• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 331 Views, 14 Comments

Student of Night - Offnote



The first story in a series of more. Luna gains a "Royal Student", the first in Equestrian history. How will this pan out when she starts changing into Nightmare Moon?

  • ...
2
 14
 331

House-Guest

At the Castle of the two sisters, Princess Celestia was restless. She couldn’t sleep knowing that her sister was confronting such a destructive species of pony, even if it was just one. Celestia knows from experience what the Avaryn are capable of, and how cruel they could be. The uneasy Princess of the Sun was pacing around her and her sister’s throne room, exceedingly worried for her safety.

“It is almost dawn, Luna should have been back hours ago.” Celestia was saying in her mind as she stared at the almost setting moon. “ I knew I should have gone with her, even if I was of no use.” Celestia cursed herself. She was getting more paranoid by the minute. “If she does not return by the time I have to raise the Sun, I’ll gather a search team and fly with them to find her.” Just then, Princess Luna flies onto the balcony over to her eldest sister. “Thank goodness you’re alright little sister!” Celestia said, nuzzling her sister. Celestia noticed something small, wrapped in a cloth on her sister’s back. Celestia couldn’t make out what it was due to its shroud. “Has the Avaryn been dealt with?”

“Sort of…” Luna used her magic then to carefully unveil the cloth on her back, revealing the sleeping Avaryn Colt. Celestia’s eyes widened.

“Why did you bring it here!? Do you have any idea how much danger you’ve put us in!?” Celestia said in a harsh whisper, afraid of waking the Avaryn.

“Dearest sister, he was all alone, drinking polluted water and living in a slum. Of course I had to take him away from there.” Luna glanced at the sleeping Avaryn and then back to her sister. “He is only a Colt. Surely he would be of no threat to us.” Luna whispered back to her older sister.

Celestia still wasn’t convinced. “He may be a little Colt now, but what happens when he get’s older. Think of the destruction he could bring!”

“That is the reason why I brought him here.” Luna was getting more nervous the more she continued. “W-What if, we took him in? I could teach him to use his power for good instead of evil.” Luna said, a bit louder than a whisper.

Celestia still wasn’t convinced. She looked at the small Avaryn. He was malnourished and clearly needed a bath. “What is his name?”

Luna let out a nervous grin. “Hi-His name is Umbra Night.” she said with a shaking voice.

Celestia’s eyes widened. “He’s a NIGHT!?!” Celestia almost yelled, remembering not to wake the small Colt. “That means he’s a Prince Luna. Remember how powerful his mother was, Queen Spectral Night!?”

Luna shuddered, remembering the raw, destructive power the Queen possessed. “Y-Yes, but I feel that I can get him to use his powers for good.” She looked at Celestia pleadingly. “Please sister, I was the only other pony he has seen in almost two years.”

Celestia took one more glance at the sleeping Prince. She then noticed that he was clutching a doll of a dragon, and that the Colt had a peaceful smile while resting on Luna. Celestia released a defeated sigh. “Are you sure you can teach him? You know how powerful their magic can be, especially his.” Celestia said in the same, soothing tone her sister had.

“Yes, and I’m ready to take this challenge and am determined to have him as an ally to the whole of Equestria.” Luna stated with pride and a smile.

There was a long pause while Celestia was pondering her options. “Very well then. However, I need to see first hoof. After getting him settled in I want him to be able to cast a healing spell, or else I’ll have to use the spell I gave you myself.”

Luna’s smile quickly turned and a look of worry appeared on her face. She looked at Umbra who was still sleeping peacefully on her back. “How long will I have to teach him?” She asked, the worry noticeable in her voice.

Celestia glanced at the Prince. “After he is in top health and completely nourished, I’d say a week after.”

Luna looked again at the Prince then back up to her sister with a determined smile. “Very well, we’ll have it done by then, I assure you.”

“Very well then.” Celestia said with a small smile. “I will have a room ready for him by tomorrow.” Celestia looked at the position of the moon and realized it was soon time to raise the Sun. “It’s about time to lower the Moon sister, you should get some rest after.”

Luna gave her sister a grateful smile, then left to her chamber to raise the Moon and get some rest for her and the little prince.


Luna was at her balcony outside of her private chambers. The Moon started lowering from the horizon while Celestia’s Sun was ascending from the East. The magic from Luna’s horn faded and she opened her eyes as she had finished her everyday task. She reentered her room and glanced at the slumbering Colt. She had laid a few blankets and a pillow on the floor next to her bed for the little prince to sleep on.

It was a long night, some sleep sounds pretty good. Luna thought while crawling into her crescent shaped bed. She took one final look at the slumbering foal as she began to fall asleep. Afterall, we’re gonna have to start training soon. So I need to rest up to prepare, and so will little Umbra.


After Umbra was properly tended to and was found healthy, his training officially began. However, due to Luna’s sleep pattern she had to teach the Foal at night. Luna had brought Umbra to the library to start researching healing spells. Thankfully, Umbra was already taught how to read. Afterall, teaching was given early to royalty and nobles. Luna lead Umbra to the isle of books which carried beginner spells and Arcane training books.

Luna carefully scanned the row of books and found a book titled “Fundamentals of the Arcane arts: Novice level”. Luna used her magic to grab the book and placed it on the small table Umbra was sitting at.

“This book should help you learn magic capable at your level.” Luna stated to the young Prince.

The young Avaryn analyzed the large book and let out an annoyed sigh, “But this book is SO huge, how am I gonna learn all this by the end of the week?”

“It’s only one chapter you have to learn,” Luna said trying to reassure the Foal. “We can get it done by then.”

The young Prince still seemed unsure, flipping through the pages of the book with a bored expression.

Luna gave Umbra a small smile, “Tell you what,” she said to the small Foal beside her. “After tonight's lesson we can play outside, how about that?”

The little Prince then let out an excited smile, “Really?” Luna smiled and replied with a nod. The Colt couldn’t help but let out a small cheer. Ever since he came to the Castle he would always look forward to playing outside or a game with his new Mentor.

Luna opened the book to the right page in front of Umbra, “But you have to pay attention.”

“Yep.” Umbra said, pulling his chair closer to the desk.

Luna gave a heartwarming smile to her young pupil then started her lesson.
“Chapter Three: Healing Magic…”


In the upcoming days, Luna continued teaching Umbra how to cast Healing magic and would then play before they each had to retire in the morning. However, Umbra was having trouble casting even minor healing spells. He would either burn or kill the dying Flowers that they were testing their spells on. There playtime would be cut shorter and shorter to have time towards his lessons. However, they were running out of time. It was two days before his test and nothing seemed to be working.

“Okay, try it now.” Luna said after placing a dying Tulip In front of Umbra.

This was their fifth attempt that night. Umbra aimed at the flower with his pointed horn. He then closed his eyes for concentration causing his horn to emanate with a black light. Then with a burst of light, the horn shot a bolt at the flower.

Umbra and Luna looked with anticipation to see if the prince was successful. However, the flower simply turned to ash.

“Oh well.” Luna said with a sigh while cleaning up the ash and flower pot. She was beginning to doubt if his powers could really be used for good. She looked out of a window and saw how close it was to the sunrise.

‘Wait, these spells were meant to be casted by Unicorns and Alicorns, and Umbra is technically not a pony…’ Luna thought. Her Eyes widened as she came to a realization.

Umbra’s eyes were drooping and he was getting tired. He let out a yawn.

“I’m sorry we couldn’t play tonight little one.” Luna said looking at the young Avaryn. “But I’ll be sure to make up for it tomorrow.” She said with a small smile.

Umbra let out a small sigh, “Okay.”

“It’s almost dawn, you should get some rest. I’m going to stay down here a while longer.” Luna said.

“Okay.” Umbra then walked to Luna and lovingly nuzzled her left foreleg. “Goodnight.”

Luna’s eyes widened at this loving sign of affection. She then smiled and nuzzled the Colt.

“Goodnight little one.”

Umbra then made his way to his chambers to sleep until his lessons the next evening.

After he was gone Luna walked to a bookshelf reserved for Her and Celestia. After around ten minutes she found the book she was looking for. With a blue aura from her horn she grabbed the book and blew the dust shrouding the cover.

The book read, “The book of the Avaryn.”