• Published 4th Jul 2016
  • 405 Views, 10 Comments

Love (and other things) in Prance - Phoenix Heart 27



What would you do if a simple vacation turned into the adventure of a lifetime?...

  • ...
4
 10
 405

Ch.1:Bienvenue à Paris (Welcome to Paris)

Author's Note:

This is for the traveling music To imagine to!

For when Paint Smear and Roseblossom meet.

The ride on the train was rather long, but not exactly boring for Paint Smear. After all he had his sketchbook and pencils plus an abundance of things to sketch. He also had quite an abundance of ponies to talk to, as it turns out Prance is absolutely amazing in summertime, so that would lead many ponies to travel there for vacation. While on the train though he made the mistake of talking to a rather grumpy old gryphon which earned him a smack on the side from her bit purse. He even made friends with another colt who was to be attending the same college as he come fall. All in all it was a rather interesting train ride and when he got off the train he was greeted to a rather familiar sight of a busy train station. Ponies coming and going this and there, trying to make their destination on time. It was while looking at the commotion that Paint Smear saw a familiar looking mare with a sign that had his name on it. At that, Paint picked up his knapsack and suitcase and trotted towards her.

"Madame Honeydew? What a surprise! I wasn't expecting anypony to come and meet me at the station.”, Paint Smear said rather surprised.

Madame Honeydew laughed at this and spoke kind-heartedly, “Mais bien sûr! jeune poulain, je l'ai vu votre travail et je dois dire que je suis tombé amoureux dès le premier instant! Il semble donc que juste pour moi de faire personnellement votre séjour à Paris est le plus agréable ainsi qu'une une source d'inspiration.”

Paint Smear just smiled wholeheartedly and replied in Equestrian, “Why thank you very much Madame but truthfully, My works are nothing that special. Simply something I know how to do well. They wouldn't even compare to some of the works here in Paris. But I am honoured that such a kind mare like yourself would complement my works as such.”

Madame Honeydew smiled as she lead them to the taxi port and they boarded. As they were riding to the college, Madame Honeydew talked with Paint Smear about some of the classes he’d be eligible to attend with this scolorship and the benefits of taking all sorts of advanced art corses that would be available. Paint listened with as much excitement as a foal who’s just been told he’s just won a lifetime supply of candy. All the while that their talking, Paint Smear is also looking around at the fast-paced flow of east Paris.


1 hour later…

The taxi came to a stop in front of a grand building. Only complimented by the Flags of Prance and Equestria flowing majestically in the slight breeze. The two Earth ponies exited and Paint Smear gathered his belongings as they started to take a small tour around the campus. As they trekked on a big blue blur whizzed past them before crashing into a nearby wall.

“Bon dieu! est-ce que tu vas bien?!”, Madame Honeydew exclaimed in shock.

“Yeah! What she said! You okay dude?”, Paint Smear asked in clear surprise.

The colt in question got up and dusted himself off as he got his bearings.

“Hey! I thought I recognized that crazy silver mane. Hiya bro! And a very good morning to you as well Madame Honeydew!”, the colt replied happily.


“Bonjour, Ocean Storm. How’s your morning been?”, Madame Honeydew laughed.

“Hey Hey! Madame, there's the dude I was telling you about.”, Paint said enthusiastically referring to Ocean Storm.


The aforementioned colt shook his mane and wings as he and his “train bud” parted ways with Madame Honeydew, with Paint Smear promising to come back later on to continue the tour. The two 20 yr olds talked back and forth about anything until they reached the front of the collège.

“Heya Paint, ya know this isn’t my first time in Prance. Perhaps I could show you around the Metropolitan area that is downtown?”, Ocean Storm offered to which Paint happily accepted.


30 minutes later…

The two new friends spent most of the morning touring the metropolitan downtown area, to which had the most amazing shops and boutiques. Ocean Storm even convinced Paint to buy a béret from a local vendor (“Every artist’s must have accessory!”, he convinced him.). Pretty soon they came upon the restaurant district and in amazing timing too because they had started to feel a bit “hungry”...well more like starving!

“Hey Ocean, you wouldn't happen to know where we could grab a bite to eat would you?”, Paint asked as his stomach let out an audible growl.

“Hmmm….*gasp* As a matter of fact I do know a quaint little café that I know you’d just LOVE!”, Ocean Storm exclaimed as he all but dragged his friend towards the theatre district where there lay a nice cozy little café nestled between a book store and a park.


They approached the café as Paint tried to read the title before Ocean rushed him inside. They found a nice table by a front window and sat, but it wasn't long before the two colts were ambushed by a large, heavy-set older pegasus mare who saw Ocean and shouted in glee.

“My goodness! Ocean you’re back! Why didn't you say you were coming home so soon? And who’s your friend?!”, the mare bombarded Ocean Storm with questions and hugs.

“Good to see you too Mère!...please let go before I pass out!”, Ocean Storm wheezed out before his mother released him.


Ocean caught his breath before answering the questions and introducing Paint to his maman and papa. He also explained that this was his family's café.

“So. What is up with that name? ‘Le Café de Chat Brun’?”, Paint asked after a good hearted laugh.

“Oh that’s easy! The name comes from this lovely little lady here.”, Ocean says while picking up a chocolate brown female kitten, “This is Charlotte. She’s mypetite bonbon!”, Ocean replied while petting his kitten.

Paint Smear laughed and joined in petting the kitten right as their waitress came by the table.

“Welcome to ‘Le Café de Chat Brun’. How may I help- Oh mon Dieu! Ocean! When did you get back?!”, the mare started but then was shocked to see Ocean.

Ocean laughed as he hugged her and replied, “Just returned today and I’m not alone, this is mon amie Paint Smear!” he finished while indicating to the other colt next to him.

It was at that moment that the mare looked over at the colt and her eyes grew wide with curiosity, as did his when their eyes met.

B-Bonjour Mademoiselle… Je suisPaint Smear.”, Paint replied shakely.

Je’ mappelle Roseblossom….h-how might I be of service today?”, Roseblossom asked timidly.

The colts gave them their orders and she went to fill them. A few minutes later she returned with their food and looking a lot less red-in-the-face.

After Paint was done with his food and his plate had been taken away, he used that opportunity to attempt to get to know this rather charming waitress while his friend was busy with family. So he rose from his seat and approached the filly, who appeared to be on break.

“S-So...uhh...Roseblossom. Wow...uhhh...okay...you...y-you have a rather beautiful name!”, Paint Smear said rather louder than intended before he instantly shut up as his naturally brown fur turned bright pink in embarrassment.

Roseblossom couldn't help but giggle nervously as Ocean quickly swooped Paint aside to talk.

“Bro. What the hell?! That was you’re best opening line?”, Ocean chuckled.

Paint’s blush only intensified as he replied, “Well...yeah! I mean...I don’t exactly have any experience in this type of stuff.”

Ocean Storm just laughed as he patted his friend’s back, “Dude, just try to act natural. Maybe ask her about herself. Get to know one another! It’s not physics. It’s simply...mutual admiration. Who knows?! Maybe it could lead somewhere else but let’s start with baby steps.”

Paint agreed that this was NOT going to be easy...but he’d at least be willing to try. So he gathered whatever courage he had left and approached her once again.

“Ahhh...pardon that, rather embarrassing statement from before. What I meant to say was: I-I-I think you’re name fits with your n-natural beauty...and...and..I would like to get to know you better. I-If that is alright with you that is!”, Paint Smear mentally slapped himself for that comment, but was surprised to hear an almost melodic laugh emerge from the mare in question.

“I would like that, Paint Smear. Alas, I am rather busy today as I imagine you are as well. So...perhaps we can meet tomorrow in ze park next door?”, Roseblossom suggested.

“Okay. Sounds excellent!”, Paint replied happily as he and Ocean were heading out the door.

“Well alright. See you tomorrow in ze park! Au revoir boys.”, Roseblossom called out to them, “Oh! And Welcome to Prance, Paint Smear!” she finished.