• Published 9th Jun 2016
  • 967 Views, 7 Comments

The Four Alicorns - KidatHeart5



An AU based on “The Four Dragons”. When Discord breaks free from his stone prison, he traps four of the alicorn princesses in crystal, but Flurry Heart manages to escape. When she grows up, she goes to Discord's castle to right the heinous wrong.

  • ...
3
 7
 967

Helping a Friend Out

To prevent the wind from blowing through the high tower, Shining Armor had glass windows installed between every pillar. After a bed and some necessities were brought up to the tower room, Sombra stayed there for nearly a year, never once climbing down the stairs connecting the tower to the lower levels of the castle. Sometimes, he let his fear get the better of him and accidentally created dark crystals as a result. Hope visited him whenever she could and told him to calm down. Flurry Heart visited him as well since she lived in the castle. Her heart broke when she heard him crying at times before she entered his chamber.

She and her father exhausted every book and scroll for an answer to their problem, but sadly found none. This tired Shining Armor more and more when they searched. Flurry Heart couldn’t take seeing her father so weary, but what else could they do? She hated the thought of poring over more books, so she thought that if the answer didn’t lie in books, then what? Hope couldn’t keep healing Sombra again and again, and the next time his body would break apart, the Crystal Heart would be too strong for her. Flurry considered hiding the Heart, but she figured it wouldn’t do any good for the subjects. Plus, Emperor Discord would be suspicious.

Then, the thought struck her. Discord wouldn’t want to help Sombra, but maybe his wife might. Teardrop was decidedly more beloved by the ponies than her husband was. Flurry didn’t want to attract his attention, but if she enlisted Teardrop’s help, maybe she could slip under Discord’s nose again. She knew it was risky, but she had to do it. She had never written a letter to royalty before, but she had to at least try. So hence, Flurry Heart wrote:

Dear Empress Teardrop,

My friends and I really need your help. There’s a pony who’s really an Umbrum, but a good one. He’s up in a tower because he doesn’t want to hurt anypony. Every year since he came to the Crystal Empire, the Crystal Heart gives him aches and pains that hurt him very much. The next time the Crystal Heart will activate during the Crystal Faire, my friend might not survive. I know the Umbrum are supposed to be dangerous, but trust me. He doesn’t want to do us any harm.

Can you please help us? It can be in any way you can. If you can’t, I understand. I await your response, Empress.

Sincerely, Flurry Heart

She knew that Teardrop might not be able to help, but at least Flurry tried to help Sombra by writing to her. She tried not to get her hopes up when she sent the letter. She told her father about it, but he warned her that she might not like the answer given to her. But a few days later, a surprising letter came.

Flurry Heart shouted as she ran to her father in his bedroom, “Dad! Dad! Look what came! Look what came!”

Shining Armor used his magic to take the letter and read it. His eyes widened when he read what was written.

Dear Flurry Heart,

I’d be happy to help you. It took some convincing for my husband, but he’s agreed to accompany me to the Crystal Faire. I’m sorry if it’s on the day that’s dreaded for your friend, but Discord wouldn’t go to the Empire any other day. With that said, I have a plan. While Discord’s enjoying the festivities with some of our children, the rest of the kids and I will meet up with you and help your friend. As a way to recognize you, say to me “Which way to the Frozen North?”. I hope to meet you at the Crystal Faire.

Sincerely, Teardrop

Shining Armor smiled as he hugged his daughter, “Oh, Flurry, this is so wonderful! She’s answered your letter! And now she’s coming here…” His face then fell, “…with Discord. Flurry, he can’t see you! I can’t risk you being out in public!”

Flurry Heart reassured him, “Dad, Dad, it’s okay. Discord likes to have the Faire as chaotic as he is, right?”

Shining Armor nodded in confusion, “Yes.”

“There have been clowns in the past, right?”

“Flurry, there have always been clowns at the Faire every year regardless of Discord’s visit.”

“Don’t you see? I could dress up as a clown and be a part of the act.”

His eyes widened in realization. He then said, “Flurry Heart, that’s genius! Discord will see you, but you’ll be hiding…”

Father and daughter said together, “…in plain sight!”


It took some practice with the hired clown act, but Flurry Heart - in disguise as Whipped Cream – got the hang of it. She actually enjoyed doing the act because it was the first time she had fun outside in years. Since she was a newbie, she didn’t have to practice the professional moves. As the day of the Crystal Faire creeped nearer and nearer, Flurry Heart was nervous about two things: Teardrop’s arrival…and Discord’s.

Finally, the celebration arrived. Shining Armor gave everypony the heads up that Discord was coming here once again. Thus, the Faire was wackier than usual. But as usual, Sombra lied sick in bed, writhing in pain. Hope was up in the tower with him as she tried to relieve his suffering. They, Flurry, and Shining Armor knew that they didn’t have much time. Their only hope rested on Teardrop and her children. But when would they get here?

As the hours ticked by, Flurry Heart was getting so worried that she could barely concentrate on the clown act. Whenever she stole glances at the crowds, she couldn’t see the emperor or his family anywhere. Although she was nervous about them getting here, she was also frightened by the thought of seeing Discord for the first time. Suddenly, she heard murmurs and gasps. When she saw ponies on the street either stepping aside or bowing, she knew who was here.

A voice gleefully called out, “Hello! Hello, all! It’s me, your lovable, all-around fun emperor, Discord!” He then gave a cheerful laugh.

Flurry Heart turned to face the robed draconequus and the ponies flanking him. There he was, her mother’s captor. She felt a small flame of anger and hate ignite within her. After what he had done to her mother, she had every right to feel this way. But as her father had taught her and himself, one should never give in to hatred. Besides, she had to hope that he wouldn’t recognize her.

Discord continued as he inspected the Faire, “Mmm…Nice. Not too shabby. Eh, could work on that a little. Nice job you’ve done here! I’m quite pleased.”

When he came up to the clown act, Flurry Heart had to keep absolutely calm. As he looked at the clowns, she said, “I hope it’s to your liking, Dis- I mean, Your Majesty.”

He looked at her and put her face between his fingers. “My, my. Aren’t you the crowd-pleaser?” He then chuckled, “Or should I say ‘emperor-pleaser’?” Once he released her, he said, “Very well, then. Perhaps you would like to put on your act for us.” He conjured up seats for him, his wife, and their six children.

The clowns glared at Flurry as if saying, Way to go. Now we have to do our act for him first.

Despite this, though, the show went on as planned. Flurry Heart managed to concentrate and execute her moves perfectly. When the act was over, the emperor and his wife clapped while their kids and the rest of the ponies cheered. The six children of Discord and Teardrop were Screwball, Mischief, Rhythm, Beat, and the twins Flair and Kickbox.

Screwball was created by Discord long before he ever met Teardrop. Screwy was his personal playmate whenever he wreaked chaos. When father and daughter were reunited, Teardrop adopted her as her daughter since Screwball had no mother to begin with. Like her dad, Screwy didn’t age regularly and seemed to stay the same age for a long time. Right now, she was about 10.

Mischief was Discord and Teardrop’s first child together. He had a deep reddish brown coat that was similar to his mother’s coat and his mane was light brilliant azure with white streaks. He had two deer antlers and a light brilliant cerulean spot that was over his mouth. He had deep chartreuse green eyes and his magic aura was strong malachite green whenever he used his antlers for magic. He called himself a bicorn because of this. He was about Flurry Heart’s age.

Rhythm was the third child of the family. She was a Pegasus with a grayish blue violet coat and pointed wings that were similar to a butterfly’s. She had light violet eyes and a straight gray mane with white streaks. She also had a rounded muzzle. She looked to be few years younger than her older brother.

Beat was the middle son of the children. He had a curved muzzle and very light harlequin zebra stripes all over his gray body. He had a moderate raspberry mane in a dreadlock-like manestyle. He had moderate green eyes, which were somewhat different from his older brother’s. He seemed to be a couple of years younger than Rhythm.

Flair and Kickbox were twins who were very different for two reasons: they were alicorns and Discord gave birth to them. His pregnancy was very mysterious, so ponies left it alone at that. Discord and Teardrop regarded both twins as alicorns, even though Kickbox had bat wings. The youngest son also had his dad’s snaggletooth, his mad left eye, and dark circles around both eyes. Kickbox also had a light sea green mane with pale, light grayish sea green streaks. His coat was light purple and his eyes were brilliant aquamarine.

Flair, the older of the twins, looked as much like an alicorn as anypony would expect. She had a light green coat and a pale, light grayish magenta mane with brilliant azure streaks. She had pale, light grayish orchid eyes and light brilliant cerulean holey splotches on her flank. The twins were born just a couple of years back and Discord proudly announced them as the first alicorns born in Equestria. Flurry Heart knew it wasn’t true since she was the first, but kept silent about it since the twins’ birth.

As soon as the show was over, Teardrop told Discord, “Honey, why don’t I take Mischief, Beat, and Screwball while you take the rest of the kids?”

Discord said, “Splitting up into groups before seeing the Crystal Heart show? Sure, why not? After all, we’ll see more sights this way.”

Flurry Heart couldn’t explain it, but she thought she saw a bit of her father in Discord’s expression. For a moment, he seemed so…loving.

The emperor turned to the still crowds of ponies and said, “Well, what are you waiting for? Carry on, carry on! I’m not stopping you!”

After Discord took the kids with him, Mischief asked Teardrop, “So, Mom, what are we gonna do first?”

Beat jumped around ecstatically, “The merry-go-round? The crystal pie eating contest? Ooh! How about the jousting tormement?”

Teardrop smiled, “They all sound like fun, Beat, but I have something different in mind.”

Screwball asked, “Like what?”

“Well, it’s a surprise to me as it is to you. First, we have to find a pony named Flurry Heart.”

A voice then asked, “Excuse me. Which way to the Frozen North?”

Teardrop turned to face a young clown. Flurry Heart had blended into the crowd after the show was over. The alicorn bent down and asked playfully, “Flurry Heart, I presume?”

Flurry answered, “That’s me, all right.”

Beat asked, “Is this like a spy thing, Mom? I’m all for it.”

His mother answered, “Well, kind of.” She whispered to her kids to make it seem all the more mysterious, “You see, there is a pony who’s not really a pony at all. His kind is very dangerous, but he’s really very nice. He wants to be a pony, so we have to go to his tower and transform him into a dashing stallion.”

The three kids just stared at her until Screwball asked, “Is this a lot like Pinocchioat?”

Mischief said, “It’s another one of Mom’s good deeds. I should’ve known.”

Flurry Heart shot off, “Hey! My friend is dying and I’m trying to save him! Now, if you don’t want to come along, that’s fine by me!” She then gestured to Teardrop, “But she has a way to save him. I needed her help and she came. I don’t want to lose a friend.” She sighed sadly, “I’m already close to losing my father.”

Teardrop and the kids took pity on her. None of the children wanted to lose their dad. He was so much fun to be around and he loved all of his kids. If they were to lose him too soon…they wouldn’t know what they’d do without him.

The empress put a hoof on Flurry’s shoulder and said, “You have our deepest sympathy. You may not be able to prevent your dad’s passing, but we can help you prevent your friend’s.” She turned to her kids and said, “Isn’t that right, kids?”

Mischief said, “We’re with you all the way.”

Beat smiled, “Yep!”

Screwball said, “You can count on us.”

Teardrop hugged her kids, “I knew I could rely on you. Thank you.” She turned to Flurry Heart and asked, “So, which way is this tower?”

Flurry pointed her hoof towards the castle and said, “Over there. The highest one.”

Teardrop and the kids all looked towards the castle and gaped at the high tower standing from the middle of the castle.

Mischief remarked, “That…is a high tower.”


Once Flurry Heart explained that Shining Armor wanted to help Sombra, Teardrop gave the prince a spell to use on the Crystal Heart just as it would be activating. Teardrop and the kids soon entered the castle and began their long descent up the stairs. Since Flurry Heart couldn’t expose her wings, she rode on Teardrop’s back as the empress flew upwards. Teardrop’s kids had chaotic powers, so they floated up with their mother.

Beat grumbled, “We’re going to miss the Crystal Heart show at this point.”

Teardrop said, “The lights from the Heart go up through this tower and into the air, so we might get a light show from where we are.”

“You said ‘might’. I’m not convinced.”

When they reached Sombra’s chamber, the ailing unicorn was in bad condition. Flurry Heart gasped as she jumped onto the floor and raced towards him, “Sombra!” She asked Hope, “Is he all right?”

The Crystal unicorn said, “I hope so.” She looked up to see Teardrop and gasped. She said as she bowed before the empress, “Your Highness!” She lifted her head up as she explained, “Flurry told us she was getting help, but I never thought it’d be you!”

Screwball said, “Hey! What about us?”

Hope smiled, “It is such a pleasure to meet you all. I wish circumstances could’ve been better, though.”

Beat started to ask, “Mom, what are-?”

He was interrupted by the sound of loud cheering. Teardrop said urgently, “We’ll discuss it later. Right now, we have to make Sombra well.”

Beat fussed, “But Mom, what about the Crystal Heart?”

“We can see the Crystal Heart next year. But right now, we have to save Sombra. Understand?”

Beat mumbled, “I understand.”

“Good.” She then told her three children, “I need all of you to use your magic on Sombra and say ‘Sombra’s a pony’. Don’t stop whatever you do.”

Suddenly, Sombra began turning into smoke. He rasped, “Help…Save me…”

Hope cried, “Sombra!” She lit up her horn and enveloped him in a blue sphere of magic.

Flurry Heart lit up her horn as she said, “We got you!”

A green aura enveloped Teardrop’s horn as she said, “We all got you.”

Mischief said to his siblings, “I think this is our cue.”

Mischief’s antlers emitted a green aura, Screwball’s propeller hat spun while she concentrated, and Beat spun his tail in the air. Meanwhile, at the dais, everypony was bowing and lighting up the streets. Once the light was absorbed into the Heart, the ancient relic began to spin. Shining Armor took this chance and fired at the Heart. The Heart glowed violet for a moment before shooting multi-colored rays of magic upwards. Suddenly, in the tower room, the rays of magic shot through the sphere containing Sombra and a white flash soon followed.

When everypony in the room opened their eyes, Beat disclaimed, “I didn’t do it!” During the process, Beat had let the Crystal Heart show slip into his mind right before the multi-colored rays shot through the room.

The ponies heard a groan and to their delight, Sombra was sprawled on the floor. He was still alive and back to his unicorn self!
Hope hugged him as she cried, “Sombra! You’re all right! You’re all right!”

Flurry hugged him as well when Sombra smiled, “And I couldn’t have been without you two.” He looked up to Teardrop and continued, “Or you, Your Highness.”

Teardrop grinned, “Well, I couldn’t have done it without the help of my children.”

Screwball said to her mother, “And we have just one thing to say about all this.”

Mischief said, “It.”

Beat said, “Was.”

Both colts and their sister shouted as they jumped in the air, “Awesome!”

Mischief jabbered excitedly, “The thing with the lights was so cool!”

Beat agreed, “Yeah! And they went like whoosh through Sombra!”

Screwball smiled, “Best light show ever!”

Teardrop said, “See? Told you we’d get a light show here.”

Mischief chastised playfully, “Uh, uh, uh. You said we might get a light show. Might.”

“You got me.” She touched his muzzle as she said, “After all, you’re your father’s son.”

Screwball asked, “Can we stay up here and enjoy the view a bit?”

Sombra smiled, “Certainly. In fact, I’ll join you. For the first time since I came up here, I can look at the view with wonder in my heart.”

Flurry, Hope, and Teardrop joined the group and looked out the glass windows. Teardrop said as she gazed at all the glass windows, “I got to admit, Sombra. You have quite a panoramic view from up here.”

Sombra said, “Thank you, Empress. But I don’t intend to stay up here forever. Maybe other ponies will get the chance to view the Empire and the horizon from this room.”

Screwball said, “Yeah. The only other way to get a view like this is if you can fly.”

Flurry Heart turned away from them to smile nervously.

Beat said as he pointed to something, “Hey, look! It’s Dad! And Flair! And Kickbox! And Rhythm!”

As Screwball and Beat were waving ‘hi’ to their family members for the fun of it, Mischief turned to Flurry and said, “Thanks for asking Mom for help, Flurry.”

Flurry asked, “Why?”

“If it hadn’t been for you, we wouldn’t have had this amazing experience.”

“Well, I’m just as glad that your mom agreed to help us. I don’t know what we would’ve done without Sombra.”

Mischief asked in concern, “But…what about your dad? You said that you were close to losing him.”

Flurry Heart’s head hung in sadness. She sighed painfully, “I’d rather not think about that day…but I know I have to be prepared for it.” She looked back up at him with teary eyes. She said in a choked-up voice, “I just hope you don’t lose yours so soon.”

“Even if he is the emperor?”

“Yes. Even if he is the emperor.”

Teardrop and the rest of the kids were surprised to hear such kind words about Discord. The empress knew that if Discord was here to hear Flurry say those words, his heart would melt. True, living with the spirit of chaos wasn’t easy, but as soon as they married, they found that they shared something in common: playfulness. They bonded from that one quality and soon afterwards created five children together. When Discord became a father, Teardrop saw a sensitive and loving side to him. She admired that about him and fell more deeply in love with him, even though her logical side resisted the pull.

She imagined Flurry Heart being given the same affection by her father as Discord gave his children. But now she was worried about what would happen to Flurry Heart when her father was gone. If her own children wouldn’t bear to have their dad taken from them, what about Flurry Heart?

About a year after Sombra was transformed into a full-fledged unicorn, he and Radiant Hope got married. Flurry Heart had to assume another identity just to be the flower girl while Shining Armor officiated the happy ceremony.

Sadly, a couple of years later, on the Diamond Jubilee of Discord’s reign, Shining Armor died of grief from remembering the horrible day he lost his beloved wife. Just before he passed away, he hoof-chose Sombra and Hope to be his successors. The newly-coronated couple gave the Crystal ponies and Flurry Heart time to mourn their loss before taking on royal business. They knew Shining Armor’s daughter had suffered worst of all because not only had she lost her mother when she was just born, but now she had just lost her father, her only family member left in Equestria.