• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 1,758 Views, 38 Comments

Starlight's Adventures Through Season 6. - EclipseSight



Starlight is not just sitting idle while her friends go off on adventures. She's doing her own thing and getting into her own adventures. These are her stories. What problems or joys will the former villain face?

  • ...
0
 38
 1,758

Friendships Forged in Starlight. "Gauntlet of Fire"

The sky was blue and the sun was reaching its peak. The pegasi had cleared most of the clouds, though enough remained to dampen the midday heat somewhat. Starlight was grateful for this, because apple bucking was certainly hard work. Panting heavily, she rested herself against the tree she had been trying to clear of apples. Being in the shade helped immensely but even so sweat was dripping from her brow. Starlight raised a hoof to wipe it off then cast her eyes towards Applejack. The farm pony was bucking trees like they it was second nature and seemed as fresh as when they had begun. They had both been up since the break of dawn but as of now Starlight was the one feeling it. Unable to stop herself feeling a little jealous of Applejack's endurance, Starlight gave herself a shake to loosen her aching muscles and got back to work.

Spike had arranged to help Rarity mine gems for her latest creation all day and Twilight was probably entertaining Princess Celestia and Princess Luna back at the castle by now. Starlight had decided to make herself scarce to allow the princesses time to catch up as well as give Spike some alone time with his favourite unicorn. She chuckled a little. Thinking back on it as she was now, perhaps apple bucking had not been the best activity to partake in. Using magic would make the whole process a stroll in the park but Starlight knew all about Applejack's stubbornness. Whether the apple farmer would say it directly or not, she much preferred that no magic be used in her farm work.

“A little hard work never hurt anyone anyway,” Starlight muttered under her breath, taking another swift buck at the tree.

A dull ache was beginning to form just below her knees. Constantly smacking her hooves into objects as sturdy as trees was beginning to take a toll. Every strike caused her a little more discomfort in addition to the pressing fatigue. Applejack looked over to check on the unicorn's progress and a small smile crept onto her face. She was reminded of her own first attempts at apple bucking. The job was a physically demanding one, especially for a unicorn who was much more comfortable with magic than her own body.

“Let's take a break,” Applejack called over in her thick southern tone. “Ya look like ya could use one.”

“Perhaps just a little,” Starlight chuckled, pushing her mane out of her eyes and straightening up. “This is much tougher than you make it look.”

“Ah shucks sugarcube, I just happen to have a lot of practise is all. Plus we earth ponies have a bit of an advantage with work like this.”

“That's true enough. Still it was better than before when I could barely get one apple out of the tree. I think I might have managed four at one point.”

“Yeah I was watching, ya almost got five but the last apple just didn't fall for ye this time,” Applejack grinned. “Anyway let's get these apples into storage and cool off a bit.”

“Sounds good to me,” Starlight nodded, arranging the baskets on a tether across her back so the apple laden containers hung on each side of her body.

Similarly loaded with the fruits of their labour, Applejack lead Starlight towards the apple storage building. Once the apples were put away safely the pair made their way to the Apple family home. There had been a time when Applejack would have been on the attack if Starlight was even within sight of her home. Now though she led the other mare into the kitchen without hesitation and poured her a cool glass of water.

“Thanks,” Starlight said as she took the glass in her magic.

“Sure thing,” Applejack replied, pouring her own glass and settling at the table.

Starlight sat herself down across from the earth pony and took a small drink. She still felt the remnants of the burning heat from her exertion on her skin. Fervently, she hoped that she was not flushing too much, or that she did not look too bedraggled. Applejack made no comment on her appearance, however bad it was, and instead asked her.

“So, you gonna head back after this break or do you wanna do some more apple bucking?”

“As much as I would love to help I feel like if I do any more apple bucking my legs will be complaining for a week,” Starlight chuckled.

A slight wince twitched her features as she shifted her back legs. Her muscles protested at every movement and her joins still ached from the blunt impact trauma they had been put through She would need to have a hot bath to soothe herself, or find a spell that would do the same thing. Applejack nodded slowly and said.

“Yeah, probably for the best. Don't wanna do too much and wear yerself out. Already done that mahself and it's no fun.”

“I feel like you told me that story before. Didn't it involve something about baked bads?”

Applejack laughed heartily. “Yeah it sure did. I was stubborn as a mule back then. Still am if I'm honest.”

“Which you are,” Starlight shot back, stifling a giggle behind a hoof.

“Fair. Well when ya finish up I'll go out and finish that field then I can catch you around. Spike's probably gonna spend all day with Rarity. Dunno how long the princesses will be but I'm sure they wouldn't mind having you around.”

“Maybe not. I just feel a little nervous around them.”

“Yeah I can tell. Take it from me, being nervous around the princesses is something everypony is at one point and no pony has to be. They're about the nicest ponies you could meet. No matter what kind of background you have.”

“Yeah...I know...” Starlight muttered, lowering her head.

“Just remember Starlight, Princess Luna went through the same thing you did. Everypony makes mistakes but it's also in every pony to redeem themselves. I know you might be sick of hearing this by now so I'll keep it brief. Every pony who knows you now knows that you're a right nice mare who's good to be around.”

“Thanks Applejack, I'm trying at least.”

“Which is all you can do. Now, how about we talk about other subjects. Like how you managed to beat Thunderlane in a race.”

Starlight felt herself chuckle. Her spirits were lifted considerably, both by Applejack's words and by the memory that her tactful change of topic brought up.

“Well, I guess when you practice with the fastest flier around you improve rather quickly,” Starlight began. She took a small sip of water to wet her throat before continuing.

“Anyway, Thunderlane saw me racing with Rainbow Dash yesterday and he was a little confused at first. When I explained what was going on he wanted to give me a shot. So I took him on. Good thing Rainbow and I had just started for the day or I would probably have been too spent to be a challenge. When racing Rainbow I'd been pushing myself to get faster, though it wasn't really a race since she could beat me going backwards. Thunderlane was a challenge but I poured everything I had into it. Something just made me want to win, maybe because victory was actually within my grasp, I dunno. Anyway I bested him by maybe a few inches using every bit of magic I had available to me. Rainbow had to carry me back down to the ground.”

Finishing with a chuckle, Starlight said. “I think Thunderlane was a little surprised at losing to a levitating unicorn. Not sure I could replicate the feat. I'm almost certain he was going easy on me.”

Applejack smirked. “I think another race would say for sure. Though maybe when you've rested a little. Next time I wanna watch.”

“I'll let you know,” Starlight promised, finishing up her drink.

She took the now empty glass to the sink. After cleaning, drying and putting it away Starlight turned to Applejack.

“I think I'll be going now so you can get back to work. See you later.”

“Thanks for yer help sugarcube,” Applejack nodded. “I'll walk you out then go to the fields.”

The orange farm pony stood up and washed her own glass. Both mares walked out of the house and into the beating sun once again. Applejack waved to Starlight before turning off back to the fields.

“You have fun now, and try not to strain yourself too much. Ya wanna move tomorrow.”

“I won't,” Starlight smiled, before walking towards the castle.

Walking through Ponyville on aching legs was slow but uneventful. A yawn escaped Starlight, forcing her to a quick stop as the sudden symptom of tiredness rolled through her. Once she was able to move again she commented.

“Between racing Thunderlane, staying up with Twilight to go over friendship lessons, writing that letter to Sunburst and then bucking apples with Applejack I think I've worn myself a bit thin. And that was just yesterday. Friendship is fun but it sure can be hard work,” she said to herself.

Amused, Starlight added lightly,

“Though I don't think I'll ever be as tired as the day I agree to help Pinkie Pie plan a party. Even watching her is exhausting.”

Unbeknownst to Starlight her good spirits were about to be shattered. Pushing the heavy doors open, she stepped inside. The castle felt quiet...crushingly quiet. The stillness pressed down on her heavily. Shivering at the sudden chill which she knew was more than just the temperature change caused by coming into the shade, Starlight picked up her pace. Ignoring the protest from her limbs she forced herself into a trot towards the centre of the castle. She was unsure about why the sudden burst of nervousness overcame her. This was most certainly not the first time she had come in to an empty castle. Most of the time it was about as good as empty if one considered just how few occupants actually lived within its walls.

Cold sweat was forming all over Starlight's form, adding to the intense chill she was feeling already. Her heart was racing, to the point where she could practically feel it hammering against her ribcage. By the time she came to the huge double doors of the throne room she had worked herself up into a frenzy. Had something happened? Was everyone alright? Those were just some of the questions were whirring through her mind as she magicked the huge doors open.

Everything looked normal, nothing was disturbed. Releasing a breath that she did not know she was holding, Starlight moved into the room. Hobbling slightly, she made her way over to the huge crystalline round table and surrounding thrones. A flash of yellowing white on the otherwise uniform surface of the table caught her attention. Starlight's horn glowed with magic as she grasped the note with levitation and pulled it towards her. Her eyes widened as she read the note, and her horror only grew with each word.

“Starlight,

We're going to be away for the day. Spike was called by the dragon lord and if he doesn't answer the call he won't stop itching and glowing. Rarity is with us as well. We should be hopefully back by the days end, and if not definitely tomorrow. Don't worry about us. If you have any problems I'm sure the others can help you. See you later!

Twilight”

The note floated slowly and gently downwards once Starlight was finished reading. Spike was going to go and see a dragon lord? He was being summoned by a dragon lord? No...that could not be happening, they could not be going there. The unicorn backed away from the slip of paper, now trembling violently. She closed her eyes tightly, tensing like a drawn bow as images of raging fires and choking smoke filled her. Louder and more vibrant the images became, in the background the deep booming laugh of a dragon. Without a sound, the paper found a resting place on the cool floor.

Starlight's blue eyes snapped open. Stalking around the note she moved over to the table. Planting her front hooves firmly on the surface she fired a beam of her teal magic at the centre. The energy activated the map and Equestria sprang to life under her hooves. Scanning the map furiously, Starlight found what she was looking for. East and a little bit south lay the dragon lands. Trepidation filled Starlight when she noticed the huge volcano at the heart of the dragon lands. Of course dragons would live in one of the most inhospitable parts of Equestria.

Worry clutched with icy talons at Starlight's still racing heart. Twilight, Rarity and Spike were travelling right into a volcano to see a dragon lord. How many dragons would really call themselves Lord? Pushing off with her hooves she launched herself out of the throne room. Nothing would stop her. Even her own body burning incessantly only served to infuriate Starlight, pushing herself to gallop even faster. To the land of dragons she would go, unless body and magic betrayed her first.

Several ponies turned their heads at the sound of the huge violet doors of the Castle of Friendship bursting open. None dared to apprehend or even question the lilac unicorn who came racing out from the depths of the castle. It was best to just get on with their day and hope that everything was well. Whatever was going on, they were probably powerless to help anyway.

Upon seeing that there was not already a train at the station Starlight let out a wordless scream. Having not memorised the train schedule at all she had no idea when the next train that would be travelling that way would be. It could be hours or it could be a few minutes. She also had no way of knowing the exact time Twilight, Spike and Rarity had left. Somehow she had to catch them up. Drawing on her still recovering magic reserves the unicorn lifted herself into the air and sped to the east. Using the tracks as a guide Starlight flew, the wind whipping and tugging at her mane and tail. Her eyes streamed with tears as they were pelted by the vicious air. Angling her gaze downwards provided some respite against the winds. Keeping up her reckless pace she charged ahead, not knowing if she was already too late.

Not long after Starlight had left, Applejack was able to finish up her apple bucking for the day. Being able to work on her own let the mare move at her own pace. While she enjoyed the unicorn's company and enthusiasm, Applejack could work much faster without her. As she was moving the last of the apples to storage a familiar buzzing sounded from her flank. Turning, she saw her cutie mark, three red apples, glowing and pulsating. The map was calling her to it. That meant there was a friendship problem somewhere. Grateful that there were no pressing events she had to attend to this time, Applejack deposited the apples and secured the storage house before trotting towards the castle.

By the time the farm pony reached the map, Rainbow Dash was already there. It made sense, the map had so far called no less than two of them at a time. Perhaps because it took friendship to solve a problem and you needed at least two for that. Rainbow and Applejack both presented their glowing cutie marks.

“Wonder where we're being sent this time,” Applejack said, watching as an image of her cutie mark peeled from her flank and started to float towards the map.

“Hopefully somewhere amazing! With really horrific things to fight!” Rainbow cheered, using her wings to hover in the air as she punched her hooves at imaginary villians.

“Heh, I'd think it would send Twilight if that was the case. Not that it ever has been the case,” Applejack snorted. “Looks like we're headed not that far outside Ponyville. Map's pointing to a forest just east of Dodge City."

“Awesome! We can get a train right there! Next one leaves in ten minutes.” Rainbow grinned, starting to fly towards the exit.

Applejack made after her, but stopped suddenly when she felt something under her hoof. Lifting her leg, she spotted a small note on the ground. Lifting it to eye level, she started to read. Realisation dawned on her as she quickly turned back to the map to check her theory.

“Rainbow! Forget the train!” she called.

Rainbow froze in mid air and turned back to the earth pony. Applejack's expression was hard as stone and her eyes determined.

“Think you're strong enough to give me a lift?”

“Am I? Of course I am!” Rainbow boasted. “What's the hurry?”

“I'm not right certain, but I think Starlight saw this note and tried to follow after them. Twilight, Rarity and Spike are in the dragon kingdom. That young mare was exhausted when she left me today, she probably drove herself into the ground and ended up stranded in that forest which is right on the way. The earlier train to Dodge was already gone by the time she left the orchard.”

Rainbow gulped. Steeling herself, she landed next to Applejack. Her own face now mirrored Applejack's stony determination.

“Get on!”

Applejack nodded and positioned herself on Rainbow's back. It was difficult to get a secure hold while leaving the pegasus' wings free to move. She eventually managed to find a secure position. Once her passenger was on, Rainbow took off as fast as she dared. Carrying full grown ponies was not something she usually did for long periods of time but if Applejack was right then the train would be too slow.

The extra weight made it tricky for Rainbow Dash to balance, but she was not the fastest flier in Equestria for nothing. After completing the Sonic Rainboom, carrying her friend through the sky was only a minor inconvenience. Throughout the journey Applejack was doing all she could to hold on for dear life. Despite knowing that even if she fell Rainbow would catch her effortless, she would rather not delay their journey by even a moment. Starlight could be in serious trouble, if her assumptions were true. If she was wrong, then she would personally make Rainbow Dash as much cider as she could drink in a week for this.

The day was still young when the two friends came to the forest indicated by the map. It was a rather small forest, nothing compared to the foreboding presence of the Everfree Forest. Nevertheless, this was where they were meant to be. After only a few minutes, Applejack's eyes fell upon the sight she had been dreading.

“Down there!” she yelled, pointing with a hoof towards a small break in the green treeline.

“On it!” Rainbow called back, having seen the same thing as the earth pony.

Light as a feather the cyan pegasus touched down in the dirt, skilfully avoiding the tree branches on the descent. Applejack quickly shoved her hat back on her head and leapt off Rainbow's back. Together the pair forced a path towards their fallen friend. Starlight was laying face down in the dirt, surrounded by undergrowth and towering trees. The mare's flanks were scratched and her mane and tail were tangled full of twigs and leaves. Most of the tears in her coat were still weeping lightly, red and angry against a lilac background. Her eyes were closed, and her body was limp. Light breaths caused her sides to rise and fall. Both Rainbow and Applejack let out heavy sighs of relief at that.

Placing a hoof on the lilac mare's shoulder, Applejack tried to rouse her. Rainbow meanwhile was slowly untangling her lower half from the undergrowth. From what the pegasus could see, Starlight had crashed through the canopy and then tried to drag herself through the undergrowth until her body had given out as her magic had. Unable to move any further she had lost consciousness.

“She's free,” Rainbow said after numerous long, arduous minutes.

Rubbing her now scratched hooves, Rainbow turned to Applejack.

“Doesn't look all that serious,” she said. “Just minor scratches and some bruising. She might have winded herself with the fall but I don't think anything is broken.”

“That's good...” Applejack sighed. “I wonder why she freaked out so badly. I'd be worried too if I knew that's where the others were going, but...”

“This is crazy,” Rainbow finished. “C'mon, we better get to Dodge. We probably didn't outpace the train by that much. By the time we get there it should be at the station. I can't carry both of you, however much I'd want to.”

“Okay. Can you get her on my back?” Applejack asked, squatting down so she was lower to the ground. The thick undergrowth tickled her underbelly as she did so.

Rainbow nodded and used her hooves to gently manipulate Starlight's form onto Applejack's strong back. The earth pony stayed completely still until Rainbow was sure that Starlight was secure. Once finished, Rainbow backed away and took to the air once again.

“Let's get out of here, I'll find a path for you from up here.”

Twenty minutes later and the trio were on a train back to Ponyville. Rainbow Dash had found a blanket left behind on one of the seats. As long as they left it on the train she reasoned that it wouldn't be stealing. Gingerly, she wrapped Starlight in the soft fabric. The exhausted mare was laying across the full length of one seat, still sound asleep. Watching over her from the opposing seat were her rescuers. Applejack sighed and turned to Rainbow Dash.

“I wish our marks would glow. I'm one hundred percent sure this is what we were sent for, but...”

“If it isn't then the map needs to be more clear,” Rainbow huffed, folding her hooves. “Starlight was exactly where the map was sending us. That's gotta be it. Anyway it's not like we could just leave her there and keep searching for friendship problems.”

“You're right, for now let's just focus on getting back to Ponyville,” Applejack replied.

Rainbow opened her mouth to say something but cut herself off when Starlight began to stir. Both sets of eyes snapped towards the unicorn. The air suddenly became heavy. If Starlight panicked or struggled then there would be nothing either of them could do to stop her. They would just have to hope her magic had not yet begun to regenerate.

The first thing Starlight noticed was that she was warm. Everything felt heavy, even her eyelids. She could barely open them to be able to see her surroundings. No longer was she in a forest, she was in a small room of some sort. Underneath her felt soft and comforting, nothing was digging into her flanks any more. The burning scratches remained, as did the dull throbbing of her bruising. Her head felt like a snake was coiled around it, squeezing as tightly as possible. Groaning loudly, she tried to force herself into an upright position. A pair of orange hooves gently but firmly stopped her efforts.

“Lay down sugarcube, don't strain yourself any more.”

“W-what...? Applejack...” Starlight choked out, struggling to form the words. “Where are we?”

“On the train back to Ponyville. Yer safe now.”

“B-but we have to...”

“No, we don't. You just have to rest. You pushed yourself to breaking point. Everything's spent. Just lay down, please. Everything will be fine.”

“No, you...you don't understand,” Starlight began, only to fall back to the cushioned seat and pass out into darkness once more.

Holding onto the mare's limp form, Applejack sighed slowly. Starlight was worked up about something. Her own worry was growing within her, planted by the seed of Starlight's own. Turning to Rainbow told her that the pegasus was feeling the same way. Whatever Starlight knew, or thought she knew, could make the dragon lands a much more dangerous place than they first believed. Applejack yearned to hear more; she yearned to wake Starlight up and demand an explanation, she yearned to turn around and continue to the dragon lands to find out what was going on. Her friends could be in horrible danger. However, she knew what she had to do. She had to make sure Starlight got home safe and trust in Twilight, Rarity and Spike to get home safe themselves.

Feeling helpless, she found herself simply pulling twigs and leaves from Starlight's mane. Giving her hooves something to do calmed her nerves. She heard rather than saw Rainbow walking over to her. Wordlessly the speedster started on the unicorn's tail. Silently the pair worked, side by side while sharing in each other's emotions. Before long the Ponyville stop was approaching. Rainbow folded the blanket back on the seat she had found it before once more helping Applejack get Starlight onto her back.

“I'll get Starlight to bed, you go and see if Nurse Redheart is available.” Applejack said, orientating herself towards the castle.

Rainbow nodded and sped off towards the hospital. Moving as fast as she could without jostling her passenger Applejack made her way towards the castle. A soft whimper signalled that Starlight was rousing herself for a second time.

“We're in Ponyville now,” Applejack whispered, unsure if Starlight could even hear her yet. “I'm taking you to go to the castle then we'll get you to bed. Rainbow's away to get the nurse.”

Her words were met with silence, but Starlight was getting a little more restless. Not wanting the mare to fully wake while on her back Applejack picked up the pace. Once in Starlight's room Applejack laid the mare down on the bed. Just in time too, Starlight's eyes cracked open and she turned to look at the farm mare.

“Applejack...I'm...I'm sorry,” she murmured, her voice weak.

“It's okay,” Applejack assured her, biting back the question she desperately wanted to ask. “Just get some rest. Rainbow should be back soon.”

Starlight knew what Applejack wanted. It was obvious, written all over her face. Gathering up her strength, Starlight let herself talk. The memory was painful but Applejack's worry was apparent. She had already started down the path, and to withhold the information now would be wrong. No matter how hard this would be, she had to do it.

“I-it...it happened a few years ago...”

“You don't need to say. Don't hurt yourself.”

“I'll be fine...” Starlight whispered. “Please...just...just listen, I can't fight you. I need to say this. You deserve...need to know.”

“Okay,” Applejack said softly, falling silent and moving a little closer to Starlight so she could listen.

Starlight took a deep breath, wetting her lips slightly with her tongue before continuing.

“It was a few years ago, and the town I created was going fine, perfectly I thought...but one day he appeared, a dragon. He was huge, and unstoppable. All he wanted was to destroy, and he found the town. He...he burned everything. I tried, to hold him off. The villagers thought I was using a staff but it was my own magic. Nothing was working and everything was burning, the burning. I could smell it, I could hear it and I could feel it. Everything I...everything I had worked for was burning... the ponies were terrified...they..they...”

Here Starlight halted, her dry throat forcing rough hacking coughs to assault her. The fit of coughs lasted for only a few moments but even this made her breathing heavy and ragged in her weakened state. Applejack could barely believe it. No more than three hours ago, they had been sharing a silly story about an inconsequential race. Now Starlight was trying to force out a tragic tale while her body rebelled against her. Before Applejack could say anything Starlight managed to cough out one last sentence.

“He, kept calling himself...lord, and...I...I,”

After that she was unable to continue. Nothing she could do would force the words out. Every attempt only made her cough even more violently. Unconsciousness threatened to take her once again. Rainbow burst into the room at that moment, followed by Nurse Redheart. Seeing the situation, the white pony barked.

“Okay! Both of you, get me as much water as you can, then close the door on your way out.”

Neither Rainbow or Applejack said anything against the demands instead they only hurried to meet them. Starlight was immediately set upon by the frantic Nurse, who checked her over with firm but gentle hooves. After the water had been delivered, Nurse Redheart got to work on the gashes littering her flanks. The stinging intensified as she was cleaned but Starlight was unable to complain even if she wanted to. Nurse Redheart was a professional; keeping pain to the minimum was part of her work.

She gently started to cover Starlight's wounds now that they had been cleaned. All the while Starlight was staring into space. Applejack knew what she needed to know now, and hopefully everything would be okay. The visions of her village were still raging through her mind, as they had been in her waking moments since reading the letter. Her story had only brought them back, stronger and more vivid. No matter what she could do all she could hear and see were ponies choking and screaming in terror. The dragon was rampaging behind her eyes, laughing at her inability to stand against him. Tears now flowed freely down her face and the heavy sobs shook her body just as the coughs had. Closing her eyes did not help, no matter how tightly she tried to close them, the visions remained.

Nurse Redheart sighed and cast a pitying glance down at the unicorn. Whatever was going on, it had upset the mare to the point of running herself half way across Equestria and into the ground. With a sigh she reached into her bag and pulled out a small leafy plant. Breaking a piece off she dropped the leaf into a glass of water and stirred. Once the water had turned a very pale green she held it to Starlight's lips.

“Take this dear...you'll feel better.”

Starlight silently sipped at the tinged water, with Nurse Redheart helping her through the process. Once she had consumed enough, Nurse Redheart placed the glass back onto the bedside table. Starlight started to feel sleep overtake her, a soft pressing warmth that washed away all of her feeling. Even the fiery images began to fade, leaving nothing but darkness. For the third time that day the mare slipped into the blackness of sleep, a much more peaceful one than before. Now that her patient was still, Nurse Redheart was able to get back to work.

Outside, Applejack had filled Rainbow in on the details. Their marks had activated, signalling the end of her task. That was one less thing to worry about at least. The instant she had finished Rainbow had sped off. Unlike Starlight, Rainbow was fairly fresh and used to making long journeys in the air. Her making it there was not the worry. While she had ensured Applejack that all she was going to do was warn everyone and get them out, this was Rainbow they were talking about. Brashness was her middle name and the last dragon she had met she had kicked in the face. Hopefully it would not come to that. There were hundreds of dragons and there was no guarantee it was the same one that Starlight had met. Fervently, Applejack hoped with all her being that it was not.

Almost an hour later the sound of a door opening made Applejack perk her ears. Nurse Redheart walked out into the hallway, gently closing the door behind her. Looking towards Applejack, the nurse tried to allay her worries.

“She's exhausted, and sleeping. I gave her an herb to keep her out for a while. Just let her wake up in her own time. Everything should be fine once she's rested. Though you'd best keep an eye on her just in case. Any problems come and get me straight away.”

“Understood. Thanks Nurse Redheart.”

The nurse nodded. “I can find my own way out. You can see her if you wish but I stress, do not wake her.”

“I won't.” Applejack said gently, pushing open the door and peeking her head in.

Starlight was tucked neatly into bed. She was facing the door with a peaceful expression, marred only by the band aids and bandages pressed onto the cuts she had gathered. Her mane was out of place and messy but thanks to their efforts on the train free of any debris. Applejack thought back on the story, a dragon had attacked the town and Starlight had defended it. It did not make her actions right but now it was a little more clear. Why she had went to such lengths to protect her town against the farm pony and her friends and her rage at finally losing it. Closing the door as quietly as she could, Applejack settled down against the wall. Here she would stay until someone came. Someone had to be here for when Starlight woke up, and for now that someone would be her. Being alone against a dragon must have been terrifying, even for such a powerful unicorn. If Applejack had anything to say about it, she would not be alone against him again.

Rainbow Dash had never flown so fast for so long since retrieving Spitfire in time for the Wonderbolts show. This time was much more desperate and that spurred her to greater speeds. Crossing the distance faster than anything else would, she came upon the huge volcano. There was a gathering of dragons for sure, though her friends were not among them. Fearing the worst, Rainbow readied to dash at the dragons and demand answers. The one sitting on the rock in front of the others was the biggest she had ever seen. That was probably the lord. Lord or not he would pay if her friends were hurt.

A glimpse of white halted her reckless dash before it began. Down below, walking away and looking perfectly safe, were her friends. Angling herself downwards she touched down in front of them. Startled, the three backed up from the frazzled pegasus. Twilight was the first to speak, but only after a short moment of stunned silence.

“Rainbow? What are you doing here? Is everything okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, but we thought you were all in trouble,” Rainbow answered.

All the tension she had been feeling on the journey had melted away. They were clearly fine. Starlight had been wrong. Though now they would likely need some explanation.

“Whatever made you think that?” Rarity questioned, bringing her hoof up to her chest.

“Uh, Starlight had a bit of a freak out. Apparently her village was attacked years ago by a dragon who called himself a lord and she thought you were in trouble. She tried to get here herself but only made it half way. Applejack and I found her and took her back to the castle. Then I came here to find you all.”

“What?!” Twilight exclaimed, rushing over to Rainbow and grasping the pegasus by the shoulders. “Is Starlight alright!”

“Yeah. I left her with Nurse Redheart and Applejack. She's a little beat up but everything should be okay. She just wore herself out. If we hurry up we can catch the next boat back. You can fill me in on what actually happened on the way.”

“Let's go!” Spike called, already breaking out into a run.

The three mares followed him, rushing to try and catch the earliest boat.

Luna had just raised the moon and called in the night when the group returned to Ponyville. Twilight and Spike were neck and neck in their headlong rush towards the castle with Rainbow and Rarity on their tails. Hearing the castle doors burst open Applejack sprang into action. She raced out to meet the group half way. They had to be quiet before they came anywhere near this room.

Twilight threw open the door to the hallway, only to come face to face to Applejack. The mare held her hoof to her lips, blocking the way with a stern stare on her face.

“Quiet,” she hissed. “Nurse Redheart said we aren't to wake her. So ya'll can't go charging in there recklessly.”

“How is she?” Twilight asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

“She's sleeping. I just checked on her not long ago and everything was good. She looks a lot worse than she is right now. If ye stay quiet you can see her.”

“Okay. We will.” Twilight promised.

Everyone else nodded, so Applejack lead them to the sleeping mare's room. She pushed open the door and stepped back to give everyone room. Spike had to bring a claw to his mouth in order to stifle his gasp. Twilight remained silent, but the sight made her knees weak. What little they could see made them dread what was hidden by the bedclothes.

“Like I said,” Applejack whispered. “It looks a lot worse than it is. Once she's had a long rest she'll be fine. I'm sure Rainbow filled you in on all the details. The map sent us to her location and we brought her back here quick as we could.”

Twilight nodded and closed the doors softly before turning to the others. Speaking in a hushed tone she said.

“I do not think that the dragon lord we met was the same dragon. While very loud and eccentric, he was rather civilised and amiable enough. There must be others, or a similar title. I can ask Princess Celestia to look into it. If that dragon is still out there, then we need to make sure nopony gets hurt. Even if it was years ago we can't take any chances. I'll go write that letter. Spike you can stay here if you want.”

The young dragon merely nodded, unable to tear his eyes away from the door. Twilight touched him gently with her hoof to comfort him.

“I'll be back with the letter so you can send it. Rainbow, do you think you could take some bits and go grab something for us to eat?”

“On it,” the pegasus whispered, quickly but quietly flying off to carry out the request.

“I'll go fill in Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie,” Applejack put in. “I need to go and tell Granny, Apple Bloom and Big Mac where I've been all day anyway.”

“And I'll stay with Spike,” Rarity added. “If Starlight wakes one of us will come get you all.”

“Okay,” Twilight nodded. “I'll cast a spell so Starlight can't hear you with the doors closed but you can hear her, just in case anything happens.”

Twilight tapped into her magic and let the spell loose. The doors shimmered for a moment as the magic took hold, before returning to their original appearance.

“Done...” Twilight said. “I'll be back soon.”

With that both she and Applejack made their way down the hallway, while Spike and Rarity settled down opposite the door. Rarity extended a hoof and brought Spike a little closer to her, keeping the appendage wrapped around him.

“She'll be fine. You heard Applejack. Nurse Redheart says all she needs is rest and she's getting that.”

“I know...but I can't stop thinking... Just when I thought that I had met a dragon I could relate to...this happens. What that dragon did...”

“Has absolutely no reflection on what you saw today. There are bad dragons, just as there are some bad ponies. Dragons may by nature be more selfish than most, but you saw today that it isn't always the case. You made a friend who was willingly to help you no matter what. Hold on to that. Starlight will need all of us at our best right now. So chin up okay?”

“Okay. You're right. Thanks Rarity.”

“Of course darling. Any time,” the white unicorn smiled.

The two sat in relative silence, simply enjoying the others company. When Twilight came back with the letter, Spike sent the scroll on his breath. The princess then joined her two friends in the quiet vigil outside Starlight's door. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie appeared shortly after, all laden with food. Rainbow had picked up as much as she could buy; Pinkie Pie and Applejack had been sent with several gifts from Sugarcube Corner and Sweet Apple Acres respectively. The food was shared into eight portions, with one being left to the side. Everyone quietly dug in, the only breaks in the silence being the occasional question and Spike burping a letter from Celestia into existence.

Twilight quickly read the letter before placing it to the side. The princess would look into it at the soonest possible opportunity, and sent best wishes from both herself and Luna. Scribbling down a quick response in thanks, Twilight handed off the letter to Spike. Once the letter was gone both returned to their food. The meal was a few minutes gone when Pinkie Pie pricked up her ears.

“I think something's moving on the other side.”

Everyone strained their ears to listen. Sure enough, Starlight was awake. The unicorn had no idea what was happening on the other side of her door. All she knew was that her room was shrouded in darkness. Reaching over to her lamp she fumbled until the light illuminated her room. Everything still ached, and her movements pulled at the dressings Nurse Redheart had applied. She was covered in them, from head to toe if what she felt was correct. No matter how bad she looked she had to get moving. There was no way she was staying in bed any longer. She had to know what was going on. If it was night then that meant Twilight, Spike and Rarity were either back, on their way or...worse. That was of course if she had only been out for one day.

Her magic had returned somewhat, at least enough to allow her to remove the bedclothes on top of her at any rate. Taking a deep breath, she slid off the bed and onto her hooves. Almost instantly, her legs buckled beneath her and she fell back against the side of the bed. Just as she was starting to push herself upright, the door opened and in walked Applejack, Twilight and Spike. She could also see Rarity amongst everyone else just outside the door. Inside her chest, her heart soared, the immense relief washing through her. Starlight wanted nothing more than to run to them, to make sure that it was not a dream and all her worry had been for nothing. Wobbling violently she pushed herself to her feet. Before she could take more than a few steps towards them, Twilight and Spike did all the hard work for her.

As one the pair gently embraced her, pouring all their happiness and relief into the light gesture while being careful not to hurt their friend. Starlight let them do so, finding herself having to lean against Twilight. This was not a dream, and they were okay. Beside them, Applejack said.

“I figured that all of us in at once would be a bit much. There's food out here, though I can bring it in to you if you want.”

“N-no, I'll be fine. Thanks,” Starlight said. Her voice was hoarse but talking was much easier than it had been before her sleep.

“We're sorry we worried you,” Twilight said gently, backing away.

“There's no way you could have known. It's fine...I, did my usual overreacting nonsense.” Starlight replied, gently wrapping her hoof around Spike, who was still pressed softly against her.

“Yes but even so... Next time we'll come and find you,” Twilight said gently. “Nothing bad happened I assure you, we're both fine.”

Spike nodded and looked up at her. “Yeah, though are you sure you're okay?” he asked, his eyes glistening slightly.

“Yes, I am now...just sore, drained and feeling a little foolish,” Starlight chuckled weakly.

“Well I'm pretty sure we can help all three.” Twilight smiled. “Like Applejack said there's food out here, so that should give you some of your strength back. As for being sore, once your finished eating I can run you a bath. I'll just waterproof your bandages for you. For the last, rushing out to try and help your friends is not foolish. It's amazing. Knowing you would do that for us is one of the best things I've ever felt. Though just don't forget that you don't have to do this stuff on your own. Any one of the ponies in this room will be there to help you.”

“I think I know that now,” Starlight murmured, looking to the group. “I just...wasn't thinking clearly.”

“Understandable. I'll discuss it more with you later, but right now just try and forget about it...okay? Everyone is fine, and we're all here.”

Starlight nodded, and to each and every one of her friends, she gave a smile. They all smiled in return. Everyone outside the doorway moved inside the room. Unable to hold herself up any longer, Starlight settled down into a sitting position. Rainbow pushed the food in front of her.

“Glad your okay,” the pegasus said, before a slight smirk curved at her mouth. “I told Thunderlane you challenged him to a race tomorrow morning.”

Starlight froze for a second, her mind jamming at the very thought. A light chuckle from Rainbow brought her back to reality. Narrowing her eyes, she fixed Rainbow with one of her glares. The effect was ruined by the numerous band aids and her messy mane.

“Very funny,” she snorted, before her lips twitched back into a smile.

Twilight rolled her eyes and sat down next to Starlight with Spike positioning himself on her other side. The lilac mare ate in silence. Around, her Twilight was reprimanding Rainbow Dash for her little joke, and the others were laughing quietly. After only a third of the food was consumed, Starlight's stomach would take no more. She did feel better with something inside her, though eating any more was out of the question. Instead she took another drink from the glass of water provided to her.

“Any better?” Fluttershy asked gently, quietly removing the food from in front of her.

“Yes, thank you.”

“That's good,” the yellow pegasus smiled.

Starlight nodded slightly, feeling her head droop a little. The fullness of her stomach was making her feel sleepy once again. Twilight smiled slightly, gently helping her to her feet.

“C'mon, let's get you into a nice bath, then you can sleep the night away,” Twilight said gently.

She offered her shoulder to Starlight, who gladly took the support. Applejack rose to her feet, staying on the unicorn's other side just in case. The two helped their weary friend towards the bathroom. Overhead, Rainbow sped past them, creating a light gust of wind that ruffled the manes of the ponies below. The sound of rushing water explained her actions. The pony had started the bath running. Twilight nodded towards her before she proceeded to cast the waterproofing spell on Starlight's dressings.

Together the mares washed Starlight, being sure to be particularly gentle. The lilac unicorn just closed her eyes and enjoyed the attention. Rainbow ducked out of the room to go and join the others. Four ponies in a bathroom was definitely rather cramped. Applejack grabbed a soft bristled brush and started to gently stroke the mare's back. Nurse Redheart had already gotten Starlight clean, this was mainly just to make her feel better.

Once the bathwater had begun to cool, Twilight and Applejack helped Starlight out of the bath. As Twilight turned to grab several towels, Applejack leaned into Starlight and whispered.

“No matter what happens, I'm not gonna let that dragon get you again... It don't matter what time of the day or night it is, you can come talk to me if Twilight's not around. He's never gonna get you ever again as long as I'm around. Out here, or in there.”

For the last part she gently touched Starlight's forehead. The unicorn nodded slowly, unable to express her gratitude in words. Applejack just gave her a small smile and nodded in return, before helping Twilight gently pat her dry. Using her friends as support once again Starlight slowly made her way back to the room. By this time the others had dispersed into one of the sitting rooms to listen to Spike's tale of how he almost became dragon lord. With their help she snuggled back under her covers and made herself comfortable.

“Night,” Twilight said gently. “Sleep well...”

Starlight just nodded and closed her eyes. The light was turned off and her room was plunged into darkness. Applejack and Twilight both left quietly to join the others. They had a lot to discuss about the events of the day. For the next few days and possibly beyond, they would need to keep a close eye on Starlight. She had been wearing herself out and today had been the worst possible tipping point. Her own mind was her worst enemy, and one they were limited in their effectiveness against. For over two hours they talked into the night, before they all retired to their homes. Spike had left to bed an hour ago. Applejack was the last to go.

“I'm gonna go check on Starlight before I go. I won't wake her, promise.”

“Okay. I'll clean up here then see you off.” Twilight nodded, setting herself to work.

Applejack nodded and made her way towards Starlight's room. While she did honestly have no intention of waking her, she had no intention of leaving. Quietly, she slipped into Starlight's room. Right now her exhaustion was probably keeping the dreams away, but that would not last. Applejack was about to settle at the foot of Starlight's bed, when a second rhythm of breathing caught her attention. Looking down she waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. The outline of Spike came into her vision.

“Seems I'm not the only one with this idea,” she chuckled under her breath.

Smiling slightly she chose a position at the other end of the room. Nestling into a blanket, she closed her eyes and prepared to sleep. If Starlight woke from a nightmare, the she would wake too. Apple Bloom had given her a lot of practice at it. She had promised Starlight that she would help her, no matter what. That started here and now.

The door opened not long after, and Twilight's head popped through the door. She used her horn to cast a gentle light throughout the room, just enough to see by but not enough to disturb the three sleepers. She smiled at their dedication. Closing the door quietly, the purple alicorn made her way to her own room. Starlight was surrounded by a lot of good friends, and she Twilight was proud to know all of them. Morning would bring a difficult discussion when Starlight was ready for it. Now though, she was in the best hooves, and claws, around.

Author's Note:

Okay well that was interesting to write. I had a lot of fun with this one. It was interesting to write that's for sure. I hope you all enjoy. Not all of the stories will be this long or weighted, but this was the idea that came to me. Whatever ideas the episodes give me I'll share with you guys. The next two weeks might be a bit delayed because I have exams but after that it should be plain sailing.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed. If you didn't that's fine too but could you all do me a favour? If there's something you just did not like about this story could you please leave a comment to let me know what was wrong? I want to get better and I can't do that if I don't know what I'm failing at. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day all.