• Published 26th Apr 2016
  • 305 Views, 5 Comments

TEK: The Series - Jet Fly



Follow the adventures of the Taskforce of Equestrian Knowledge as they continue to protect Equestria from behind the scenes!

  • ...
 5
 305

Wolf

"Ugh, we've been out here for two days. Lets go home!"

"C'mon Vinyl, we're almost to the nearest town. Plus, this was an assignment given directly from the Princess. We have to do our best to see this mission through."

Jet explained as he and his small team traveled through the dense Everfree Forest. Ditzy was forced to walk due to the cramped space on the trail they followed.

"Why couldn't Shade teleport us again?"

Shade sighed.

"For the third time, I've never been to this town. I'd have no idea where to even teleport us to. And we don't wanna risk teleporting into some Timber Wolf nest or Dragon cave or something."

Shade batted a mosquito away and grunted.

"Curse this dang forest! I'm just getting over my phobia and we end up traveling in it for two days, all because of some mysterious disappearances. Why doesn't Celestia just use her 'sun powers' or whatever to burn this entire Forest to a crisp?"

Ditzy shook her head disapprovingly.

"Its not so bad! The Everfree Forest has a lot of cool animals!"

She gasped as a green centipede crawled by. Jet nodded.

"Ditz is right. The Everfree holds many indigenous species. Like that Speed Demon Flyer Centipede for example."

Jet pointed a hoof at the now winged, hissing, incredibly fast and giant green centipede.

"KILL IT! KILL IT SHADE!"

Vinyl yelled while holding Shade, who was also freaking out while firing lasers from his horn at the fast-paced, expertly-dodging insect.

"I'M TRYING! IT'S TOO FAST!"

"HISSS!"

"Will you two stop that!?"

Jet yelled at the scared duo.

"Besides, this is a serious case. Ponies have been disappearing from this upcoming town. They're scared to even leave their houses. This town profits off of trading their natural herbs to other towns and villages. If they can't even walk through the Everfree to trade goods, this town will suffer greatly. Its our job to help these ponies. Lets go."
_______________

"What the heck happened here?"

Shade exclaimed as the present TEK members looked at a destroyed cart. After reaching the town and talking to some of the townsfolk, they followed a trail back into the Everfree where they claim the strange disappearances had been happening. After only ten minutes of walking, they spotted what appeared to be a cart. Whatever its cargo was, and whoever was using it, were both gone.

"Whatever did this was a powerful beast. Vinyl, use your shades to see if you can find any hoof prints or anything else."

Doing as she was told, Vinyl touched her shades and activated their special features.

"No hoof prints. All I can tell you was that this happened a while ago. All traces of who it was and what they were delivering have been lost due to rain and other elements. It must have been weeks since this happened."

"Do you think their okay?"

Ditzy asked nervously. Jet only shook his head.

"I don't know, we can only assume the worst. At this point, all we can do now is try our best to stop this madness. There have been 12 reported disappearances in the past month, all in this general area."

Shade angrily stomped on the ground.

"To think this crap has been going on for so long! I'll make whoever or whatever did this pay!"

Jet placed a hoof on Shade's shoulder.

"That's why we're here. We'll solve this mystery and help these ponies."

"Uh, Jet?"

Jet looked to Vinyl

"Yes Vinyl?"

Adjusting her shades, Vinyl explained.

"I'm picking up a weird aura. Its all over this cart, and it leads into the forest. I think whatever did this left this intense aura."

Jet nodded.

"Then we have a lead. Lead the way Vinyl."

While Vinyl began walking, closely followed by Ditzy, Shade and Jet fell slightly behind to privately discuss the matter.

"Shade, I don't want to scare Vinyl and Ditzy, but whatever did that wasn't alone. All over the cart were giant claw marks of different sizes. That was a group attack."

Shade took in this information and came up with a possible suspect.

"Do you think it was Timber Wolves?"

"I thought about that, but I'm not sure. There are packs in this area, but they usually stay away from the towns. Plus, I don't know how to describe it, but back at that cart, I felt something."

Shade looked intently at Jet.

"What was it?"

Jet's pupils suddenly shrank and his eyes became glossy.

"Although that happened weeks ago, I could still feel it. That incredible murderous intent. That crazed, unaltered hate. Shade, whoever was in front of that cart is gone. No normal pony would stand even the slightest chance against such demented hate. That mysterious feeling, it freaks me out."

Shade began to sweat a little bit from seeing his fearless leader so shaken.

"So what do we do?"

Jet shook his head, returning to normal and looking Shade straight in the eye.

"A fight is inevitable. But when it happens, teleport those two out of danger."

Jet said while tilting his head in the direction of the two chatting mares leading the way. Shade nodded.

"Understood. But what about-"

But he was cut off by a call from Vinyl up front.

"Hey guys, check this out!"

Walking up, Jet and Shade where both shocked by the site that awaited them.
Before them was a large clearing in the forest, but mostly dark due to the treetops blocking the light. But the few streaks that did pierce their way through the thick canopy showed a chaotic scene. All around the area, covering nearly the entire clearing, were what appeared to be broken logs and sticks. Large scratches covered the surrounding trees, and large holes were dug around the area.

"A fight?"

Shade asked as Vinyl analyzed the scene with her shades.

"As crazy as it might sound, yeah, it looks like our mystery beast got into a brawl with something else."

Jet stepped forward.

"Timber Wolves. I've encountered them enough to know their aura. The kidnapping creature got into a fight with an entire pack of Timber Wolves."

Now Ditzy was frightened. Biting her hoofs, she managed to squeak out the million-bit question.

"What could stand up to an entire pack of Timber Wolves? And it looks like the wolves lost..."

Vinyl nodded.

"Ditzy's right. I'm sensing a whole lot of both creatures, but only the cart napper keeps going. The Wolves' aura stops here."

Ditzy was now visibly shaking.

"Uhh… I just remembered! I left the oven on! I'll see you guys later!"

She yelled as she took off into the air. Jet merely sighed as he almost immediately moved in front of her and brought her back. Wrapping a wing around the shaking pony, he reasoned with Ditzy.

"Ditz, the only reason I let you come on this mission is because you wouldn't stop bugging me about it. So now, when things get tough, you'd abandon your team mates?"

Ditzy now looked embarrassed and looked at the ground.

"I'm sorry…"

Jet nodded and looked at Ditzy seriously.

"Trust us. Believe in us. We'll all get out of here safe, I promise."

Now slightly blushing, the mare only managed to whisper.

"Okay…"

"What is up with those two?"

Vinyl asked. Shade just looked at her and shook his head.

"For somepony with all kinds of vision, you sure are blind."

"HEY! What's that supposed to mean!?"

Vinyl yelled at the now walking and chuckling Shade.

"Lets get a move on if we wanna get this done before sundown."

Jet and Ditzy agreed and began making their way through the forest too.
Vinyl stood still and yelled at the walking trio.

"HEY! Shade get your flank back here! Plus you fools are walking in the wrong direction!"

A few hours more of walking led the team to a huge clearing in the forest. But what was in the clearing made everypony tilt their heads in confusion.

"Vinyl, are you sure that this is the place?"

Jet asked as he observed the area. Looking out into the space, one would see what appeared to be large boulders all around it. There where about 15 huge boulders, although some where larger than others. In the middle was a large, rectangular one. But besides that, the clearing was empty. Vinyl nodded, although she herself seemed confused.

"Uh-huh. The aura is all over this place. And its fresh. Whatever it is, its here somewhere."

Jet concentrated all of his magical energy into his eyes, and looked intently at the area. He didn't see anything other than the boulders. Next was his ears. This time he picked up something that made him stop dead in his tracts.

"Guys…I hear 12 heartbeats besides ours… And from the rhythm, I can tell they're pony heartbeats..."

Everypony's mouth dropped.

"You can't possibly be implying that the 12 kidnapped ponies are still alive!?"

Jet nodded to Shade.

"That seems likely. Each is coming from that giant rectangular stone in the center, but let's approach it cautiously. This is most probably a trap. Stay low, and stay quiet."

Each team member nodded, and with that, they cautiously navigated through the big boulders towards the big stone in the middle.

*Something about these large rocks... It seems... familiar. I just can't put my hoof on it…*

Jet thought to himself as they drew closer to the center. They were almost there when suddenly a large *crack!*
echoed throughout the forest. Shade, Vinyl and Jet all turned around instantaneously, prepared to fight whatever would jump out, only to find a blushing Ditzy standing over a large stick now broken in two.

"Hehe... My bad…"

Everypony let out a large sigh as they continued on. Although it probably took only 30 seconds to get to the center, it felt like hours for them. They had no idea what awaited them.

Finally there, TEK walked to the other side of the boulder to the most disturbing thing they'd ever seen.

"My God…"

Shade exclaimed as they reached a cave entrance inside the boulder. Inside were 12 filthy, starving ponies, each looking to be on the verge of death. The cave stunk of must and vomit, clear indications that these ponies where malnourished and starving. All 12 were located in the back of the cave, huddled together. What disturbed Jet the most was that they each had a horrified expression on their faces, as though they were terrified to see them. But one pony had the strength to make a simple gesture.

Lifting his left hoof up, he placed it over his mouth, making the "shhh" gesture. TEK, although confused, got the message and continued silent. Jet looked at his teammates and noticed that they looked like they wanted to break. Ditzy looked like she wanted to throw up, Vinyl was disgusted and looked really sad, and Shade looked so angry it intimidated Jet.

Silently making his way into the cave, Jet approached the frightened ponies, who grouped closer together as he got closer, as if they feared him.

"Hey hey, stay calm, we're here to help."

Jet whispered. This seemed to relieve them somewhat.

"Please, tell me what's going on."

Only one pony whispered back.

"Run."

Jet was officially freaked out now.
What didn't help his nerves was another, louder crack, echoing throughout the forest. He and the rest of TEK looked to Ditzy again, who lifted her hooves up in defense.

*If she didn't do it, then what-*

Suddenly multiple rumbles could be heard throughout the clearing. Each and every boulder stationed in it began to shake and tremble.
Jet froze in sudden realization.

*It...It can't be! They don't live in this area!*

The boulders were getting up, taking forms as they lifted themselves off the ground.
The air was filled with the sounds of rock grinding against rock, and stones falling into place. TEK gathered together at the mouth of the cave to face this new threat. Finally, one of the sentient rocks stopped shaking, and before them all was a form unlike any other.

"Stone Wolves."

Jet whispered to himself. It was huge, averaging at at least two meters in height and three meters in length. Its entire body was composed of grayish rock, and it had the signifying features of a wolf. It had pointed ears, a long snout, and razor-sharp rocks for teeth. Its eyes were a glowing green, and they seemed to leave a trail of green light every time it moved its head. They were each of different sizes, but each was still bigger than a pony, and all 15 were growling madly and slowly creeping in on the four intruders.

Although shocked at first, Jet knew his number one priority was the safety of the other ponies. He looked to Shade, who quickly took the message and nodded. With a flash of blue from his horn, Vinyl and Ditzy disappeared. Jet looked back into the cave where those poor ponies were being held prisoner.

"Shade, how many can you teleport now?"

Shade, while keeping his attention on the upcoming hoard of strange wolf-like creatures, replied to his leader.

"About five now. It'll be a few minute before I can teleport the rest, along with us as well."

"I see. But I'm sure those guys aren't their target. I'm almost certain that they're being stocked up as reserves in case the Stone Wolf pack is ever in need of food."

Shade, who was clearly angry about his kind being treated in such a way, was still cautiously taking steps back each time the pack stepped forward.

"So, got a plan?"

Shade asked while stepping back once more. Jet, who was trying to keep a bold face amidst the intense growling and snarling, nodded.

"These are Stone Wolves, a practically extinct species only found in the Everfree Forest. Up until now, I thought that they only lived way up north, where their tough bodies could endure the cold, but apparently not. Basically they're Timber Wolves, but made of rocks. Why don't you try out that new technique?"

Shade scoffed.

"But that would take a while to charge up. Not as long as the Adrenaline Rush, but still. Plus, I'm tired from walking all this time."

"Shade, do you trust me?"

Shade looked kinda nervous now.

"Yeah but-"

"Then prove it."

Shade looked directly at his friend and saw his determined blue eyes staring back.

"I got your back Shade."

Shade was speechless, but not paralyzed. He knew now what he had to do. Running to the back of the cave, Shade began charging up a spell with a slight smile.

*That crazy jerk. Trying to hog all the fighting for himself.*

Jet looked back at the approaching pack of living rock as he prepared himself.

*Okay, so for a few minutes, I'm gonna have to protect Shade at all costs. If this works, we can rescue these ponies and leave with our flanks intact.*

The pack of wolves were only a meter or so away. Jet could feel their breath against him. Cracking his neck, Jet smirked.

"Okay, who's first?"
___________

"THOSE JERKS! THEY JUST TELEPORTED US AWAY FROM THE FIGHT!"

Vinyl screamed in the canopy. While the angry vanilla unicorn stomped in a circle with steam bursting out of her ears, a worried Ditzy looked off into the depths of the forest.

"I hope their okay…"

Vinyl looked up at her concerned friend and scoffed.

"Pffff, please. Those jerks can get beaten to a pulp for all I care. It's like they didn't trust us enough to let us fight with them."

Ditzy looked down sadly.

"But…what WOULD we have done to help? We don't have any weapons. I don't have Jet's Wind Blades and you don't know any attack spells. All I have is this small muffin I hid in my mane..."

Reaching into her mane, and fidgeting around in it for a few seconds, she pulled out a small brown pastry in her hooves. While Ditzy happily munched on it, Vinyl looked at her with confusion, and then disgust as the realization dawned on her.

"...You've had a muffin in your mane for three days?"
_________________

Jet was having a really hard time with these crazy wolves. He was constantly flying, trying to dodge their multiple attacks. Jet was a fast flyer, so keeping ahead of them was no problem, but the space he was in was very limited. Not to mention that these 15 stone wolves were everywhere! When he dodged one from the front, there were two more behind him.

*Dang it! I'm starting to get tired! I can't keep this up for too long...*

Jet thought as he flew above three other Wolves.

*I can't just stay above them either! As soon as I reach a certain height they immediately turn their attention to Shade. I've had to tackle five who got too close to him already. And my wind blades aren't really doing any damage. Their rock bodies are much tougher than normal stone. All I can do is hold off until he's finished charging.*

Just then, two wolves jumped him from the front. to evade the airborn predators, Jet flew to the left, just to be attacked from the side by two more. Jet saw his chance and flew underneath them... right into the claws of another one. He dodged, but he wasn't fast enough, and Jet grunted in pain as the merciless wolf took off a large handfull of feathers from his right wing. Immediately his flight became erratic.

*Great. I've lost flight stability. All I can do now is take up a defensive position.*

Jet thought as he dropped and ran to cover the cave. The ponies inside had been watching intently and horrifically at the one-sided fight. Taking up the front of the cave, Jet looked back to see his friend in deep concentration. He still needed time.

The hungry wolves began to circle the entrance, while still wary of Jet's constant stream of Wind Blades.
His left wing was moving faster than the eye can follow, unleashing a flurry of powerful air streams, while he held his injured right wing close to his body.

*I'm running out of juice, fast. I won't be able to keep this up much longer.*

The Wolves seemed to realize this, as they felt his weaponized air currents become weaker and weaker, until it became little more than a breeze. Seeing their chance, one Wolf took a chance and rushed Jet. Jet got into battle position and readied himself for physical battle, a fight he knew he couldn't win.

*I have to protect Shade and these Ponies... no matter what!*

The wolf pounced high into the air, baring his huge, sharpened fangs, ready to kill. Then suddenly, a giant red blur tackled it out of nowhere, sending them both flying into a nearby brush. Both Jet's and the Wolf pack's attention turned to the intensely rustling bushes and shrubbery. After about four seconds, a short, pained dog cry sounded throughout the clearing, and then silence. The bushes rustled once more, and out came a clawed foot, followed by a reptilian body, mostly red with a few black streaks, with a long tail and snout. Jet immediate recognized it.

"A VELOCIRAPTOR!?"

"Hey jerks, I don't particularly like those who kidnap ponies and keep them in conditions like that. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to teach you a lesson."

The Celestia-sized dinosaur said to the angry Wolf pack. Jet was more concerned that 1) there was a dinosaur still alive, and 2) it could speak.

The Wolves didn't seem to care, so the 14 that were left rushed him, but it too didn't seem to care. It was actually slightly smiling. Immediately, the prehistoric beast was covered in bites and scratches from the Wolves, and it looked as though he was already done for until Jet saw his wounds heal automatically.

*What the mess is going on?*

Suddenly the raptor went on the offensive, slashing his claws against the swarm of wolves. Jet could hardly believe his eyes when he saw a Wolf's entire head blown to bits by a single swipe. While the Wolves swarmed over his body, desperately trying to rip him to shreds, the dinosaur too was slashing, scratching, and biting at them. Jet watched in awe as the intense, non-stop group fight continued.

The Wolves were all over the Velociraptor, but every time they did damage, it healed right back as if it had never been dealt. Slowly, the Wolf who had its face obliterated got up, reformed its body, and jumped back into the fray of claws, teeth, and bodies. The other wolf got out from the bush and also joined back in. For every bite they took of him, he destoyed one of them, but then they too would regenerate again, so the fight never lost its intensity. The entire forest seemed to be ripping with pained howls, growls, and other primal sounds. Suddenly, amongst the flurry, he heard the Velociraptor's voice.

"UH- *crunch* PONY GUY, I'M GETTING KINDA TIRED OVER HERE! REQUESTING BACK UP! OW! THATS MY TAIL YOU FLOPPING-"

And the fight continued. Jet, although confused, listened and turned back to his friend. His horn seemed to be like a flashlight, filling the whole cave with blue light. Reaching up and lightly slapping his friend, he called out to him.

"Shade, times up. You gotta use it NOW."

Opening his eyes, Shade began to pant and wheeze. Beads of sweat ran down both of their bodies.

"*Pant* It's * wheeze* finished..."

"Then nows the time to use it. C'mon!"

Leading his friend outside, Shade's eyes became as large as dinner plates when he saw the giant dinosaur fighting wolves.

"What the…"

"RAPTOR GUY! GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

The Velociraptor looked at them, and pushed away the Wolves that were on him and made an impressive leap to their position. The Wolves wasted no time as they ran back to the cave. But this time, Shade was ready for them.
Lowering his horn, Shade fired a soccer-ball sized, white orb, right at the incoming pack. The Raptor simply looked at the small sphere and laughed.

"What the flop is that supposed to-"

Then one of the Wolves touched it. Immediately upon contract, the orb exploded… or more accurately, expanded. It quickly grew into a huge, white dome. It made the very earth tremble, and made the trees rustle like crazy.
___________________
A kilometer away
___________________

"The heck is going on?"

Vinyl asked when she felt the ground tremble slightly under her hooves.
_________________

The huge white dome created a torrent of wind around it, creating a powerful scene of destruction. After a few seconds, though, the white dome slowly faded away, and the wind calmed down. The living fossil was awestruck. His jaw dropped when he saw what was left.
All that had been inside the dome of light was completely obliterated, and unfortunately for the Wolves, they were no exception. All that remained was a giant, scorched hole in the ground, with constant streams of smoke coming from it.

"Whoa…"
_________________

After Shade took care of the Wolves, he, Jet, a Velociraptor, and the captive ponies made their way back to the town. Along the way they met Vinyl and Ditzy, who gave Shade and Jet an earful and a few bruises.

After dropping the ponies back off at their town, and getting them to the local hospital, TEK waited for Shade to regain his strength so he could teleport them back to Ponyville. While they waited though, Jet went to speak with the dinosaur who saved them.

"Hey, thanks. I don't know who you are, but you really saved all our lives back there."

The raptor, who clearly loved the praise, tried to play it cool, and held up a claw.

"No problem. I was also investigating the recent disappearances when I heard some fighting going on. Turns out some ponies beat me to the nest."

Jet was still curious about one thing, however.

"Do you know why there are Stone Wolves in the south? I thought they were only sighted up north."

The raptor shrugged.

"I've heard those guys where making a crazy comeback. They came from the verge of extinction to actually having an overpopulation problem. I heard they were pushing other species out to make more room for themselves. "

Jet thought back to the Timber Wolf remains TEK came across.

*So that's what that was. It was a battle for territory...*

"But, there can't be too many packs around here, though I wouldn't count it as the last. Welp, I gotta go. Later, pony."

Jet smiled and waved his hoof.

"Later dinosaur."

The raptor grew a smug smile.

"The name's Raptor. We'll meet again."

And with that, Raptor ran off into the forest, leaving no trace of his existence. Jet watched him go.

"Raptor the Raptor, huh?"

"Hey Jet! Ready to go home?"

Turning around Jet was greeted by his smiling team members. Shade was up and fully charged continued

"Because I sure am."

Jet smiled back and nodded.

"Yeah, I gotta get my wing treated."

He pointed to his injured right wing. Vinyl whispered to herself.

"...Well maybe you'd be fine if you'd let us fight..."

"I heard that."

"CURSE YOU JET!"

Jet sighed.

"Vinyl, will you ever let this go?"

"NOT UNTIL Y-"

Suddenly they were gone, leaving the small town behind.

~Mission Complete~

Author's Note:

This story, like its prequel, is co-authored by Shade Vortex.

Shout-out to raptor da raptor and BronyBlazeFire, whose cameos have appeared in both our stories now, and special thanks to PaulAsaran. Your advice has really helped improve our writing.