• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 2,038 Views, 17 Comments

The Vagabond - trooper7051



An injured stranger comes to Ponyville. He carries with him the darkest of secrets. He is condemned to a fate worse than death, but is there yet hope of salvation, before the end? Only the Elements of Harmony can decide.

  • ...
5
 17
 2,038

Chapter 8

VAGABOND
CHAPTER 8

"Thanks Granny, Ah really appreciate it. Ah'll be back later tonight." Applejack said, thanking her beloved matriarch.

"Hurry back dear. These old bones can't keep up with youngsters the way Ah used to." Granny Smith said.

"Ah will Granny." Applejack said respectfully.

Applejack stepped off the front porch and headed toward the barn. She pulled the canvas off the cart and strapped on the saddle. The cart was old but it was one of those things that was well made and it had withstood the test of time proudly. It was sturdy, made of Black Oak and, as far as Applejack could tell, nigh on unbreakable. The saddle/harness creaked softly, complaining of frequent use. Applejack made a mental note to, 'Oil up the dang thing.'

Applejack pulled the cart out of the old barn and stopped several yards from the house, "Ah'll be back soon girls. Yall behave yourselves for Granny while Ah'm gone." she yelled.

Three adorable faces poked out of the second story, far right window, where Applebloom's room was, "Bye Applejack." they said in unison.

******************************************************************************************************************

Vagabond slowly came-to and saw that Applejack had returned; not only that but everypony was sat down on the floor starring right at him, "How long was I asleep?"he asked.

Rarity smiled mischievously, "Long enough for me to give you your cutie-mark back. For a time at least." she said pointing to Vagabond's flank.

Vagabond whipped his head around and stared in awe. There, on his flank, was his cutie-mark. It was back and better than ever. The design was exactly the same except now the rim of the mortar bowl was lined with marquis cut gems; the same formed a circle around the thin center of the pestle.

Vagabond couldn't speak for several moments. The cutie-mark was beautiful. Rarity had obviously put a lot of work into it and it showed. The gems seemed to add a third dimension, making it look like it was going to spring right out at you.

His eyes welled up with tears, but he blinked them away, and found his voice, "It's a beautiful painting. Thank you Rarity."

"Do you like it darling?" Rarity asked.

"It's actually better than my old one. I love it. I wish it was permanent." Vagabond said, voice cracking.

"Do you really mean that?" Rarity asked rising to her hooves.

"Yes I do." Vagabond said, "I truly do."

"Then hold still." Rarity said.

Vagabond didn't move. Rarity closed her eyes to concentrate as she lowered her horn. Vagabond closed his eyes too, focusing on holding as still as possible. He felt his flanks begin to heat up slowly and poured all his will into not moving. The heat on his flank kept increasing. It became uncomfortable, but he held his posture, not moving a muscle. Seconds ticked by and still the heat intensified. It was all Vagabond could do to stay still. Tiny beads of perspiration formed all over his body, but his will held firm, 'I won't let Rarity's gift to waste.' he thought over and over again.

Finally the heat subsided. As it did Vagabond opened his eyes and found Rarity standing not a foot from him. Her horn still pulsed from the effort and she was breathing heavily.

Rarity raised her right fore hoof and placed it on Vagabond's left one, "It is permanent now darling." Rarity began, "I badly misjudged you Vagabond. I assumed the worst and I was wrong. Whatever you used to be, you are different now. Can you ever forgive me?"

"I already had Rarity." Vagabond said softly.

Rarity removed her hoof from Vagabond and stepped back, "I do believe there is somepony else who wants to give you something." she said indicating Twilight.

Vagabond turned toward Twilight, "No need for introductions. You're Twilight Sparkle, and my savior is Rainbow Dash. Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Applejack told me how you all defeated Nightmare Moon. That's also how I learned your names." Vagabond paused then, thinking, "I can understand everypony else being so nice to me, they've gotten to know me, but you and I have barely spoken before now. Why give me something if you don't know me? I don't mean to sound unappreciative because I do appreciate the notion. I'm merely curious about your motivation."

Twilight stepped into the very center of the room and starred Vagabond in the eye, "Did they tell you how much I value knowledge Vagabond?" she asked.

"Yes they said you were quite the scholar." Vagabond admitted.

"I did some research and, while you were asleep, I spoke to everypony about you and your situation. Through all that, I made a few discoveries and came to some conclusions." Twilight paused to take a breath before continuing, "From what my friends tell me, you are a good person, you just made a poor decision and you don't want to risk hurting anypony. You've learned your lesson and I believe I can provide you with some relief and a good bit of closure." Twilight paused again, amassing her courage, "If you want, I know a spell that will let you see Arabesque again."

The entire cottage became utterly still and silent, even Pinkie Pie stopped hopping and stood still waiting. Seconds ticked by, becoming minutes. Everypony was shocked at what Twilight had offered. Vagabond's mind raced at dizzying speed, his thoughts were a maelstrom of conflicting ideas and emotions.

Finally Vagabond found his voice again, "How long will the spell last?" he asked.

"The spell is complex and I'll have to concentrate on it the whole time, so not long. I might be able to give you a full minute, but that will be pushing it." Twilight explained.

"Will I be able to talk to her? Will she be able to see me? Will she be able to hear me?" Vagabond asked rapidly.

"Arabesque will be able to see and talk to everypony but me. I have to maintain the spell." Twilight said.

"I'll do anything, ANYTHING to see her again. Please Twilight, let me see her." Vagabond pleaded.

"Do you want to be alone for this Vagabond?" Twilight asked, "It is personal."

Vagabond didn't even pause, "No, you all have been here for me. Every one of you has earned the right to be here."

"Ah'm not so sure about that. Ah've hardly done anything." Big Macintosh said.

Vagabond turned to the massively built earth pony, "You've been here, listening to me gripe and whine. You've stayed by my side, helping me even though it's been inconvenient. You deserve to be here Big Mac; all of you deserve to be here." Vagabond said then turned to Twilight, "Whenever you're ready Twilight."

Twilight nodded solemnly and took a bracing stance. She lowered her head and breathed evenly, closing her eyes. Twilight's horn began to glow as she cast the spell. The glow of her horn intensified after a moment, changing from a glow to a blinding flare. Sparks of magical energy crawled and leapt from the tip of her horn. Twilight's horn flashed so blindingly that everypony had to shield their eyes.

As the light receded, every eye in the cottage was drawn to the center of the room. Twilight had vanished. In Twilight's place stood a light red pegasus pony filly with bright silver-green mane and tail. Her cutie-mark was a pair of ballet slippers of the purest white, but it was her eyes that drew the most attention. Arabesque's eyes were pupil less and pure white.

Vagabond starred dumbly at the spirit of his long dead love before he remembered the time constraint of the reunion, "Arabesque?" he asked.

"It is I." Arabesque responded.

"Ooh, she's pretty!" Pinkie Pie blurted.

Vagabond remembered the presence of his new friends, "Arabesque, these are my friends. They've . . . " Vagabond began.

Arabesque interrupted him, "I already know. I knew they were here. That's why I led you here. You needed their influence to begin your recovery. Your sorrow and hurt blinded you. You pulled your pain into a shell and used the darkness of despair to harden it. You have to learn to open yourself to others. These ponies gathered here, are all here for you. They care about you."

"I never meant to hurt you Arabesque." Vagabond said.

"Not physically, no. I know my death was not intentional. But you were willing to hurt my dream to obtain what you wished." Arabesque said pointedly.

"I was wrong. Love isn't selfish, it's selfless, it's . . . generous." Vagabond's eyes widened as all the pieces fell into place.

Clarity hit him like a train. Suddenly it all made sense. Vagabond looked at Rarity, then to every face in the room. Understanding sparked to life as he beheld the ponies surrounding him and began speaking again.

The words flowed from him like a waterfall, as he looked at Big Macintosh, "Love doesn't judge or assume. Love takes things as they are without foregone conclusions. Love is Acceptance, seeing the world through unbiased eyes."

Vagabond turned his eyes to Fluttershy, "Love isn't heartless, it's caring, no matter the cost. Love makes time and room for everything without any thought for self. Love is Kind."

Vagabond's eyes turned to Pinkie Pie next, "Love isn't sad or depressed. It's joyous and celebrating, always looking on the bright side. Love is Laughter."

Vagabond's eyes fell on Applejack next, "Love has no secrets. It's open and forthright to a fault, even when you may not want to hear it. Love is Honest."

Rainbow Dash was the next to feel the weight of Vagabond's gaze, "Love never abandons. Love is stable and steady like a refuge in a storm, always there no matter what comes. Love is Loyal."

Vagabond shifted his gaze to Rarity, "Love isn't greedy or selfish. Love is Generous, giving of itself in all things and at all times with gifts both meaningful and thoughtful."

Vagabond looked straight at Arabesque, "Love is unstoppable. Through love all things are possible, love conquers all obstacles, objects, and difficulties. Love is Magic." Vagabond took a quick breath and continued, "That's why you brought me here, to learn what love really is. Not just to heal, but to learn through example."

Arabesque smiled warmly, "Very good." she said.

A bright light flashed and Twilight reappeared. She was breathing hard and sweating heavily. Twilight collapsed onto the floor, her legs lacking the strength to support her. Applejack and Rainbow Dash ran over and helped Twilight up.

Twilight cracked open her eyes, gazing groggily at Vagabond, "I'm s . . . sorry I couldn't . . . hold it any . . . longer."

"Don't you dare apologize Twilight." Vagabond said boldly, "I owe you more than I can ever repay." Vagabond took a breath and turned his head to a certain apple-flanked earth pony mare, "Applejack, I have your answer now."

******************************************************************************************************************

"Granny, can you make us somethin'? We're hungry." Applebloom asked, shaking Granny Smith gently awake.

Granny Smith blinked owlishly and looked up from her rocking chair, "Eh, what's that?" she asked.

"Ah'm sorry to wake you Granny but can you cook us up somethin' please?" Applebloom asked sweetly.

Granny Smith smiled warmly at Applebloom, "Oh certainly dear. Applejack made a couple of pies the other day. Ah'll just heat one up and call you when it's ready. Are yall still playin' in your room?" Granny asked.

"Yes ma'am, we are. Thank you Granny." Applebloom said running off.

Granny Smith rose, creaking from her rocking chair on the front porch and slowly made her way inside. The front door lead to the foyer. You could go left, into the Den, or right, into the Front room. Granny Smith turned right. Once in the Front room, she had to turn left sharply and head on into the kitchen which was toward the back of the house. Once in the kitchen, Granny Smith lit one of the burners on the old gas range but kept the flame low.

Everypony in the Apple family knew that though they would try, no single one of them could match Granny Smith in the kitchen. Granny Smith may have been old, the oldest pony in the Apple family, but Celestia help anypony who thought they could match her in culinary skills. The only one who even came close was Applejack.

Granny Smith had to tug hard to break the seal of moisture which had cemented the door of the old ice box. She rooted around for a moment before she found a pie.

She pulled the pie out and examined the bottom, "Ah'll have to use a pan to heat that one up." she said noticing the absence of a bottom she could put safely on the range top.

Granny Smith's mind was still keen even at her advanced age. She set the pie down and grabbed a cast iron pan off the counter top. She put the pie into the pan then set the pan on the counter next to the range. Granny felt a sudden icy sensation hit her back. When she was removing the pie, Granny Smith had brushed the top of her head against the enfrosted roof of the freezer. She shook large chunks of melting frost out of her mane, which splotched noisily as they hit the floor. 'Huh' she thought, 'Some of the frost from the ice box must have fallen into mah mane when Ah pulled out the pie. Ah need a towel to wipe that up. Don't want anypony slippin' on it.' Granny put the pan onto the range, then went for a towel.

The ancient earth pony failed to notice one large piece had fallen into her tail as she wiped up the water. The chunk of frost melted and plopped quietly onto the floor behind her. She finished wiping up that water, the towel was soaked. She turned around, toward the washroom but didn't see the reflective sheen of wet linoleum. She slipped on the water, fell back, and hit her head, knocking herself out cold.

******************************************************************************************************************

"My talent is for herbs, herbal remedies, and alchemy. Once I'm forgiven, I'll go to Canterlot and study chemistry, pharmaceuticals, and alchemy. I don't know what will happen after that, but I've been considering getting a wagon and traveling to different cities and towns to give away potions and pamphlets about some of the recipes I know. I want to provide a service to families who don't have much money. I'll also teach a couple of ponies at each stop, how to do the same. I want to leave a legacy to as many as I can. As an ongoing reminder of what has been done for me, I want to provide for those who have a need." Vagabond said, slowly limping his way out of Fluttershy's cottage door.

"And what is it that has been done for you Vagabond?" Twilight asked.

Vagabond smiled at his new friends, "You and your friends have sacrificed a great deal for a stranger, a condemned stranger. You have come together to give me the greatest gift of my whole life. That gift is hope. I am going to do my very best to pass that along." Vagabond paused next to the Apple family's cart, "Are you sure you don't want me to walk Big Mac?' he asked.

"Ayup. You need to save your energy for the road tomorrow." Big Mac said.

Applejack couldn't help but to comment, "You're a pegasus, yall don't hardly weigh a thing to us earth ponies. Ah've pulled this here apple cart all the way from Sweet Apple Acres to Fluttershy's cottage with it fully loaded down with apples. It's not a big deal, especially for Big Macintosh. Ain't that right big brother?" Applejack asked.

"Ayup." Big Mac replied.

"As long as you're sure. Thank you." Vagabond said slowly crawling up into the back of the apple cart.

Vagabond lay down and nestled between his saddlebags, and the pastries Pinkie Pie had brought, then wrapped himself in Big Macintosh's blanket. He was warm, surrounded by friends who had opened their lives to him, and he loved it. Vagabond felt more at peace in that moment than he had in a long time, 'I feel at home here, like I'm supposed to be here. It's so perfect here, among friends, among such loving ponies. I love it here in Ponyville. I will come back, I swear.'

"All set back here Big Mac." Vagabond yelled from the back of the cart.

Applejack, Twilight, Rarity Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie walked behind the cart so they could talk to Vagabond, while Rainbow Dash flew overhead, preferring to be airborne. The procession of friends set out at a casual gait. Night had fallen and they wanted to reach Sweet Apple Acres before it got too late.

"You seem much more cheerful than when you first woke up Vagabond." Pinkie Pie ventured.

"I am Pinkie. Seeing Arabesque again and talking to her, gave me absolute assurance that she will forgive me someday. She indicated that I was starting to recover. I had no idea she had been keeping me a Vagabond for my own good. It would never have occurred to me. I still have to stay a Vagabond, constantly wandering, but now I have hope. I wouldn't have that if not for all of you. Once I'm forgiven and I'm done with my traveling, I would like to come back to Ponyville and live here, if you all will have me."

"We would love that darling." Rarity said.

"I agree." Twilight said, "Your knowledge of plants probably rivals that of our friend Zecora."

"Zecora?" Vagabond asked, "I don't believe I've met her."

Pinkie Pie began humming an odd little tune, which caused her friends to shoot her a series of scowls, "What?" Pinkie asked, "It was still a good song, even if Zecora isn't evil."

"Evil?" Vagabond asked.

"It's a long story." Rainbow Dash said from above.

"From my understanding, it's a long trip from here to Sweet Apple Acres too." Vagabond said hopefully.

"Well," Twilight began, "I didn't even know Zecora was even around for a while after I moved here. It had been about two months since we defeated Nightmare Moon . . . " Twilight explained.

******************************************************************************************************************

The story continued for a little under half an hour, but finally Twilight finished, "And since then, every shop has been open and available for Zecora anytime she wants." Twilight finished.

Vagabond absently noticed they had entered the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres, "Wow! A Zebra! I've never met one. They're . . . " Vagabond's sentence was cut off from above.

"Fire! There's a fire at the farm house!" Rainbow Dash cried from above.

Big Macintosh set his jaw and took off at a gallop, yelling, "Come on! Granny Smith and the girls were at the house! Dash take a look!"

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity shrieked.

Everypony burst into a charge toward the homestead; everypony except Vagabond, who could only hold on for dear life. His injuries screamed as the cart bounced down the path. He let go of the side of the cart and balanced precariously as he opened his saddle bags and took out the pain medication Dr. Mend had given him. The pills spilled as the cart bounced. Vagabond grabbed as many as he could with his muzzle, but the cart bounced again and he accidentally swallowed them all. Vagabond had no idea how many he swallowed, 'I'll have to throw them up later.' he thought.

The cart nicked the side of an apple tree, causing several of the juicy fruit to fall. One struck the side of the cart, splattering its juice all over the back. Vagabond blinked mushy pulp from his eyes. A reflective twinkle caught his attention. Some of the juice from the apple had landed on Big Macintosh's heavy blanket. As Vagabond watched, the blanket absorbed the juice.

"Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle are still inside, but the outside of the room they're in is an inferno! I didn't see Granny Smith either, but Wynona is somewhere inside barking. I think she's with Granny Smith." Rainbow Dash yelled to the galloping friends.

"Dash!" Vagabond yelled, "Could somepony get in on the ground?"

"Only if they were fireproof!" Dash yelled back.

Vagabond turned his attention to Twilight, "Twilight, how long would a building have to burn before it collapsed?"

"Depending on the intensity of the flame and how dry the wood . . . " Twilight began.

Vagabond interrupted her, "Just guess!" he yelled.

"Twenty to forty minutes I guess." Twilight said panting.

"We've been traveling that long! Do you think the structure could support an adult pony right now?" Vagabond asked.

"I can't see it! How should I . . . " Twilight began, then made another guess, "A pegasus perhaps. But Fluttershy's not strong enough to carry much and Rainbow Dash said you can't get inside."

"Unless you're fireproof!" Vagabond yelled.

A crazy idea had hit him. It was truly insane to even think of, but he knew he had to try.

"Rainbow Dash! I need a bucket of water ready when we get there! Can you do that?" Vagabond asked.

Even as the words left his lips, he began to pray, begging Celestia and Luna to help him.

"I'm on it!" Rainbow Dash yelled and took off like a rocket.

"Rarity, Fluttershy, do you have enough in you to catch a filly in freefall?" Vagabond asked.

"I guess so." Fluttershy said.

"I believe I can, yes." Rarity said.

"Big Mac, Applejack, Pinkie, get ready to spot for them." Vagabond yelled.

"Twilight," Vagabond addressed, "Are you recovered enough to catch something with magic and levitate it down to the ground?"

"Yes. I'm sure I can" Twilight said.

"When we arrive, get ready to do so." Vagabond said, then turned his attention to Applejack, "Applejack, which room would the fillies be in?"

"Second floor, far right door." Applejack yelled.

"And your Granny?" Vagabond asked.

"Um . . . She might be in the kitchen. That's the only place a fire could have started. Applebloom knows not to touch the stove or play with matches. It's on the first floor, to the right and all the way back." Applejack instructed.

"Look!" Big Macintosh said.

The farmhouse had come into view. The entire right side was engulfed in an inferno of flames, but the left side was beginning to catch as well. Over the roar of the flames, over the thunder of galloping hooves, everypony could hear a trio of voices crying for help. Vagabond looked for the window to Applebloom's room and spotted it. Rainbow Dash had been right, nopony could get in that way. Vagabond looked for Rainbow Dash by a well that caught his eye, but she was not there.

"Over here!" Dash called from the side of the barn, "These are rain barrels!"

Big Macintosh skidded to a halt and began fighting to unbuckle himself from the saddle/harness. Vagabond's body screamed at him as he leapt out of the back of the cart with Big Macintosh's blanket in his mouth. As he landed, the jarring force and the pain combined to make him nauseous and dizzy. He ran, staggering over to Rainbow Dash and dunked his whole head, blanket and all, into the closest rain barrel.

Vagabond pulled the blanket out and whipped it open, yelling, "Rainbow Dash, can you catch?"

"Like a champ." Dash bragged.

"Good. Hoover outside Applebloom's room window and be ready to catch fillies." he said.

Twilight caught on to the idea, "I'll dump the rain barrels on the front of the window! Break it to signal me! I'll organize everything out here! GO!"

"You got it Twilight!" Vagabond said.

Vagabond whipped the soaked blanket over his body and pulled it closed in front of his face, with his muzzle. He breathed through his mouth, using the moisture and fabric to filter out the smoke.

"Celestia help me." he whispered trying to steel his nerves.

His fear bit into him but the cries of the fillies overrode his fear and he charged the front door.

Vagabond hit the door, shoulder out, with bone jarring force. Vagabond's vision swam briefly as his wing stump struck the door frame. Pain lanced through his body like white hot lightning. The door gave way and swung open, the jam broken at the handle. Flame surged forward with the fresh air to fuel it. Vagabond closed his eyes and kept running, straight into the flames. It hurt. By Celestia it hurt. Vagabond smelled burning hair as his eyebrows and eyelashes were singed off. He forced himself not to cry out in pain as his mostly unprotected legs took the full force of the heat and flame. The front of his hooves struck wood and Vagabond opened his eyes. He was at the base of the stairs, stairs which were already on fire. Vagabond gritted his teeth and charged up the stairs as swiftly as he could.

His body raged against his will. His wing stubs hurt to no end, his legs were beginning to blister already, and while the wet blanket held off the fire itself, it also insulated the heat, right up against Vagabond's body. His hooves blistered and smoldered. The agony was nearly overwhelming. He reached the top of the stairs fighting off instinctual panic and nausea. Tears streamed out of his eyes but were almost instantly evaporated by the heat. The physical trauma was beginning to take its toll already. Vagabond's mind was fuzzy and beginning to go numb, as a result of the pain, trauma, and pills.

Vagabond stumbled down the intensely hot, smoke-filled hallway, mumbling to himself, through the blanket, "Far right door, far right door."

The door was easy to spot. The girly designs on the door were a dead giveaway. The door was closed and Vagabond still had to breathe through his mouth, so he just ran the door down. Vagabond hurt everywhere, his hooves were blistered and charred, his face hurt to move, and his legs were beginning to feel weak. As he entered the room, he saw a dresser to his left as he closed the door.

With the skin peeling off his hooves he shoved the dresser in front of the door, yelling as the blanket slid off him, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Applebloom! Where are you?"

Vagabond looked around the room, frantically, for the girls. Motion caught his eye and he looked down. A tiny head with an over-sized bow poked out from under the bed, followed by two more.

The three terrified Cutie-mark Crusaders rushed out from under the bed, "Help us! We're scared! Help us Vagabond!" they cried holding onto Vagabond for dear life.

The tormented stallion scanned the room for a pole-like object and immediately settled on a wooden lamp. With the three fillies holding onto him, Vagabond picked up the lamp and threw it out the window. The hot glass broke easily. A split second later, water cascaded down around the window, temporarily extinguishing the flames chewing on it. The water had the wondrous secondary effect of knocking away most of the remaining window glass.

"We're ready out here!" Rainbow Dash yelled through the window.

Vagabond bent down to pick up Applebloom, but stopped short as his vision blurred and he almost fell over from a dizzy spell. The pills were beginning to take effect. Vagabond realized he was now in almost no pain at all. In fact he could barely feel anything.

He shook his head to clear his vision, "Curl up tight into a little ball and don't move." he ordered Applebloom.

Applebloom curled up into the fetal position and screwed her tear-filled eyes tightly shut. Vagabond picked Applebloom up by the tail and tossed her out the window like a softball. Rainbow Dash caught Applebloom easily and passed her off to Fluttershy who then let go of Applebloom when Rarity levitated her and lowered her onto the ground. Vagabond followed up by tossing out Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, both of whom made it out safely.

Vagabond threw out the blanket, yelling, "Get ready Twilight I'm combumum . . ." his mouth felt dry, and his body felt sluggish.

Vagabond shook his head to clear his vision. It only partially worked. He knew he couldn't wait any longer. He ran for the window, but his legs didn't want to follow his orders. He tripped and instead of jumping, he hit the window sill while his momentum continued to push his rear end up and over the window sill. Even in his numbed state, he could feel the pressure of the window frame against his chest. Vagabond grunted an entered free-fall for an instant, before Twilight levitated him to the ground safely.

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight yelled, "Go get Dr. Mend, hurry!"

Vagabond leapt into clumsy action as soon as his body felt dirt. He staggered to his hooves and slung the blanket up and over his back, then ran back into the house, ignoring his friends' cries for him to stop. He knew he didn't have much time at all before his mind and body gave in to the drugs. He made it to the front door but slipped jamming his shoulder painfully into the door frame.

Looking around Vagabond could barely see through the heat. He stumbled several times, but at least the floor hadn't caught fire yet. He followed the sounds of Wynona barking for guidance. He reached the kitchen and saw Granny Smith lying, still as death, on the linoleum floor. Vagabond peeled off the blanket and bent low to avoid the smoke. He picked up Granny Smith by the mane and drug her onto the blanket.

Vagabond bit the edge of the blanket, keeping his head low and began pulling Granny Smith toward the front door backwards. He had only just entered the Front Room when the ceiling of the kitchen groaned loudly. Looking toward the sound, he saw the ceiling creak and sag under the weight of the rest of the house on top of it. Vagabond didn't hesitate for even a moment. He pulled on the blanket with all his might. He stumbled and slipped, but Granny Smith was clear of the kitchen. Wynona leapt over Granny's body just as the ceiling collapsed with a thunderous crash, sending glowing embers flying like little molten fireflies.

Vagabond ignored the spectacle and focused his quickly diminishing strength on hauling Granny Smith to safety. He heard sizzling and felt a tingling sensation all over his body. Instinctively, he knew his own skin was beginning to cook. He gritted his teeth, trying to focus, but his strength was depleted.

Vagabond's vision began to swim and specks of every color danced in front of his eyes, 'I can do this!' he thought furiously, 'No matter the cost,' he looked through his swimming vision at Granny Smith, 'You will live!' his thoughts screamed with muffled determination.

A minuscule ember of strength sparked to life somewhere deep inside Vagabond. He focused his entire being; his whole heart, body, mind, and soul, on the tiny pinprick. Hope surged through him, a cool, calm stream of peace amid the seething, raging inferno around him.

With a short, but monumental burst of strength and will, Vagabond forced his limbs into clumsy motion. He pulled and tugged as hard as he could, hauling Granny Smith toward the front door, building up momentum as he went. His mind blurred but was burning with determination to see this done. He moved with speed greater than his own legs could keep up with. He stumbled but still he moved. He fell onto his back and continued pulling as hard as he could, using his fore hooves mostly and his hind legs when he could in a stumbling, chaotic dance of desperation. His body ceased responding and kept moving of its own accord. Vagabond suddenly realized he couldn't breathe. His body began gasping for air involuntarily. His vision unfocused and his mind began to wander. Shaking his head violently, he clenched his jaw down on the blanket even harder. Air or no air he would get the old mare out of the burning house. Vagabond was completely unaware that he had cleared the front door. Nothing else in the world mattered to him except Granny Smith's safety.

******************************************************************************************************************

Big Macintosh saw Vagabond come staggering out of the front door backwards, partly on his back, pulling Granny Smith with him. Everypony rushed up to take care of Granny Smith. Vagabond kept pulling, like he didn't know he was clear of the house. Everypony yelled for Vagabond to stop, but it did no good.

Big Mac thought quickly and tripped the delirious stallion with his hoof, "Take Granny! I'll handle him!" he yelled ripping the blanket out of Vagabond's muzzle.

Dr. Mend dropped to the ground next to Big Mac, "Pry his mouth open! Shove a stick in between his teeth and make sure he doesn't swallow his tongue! I'll see to Granny!" he ordered as he dashed off, black bag clenched in his teeth.

Big Mac held Vagabond down and shoved a stick between his teeth, then just held him there for a moment. Vagabond began vomiting violently, chocking on the bile. Half digested white pills came up as he continued heaving.

Big Macintosh turned him onto his side and cleared his airway, "It's O.K. now." he tried soothing the stallion, "Just calm down and breathe."

Big Macintosh was trying to comfort Vagabond when he heard Applejack scream, "NO! No no no no no no no no no no!"

Big Macintosh turned his head and saw Dr. Mend pull his own blanket over Granny Smith's still form, covering her face. Applejack was sobbing brokenly over the still form of the beloved Apple Family Matron. Big Macintosh felt his heart lurch in agony as his eyes teared up. He hung his head and clenched his eyes shut, even as Dr. Mend gently, but urgently pushed him out of the way.

Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash kept the little ones away from the scene. The fillies were inconsolable. They had seen Vagabond cooked, almost to death and had seen Granny Smith pronounced dead. The only pony who seemed even remotely calm was Twilight, and calm would not have described her accurately. She blinked away tears constantly. Her whole body was shuddering and shaking violently, as she made her way to Dr. Mend.

Vagabond's world turned sideways and his hearing returned, "Twilight hand me my bag, quickly!" Dr. Mend shouted.

Vagabond saw Twilight levitate the bag over to him. Dr. Mend began working faster than Vagabond thought possible, when he suddenly stopped. The older black earth pony stallion peered closely at Vagabond's chest then sat back on his haunches.

Twilight looked over Dr. Mend's shoulder curiously as she blinked through her tears, "What . . ." she sniffed, "What is that?"

"It's a shard of glass, probably from the window Dash said he fell through. It's punctured his lung." Dr. Mend said.

Twilight's ears dropped completely, "Will he live?" she asked.

Averting his eyes, the older earth pony sighed, "I'll make his as comfortable as I can." Dr. Mend said softly.

Hearing that his death was set, the young stallion struggled to speak, but it came out only as a gurgling whisper, "Granny O.K.?" he asked.

Dr. Mend hung his head sadly, "I'm sorry," he said, "I had to declare her, she didn't make it."

Vagabond's eyes widened, brimming with tears, "NO!" his scream rivaled Applejack's, "She's going to live!" he broke into a fit of wet coughing.

Vagabond had nothing left, but his mind burned with white hot determination. He coughed up frothy blood, but through sheer force of will he began to move his legs. Dr. Mend leaned onto him trying to keep him still but the dying pegasus' will was set. The older earth pony struggled to hold him, but by some miracle the younger stallion's waning strength won out. It hurt beyond words, but Vagabond managed to stagger to his hooves.

His hooves cracked and began to bleed, his whole body was a mass of blisters and charred skin, and his blood was seeping into his lung, but he wouldn't give up hope, "NO!" he shouted, coughing roughly, "She's going to watch Applebloom grow up!" he said taking a step toward Granny's body.

"She's going to watch Applejack proudly on her wedding day!"

Step.

"SHE."

Step.

"WILL."

Step.

"LIVE!"

Vagabond took his final step, coming face to face with Applejack, "I will save her, I swear." he whispered hoarsely.

Vagabond felt pain again. He felt the glass shard dig deeply into his chest as he bent down and pulled the blanket from Granny Smith's still form. He took a deep breath and coughed up more blood, intentionally to clear it out for a moment. He placed his hooves on Granny's chest and pumped five times.

He lowered his head and breathed into her muzzle then pumped five more times, "Twilight! Force start her heart! I've seen it done . . . " Vagabond trailed off as a fit of coughing took him.

Twilight blinked away tears, "She's gone, Vagabond. I . . ."

"DO IT!" Vagabond yelled, interrupting her, "You gave me hope now have some yourself! DO IT!" he cried turning back to Granny, "You will live!" he mumbled, tears streaming down his face.

Twilight, moved by Vagabond's actions, pieced together a spell and began casting it repeatedly. Vagabond could actually feel his life slipping away, but he was beyond caring. He would see this done before he died. He would force his body to live until he had resuscitated Granny Smith.

"Though my body be burned and broken, I will see you live!" Vagabond muttered.

"Look!" Big Macintosh said pointing.

Every eye present saw it. It was brief, and it only happened a couple of times, but as Vagabond worked, a bright light flashed behind his back. For the briefest of moments, during each flash the gathered ponies could swear they saw a pair of beautiful golden glowing wings, nearly as long as Celestia's, attached to Vagabond's back.

Vagabond's strength failed him for the last time. He took a deep breath, but his legs gave out and he collapsed chest down onto Granny Smith, driving the shard of glass deep within his body.

Granny Smith gasped loudly as Vagabond hit her chest. Big Macintosh reacted first and hauled Vagabond off Granny Smith. Everypony present gathered around to see the miracle.

"Thank Celestia." Vagabond gurgled. He rolled over onto his back and tried to draw a breath, but found that he couldn't. Vagabond began to thrash his limbs, frantically trying to draw breath.

"Hold him!" Dr. Mend ordered, running over, "He's dying. Try to comfort him, help him pass as peacefully as you can!"

Big Macintosh had to grapple with the flailing pegasus stallion before he caught Vagabond's hind legs, Dr. Mend held his fore hooves pinned above his head, and Rainbow Dash held his head still as he tried to thrash about wildly. His subconscious overrode his sense and forced him to fight for breath, hopeless as it was.

Fluttershy flew over, nuzzling the side of his head, she began whispering into his ear, "There, there." she said, eyes overflowing with tears, "Just stay still and let it happen." she said softly, "It will all be over soon. It's alright. All your friends are here with you. You'll see Arabesque soon." she sniffed trying not to break down completely, "You can be with her now."

Vagabond struggled violently as he slowly suffocated and drowned in his own blood. He couldn't think straight, his vision was going cloudy. He knew he was experiencing his final moments. His ears were roaring like the ocean and his every nerve ending fired constantly as the sticks and dirt ground like sandpaper into his open wounds. He wanted to scream, he tried to scream, but he could draw not a whisper of air into his body.

Rainbow Dash leaned over and pressed her forehead against Vagabond's, eyes clenched shut, "You've been forgiven Vagabond. Arabesque told me." she whispered as she cradled his head like an infant.

It was the last thing Vagabond heard, but it was enough.

He stopped struggling, even as his body continued convulsing, trying to breathe. He used his final iota of will to steady his body, as his life gradually ebbed away. His mind was finally at peace and his mangled body slowly found a peace of its own. His chest convulsed against his will but he held his limbs still. Each convulsion a desperate, last ditch attempt to sustain life, sent shards of arcing agony through his body. The gasps and convulsions slowly dwindled down to nothing more than what seemed like hiccups and those finally ceased as well.

His body gave out and his heart slowed down, then stopped beating altogether.

Everypony present was in tears. Even Dr. Mend wept heavily. Dr. Mend reached a hoof out and slowly closed Vagabond's eyes. The older doctor tearfully stood up and retrieved the blanket he had formerly pulled over Granny Smith's body.

He laid the blanket solemnly over Vagabond's body, whispering some final words to the young stallion's remains, "Take your final rest, son of Equestria." he whispered hoarsely, trying not to sob, "Be at peace, your suffering is over."

Author's Note:

Finally done editing this chapter. Never realized how many spelling errors there were. If anyone happens to find any more please send me a P.M. detailing its location. I hope I portrayed the scene well.
Truthseeker