• Published 23rd Jun 2016
  • 405 Views, 3 Comments

Twilight's meeting of Thanatos, the god of death - 21latenighter



as Twilight learns her duties as the eternal guardian, and old foe returns that could change the past forever, but for a price...

  • ...
3
 3
 405

Fury's Curiosity

Fury Flight slept most of the morning away before Dash found his hiding place and pounced on him.

"Wakee, wakee sleepy head. Come on babe get up, you have a speech to give remember", Dash half said, half yelled in Fury's ear. Fury Flight stirred slowly and got up with a few grumbles about finding a spot she couldn't find.

"Why in Equestria do you have so much energy Dash", Fury said grumpily as he walked out of the custodian's closet in the west wing of the castle.

"Only because I have the most awesome night planned for tonight. First dinner at that one restaurant you like, then the wonderbolt's show, and a little something else later tonight", Rainbow said seductively, giving Fury a teasing eye flutter. Fury smiled and shook his head before walking down the hallway towards the main staircase in the middle of the castle. They walked down the stairs to the throne room on the second story to the balcony doors where Twilight and the rest of her friends stood waiting. "I found him snoozing in the janitors closet in the west wing like a lazy bum", Rainbow said jokingly.

"Like you didn't just wake up yourself", AJ said, bearing a smile a mile wide.

"AJ, why'd you have to spill the beans. I've been looking for him for at least a half an hour now", Rainbow said as she folded her wings up and her hooves touched the ground. She wouldn't admit to Fury that AJ caught her sleeping on Celestia's tree. It was the only tree in the courtyard and he had it named to honor and remember his sister and the ruler of Equestria. It was also the only tree in Dash could find in Canterlot that felt the same as the trees in sweet apple acres in Ponyville. "I looked in all of your usual napping spots, like the janitor's closets in the north, south and east wings. I also checked that patch of tall grass by Celestia's tree that the gardeners can't mow because you are always sleeping there", Dash said sarcastically to Fury as he opened his mouth to yawn.

The thought just hit him, what was his speech about? He had been so preoccupied by his work with Twilight that he had completely forgotten about it.

"You do remember your speech, don't you brother", Luna said eyeing Fury's perplexed face. "The Ponyville project ...,", she started. "Is...".

"Finished. How could I forget about that", Fury said, remembering his speech in full.

"Yes, how could you forget a speech you've been reciting for the past five nights. You kept me up all night two nights ago, because you didn't think it was long enough", Rainbow said aggravated.

"Not very hard Dash with the last two nights we've had", Twilight said seriously.

"Oh", Rainbow started. "What kind of nights have you had with my BEST FRIEND Fury Flight", Rainbow said through clenched teeth, putting a lot of emphasis on the best friend part.

"Rainbow, you know me better that that, something big come up a couple of nights ago", Fury Flight said, but caught cut off by Dash.

"Oh, I bet something big came up", Dash said.

"Not like that, a former villain was released from banishment and me and Twilight have been trying to figure out more about him, that's all dash", Fury explained. This seemed to calm rainbow down out of her current attitude as she nodded and apologized slowly to twilight.

"Srry fr suspctn u Twi", Rainbow said quickly and softly.

"I can't hear you Dash", Twilight said sarcastically.

"Ok fine, I'm sorry for suspecting that you did something naughty with my boyfriend", Rainbow said quickly.

"It's time children", Luna said. "We do have a speech to give".

"Right, right, alright Dash we'll finish this later", Fury said as he opened the balcony door to the roaring crowd outside. He walked out to the railing and started his speech.

"My fellow Ponies, I am here today to bring you good news. The ponyville project is completed and is ready to move back into. The Construction crews have finished their work. I would like to wish those returning to ponyville a safe trip and good luck", Fury started his speech.

a voice called out from the crowd. "Will the princess be returning with us".

"Though not today, Princess Twilight will be returning to Ponyville along with the elements that choose to return", Fury called out to the audience. The crowd roared in applause as Fury bowed and walked back into the castle. Dash looked at Fury as soon as he walked in. "I think I am going to", Fury started.

"Don't even finish your sentence, you are coming with me", Dash said.

"Rainbow not now, I have a lot of paperwork to do for the appaloosa apple trade", Fury said.

"We were supposed to spend the day together", Dash said, beginning to get aggravated. "And you told me that you did that paperwork last week".

"Dash, I don't want to do this right now", Fury said, but Dash kept up.

"Today was the one day we were supposed to have to ourselves", Dash said again. The rest of the ponies began to walk away.

Fury finally snapped. "Ok Dash, I have to fill out papers that give Brae burn and the orchard hands temporary trading rights to all the places that Sweet Apple Acres sells to. Then I have to go and pay them for the apples, that's five hundred bits in advance Dash, you listening", Fury snarled to dash, who had began to hunker down to the ground with a terrified look. She had never seen this side of him before. Fury then continued, "Then that is one hundred bits for every three hundred bushel. I asked Apple Jack about her export and she said that she sent three hundred bushels a week, and she expected Sweet Apple Acres to start back up in three months. Now add that up Dash, Three months times one hundred a week. That's twelve hundred bits at least Dash", Fury said as his rage exploded. Rainbow was now cowering on the ground and shaking in total fear. Twilight moved to say something but Luna stopped her.

"No Twilight, he needs to let this out. Tia used to have these days when the stress became too much. He will calm down in a second or two", Luna said softly to Twilight. Sure enough Fury looked down at Dash and saw her cowering. His eyes widened and he stopped his rant.

"Please forgive me Dash, what kind of monster have I become", Fury said as he teleported out of the room.

"Fury wait", Dash called out to now thin air. "Don't go".

"Don't be mad Rainbow Dash, He needs some time alone to calm down", Luna said to dash as she started to take off. "Where are you going Rainbow, he could be anywhere in equestria if he is even in Equestria".

"I know where he is Luna, he had a day like this before and I found him there", Dash said as she flew towards the mountain that the city was built on.

She found Fury Flight sitting in front of a ruin next to the mountain. He didn't even look to her when he started talking. "This place holds a lot of memories, me and my friends built this from the ground up. This is the original Canterlot Castle. We built it as a memorial to those lost in the war against Kaorn, and also stood as the place where we kept the elements before we planted the tree of harmony", Fury said, not looking away from the ruins. "It collapsed during the war with discord when my friends were tortured and killed in front of me. I haven't rebuilt it because no pony remembers the time of the alicorns, and those who do have been gone for many years", Fury said, finally looking to his side where Rainbow sat. "I don't know what got into me today Dash. I guess the stress finally got to me. Can you ever forgive me Dash".

"I already have Fury. Just warn me next time you explode like that", Rainbow said with a small smile.

"I will my dear", Fury said as a smile returned to his face.

"Whatever happened to us Fury. I mean eight years ago you would of dropped everything to be by my side for a simple reserve training, and now you are too busy with your paperwork that never seems to get done. I mean do I not please you anymore, I know I'm not the young mare I used to be but, have I became boring to you", Dash said out of the blue.

"Is that what you think is happening Dash, you will never be too old or young for me, because I love you. Do you remember how we met Dash", Fury asked Rainbow seriously.

"Yea, we met at a wonderbolt show about ten years ago to the day", Dash answered.

"Yes, it was the spring spectacular event and I attended even though I should of been studying", Fury said started.

"Weren't you just the little rebel", Dash added.

"I should of been studying spells if Twilight failed and Nightmare Moon wasn't stopped. I was also tipped off by the guards that there was a daredevil mare attending who was pretty cute", fury added.

"I wasn't that cute", Rainbow retorted.

"I was in the top row, so I could see the whole crowd and hopefully catch a glimpse of the mare the guards spoke of. To my surprise, you sat down next to me. You easily topped the guards descriptions with your silly hairstyle to look like Swift Wing. Wasn't he the captain of the wonderbolts", Fury said as he looked at rainbow with a look that could only be described as pure love.

"That was the same hairstyle that Spitfire had, but I pulled it off so much better", Dash said with a hoof running through her mane.

"We had a few words of small talk before you let loose on me", Fury said with a giggle.

"What, I did not", Dash retorted, hitting Fury in the shoulder with her hoof.

"You called me an idiot for not knowing Swift Wing's stats. Then I said that only a weirdo would know how many times Swift Wing used the bathroom during events", Fury said with a big smile.

"Then remember how we argued over who was the fastest wonderbolt. We eventually agreed that Swift Wing was the fastest, followed by Quick Feather, and then Feather Wind brought up the rear", Dash laughed as she remembered their first time together.

"After we agreed on that, one thing lead to another until I asked for your address to get to know you better", Fury said. The two ponies looked into each other's eyes for a couple of minutes before lurching at each other. They met in a romantic embrace before sealing it off with a kiss. The kiss began to deepen as they wrestled each other's tongue. "I think that we should move this somewhere else", Fury stated as he broke away from Dash's lips. Dash giggled and agreed, Then Fury took hold of Dash by her hooves and teleported back to their castle home. They shut and locked their bedroom door, and for the next hour and a half, the sounds of their lovemaking echoed around the east wing of the castle.

Rarity had decided to be the party pooper and break the two lovers up. It was one thing for them to share their emotions that way with each other, but to "share", them with the rest of the castle staff and guests was another. She took Apple Jack with her just incase she needed to muscle dash to the ground. They approached the bedroom when the "sharing" had subsided. Rarity raised her hoof to knock when it suddenly flew open.

"Oh, hello, can I help you with something", a messy maned and sweaty Fury Flight answered the door awkwardly.

Rarity was so surprised by the door that it left her speechless. "I uh, well, I, I, uh".

"Spit it out Fluttershy", came Dash's voice from inside the bedroom, a thud was heard as Dash got up from the bed and fell right on her face. "Ohh, I can't feel my legs".

"Don't worry, you will get that feeling back in about twenty minutes or so", Fury said turning to look at the blue Pegasus.

"I uh, I am um Rarity", Rarity finally managed to say.

"What, you mean we left Rarity speechless, awesome", Dash said, making a failed attempt to stand.

Rarity regained her composure and spoke. "It came to our attention that you two were so loud that me and the others were forced to leave, and if you are quite finished".

"Rarity", Dash cut her off. "We're sorry that we were so loud, but it has been a while and wow".

"I don't want to hear the details Dash", Rarity said plugging her ears. "Aren't you going to that wonderbolt event away".

"Oh shit", Dash yelled, interrupting Rarity again. "Fury we need to get going", she said trying to stand once again, but her legs wouldn't cooperate and she fell back on her face.

"Let me help you", Fury said as he teleported from the door to the Pegasus on the floor. He took his hoof and pressed down hard on the center of Dash's back, sending her wings flapping and her legs straight out in front of her. she tried to stand and this time she succeeded. "Now let's go before we are late".

Twilight paced in the middle of the library floor, she had made her decision. She would accept Thanatos' offer, but she wanted to run it by Fury Flight first. The way she saw it, she was giving up her life to save thousands, maybe tens of thousands. There was only one problem, he and Dash left almost half an hour ago and she wasn't going to interrupt him when he was having a date with Rainbow Dash. After all, they hadn't been around each other that much over the last few months. Dash had been working with the construction crews in Ponyville, keeping the weather nice as they finished the project. Fury flight on the other hoof had been attending meeting after meeting here at the castle getting ponyville ready to restart.

They arrived at the stadium just in time for the show to start. They walked onto the bleachers at row twenty eight, seats five and six. "I can't believe you actually got the same seats we sat at last time", Dash said as they reached the two spots and sat down.

"Truth be told, I have had these seats reserved for months for this show. It looks like a good thing too", Fury said as they looked at the full crowd. The wonderbolts shot out from the ground in the stadium and flew high into the air, doing different loops and tricks as they were introduced by the announcer in the announcer's box mid way on the bleachers.

"First off we have our captain, Fire Feathers. Next off we have the right wing, Quick wing, And last but certainly not least, we have the left wing, Fastback", the announcer said with a very hyped voice.

"Fire Feathers used to be my right wing when you were in the moon. He was always a bit cocky, and I'm glad to see that he got his head out of his rear and started to take responsibility", Dash said looking at the red wonderbolt. "Quick Wing was a reserve when I was captain. He showed a lot of potential", she said as she pointed at the white Pegasus in question. "I've never heard of Fastback though, he must be a newbie", Dash said, shrugging her shoulders.

"For those new in the crowd, Fastback is a transfer from the illustrious Trottingham team", came the announcer's voice.

Hearing that the introductions were over, the wonderbolts began their routine. "They're doing the Summer Sunrise Salutation, that was your sister's favorite routine", Dash said as the wonderbolts performed the daring routine. After that routine was finished, they began a new routine. Rainbow's mouth dropped as she recognized the routine as her own. "That's the routine that I came up with for your return Fury. The Dare Devil Spiral Surprise, The surprise is when you nearly reach the ground on your spiral", Dash said as the wonderbolts began the spiraling dive. "Within a foot or two, you pull up hard and do a triple back flip followed by soaring straight up and making our signature fly over", Dash said as she explained the rest of the routine to Fury, who took in every word.

The wonderbolts usual lightning cloud streak changed to a Rainbow streak instead. "It seems we have a retired captain in the audience tonight, let's give it up for Rainbow Dash", the announcer said over excitedly over the radio. Lights appeared over Dash and the camera focusing on the wonderbolts focused on Dash. She waved and went a little red in the cheeks when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Fury on his knees.

"What is this", Dash said questionably.

"Rainbow Dash, I know it's been a while since we met, and I should of done this a long time ago but, will you make me the happiest stallion in Equestria and be my wife", Fury asked, still on his knees.

"Under one condition", Dash said barely over a whisper.

"Name it and its yours", Fury answered.

"You never embarrass me like this again", Dash said, smiling and cheeks fully flushed.

"Its a deal", Fury said with a mile wide smile. The two ponies sat back down as the show continued. They watched the rest of the show in peace knowing that their lives were going to be greater than ever.

They returned to the castle when the moon was high in the sky. Rainbow walked into their room when she turned around to look at her Fiancé. "Are you coming to bed, or are you going to the library".

"I think I am going to go to the library and think for a while", Fury said as he turned to the library.

"Don't be out there all night Fury", Dash said as she closed the door softly.

Fury Flight walked down the hallway towards the great library. When he opened the door to walk in, he was greeted by a pacing Twilight. "Hello Twilight, I suppose that you are waiting on some pony", Fury said as Twilight looked up surprised.

"Oh your back, I was waiting for you to return. I made my decision on the Thanatos matter", Twilight said as she walked across the room to the middle of the library.

"What have you decided Twilight", Fury asked as he reached the middle of the library himself.

"I have decided to take Thanatos' offer. I will give my life to save the lives of the others and save the future", Twilight said to Fury.

"I think you are making a mistake, but I have been in your hooves before and I know the stress. How about you go and get some sleep and we talk in the morning", Fury said to Twilight.

"Alright, see you in the morning and don't be up all night", Twilight said as she walked out of the library towards her bedroom.

"Why is everyone worried about me staying up all night", Fury said to himself as he walked to one of the shelves. He had to know why Thanatos wouldn't take his life instead. He had lived a long life, but Twilight's life had just begun. He looked over to the center of the library and called upon his magic to summon the god. "Thanatos, heed my call and grant me your presence", he said in an elevated voice.

"You have more questions for me I suppose", the voice of Thanatos said from the corner of the library.

"Answer my question Thanatos. Why won't you let me give you my best accomplishments to save this world", Fury said angrily. he wasn't going to let up on him so easily this time.

"Oh I think you should know by now Fury Flight", Thanatos said as the gears in Fury's head worked out the problem.

Why was Twilight the only one who could give her memories unless...., unless she was the only one...., no.

"It seems you understand now", Thanatos said, now smiling confidently.

"You want Twilight because she is the only one who is powerful enough to stop you, and if she agrees to this and dies willingly, there won't be any pony left to stop you", Fury said as he figured out the problem.

"Very good Fury Flight, I am impressed by your mind. I am afraid however that you will never leave this room to tell another soul", Thanatos said as his horn began to light up.

"I won't leave this world without a fight", Fury said as he prepared his own magic. He was bluffing, it would take every shred of magic he possessed to even stand a chance against Thanatos. Maybe a stunning spell would give him enough time to get out of the library. He called upon his magic, but Thanatos was so much faster on the draw. A magical white roped looped out of his horn and wound around Fury's neck. Fury went from offense to defense, and tried to cast his shield magic, but Thanatos broke through his shield easily and continued his assault. Fury could only think of one more spell. He knew his sister would awaken immediately if the sun were to raise in the middle of the night and come to his aid. He began the spell, but Thanatos produced a magic bubble around them both. Fury could only kick and punch, but Thanatos only made his magic rope wind completely around Fury's body, leaving him helpless to watch Thanatos squeeze out the rest of the life in him.

"Die without heroics", Thanatos whispered into Fury's ear. Fury let out a final gasp before he took his final breath. His body went limp, and Thanatos kept up his deadly magical embrace before letting his body hit the floor. Thanatos then used his magic to set Fury's body on a chair in the library. "And so it begins, one down, two to go", Thanatos said as he disappeared into the shadows.