• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 329 Views, 0 Comments

The Solution - P-Jay



A forgotten legend, detailing how the Tribes rose to be the dominant species.

  • ...
 0
 329

Chapter 1

Abel yelped, hitting the ground with a thud, having been thrown by the larger pony. Groaning, he held his sore ribs, before accepting the hoof being offered to help him up.

"Would it kill you if you went easy on me?" He asked irritably, glancing in his instructor's direction.

He shook his head. "It very well might kill you, if I don't push you hard enough. The world is dangerous, Abel. Full of creatures who prefer not to take it easy."

Abel groaned, again. He had heard this speech a dozen times before, and even understood fully why it made sense. "I know, I know..."

"Us Earth Ponies have no natural defenses against enemies. We can't fly to safety, nor magic our way out of a situation." The larger pony went on regardless, starting to walk around Abel in a slow circle, "the only thing we have at our disposal, is our strength, our connection with the Earth, and our capacity to use those talents."

"Which is why we have to train--"

"Which is why we have to train, Abel."

He mumbled something along the lines of 'understood', before looking around the two. The large, circular sand dune surrounded the two, stretching for ten feet in every direction. A little to the north, a village was seen in the distance, small figures working to erect a third wooden fence around the perimeter would be seen.

Abel sighed.

For as long as he could remember, Earth Ponies were always the most vulnerable of the three Tribes. Monsters generally preferred to prey on them, regardless of the fact they were likely to have a tooth knocked out in the process. Better then getting an eye sliced by a wing, or a hole burned into their fur from a nasty spell. Which in turn meant that they had to train the hardest, and send a message to their predators that they weren't for eating. Which didn't always work, but then again, that's all they got.

"Alright, concentrate, we're going to try that foresight technique one more. Then we'll be done."

Abel sighed, and closed his eyes. He pressed his forehooves in on the ground, casting his will, his 'Earth Pony Magic', into the depths of the ground, to act as an 'antenna' of sorts...Feeling around, for movements in the area around his own.

This technique, pioneered by Brugulf, the first unofficial leader of their Tribe, was created for awareness purposes. Once you extend your will into the Earth, it split the same way a tree's roots did. And the Earth's will, in return, multiplied it's sensitivity, letting you feel through the area in a 360 degree angle. As long as the creature you were feeling for was close enough, and traveled on land...You'd feel it running. Or approaching. Some of the Earth Ponies used it for hunting. Others use it for fighting predators in the dark. Whatever way you used it...It was effective. Almost everyone, after enough training, can do it with their eyes open. A few of the gifted users could see for entire miles...Brugulf did it passively.

If only he was good at it, too.

But that was beside the point. He was training to get better at utilizing it, and was actually making progress. His 'roots' spread around a meter into the ground, which let him see around five meters around himself. But it was sketchy--images he 'saw' flickered in and out. Like a distorted world, that seemed unstable. He could see his trainer creeping around him...With silent hoofsteps, forcing him to use Foresight...His form, flickering, glitching in and out of sight. Before a particularly long pause in his sight set Abel on edge--seeing a form coming in from his right, a half-second spent registering that fact, his legs bracing to dodge before being bowled over.

He sprawled on the ground, the air being knocked from him. He coughed, gasping for air. "That could've gone better..."

"Could've gone a lot worse, too." The pony replied, offering a hoof.

Abel took it gratefully, "we getting a bite to eat after this? Training is so...Exhausting."

The pony nodded. "Come on, Abel...We'll get you some mangoes."

Abel breathed a sigh of relief, beginning to walk after the larger, retreating pony. "Thanks, dad."

~~~

Once they reached the town, they were greeted by the guard outside the wooden gates, who was fully armored with well-forged steel armor, although to Equestria's present standards, it would be poor in comparison. A spear rested against his shoulder. He nodded at the two, opening the gate, letting the two in. "I presume you had a good session?" He asked with a deep voice, though friendly.

"Abel's been showing a lot of progress. Although, his strongest trait is swordplay, compared to the other attributes..."

Abel smiled sheepishly, shying away from being praised by his father, in front of a stranger. But even he couldn't deny his uncanny talent with a sword. Opposed to his strength, hunting skills, and Foresight, his swordplay outclassed all by leaps and bounds. He could only shrug, and nod in agreement.

"Really, now? Swordplay?" The guard asked, raising an eyebrow. "Haven't had a swordspony since Farrier's colt. Who...Went with him, when he left in search of better ore. A fool, really..."

"Ah, don't be so quick to dismiss one of our own. Who knows, Farrier might be alive yet. And I have no doubts his colt has grown into a formidable swordspony in his own regard." His father replied, with a gentle wave of his hoof.

Abel kept quiet. Farrier was a sore topic, for a lot of ponies, in here. Their blacksmith, before he suddenly decided on leaving. Raving about some kind of legendary ore in the mountains, he left, his son following close behind...Who wasn't really his son by blood, or so Abel had heard, but an adoptive relationship. The fact that their blacksmith left, leaving them with the armor and weapons he had crafted in his past.

Which amounted to roughly twelve sets of armor, a hammer he dubbed Weather, and a few shields with interesting design...Not a lot, for an entire Tribe to thrive off. But at least he didn't leave nothing, the equipment he left behind allowed the Tribe to form their own crude guard. Which were their main defense against creatures that would prey on them...

The leader of this group--his father--used Weather, seeing as his skill with the weapon was the best in the Tribe. Monsters had learned to back off, once his father readied the war-hammer...More then once, he's smashed the skull of a creature that lunged at him. He was admired...And ponies expected his son to inherit his gear, one day. Of course, this was set to happen in the distant future...But Abel wasn't so sure he would inherit Weather. Giant hammers weren't his forte. Too many things could go wrong...A simple dodge leaves you wide open. You have to make that one shot count--or risk getting done in, by a pair of teeth lunging for your neck.

But it hardly mattered. He was going to use swords, anyways--its just what felt right.

He dragged his mind back to reality, where his dad and the guard were still talking. They looked...Still friendly, to Abel's relief. Finishing with their agreement, that Farrier at least managed to set up a working space in the mountains, somewhere. Abel frowned, wondering if there had been anybody that ventured to the distant mountain, curious if Farrier was alive and well. He vaguely wondered if his father would authorize such a mission...After all, the mountains were chock-full of creatures just as dangerous as dragons.

"Where you headin', now?" The guard went on.

"To the local tavern. Gonna grab a mead to drink--and a few mango for the colt."

"I'm fifteen..." Abel mumbled, with a distantly annoyed expression.

"Right. A colt." His father grinned, before beginning to lead him once more. The guard waved cheerfully, as the two left, closing the gates once more, to resume his watch for creatures...

Abel grumbled something about turning sixteen next month. His father merely rustled his mane, in response.

"C'mon, smile a bit. You wont get this moment back."

"I wont miss it..." Abel muttered back, concealing a small smirk. "Especially if it's spent in embarrassment."

"Ah, but that's the beauty of life, lad! You have your moments, regardless if it's in glory or not!" His father exclaimed, pushing into the tavern--which was basically the only place in the Tribe one could get their refreshments and food.

"...Yeah, guess you're right." He murmured, walking in after his father, being greeted by a cheer on the inside. Ponies of varying sizes, some his age, some ancient, but all friendly. All raising whatever drink their hoof was clasped upon...And all wearing a wide, goofy smile.

Abel smiled in return. Their Tribe might be vulnerable to the natural predators...But the welcoming nature of the Tribe more then made up for it. He felt as if it were one giant family, to eat, drink, and fight together...

Author's Note:

this goes on my headcanon: Foresight (when you exert your will into the earth) is what Pinkie Sense is.

except Pinkie is exceptionally good at it. like...she's somehow figured out how to extend her will all around her. because Pinkie. XD

anyways, intro'ing Abel, one of the three who will wield one of the blades of legend. this chapter is less relevant setting up plot, and more explaining how things worked in the three Tribes. telling you the exact problem, ect. the next two will be for the Pegasus and Unicorn tribes.

but for now, hey, chapter for Abel!