• Published 8th Jun 2016
  • 822 Views, 27 Comments

Pacific Glow's Gaze - Scribblesheet The Scribe



OC X Pacific Glow. Glow or Glowy to her friends spends her nights in the clubs and her days recovering. Lemon Tart is a perpetually grumpy stalion with little interest in others. What could possibly go wrong when an Introvert meets an Extrovert?

  • ...
4
 27
 822

What Friends Are For

Do to the urgency of their situation Azure had nagged the poor cabbie unfortunate enough to be their driver into a gallop. Lemon hadn't stopped her but he did have the decency to at least give him a larger tip than usual upon their arrival at the hospital. Once he'd paid Lemon followed on Azures figurative coat tails to the front desk. By the time he caught up to the crazy galloping mare he was a bit winded from the speedy jog. With both hooves placed on the front desk Azure began dinging the table bell to get somepony's attention. When a rather peeved looking receptionist appeared she vocally attacked her.

"What room is Pacific Glow in?"

"Miss Glow is in room 236 now please cease your-"

"Thanks!"

Lemon who had just caught his breath looked in the direction Azure had run and followed at a brisk trot throwing an apologetic glance the receptionists way. The mare simply rolled her eyes and made a shooing gesture with her hoof. When he arrived at the door to Glowys room he braced himself against the door frame before stepping in and falling on his haunches.

"I-hate-run-ning!" He finally breathed out before looking up.

Glowy who was sitting back in her bed glanced their way and gave a week sad smile upon seeing them.

"Hey Azure, Hey Lemon."

"Don't play innocent with me Glowy! I was scared to death when I heard you were here! What were you thinking?"

"Azure I'm sorry please don't yell at me..."

"You know damn well what I think happened and I'm right aren't I?"

"Azure please-"

"No! You said you were going to quit! You said you'd be done and now here you are in a hospital bed because you didn't listen to me!"

"Azure please stop I'm sorry I know I should have listened but-"

"No excuses damn it! You are going to listen to me right-"

"Azure shut the buck up! Barked Lemon from his corner much to both mares surprise.

"Now is not the time! She's sick, she's stressed and your making it worse! Look at her!" He gestured with his right hoof in the bed ridden mares direction.

Azure took a moment to look at her pink friend and saw her sobbing into her forehooves loudly and sloppily. She had a runny muzzle and couldn't stop heaving. Azures ears fell to the side of her head instantly.

"I'm sorry Glowy! I was just so worried when I got the call! I had all these idea's of what could have gone wrong and I just..."

"Azure sit down. Glowy take some deep breaths do as I do."

Lemon made his way to the side of her bed and began to demonstrate the breathing he wanted her to emulate. After a few moments Glowy was able to do the same and gradually her breathing steadied.

"Better?'

She sniffled. "Yes."

"Good now what happened? Start at the beginning and take it slow."

Lemon pointed to a set of cushions on the other side of the room and Azure took the hint. The two of them sat down as Pacific got her nerves back together.

"My mom was being...her again. I don't know why but it got to me more than usual and so I took some pills. When I got to the club I was going to that night the music was very energetic so I started to dance and I lost track of how long it had been since I drank so..."

"You got so dehydrated from the drugs you passed out." Finished Azure.

"Ya..."

Azure seemed to understand but Lemon wore a look of confusion.

"What did your mother do that upset you so much?"

The pink mare sniffled again before speaking.

"My mother hates me. She always has and she always will. When I woke up I was heading to the dinning room for some food but my mother was in there so she just had one of the butlers give me some extra Bits and as good as shoved me out the door."

Her fortitude was beginning to break again and she heaved a few dry sobs.

"when I was a filly she never hugged me or tucked me into bed. I never had a bed time story or a kiss goodnight. We never ate together and if I had a nightmare she just sent a servant and a sleeping pill."

She glanced over to Azure and Lemon out of the corner of her eyes.

"I just wanted her to say just once that she loved me but she never did. In fact I'm lucky if she talks to me once a week for more than five minutes. I'm just so sick of hurting! It's not fair! It's not right! I spent years trying to please her and impress her! She didn't care she never even bothered to punish me when I acted out because I wasn't worth the time to take care of and teach! My whole life I've just wanted her to say something anything that I could take as a sign I was more to her than genes but it never happened!"

At this stage she was close to breaking down again.

"Whenever I asked who my father was she just sent me away. Whenever I asked her to spend time with me as a filly she sent me away. For years I told myself she loved me and that's why she kept me around rather than dump me in a foster home but...One day I dug around in some of her files and I found my birth certificate. She had crossed out my fathers name with black ink. The paper was in her hoof writing but my first name was in somepony else's. After a little more digging I found out the nurse on duty was who gave me my name because my own mother couldn't be bothered with writing an extra word. The other files I found regarded the social shame that came from getting pregnant after a one night stand and I realized she kept me to save her own image. After that I gave up trying to make her love me. I knew it was hopeless because I was the daughter that never should have been born."

Glowy went back to quietly crying while Azure looked at the floor with mournful eyes. to her side she could see Lemon had gotten up and gone over to her. He was sitting by her side and pulling some tissues from a box on the bedside table. Glowy took them with a limp hoof and blew her muzzle like a kazoo.

"Azure why don't you go home and get some rest. I'll call my job and tell them I'm going home sick. I'll stay here with Glow."

"I can stay too."

"I know but I need to talk with Glowy about some things I'm not comfortable discussing with you around so please for my sake go home and sleep."

Azure was about to protest but Pacific spoke up.

"It's fine Azure, I'll be ok if you go home."

Sighing in defeat Azure walked over and Gave the pink mare a tight hug before leaving the room. Lemon pulled over a cushion from beside the wall and sat down next to the hospital bed before taking a deep breath and speaking.

"Did I ever tell you about how my dad died?"

"No."

"He was a member of the royal guard. He was a Corporal. He didn't die on the job or anything he was just walking home from the bakery when a brick fell from a construction site and hit his head. Simple and random as that, It could have happened to anypony but it happened to him. When the medics got there he was already gone. The brick had killed him the second it hit."

"That's terrible I'm sorry Lemon."

"Thanks but I'm not telling you this for my benefit." After a pause he continued. "I was just a colt so when my dad died I didn't know how to cope. I stopped eating, I stopped leaving my room and I let myself wallow in pictures of us and the things he'd left behind. My room looked like a dump yard and I stopped doing just about any kind of grooming. It was the lowest point of my life...But guess what?"

"What?"

"Things got better, slowly but things did get better, because I let the ponys who cared about me help. Pain from things like this never go away Glowy but if we let the ponys we care about in they can help share the burden. You don't have to carry it all by yourself when you have others who are more than happy to help you."

Glowy looked down at her bed sheets which Lemon took as a sign to continue.

"Azure loves you like a sister, she was worried sick about you. She wants to help and she can if you just let her in. I can too if you want."

The pink pony sniffled again and took a deep breath before facing the orange manned earth pony.

"Do things really ever get better?"

"Never perfect but ya they get better. Take it from somepony who's been there before."

There was a long pause as Pacific sat and thought over what Lemon had said. The stallion simply sat quietly letting her take it in and think about what he said. After a few moments Glowy whipped her muzzle before turning back to him and giving her answer.

"Ok...I'll try."

"Good, now give me your bag."

"What?"

"Just do it Glowy please."

She did as he asked and in a matter of seconds he had pulled a small bottle from it and turned towards the bathroom.

"Hey what are you-"

Lemon wasted no time in tipping the contents into the toilet and flushing the pills away.

"Hey!"

"Drugs are not the answer to your problems and I don't want to see you in here again!" He kept his voice quiet but stern as were his eyes.

"No more Joy, No more hiding your problems. You are going to sit back in bed and I'm going to get the nurse to bring you some water and a bowl of vegetable soup. Then after you eat your going to get some sleep and I'm going to sit right here so you wont be alone...Ok?" His gaze softened a bit but remained determined. There was no hint of doubt in his eyes, he was not going to take no for an answer.

"I...Ok."

Lemon Tart made his way over to the door and poked his head out. Once he'd asked for what he promised he returned to his post at the pillow beside Glowy's bed. The mare layed back on the mattress before speaking again.

"You know for being new to friendship you're pretty good at it."

"I have a good teacher." He said smiling at her.

/l\---)O(---/l\

"Miss Glow we have news for you."

"What is it Taffington?" Replied Scenic without so much as a glance from her papers.

"We have received word that Pacifica is in the hospital. She-"

"Very well thank you for bringing this to my attention you may go now."

"Miss Glow Pacifica could use your-"

"You are dismissed Taffington! Leave the papers detailing the matter on my desk and depart before you further over step your bounds!"

"Yes miss Glow my humble apologies."

She looked up from her papers long enough to make eye contact with the stallion.

"Remember your place in my household. You are a servant and how I choose to take care of my offspring is not your concern."

"Yes miss Glow of course." He was having trouble with his teeth grinding.

He made his move to depart but stopped when he heard his employer clear her throat.

"I said leave her hospital papers here."

Taffington made a hard swallow as he looked at the papers in his grasp.

Patient Pacific Glow has tested positive for the substance MDMJ more commonly known as Joy. We believe this to be the cause of her Dehydration and loss of consciousness.

He swallowed again as he looked at the bill. 2859 Bits.

"The papers now Taffington." Her tone was final.

Reluctantly the elderly stallion placed the papers in front of his employer. Adjusting her reading glasses She scanned the document briefly before folding it twice and sitting it on the side of her desk.

"Bring me the papers detailing Pacifica's Inheritance."

"Ma'am?"

"Do it now or you are relieved of your position! I can ruin your resume and see you never work again in five minutes time if I want to!"

That was the last he could handle. There were moments to be quiet and there were moments to stand your ground. He had to choose which to do now so he did.

"I quit." He said flatly.

The mare looked at him for a moment then made a shooing gesture with her left hoof. It was done he was no longer her servant and so he made for the door immediately. Once out of sight and earshot he sighed heavily. He was well aware of why his cold hearted ex-master had asked him to fetch her will.

"I will need to tell miss glow that I'm no longer in her mothers service."

Then the household intercom burst. "I need mister White collar to bring me my documents detailing the distribution of my belongings and as a warning to all household staff anypony who lets Pacifica Glow onto the premise will be sacked within the hour. That is all."

"So that's it then." Thought the elderly pony. "She's leaving her own daughter alone in the world."

/l\---)O(---/l\

Glowy awoke to the sound of light snoring from her bedside. A quick glance revealed that Lemon Tart had fallen asleep some time after she had and he was giving out small snores with every other breath or so. She smiled briefly at it. In a way it was kind of cute, her thoughts became more serious though as she woke up more.

"He stayed here all night just to make sure I was ok. For somepony who's antisocial, always grumpy and in a bad mood more often than not he's awfully sweet most of the time."

The more she thought about their time together the more she noticed how kind he had been. The day they met she had awoken to him making her a home cooked breakfast. He had offered to call her a cab for a ride home right after and he had been a gentlecolt the whole time...well most of the time. He might not always say the nicest things or be much for conversation but actions spoke louder than words and his actions were often very kind ones.

Glancing at the clock she noted the time was ten AM. She had slept for ten hours and he had spent an uncomfortable night on the cold hospital floor out of concern for her. In fact he had spent several nights on an old couch so she could sleep well. She knew he was always sore the next morning though he tried to hide it from her. Suddenly a knock at the door drew her attention.

"Come in."

When the door opened she was surprised to see a grim looking Taffington in the doorway.

"Taffington?" She said confused.

"Miss Glow I'm afraid I have some ill news."

"What's wrong?"

He swallowed hard. "I came because I thought it better somepony broke the news to you in person rather than you finding out when you left this morning but-"

"Hey...who's this guy?"

The two other more conscious ponies turned their heads to see a sleepy eyed yellow stallion waking up from his place on the floor.

"Oh your awake Lemon. This is Taffington my mothers head butler."

"Was. I hoofed in my resignation an hour ago."

"What? Why?"

"That's part of why I'm here miss Glow. Your mother won't be paying your hospital bill. She changed her will this mourning and left everything to somepony else I don't know who. You are no longer her heir and she told the staff you are no longer allowed on the property if they value their jobs."

Glowy's eyes became pinpricks as it set in. She had been disowned. She had no home to go back to, no money, nothing! Everything her mother had been supplying her with was gone. She had nothing left and no way to pay her way, get an apartment or even eat a meal a day. Her breath got ragged and soon she lost control of it and started to hyperventilate. Lemon got up and lightly pushed her back into her bed.

"Glowy breath deep just calm down do as I do!"

Her breathing only got worse as Taffington left to get a nurse. Lemon not sure of what else to do grabbed a blanket from a table in the room and wrapped it around her withers. Gradually as he continued to show her how to breath while lightly patting her back she got her breathing back under control.

"Calm down Glowy it's going to be ok."

"No it's not!" She yelled. "I have no money, no food, no home I have nothing left now and I'm nearly three thousand Bits in debt!"

The pink mare broke into a fit of hopeless tears as her situation hit her like a bus. She was ruined she had no livelihood no place to go nothing! No less than nothing she was in debt and she had just been left on her own! A nurse came into the room followed closely by a distraught looking Taffington.

"Please miss Glow calm down-" the nurse began but was cut off by the pink mare.

"Go away! I don't want anymore help from doctors get out! Get out! Get out!" She said screaming the last two words.

The poor nurse backed away before seeing Lemon nod to her and against her normal judgement she left the room quietly. Pacific fell back into her bed and buried her face in her pillow sobbing. Lemon quickly made his way over to Taffington and whispered to him. Concern was clearly written on his face.

"Stay here with her I'm going to go take care of the bill. Don't tell her or she'll try to stop me."

"Sir I'm not sure that you can cover this charge."

"I've been saving for the past five years for a rainy day. If this isn't one I don't know what is. Just keep her calm while I handle this and think of a plan."

"If your sure sir."

"I am now go take care of her."

With that Lemon left out the front door as he pulled out his pocket book. He had a lot to think about and only a short walk to do it in.

/l\---)O(---/l\

Taffington sat at Pacifica's bedside a book between his hooves and a pair of large glasses on the bridge of his muzzle. The pink earth filly to his right was snoring softly sound asleep. While most nights he was too busy he preferred to make sure she slept well and when he could he would see her off to dreamland with a story or two. He was well aware her mother wouldn't do it so if not him than who? He sighed as he set the book down on the small desk beside his chair Hay Carts Treaties on Ponies was a long read and it was getting too late to keep reading. With a quick glance at the lightly sleeping filly he found himself wondering what life might have been like if he had married. Would he have a foal? Two, three maybe? Would they be like this creature or different?

He sighed. He was old, too old for that kind of talk besides he didn't have enough to his name for a family anyhow. Still with old age comes regret and truth be told he found himself regretting not finding a mate. He had long ago come to terms with the realization that the reason he remained in the employ of the awful Scenic Glow was because he saw in Pacific the daughter he never had. The life he never had but maybe, just maybe being able to see Pacifica grow up and being able to help guide her would help with the regret of never having a filly he could call daughter. Though he supposed he could call Glowy that in a sense he'd cared for her since before she could walk and in truth he was her parental figure. Yes perhaps it was enough, maybe more than enough.

/l\---)O(---/l\

When Lemon returned he found a still obviously terrified Glowy and a sad looking butler doing his best to comfort her. When he got to her bedside he let out a short sigh before speaking.

"Come on Glowy we're going home."

"What home?"

"Our home you need a place to stay and I've got one."

"But! No Lemon I can't do that! You'll get evicted if your landlord finds out! You said so the day we met!"

"I can take that risk for a friend until I find better housing for us."

"But-No Lemon-"

"Don't worry about the hospital bill I payed it for you now come on you need a cup of tea and something to eat."

"What?" She nearly yelled.

"Glowy can we not do this now please just get out of the bed and we'll get some breakfast. The nurse says your good to leave once you sign some papers."

"Lemon I can't pay you back! What in Tartarus were you thinking? You can't do this for me it's too much!"

"Pacific stop!" His voice was raised and again he wore an uncompromising stare. "It's done and It's not being undone! You don't have any debt and your coming home to live with me until your at least up on your hooves! This is not a debate it's a fact so get used to it and get out of bed so we can get some food. Or do you want to see how cranky I get when I'm hungry?"

The pink mare instantly teared up again filled with conflicting feelings. Guilt, Happiness, Sadness she felt too much and simply acted. Jumping out of her bed she flung her fore hooves around his neck in a nearly painful hug.

"Why would you do this for me? I just-I just...I don't..."

"My father joined the guard because he wanted to help ponies. How could I dishonor his memory by leaving my best friend to deal with this by herself?"

Still crying a little bit she looked at her stoic yellow friend for a brief moment before leaning in and giving him and angry but grateful kiss on the cheek before hugging him again. After a moments pause she felt one of his hooves wrap around her back.

"It's gonna be ok Glowy...I'm your friend and I'm gonna take care of you. It's what you'd do for me if you could so how can I do any less?"

"How can you be so kind that it frustrates me? You're so...so...Stupid you wonderful, Sweet, jerk!

Unknown to Glowy Taffington had departed now knowing she was in good hooves and not wanting to spoil the moment. Lemon continued to pat her back lightly to keep her calm.

"It's gonna be ok. Things always get worse before they get better. Things are gonna go up from here Glow, It's gonna be alright."

"You horribly, wonderful jerk!" She muttered into his shoulder crying happily.