• Published 19th May 2016
  • 447 Views, 8 Comments

I am Ruffcoat, I am a shoop! - Bojack H



A sheep is fed up with his lot in life, and one day one of RD's pranks finally makes him realise it. Instead of following the herd, he stands up and declares "I am a shoop!" what follows is his tale

  • ...
2
 8
 447

Chapter 3: Shoopzide-do!

OK this wasn’t exactly as easy as I thought.

I stopped to consult the map again.

Follow the road out of town, Check
Make a left at the gazebo, Check
Take a right at the blueberry bush, Make a left at the raspberry bush, Go straight past the mulberry bush,
And get completely lost. Check...

I sighed and crumpled up the map.

Stupid map, who uses berry bushes as directions… Oh great, there’s the farmer Applequack(?) and she's coming this way.

The orange mare was indeed trotting along the path looking around for something or someone. I thought about diving into the bushes but i didn't want to be accused of smelling of elderberries if i got caught. Out of options, I pulled my cloak tight around myself and non nonchalantly walked past her.

I almost made it out of sight when she stopped, turned around and looked back in my direction.

“RUFFCOAT there you are, ah’ve been lookin all over for you after I heard what happened.” She said, trotting up beside me. Her accent was only slightly better than her sister’s. “Look, I know how much the herd means to you sheepfolk, its like yer family, and I feel terrible that Rainbowdash’s prank caused you to have a fallin out with them. Come back to the farm, I can speak with Jan for ya, I know she probably feels bad fer kickin you out and all that.”

Hmmm…. go back to being a grass eating sheep or become a rich adventurer... tough call. “Nope, sorry um…Applesack, I’m no longer a sheep.” I said, walking with purpose. “I decided that from now on I am a shoop, and as such, I don’t need a herd anymore.” I swear I heard a bell ring in the distance. She just looked at me as if I had said something crazy.

I decided to change the subject. “Look, I found a job while in town and I’m off to go try my hoof at it. I never really fit in with the herd anyways. I’m more mad with myself that I didn’t see it sooner. I didn’t really mean to explode on your sister like that.” By now we were heading in the right direction, the cottages were getting few and far between now.

She stopped and grabbed my foreleg. “Shucks sugarcube, if y'all weren’t happy there then ya shoulda just said so. I hope whatever you’re doin now brings ya happiness and satisfaction.”
Did she just…that was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!

I wiped away a tear, not because it’s the only time someone has ever said something nice about me, but because the sharp smelling turnips and the dust from the path was in my eyes, that’s it. “Thanks” I said, totally not almost crying. “That really means a lot.” I rubbed my eyes again and we started walking.

Eventually, we came to the end of town,I think, anyway the edge of the forest was right there. I pulled out the crumpled up map and sure enough, while I was talking to AppleMac , we had followed the next few directions to the letter.

“Well we managed to pass a Prenchmare I think…, and I have no idea what a Zebran swallow is but there’s a bunch of birds over there so I’ll check that one off.” I said. I then read the next entry on the list. “’Walk the path straight and true until the castle of twin sisters approaches you….’. What kind of stupid directions are these?” I scowled at the stupid flyer again.

I looked over at the orange applemare. “I guess this is it, it’s been nice talking to you AppleBlack, but I go do this thing here so bye.” I waved.

“Uh hold up there Ruffcoat, what was it ya said you were doin again?” she said, tugging on my cloak to stop me, practically dragging me to the ground in the process.

“Oh ya, I’m gonna go be an adventurer." I said pulling myself back up. "All I gotta do is follow this stupid map into the forest here and pick up some ancient crown or something. Also I’m supposed to get some pointy swords and stuff while I’m there. I do all that and I get paid a whole 50 bits. Anyway, see ya!” I said trying to wrestle my cloak out of her grip.

“Wait Ruffcoat, that’s the Everfee forest, its dangerous in there!” she said yanking back. "There are timber-wolves in there that can gobble you up in one bite!" Forget what i said about her brother, this one has stupid amounts of strength. I thought, feebly trying to free myself from her grip.

“Please, it’s not timber-wolf season for like two months or so, plus I’ve got a map” I said brandishing the flyer, “What’s the worst that can happen.”

I tugged my cloak again, finally the patch she was holding just ripped free, and before she could grab another piece, I dashed down the path hopefully faster than she could follow. “Wait Ruffcoat!...” she said followed by something else that I didn’t quite make out.

In truth, I was way more scared about this place than she was but I wasn’t going to give up that easily. There’s a lot of creepy stuff in here but it’s not like it was zap apple season when the wolves get really hungry and come over to this side of the forest.

Besides, her and her whole family were always a little…off. Just the other night they were running around clanging pots and pans together shouting at the moon like a bunch of goat-heads.

Author's Note:

Just a note about Ruffcoat's height, standing, he's about head tall as Applejack which fits with whats in the show as sheep are shown to be smaller than ponies.

Anyway, another chapter, another step down the path of shoopdom.

A short chapter as I figure out what to do in the Everfree. I think i have a fun idea for the next chapter and now i think i know how to pull it off.

I'm not sure how frequent i will be with these updates as i'm right now in the middle of taking a very intense 12 week class in the span of 6 and i have to write and format large reports every single week from here on out. Also i combed this chapter for mistakes in the same sense that Darth Helmet combed the desert.

Also if anyone wants to send me, or recommend me some cover-art i'd appreciate it, theres not really much out there for shoops, its almost like they're completely made up.......