) his actual sword and sheath. Paint spun in a full 180° as he saw his friends with his stuff and carefully retrieved his tunic and tights from Rose. He then proceeded to go to his room to change from “artist mode” to “swordstallion mode”.

“Brick! Could you pass me my sword?”, Paint asked/shouted from his room.

Brick just chuckled and gave his friend his weapon through the door. Paint, with his green tunic and black tights on, swiftly attached his scabbard and hilted his sheath to his side and across his back before finally combing his silver mane and tail.

“Now I’m ready.”, Paint said in a rather serious tone as he exited with his ensemble nearly complete.

The three ponies who were sitting in the livingroom quickly stood in awe as their friend was nearly dressed for his interview. All he was missing was his boots and shield, both of which Ocean gave to him proudly. Paint slipped on the boots and carefully adjusted his shield to his back before doing a last minute check through that he had all essential weaponry and defence mechanisms plus his résumé and keys in his saddlebags, which he had already placed on his back before the shield.

“So...how do I look?”, Paint asked.

The stallions’ jaws hung open while Rose was the only one who had enough sense to talk.

“I think...you look more amazing in this than anything I’ve seen you in ever…”, Rose said in slight shock.

Paint smiled and kissed her cheek as he opened the door for everypony.

'And such a gentlecolt too’ Roseblossom thought to herself as they made their way out into the bright late morning sky.


When most ponies think job interview, they would automatically start stressing. Yet that wasn't the case with Paint Smear. Just like the day of his graduation, he was completely calm and chill as he entered the studio. When the young filly at the front desk saw him, she instantly noticed the aire of ‘warrior' around the stallion.

comment puis-je vous aider monsieur?”, the receptionist asked kindly.

Paint smiled at the filly and asked in prench where the manager was. He also explained that he was there for a job interview. To which the filly pointed him in the direction of the outdoor training area.


The area was practically empty save for an older stallion who could easily be mistaken for a helpless individual, but Paint knew better than to judge by first glance. His first instinct was that this old stallion had a lot of powerful energy stored in his fraile frame. He boldly but cautiously approached the stallion.

Bonjour Monsieur, My name is Paint Smear. I’m here about the open instructor position.”, Paint spoke in a calm tone with a hint of edge.

The stallion rose from his cushion and stepped right in front of the colt. His eyes a smouldering grey looked into Paint’s emerald ones as if he were observing his very soul.

“You want the job yes? Well Monsieur, you’ll have to prove your worth. Shall we begin?”, the old stallion asked.

Paint nodded and readied his sword and shield, having already expected this as a requirement for possible employment.

The older stallion readied with a long bladed sword of his own and the two stallions had an all out respectable sword-fight. Clash!, Bang! the sound of sword against shield, coupled witb the various grunts and snorts from the males made for a truly interesting spectacle to witness….had anypony been there to bear witness. Pretty soon the old stallion was getting tired and Paint saw his opportunity to strike and end the match finally. With one light swing of his sword the match ended.

“I must say ‘yearling’ that was some impressive fighting I’ve seen in years.”, the old stallion praised.

Merci.”, Paint replied slightly out of breath.

“You start next Monday with a morning class of 20 young colts ages 7-12.”, the stallion replied.

Paint stood his ground as he sheathed his sword and bowed in the way of a warrior. His face was neutral but inside he hoof pumped the air in triumph.

“Thank you Mr….”, His voice fell in unknown as he walked away.

“Blade Curve. See you next week ‘yearling'.”, Mr. Blade Curve replied as he sat back down and Paint exited the facility.


Ocean couldn't help but pace the sky as the three of them waited outside the studio.

“Ooohh! I can’t take ze suspense! He’s been in there too long! I hope he got it.”, Ocean said. His voice full of worry before he was covered in a red aura and brought back to the ground by Rose.

“Honey, you must stay calm. I’m sure he got it! We’ll...just have to be a bit patient.”, Rose said right as the door swung open to reveal a tired and sweaty Paint Smear.

“Sweet Celestia!...So...How’d it go?”, Brick asked as Rose helped him down the steps.

“Well...let’s see how it goes after next Monday! I did it!”, Paint faked out and told them.