• Published 5th May 2016
  • 490 Views, 2 Comments

The Lone Gaurdian - 21latenighter



Throughout the many years of equestria's history, he has been in the background, silently protecting the ponies of equestria. But what will happen when the greatest alicorn of all time, falls to the nightmare spell...

  • ...
 2
 490

the summer sun celebration

All of the ponies stood at the edge of the stage, waiting for Princess Celestia to come out and begin the one of their greatest holidays, the Summer Sun Celebration. Pinkie Pie sat in the front row, silently bouncing in place and humming a familiar song as Applejack sat down beside her. She smelled like a sweaty apple tree, as she had just finished her chores at the farm before catching the train to this years destination of Canterlot. Rarity sat down beside Applejack, and slightly cringed at the smell of her friend, but kept whatever thoughts she had to herself, and instead pulled out a parchment and quill from her saddlebag and continued to work on a piece for her summer line. Rainbow dash hovered just above the ground, waiting to see the wonderbolts make their grand appearance and wow the audience. Though Rainbow was a wonderbolt reserve, she was still awestruck whenever the prestigious team performed. Fluttershy was setting at the end of the group, hankered down as far as she could physically get, so that the crowd couldn't see her.

"Wherever is twilight?" Rarity asked gracefully.

"She is probably in the back with the other princesses, like she is supposed to be," Applejack replied with a bit of country twang in her voice.

"When are the wonderbolts going to come out?" Rainbow asked worriedly.

"Why, are they playing hide and seek?" Pinky asked, grinning ear to ear. Rainbow rolled her eyes, and let out a small giggle that turned into a full out laugh.

Princess Celestia walked slowly out onto the stage, followed by Princess Luna, Cadence, and finally Twilight Sparkle. all the ponies started to shout in joy of seeing the four princesses together, but Celestia held out her hoof for silence. "For many years, everypony has celebrated the summer sun celebration for my defeat of Nightmare moon, But this year we are here to honor another, one who gave his life to protecting equestria. His name is not familiar to most, and some knew him quite well", Celestia said, looking towards Rainbow before continuing. "He went by many names, but all of us knew him as the lone guardian." Princess Celestia said calmly, but it sounded like the speech had been forced. She walked to the front of the stage before stopping a few inches from the edge.

"One year ago in ponyville, we held the summer sun celebration, and as many recall, there was a reappearance of the mare in the moon," the Princess said as she walked down the steps to the front of the stage. "The lone guardian, in a attempt to stop the return of Nightmare Moon and the darkness that came with it, stopped the pony responsible for the dark spell behind Luna's transformation, Nighting Gale. Before he could send her back to Tartarus however, she cast the spell onto him," she said, looking at the audience from the front row. "In a last attempt to stop the spell from taking over, he begged our six heroes to send him to the moon, where he could fight the spell without hurting anypony."

"Before I raise the sun," Celestia said as she made her way back to the stage. "Let us send a gift to the bravest pony that I have ever known," she said as her horn produced a soft white light. "let us send a light to him, to show him that he is not alone in this fight," Celestia said, with a lonely tear streaking down her cheek. the ponies at the celebration produced a soft light that Twilight formed into a ball that she sent towards the moon.

Afterwards, Celestia walked to the center stage, and the celebration could begin. Luna flew gently into the air, and with her alicorn magic, began to lower the moon. She seemed to caress the moon as she lowered it to the horizon. Celestia then rose into the air, and the sun seem to follow her up into the air.

Twilight Sparkle came off the stage and greeted her friends with a smile and a hug. "Can you girls believe its really been a year since he left" Twilight said softly.

"It had to be done sugarcube, or he would've tried to turn equestria into eternal night," applejack said reassuringly. The mane six started walking back to the train and ride back to ponyville, and rest for the day, because as it was custom on the summer sun celebration, no pony had slept the night before.