• Published 20th May 2016
  • 316 Views, 7 Comments

Dawn of Equestria - FeatherB



A story of Equestria's founding, from the eyes of a very biased Pegasus mare; and it's not at all what she signed up for.

  • ...
5
 7
 316

3: A Decision Made

Chapter 3

----

During the rest of my duels I thought about my brother. Sometimes to contemplate why I would ever even consider leaving my life in the clouds for him. And other times I thought of him as the stallion I was hitting with my sword. Needless to say, I felt far better at the end of those.

But after each duel I looked at the sun, tracking its steady ascent across the sky, and knowing that each passing moment brought me closer to having to make a decision. Training always ended at midday, when the sun was at its highest. It was there now, beating down on us; the sweat covered soldiers hoping to be something more. I figured that most of the soldiers I fought that day were not going to get that chance. With the exception of a deceptively nimble grey stallion, not a single one of them had landed a point on me. Then again, even with my superior swordplay, I wasn’t going to get that chance either. Not that I had decided yet. But that was just it, I hadn’t made up my mind.

I don’t think I ever will, I thought. How could I? How could he ask me to choose between my life and his?

I flopped down on my flank against the circle I had just fought in, panting, too tired to even sheath my sword which lay discarded next to me. I squinted up at the sun. Any minute now, the Lieutenant would call it quits. Any minute now I would have to go to the rain mill and either give my life to him, or let him throw away his. But there was another decision to be made first.

My eyes flickered to the nearly vacant stands. I knew Silverglow would not be there. That she would have left for her own daily training in herbalism and weather patterns. She would be back though, to unhitch my armor, and scold me for pressing myself too hard. What was I supposed to tell her? We had been friends since we were foals. There was no way I was leaving without saying goodbye.

I tried to imagine what I might say, but there was no way to reason it. He was my brother, and she was my closest friend. If I stayed, I would be losing my only sibling. If I left, I would be losing my… I had to be honest with myself. She really was my only friend. I didn’t exactly attract many other ponies.

Silverglow was the pony who kept me sane. The one I could talk to whenever my family infuriated me, or my training, or another pony I bumped into on the street. She was really the only one I never got upset with. At least, for very long. She would just stand there, looking dejected, a bit of pout to her lip, and scuffing the floor with her hoof. How could I stay angry with that?

My image of her was replaced with a far less pleasant one. Windhelm hovered over me, his face beet red after a bit too much exposure. Did I miss his final call?

“What are you still doing here?” He shouted in my face, spraying it with even more moisture than it already had. “Get your flank out of my ring, now!”

You would have already thrown my flank out of town by now, if you could, I thought, snidely. Too bad he might actually get his wish.

I eased my way onto my hooves, gingerly picking up my sword and returning it to its sheath.

Fortunately, the Lieutenant had better things to do, and instead of harassing me more, unfurled his wings and soared away.

Without my commander to be annoyed by my slowness, I picked up my pace and headed for the gate. There was still no need to rush, however. The rest of my day did not seem very promising.

Back under the stands, I was once again thankful that I had a room so close to the gate. Even with how light Pegasus armor was, it was enough extra weight after a long day of training to drag a pony down. The hall reeked of musky stallion sweat, and though I certainly added to it, the foreign odor of so many other ponies was enough to make even an iron-willed soldier, such as myself, gag.

For that reason, and because I was simply too exhausted to care, I opted to butt into the door of my room with my head instead of lifting a hoof to test it. Luckily, it was open, and Silverglow sat waiting patiently inside as I stumbled in.

Her ears perked at my entrance, and she immediately closed the tome from which she had been reading.

“The valiant hero returns from her crusade,” she beamed, though her voice lacked the enthusiasm to sell the bit.

I attempted a weak smile, but it was all in vain. I only hoped her mood was from her own day’s problems rather than fretting over what I had failed to tell her the entire time. You couldn’t say I was a completely heartless pony.

“How were your lessons?” I asked, hoping my assumptions would be wrong.

“Not bad,” she said, dismissively. After which she began pacing around me, surveying my armor for any major damage I might have caused it. “Just plants, medicine, and other things you wouldn’t be interested in.”

It was hard to admit, but she was not wrong.

“Your armor looks great,” she appraised. “The hero goes unscathed again, I presume?”

“Eh, one stallion got a lucky swing, but he was the only one,” I said. Call me what you will, but I was not a liar. Not typically. “You should have seen how he looked after I was done with him for that, though.”

She gingerly began loosening the cinch on the first strap around my chest, apparently imagining the stallion in her head, or so I thought.

The strap came undone without pinching me, and the plating fell to the floor. “That was some duel in your second round today,” she said. “It was smart, the way you beat him.”

Second round? I thought. Oh, right. Blue-tail.

“Yeah, he was…” I wasn’t sure how to describe him. Different? “Well, he was wishing he had a squire pony like you after that, I bet.” I gave her a big grin hoping to lighten the mood.

She removed the barding from my back, laying it aside with the chest piece, leaving only my flank to go.

“Seemed to me like he was more interested in having a pony like you,” she said, coyly.

I blinked. That was ridiculous. He may have played it that way, but it was all for show. Wasn’t it? “Please, Silverglow. The only reason any of these stallions would want me is so they could boast how they got with the only mare in training. You and I both know I’m not the most appealing pony around. And I mean that in more ways than one.” As I said, I’m an honest pony.

“Speak for yourself,” she said, having removed the last piece of plating. “I think you have just as much going for you as any other mare up here.”

I shook myself, throwing the drops of sweat from my mane, then rolled my shoulders, before bending my legs into a deep stretch.

“Yeah, well, you’re required to say that as my friend,” I said. “Now, do you have my water?”

She rolled her eyes, muttering something under breath, but obediently fetched the bucket from where she had been sitting earlier.

There was a bathing area provided in the hall of course, but any pony that expected me to go anywhere near that place during training hours was bona-fide insane.

Silverglow placed the bucket at my hooves, then politely stepped back and faced away from me. I really didn’t mind whether she did or not, but telling her so would be an odd conversation. It wasn’t as if I was actually bathing after all.

First, however, I took a greedy mouthful of the water, swirling it around before swallowing it, and enjoying the cool, crisp taste. She must have gotten it fresh from the rain mill. You simply couldn’t buy friendship like that.

Grabbing the edge of the bucket, I tipped it up above my head and let the rest of the water slosh out over me. It was instant relief, chilling tendrils of liquid bliss washing away the exhaustion. I let it soak into my coat, run along my mane, down my legs, and to the floor. Unlike that morning, a bucket of water was the best thing in the sky when you actually needed one.

Moving aside one pony length, I dropped to the clouds and rolled around, doing the best a pony could to dry herself. Well, short of having another pony do so, but that was out of the question.

“Alright, I’m finished,” I said, getting back to my hooves and shaking a back leg to get rid of some particularly stubborn droplets.

Silverglow peeked over her shoulder first, before turning around completely, as if there was something to be embarrassed about.

I stood there, looking into the sad expression she wore, knowing the moment had arrived. There were other options. I could have simply started packing my things, pretending to have forgotten. I even could have told her I wasn’t ready to say anything yet. That it would have to wait for another day. But truly? They were options I would never have taken.

She moved before I could, placing a tentative hoof on my shoulder.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?” she asked, completely unaware of the wing-lock I was about to give her.

The thing was, how much should I tell her? Everything of course.

I started by reminding her of how obsessively compassionate my brother was. How he could never be idle when there were ponies in need. I pointed out the food shortages we were having, and how everypony was overworked, just like Roanheart had done to me. Then I told her about the night before, when he had come to me, forcing me into a choice between him and my own path. I watched her carefully through it all. Her eyes growing wide, before squinting as she tried to understand. Her knowing smile at the description of my brother, then replaced with a thoughtful frown. But finally, when I was finished, even though I hadn’t talked for as long as it felt, I moved on to what was really bothering me.

“I just can’t decide,” I told her. “How can he expect me to choose between his life and my own? I’m going to be somepony here, but I could never let him go without me. He has no idea what he’s getting into. Without me, he will die within a week if he’s even that lucky. What kind of sister would I be if I let him do that to himself?”

The floor became the focus of my attention by then. I didn’t know if I was ashamed of myself for putting my problem on her, or for becoming more emotional than I was credited for. After a few seconds of painstaking silence, she hugged me.

“Dawn,” she started softly, before breaking away. “It sounds to me like you have already made a decision. You should be more worried about preparing to leave than what you are going to tell Roanheart.”

And there it was. I had known from the minute he had asked me, what my choice was going to be. I had simply needed another pony to tell me it was okay. To say it was the right decision. That pony happened to be Silverglow.

“I know,” was all I could say. I imagine most ponies would have broken down then; cried for a while, wailing that it wasn’t fair. Not me.

I gave my friend a smile as her own eyes teared up, and then began packing my barding back into my saddlebag.

The silent unspoken question that remained was one I had hoped to escape. Would she ask to come with us? I certainly did not want her to. There was a chance, a slim one, that Roanheart would change his mind after we left. After seeing just how hopeless the war was, and thinking of our friends and family back home. But if Silverglow was with us? He would refuse to fail in front of her. Then I would be stuck on the ground trying to keep two other ponies alive. Let alone myself.

“So, when are you leaving?” she asked, just as I had finished slinging my saddlebag over me.

I met her eyes for a moment, trying to read the thoughts behind those silver windows. If I told her when, I was taking a huge risk. But as long as she didn’t know where, I figured it was safe. I still didn’t even know that myself.

“Tonight,” I said, watching her wilt a little before me. “We’ll be fine though. I’m sure Roanheart has thought of everything.” That might have been a mark against my truthful pony idealism.

She took a step back. “Dawn, that’s rather sudden. Do you even know where you’re going?”

No I don’t, and I wouldn’t tell you if I did. “Does it matter?” I said. “Wherever we go, it will be to help ponies who need it. Isn’t that enough?”

I didn’t mean to sounds so harsh, but if Silverglow thought for a moment I didn’t know what I was doing, she might try to follow. Heck, I was lucky she didn’t call me out for pretending to care about other ponies.

But she was still far from convinced. She fell onto her flank, sighing. “I wish it were that simple, but you going down there without knowing what you’re getting into…”

We would cause more harm than good. I was fully aware of that risk, and it was one of the many reasons it had taken me so long to accept I had to leave with him. And now my friend seemed suddenly against my doing so.

“I thought you supported my decision to go.” I said.

She refused to meet my gaze. “I support whatever you choose to do. I always do. It’s just I- I don’t want to lose you to some war we’re not even a part of. You’re asking me to be okay with my best friend leaving on a journey without me. What am I supposed to say to that?”

“How about, good luck?” I suggested, leaving the door behind to sit with her. “I don’t know what’s going to happen down there, but I won’t forget that you’re waiting here for me when I get back.”

She wiped a tear off her cheek with a forehoof. “So this is goodbye then... isn’t it.”

My gut wrenched a bit. It was the first time I ever had to say goodbye to somepony, and I already hated it.

“How about, instead of goodbye we say, ‘until we meet again,’ and I promise to come back, no matter what.”

She nodded, her eyes still downcast. “You better get going. Roanheart will be wondering where you are.”

“Right,” I said, getting to my hooves again. Don’t look back, I told myself, trotting to the door. Don’t do it.

I looked back, and my heart hurt a little more. Silverglow was holding in what tears she still had. Her body shivered, and she met my gaze without really seeing me. I tried to think of something encouraging; whatever you say when you leave your best friend behind. But I came up empty.

She faked a smile. “Go be a hero, Dawnfire.”

I saluted, as if making a joke of it would help it hurt any less. Then, shifting my saddlebag a little, I left my fitting room and my best friend behind, thinking I would never see either of them again. I would be right about one.

Trotting through the hall, there were some stallions coming out of their rooms the same as me. They paid me little attention, or far too much. But truthfully, it didn’t matter anymore. I had more important things to worry about.

Drool-face appeared in a doorway near the end of the hall, the noon-day sunlight barely catching him in its glow. He looked pretty bruised, and I made sure to skirt around him. No reason to start anything.

He snorted and muttered something under his breath as I went by.

Bite me. I thought, darkly, and re-imagined our duel, with him lying in a broken pile. It helped my mood, a little.

The hot sun was on me then, and the shadowed halls of the stands were behind me forever. I highly doubted the Paladins would be inclined to let me try again after leaving town for who knew how long. But if they did, I would make them remember the mare who taught them how to really fight.

Risenbrook was in full swing. Pegasi flew in all directions, headed for the rain mill or their homes. Some, I knew, would be going to the market, for what meager supplies they had left to sell.

If anything changes, I hope we can at least get a decent meal for them. I lifted my wings and forced myself into the air, my saddlebag feeling even heavier than before. Regrettably, steel barding was no lighter when folded up and shoved into a bag, even when it was Pegasus armor.

I powered my way into the higher levels of the flight paths, following in the wakes of ponies headed toward the mill. The air was almost as refreshing as the bucket of water I had earlier. I closed my eyes for a moment, letting the thrill of flight take over. As much as I enjoyed fighting, every Pegasus I knew had an affinity for flying, and I was no exception.

The rain mill loomed ahead when I opened my eyes again. Its great spiraling clouds drifted majestically above it, contrast to its menacing grey thunderclouds that rumbled beneath.

I spotted Roanheart on the ledge outside the main entrance, his size and deeply colored coat were hard to miss. The perfect target for whoever might want to kill him. I slipped into a glide, slowly moving down to meet him. For a second, I thought about turning back before he saw me, forgetting the whole thing and spending the rest of the day with Silverglow. But there were just some choices you had to make, no matter how much you may dislike them.

My brother made no reaction as I alighted beside him, only his eyes moved to look at me.

“You’re late,” he said, casually.

“And you’re lucky I came at all,” I said, unshouldering my saddlebag, and stretching my back.

“Well I’m glad you did,” he said, giving me those pitiful brown eyes of his.

It was probably best I didn’t tell him how seriously I had considered not doing so. But now that I was there standing next to him, I knew I could never have let him go alone.

“So where exactly are we going down there?” I asked in my best sisterly ‘tell me you’re not an idiot’ tone. “You do have a plan right?”

He snorted. Stallions seemed to do that a lot. “Of course. Dee, I’m not an idiot, you know.”

My voice had been perfect.

“Well then, how about letting me in on this brilliant plan of yours,” I said. If there was a strategy to be put in motion, a soldier, such as myself, should be at the front of it.

Roanheart glanced suspiciously at a nearby mill worker as he flew past, the wind from his wings ruffling our feathers. I doubted that was the only thing my brother had bothering him. He leaned in closer, as if that made our scheming any less obvious.

“I flew down to the surface last week…” he whispered.

I wanted to be surprised, but I couldn’t. Perhaps a theatrical gasp would have been appropriate. But that was beneath me. Everything Roanheart had done so far, was exactly what I expected of him.

He continued, despite my mute response. “There’s a village just east of us with almost no protection. Their supply caravans don’t show up anymore. They are cut off, easy prey for mercenaries or whoever. I figure we can start there, help them back on their hooves, and find out more about what’s going on. Then go from there.”

A helpless little village in need of saving, and conveniently nearby. Somehow I doubted it was that simple. “Whose side are they on?” I asked, our conversation from the earlier night coming to mind. What were the sides for that matter? “If you want to ‘end the war,’ we should probably make sure we’re fighting for the right ponies.”

He stuttered, as if he still hadn’t considered it. Then again, it was Roanheart, so he probably hadn’t.

“Dee, these ponies are farmers,” he said. “Families that barely know what the fighting is about themselves. We can only do good by helping them. What does it matter whose side they are on?”

Helping a village to supply an army that could kill ponies against them mattered. But we were only two Pegasi with hero complexes. If we swayed the war by protecting some farmers, the other side probably deserved to lose. I supposed it was best to let Roanheart have that one.

“Okay fine,” I said, rolling an already stiff shoulder. “So now what? Do you have everything we need; food, water?” A magical spell that will prevent us from getting shot out of the sky.

He scuffed the clouds with a forehoof and looked away from me.

Oh Goddess, now what? “Spit it out. What did you forget?”

“I didn’t forget anything,” he said, defiantly. “I have everything we need, just not…”

I stared at him, watching him struggle like some foal trying to confess his love, not a full grown stallion admitting what vital item he had failed to procure for our grand adventure.

Unable to bare it any longer, I got to my hooves and made as if I was going to leave.

“I couldn’t get any weapons,” he said in a rush.

That stopped me in my tracks, even when I hadn’t planned on actually leaving. “You’re joking.” Of course he wasn’t.

“I tried to make a deal with a surface pony while I was down there, but apparently they don’t trust Pegasi. And there’s no way the Paladin’s will let me anywhere near the armory.”

“So you need me to get them for you,” I finished.

He nodded rather lamely.

“Well this may come as a surprise to you, but they don’t let regular soldiers into the Paladin’s Keep either,” I said. “We get to see the main hall once, and that’s it, until you make full Paladin. If you make Paladin.” Even saying it to him made me want to hit somepony. It’s not like they had anything worth hiding anyway. Except some dusty old books and a few actual swords.

Roanheart chuckled under his breath and smiled at me. “I remember the time they let you in the hall, you couldn’t stop talking about it.”

Yeah, that was before I knew it was a boring load of crap. I thought. But it also reminded me of something else.

“You were still in training then,” I told him, a smile of my own creeping up on me. “You had a limp that morning because your flank got kicked so hard the day before you could barely walk. I don’t think you won a single fight.”

He laughed again, but all the sincerity was gone. “That’s part of why I left, you know. What good is a soldier who can’t fight?”

“That doesn’t mean you give up,” I said. “Training is learning how to do what you can’t. Think of how proud Dad was then, Mom too. You just had to stick with it.”

“Yeah, well I didn’t, okay, Dee?” He said, suddenly fierce. “You stayed with it, and I didn’t. But I’m not giving up now. Not on the ponies in that village or any others who might need our help.”

I held up a hoof, stopping his approach. “Alright, seesh. You don’t have to get all righteous on me,” I said.

He sighed and backed off, as if he had unloaded some huge burden. My brother, the melodramatic. “Will you at least try, for me?” he asked.

I could have sassed him for a bit more for not being specific, but I knew what he meant, and he knew I did. What will it hurt? I supposed. I’m going to be kicked out anyway. Might as well get it over with a day early. I gathered up my saddlebag once more and slipped it over me, not bothering to look at him as I stretched out my wings.

“Anything else I should know about?” I asked over my shoulder.

“Not really,” he said. “Just meet me back home when you’re done. I get off work soon anyway.”

Home. Where was that going to be down there? I thought, while my wings caught the wind and I leapt into the open air. Wherever it was, at least I wouldn’t have two old ponies fussing over me. That, and we would probably be too busy fleeing for our lives on a consistent basis.

“Oh, and Dee!” Roanheart shouted after me. “Remember to keep this quiet!”

Yeah, sure, Roanheart. And next we’ll keep it quiet in town square, or at the Paladin’s Keep. Perhaps we can even keep it quiet at the Keep’s dungeon, assuming they have one.

I banked left, heading out across to where the Keep would be sitting, looming over the homes of ponies in the upper ring. If they did have a dungeon, I probably would find out very soon.

A weathered orange stallion flew up to my level, his wary gaze suggesting he had heard Roanheart’s declaration of secrecy.

“Buck off!” I snapped, pumping my wings to reach above normal traffic patterns. If I was going to leave my home town that night, I was going to enjoy my last flight over it in peace.

Author's Note:

Not much for me to say here. This chapter is all about building characters, and them coming to terms with what has to come next. I do hope you are enjoying the story so far. Please feel free to leave comments on what you think, either positive or politely negative. Thanks for reading.