• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 2,036 Views, 17 Comments

The Vagabond - trooper7051



An injured stranger comes to Ponyville. He carries with him the darkest of secrets. He is condemned to a fate worse than death, but is there yet hope of salvation, before the end? Only the Elements of Harmony can decide.

  • ...
5
 17
 2,036

Chapter 7

VAGABOND
CHAPTER 7

Morning came in the afternoon for Rainbow Dash. Arabesque had finally let her sleep after she, Twilight and Spike had visited Zecora. Dash could never remember sleeping so soundly in her whole life. She rose with a feeling of refreshment in her body and mind. She was full of energy, even more than normal, and that was saying something for her.

Rainbow Dash opened the front door of her cloud/house and noticed the sun, "Aw man!" she groaned, "It's almost time for me to meet Twilight. I need to hurry."

Rainbow Dash leaped off the cloud and sped like a bullet toward Ponyville. She decided to stop at Sugar Cube Corner to grab a cream-cheese Danish. She smiled to herself, glad that only Pinkie Pie knew about her odd addiction.

Within 1 minute, Rainbow Dash landed outside Sugar Cube Corner, "Hey Pinkie, you got anything for me?" Dash asked walking in.

Mrs. Cake greeted the cyan pegasus mare, "I'm sorry Rainbow Dash but Pinkie Pie just left about 10 minutes ago. She said she was going to visit Fluttershy. Can I get you anything?"

Rainbow Dash tried to be indirect without seeming suspicious, "Did she leave anything here for me by chance?"

"I don't believe so. Was she supposed to?" Mrs. Cake asked.

"Nah. She just does sometimes." Dash said shrugging, "Thanks anyway." she said leaving the bakery and heading toward the Library.

Rainbow Dash trotted briskly up to the Library and knocked on the door, "Twilight? Are you in there?" she called.

Twilight answered the door after a few moments, "Hi Dash come on in." she said holding the door for her friend, I've been reading more about forgiven Vagabonds, and it looks like I was mistaken. The ones that were forgiven didn't go on to live normal lives, they lived extraordinary lives." Twilight said closing the door.

Twilight lead Rainbow Dash toward her reading podium and pointed to an old book with her hoof, "The first forgiven Vagabond created the Royal Guard and became the first Captain of Princess Celestia's Royal Guard. The second founded Fillydelphia. She was the Mayor for over 50 years. The third became an ambassador to the Zebras, and the fourth was the cartographer responsible for all the maps of Equestria we still use today. He died more than 200 years ago, but he was the most recent. They all had other things in common too. They all married, they all traveled a lot after they were forgiven, they all became both famous and important in their times." Twilight explained.

"O.K. so what's your point Twilight?" Rainbow Dash asked raising a hoof.

"My point is, that if this pattern is any indicator, this Vagabond is going to be very important or at least do something important, which means he needs to know he's forgiven." Twilight explained excitedly

"Yeah, I get that Twilight, but remember what Arabesque said." Rainbow Dash reminded her overexcited friend.

"Which was?" Twilight asked, mildly exasperated.

"You told me, Arabesque said we have to see him cry for someone other than himself. We can't rush this, we have to wait for him." Rainbow Dash said sagely.

"I'm not sure you understand how important this is, Rainbow Dash." Twilight said.

"I get that he'll be important, but if we tell him before he's ready, it would be betraying Arabesque. She entrusted this to me and I'm going to do it right." Dash said stomping her right fore hoof.

Twilight stopped her ranting for a moment and turned slowly toward her friend, "Of all my friends you would be the last I would ever expect to want to wait to do something, Rainbow Dash."

Dash stomped both her front hooves on the ground and grunted in frustration, "I know! And I hate it! But this is the way it has to be. I … I just … feel it."

Twilight's mind began to spin, and her substantial intellect began working.

In mere milliseconds she had puzzled through thousands of possibilities and come down to a conclusion, "You know Rainbow Dash I think you're right. Arabesque said the Vagabond would need the Elements of Harmony, and your Element is Loyalty. By refusing to tell the Vagabond he's forgiven prematurely you're being loyal to both Arabesque and the Vagabond. I think we just need to stay nearby the Vagabond and everything will just happen, it's in our natures. We personify the Elements of Harmony by proximity alone."

Rainbow Dash shook her head, rolling her eyes, "You know what I think Twilight? I think you're way over thinking this."

Twilight was off in her own world and didn't hear her friend, "It's simple, we just..." Twilight stopped mid-sentence as Rainbow Dash shoved her hoof into her muzzle.

"Let's just go visit him O.K.?" Dash asked.

Twilight, with a muzzle full of hoof, nodded apologetically.

******************************************************************************************************************

Applejack was pooped, "Ah guess Ah never realized just how much Big Macintosh did 'round here. When he hurt himself during the last Applebuck Season he still did his chores, he just couldn't buck apples. Whew doggy! I'll be glad when he's back." Applejack was so busy talking to herself she failed to notice anypony sneaking up on her.

"Hiya sis!" Applebloom shouted.

Applejack jumped nearly four feet straight into the air, "Applebloom! Don't sneak up on me like that! Yall near' done gave me a heart attack."

"Hi Applejack!" Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle shouted from behind Applejack.

Applejack jumped again even higher. She landed awkwardly and overbalanced. She fell forward and landed on her chest, eyes rolling. The three Cutie-mark Crusaders laughed uproariously as Applejack came to her senses and stood up shakily.

"Ha ha, very funny." Applejack said sarcastically, "Why ain't yall playin' in your tree house?" she asked.

"We want to visit the hurt pony at Fluttershy's" Applebloom said, "Can you take us Applejack, please?"

The three fillies perfectly executed their pleading stare, directing all the intense cuteness straight at Applejack. Few there are who could withstand such an onslaught; Applejack was not among them.

Applejack sighed heavily, "Alright girls. Go tell Granny Smith we're headin' out."

The three fillies galloped away, toward the farmhouse, in a cloud of dust.

******************************************************************************************************************

"He's mean then he's nice,
He acts cold as ice,
He's sweet and he's kind,
Can't tell what's on his mind,
He is truly good,
Eats Fluttershy's food . . . No that won't work either." Pinkie Pie was busy composing a suitable song for Vagabond.

Pinkie trotted along the path to Fluttershy's cottage humming happily, and somewhat vacantly to herself as her saddlebags, filled with baked goods, jostled on her sides. The ground around her seemed to vibrate suddenly. Pinkie Pie turned her head and looked behind her. A small, giggling cloud of dust rushed at her, bypassed her and halted expectantly at the door to Fluttershy's cottage just ahead.

Applejack walked shakily up next to Pinkie Pie, "So . . . much . . . energy." Applejack panted haggardly.

Pinkie Pie put a hoof to her muzzle to stifle a sudden fit of the giggles.

Applejack shot Pinkie Pie a scowl, "Ah'd like to see you keep up with those three."

The statement only caused further merriment from the pink pony. Pinkie Pie looked like she was about ready to explode with laughter. Applejack rolled her eyes, 'Whoever can figure out Pinkie Pie is a better pony that me.' Applejack thought.

Motion caught Applejack's eye. She snapped her head up. Fluttershy had opened her door and let the Cutie-mark Crusaders in. Applejack was so relieved seeing Applebloom and her friends safe, she collapsed onto the path with a heavy thump. Pinkie Pie laughed so hard she almost fell over.

******************************************************************************************************************

"Want some help?" Big Macintosh asked.

Vagabond shook his head, "No thanks. I need to do this on my own." he grunted trying to stand.

Vagabond lowered his front hooves onto the floor and flexed his joints down then up several times slowly, testing them. The shifting muscles made the bandage over his wing stumps rub abrasively and painfully. Fluttershy had already given Vagabond his morning dose of pain medication, so the discomfort was manageable, if barely. His forelegs held strong so he inched his way forward at an angle and slowly lowered his left hind leg down. He could easily feel the stiffness as he unfolded the joint. He slowly shifted his weight onto the limb and found it strong as ever. Feeling confident, he simply pulled his right hind leg off the couch and stood. The wingless royal blue pegasus was feeling quite good.

Vagabond shook out his mane loosening himself up, "Ah, to be mobile again." he said grinning, "I will have to be going soon, tomorrow morning I believe. I should be well enough by then."

"How are you even able to walk Vagabond?" Fluttershy asked, "Less than two days ago you couldn't even move."

"It isn't natural for anypony to heal this rapidly. I'll show you how it works before I go." Vagabond said.

A familiar scent wafted by Angel's nose as he sat on his almost-constant perch, nestled in Fluttershy's mane. His ears stood up ramrod straight, he sat up alert, and turned toward the door, just as Applejack and Pinkie Pie walked in.

Vagabond looked toward the door, "I don't have an answer for you yet Applejack. I'm working on it though." He said taking the initiative boldly.

Applejack smiled lightly, "That's alright," she said, "Long as you're workin' on it."

"Thank you Applejack." Vagabond said humbly, "You really helped me out a lot. Your honesty was brutal, but I think it was exactly what I needed."

Applejack blushed, slightly embarrassed, "Aw shucks," she said, scuffing the floor with her hoof, "Weren't nothin. Honesty is mah Element after all."

Vagabond cocked his head to the side, puzzled, "Your Element?" he asked.

"The Elements of Harmony, silly." Pinkie Pie piped up, "Applejack is Honesty, Fluttershy is Kindness, I'm Laughter, Rarity is Generosity, Rainbow Dash is Loyalty, and Twilight is Magic. That's how we defeated Nightmare Moon and restored Princess Luna."

"I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what all that means. Could somepony explain it to me?" Vagabond asked quizzically.

Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Applejack took turns relating the events centered around Nightmare Moon.

******************************************************************************************************************

Rarity had caught up with Rainbow Dash and Twilight on the path to Fluttershy's. Dash and Twilight were glad to see Rarity but the questions she was asking were beginning to make Twilight uncomfortable. Twilight answered Rarity's questions as best she could. The topic was unusual and rarely discussed among average ponies, but Twilight had a firm grasp of the concept.

"Why did you ask me all that Rarity? It's really unusual for anypony to discuss it." Twilight said.

"I know darling, but I want to make sure I get it right." Rarity said.

"Are you thinking about getting one, Rarity?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Heaven's no." Rarity said then sighed, "I suppose an explanation is in order." Rarity drew in a deep breath, "I was horribly rude yesterday and I want Vagabond to know how sorry I am. I'm going to give him one that I shall make for him. I jumped to a conclusion about him at first, but then I went back over to Fluttershy's to see him yesterday and learned that he isn't at all what I thought." Rarity admitted.

"From my understanding, I would think that no Vagabond is what they seem to be." Twilight said sagely, "In fact I have a sort of gift for him myself."

Rainbow Dash and Rarity looked at each other quizzically. Both friends noted that Twilight carried nothing with her.

Rainbow Dash was the first to ask, "Uh Twilight, how can you give Vagabond something if you don't have anything with you?"

"Not all gifts have to be physical Dash. My gift is magical. I stayed up late last night memorizing a spell I asked Princess Celestia for. It actually took a bit of convincing to get her to send me the spell on a scroll. After I had the spell I had to modify it so I could cast it on others. Princess Celestia made me promise not to use it unless she says it's alright. She said it could be dangerous if it is misused."

"Well come on darling, what is it?" Rarity asked.

Twilight shook her head, "I'm sorry Rarity I can't discuss the details. I'm only planning on casting it this one time. Don't worry everypony will be there."

"I'm glad we're almost to Fluttershy's. This suspense is killing me." Rainbow Dash said.

******************************************************************************************************************

"Wow!" Vagabond said, eyes wide, "That is some tale! It sounds like you six are real heroines. I had no idea I was being cared for by living legends."

"Silly," Pinkie Pie said, "We're not legends; we're just us."

Vagabond chuckled at Pinkie's response and was about to say something when somepony knocked at the cottage door.

Pinkie Pie appeared at the door like magic and opened it wide, "Hi, Dr. Mend." she greeted.

Dr. Mend entered the Cottage and set down his bag, "Hello Pinkie Pie." he greeted.

Dr. Mend was about to speak but before he could, he spotted Vagabond.

The older earth pony's mouth dropped open, "How . . . how can you be standing?" he asked.

Vagabond took a step back, lowering his head defensively and did not answer. Big Macintosh and Fluttershy eyed Dr. Mend warily.

Fortunately, the Cutie-mark Crusaders didn't notice the adults making faces at each other, "Hi Dr. Mend!" they chimed in unison.

The three absurdly cute voices shook Dr. Mend out of his shocked state, "Oh hello Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom." He said acknowledging the three, then turned to Applejack and Pinkie Pie, "Would you two girls be kind enough to take the fillies outside to play? I have to change Vagabond's bandages."

Pinkie Pie smiled hugely, "Okie-dokie-lokie." she said, "Come on girls, let's go play tag."

Applejack was not fooled one bit. She had immediately seen Fluttershy's expression not to mention that of Big Macintosh and Vagabond's posture on top of that. She decided that Big Mac and Fluttershy would tell her what was up if they felt it was important. She left behind Applebloom and closed the door behind her.

As soon as Applejack closed the door, Dr. Mend opened his bag and began talking, "I admit I'm amazed you're standing. You may want to lie down, this will probably be quite uncomfortable. I need to unwrap the bandage and examine the stitches to ensure infection hasn't set in again. I have some steroids for your immune system and some more pain medication. Oh, and by the way," Dr. Mend said looking at Fluttershy, "There will be no charge for my services. I'll leave some spare bandages with you when I go."

Dr. Mend looked up at the stunned expressions of the three ponies around him and stood up straight, "I am not so proud as to be unable to admit when I am in the wrong. Yesterday I did something cruel and caused you pain Vagabond. Don't get it into your head that I like you, or like that you are here, but that doesn't change the fact that you are my patient. As my patient, you deserve the best treatment I can provide no matter how I feel about you personally. I had forgotten why I chose this line of work and somepony was nice enough to remind me." Dr. Mend explained, "Now if that is enough, I have work to do."

Vagabond sat down on his haunches, hiding a slight smile, "Let's get this over with then."

******************************************************************************************************************

Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were playing a rowdy game of tag while Applejack and Pinkie Pie watched, "Ah wonder why Fluttershy and Big Mac were lookin' at Dr. Mend like that?" Applejack asked.

"Like what?" Rainbow Dash asked landing next to Applejack.

Applejack was so startled, she reared back and fell over onto Pinkie Pie, who was on her other side.

Pinkie Pie, being Pinkie Pie just laughed, "Good one Rainbow Dash!" she snorted.

"Thanks Pinkie, but what did you mean Applejack?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Applejack picked herself up off Pinkie Pie, who was still laughing, "They were eyeballin' Dr. Mend somethin' funny, when we left."

"Who was?" Twilight asked walking up with Rarity beside her.

Applejack put a hoof over her eyes and sighed, heavily, "For the last time, Fluttershy and Big Mac were lookin' at Dr. Mend real odd-like when Pinkie Pie and Ah brought Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom out here so they wouldn't have to watch Vagabond's bandages bein' changed!" Applejack said more loudly than she meant to."

"No need to get upset darling, we were just curious." Rarity said.

Applejack felt bad, she hadn't meant to snap, "Ah'm sorry everypony. Ah guess Ah'm just tired. Ah'm not used to doin' all the chores by mah self, on the farm."

"Apology accepted, Applejack." Rarity said, "I believe I know why they were looking at Dr. Mend so oddly though."

"So, tell us." Rainbow Dash said eagerly.

"Well when I was visiting yesterday, apparently Dr. Mend had left some anesthetics for Vagabond when he first treated him, but took them back and didn't give Vagabond anything for the pain before he left. Vagabond laid on one of his wing stumps and . . . um . . . kind of lost it, before he passed out from the pain."

Rainbow Dash took to the air angrily, "Why that rotten . . . ugh! I'm going to show him pain!"

Applejack reacted first and grabbed Rainbow Dash by the tail with her teeth, her weight as an earth pony easily outweighing Dash's wings. Applejack was glad she could react so quickly. If Rainbow Dash had been able to gain any momentum or kinetic energy behind her, she wouldn't have been able to hold the wiry pegasus mare.

"It's alright darling." Rarity said, "It was cruel but Fluttershy went and must have convinced Dr. Mend to recant, because she came back with the pain medication. I'm sure Fluttershy and Big Macintosh will ensure there is not a repeat performance on Dr. Mend's part."

Rainbow Dash settled down somewhat and landed, "He better not try it again." she grumbled.

"Applejack, do you think you could take Applebloom and her friends back to the farm for a while? Rarity and I have some things to do that they shouldn't witness." Twilight said.

"Like what?" Applejack asked cocking an eyebrow.

"I have a spell that they shouldn't see. I'm going to cast it for the Vagabond. It's not dangerous per se, but it's not something they should be exposed to. I'm afraid I can't elaborate further. You just have to trust me." Twilight explained.

"Well, alright then Twilight. Ah'll just have to ask Granny Smith to watch 'em." Applejack said standing.

Applejack drew in a deep breath, "Applebloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle! Come 'ere!"

The three fillies zipped up to Applejack in a flash, "What's up sis?" Applebloom asked.

"Ah need yall to come with me back to Sweet Apple Acres." Applejack said.

Three cute faces put on their most adorable pouty expressions,
"Aww."

Applejack suddenly had a thought, "Ah'm goin' to get the cart so we can bring Vagabond to the farm tonight. He's leavin' in the mornin' and Ah wanted to make him some food for his trip."

The Cutie-mark Crusaders found the idea acceptable and Applejack led them off toward the farm straightaway.

******************************************************************************************************************

"Everything looks, well, remarkably good. I'm amazed at how quickly you recover. I would expect most ponies to take two weeks to recover this much, not two days." Dr. Mend said astonished,"Going on everything I know, your recovery is utterly impossible."

Vagabond had been checked, dosed, and freshly bandaged. He was feeling refreshed and better than ever. The new bandages were cool and comfortable. They rubbed gently on the stumps, lubricated by the ointment Dr. Mend had applied. He could move without much pain, if he moved slowly and carefully.

Vagabond walked carefully over to his saddlebags and pulled out a mortar and pestle, "I have a talent for herbal remedies and, I think, alchemy. I managed to sneak out last night and found some plants and roots. It was about all I could do but it worked. I mixed up a potion that I discovered by accident about ten years ago. It multiplies the body's natural healing, and it has no side effects. It continues to work for three days. I'd be more than happy to give you the formula, but I need you to do something for me before I do."

"And what would that be?" Dr. Mend asked suspiciously.

Vagabond looked Dr. Mend dead in the eye, "Promise me that you won't ever charge anyone for it." he said seriously.

Dr. Mend was taken aback, but held his expression, "I make enough bits for my regular services. Very well, you have my word Vagabond."

Vagabond hid a knowing smirk, as he reached into his saddlebags, "I took the liberty of making three copies of it. One is for you Fluttershy." Vagabond said passing a sheaf of parchment to Fluttershy.

Vagabond then turned to Dr. Mend, "I had originally planned to ask Fluttershy to deliver it to you with the understanding that it should be cost-free, but since you're here, I can give it to you myself." Vagabond said giving Dr. Mend two copies of the recipe, "Give the other copy to somepony who is good with herbs and natural remedies. Feel free to make copies as you see fit. I have a sample of the ingredients and the potion. There is enough for four doses. Fluttershy, Dr. Mend do you have containers?"

Fluttershy dashed into the kitchen and grabbed a tiny spice jar. Dr. Mend rooted around in his bag and came out with a metal-topped glass jar. Fluttershy and Dr. Mend set down their containers in front of Vagabond.

While Vagabond poured the runny paste into the respective containers, Dr. Mend couldn't help but to ask, "You planned to give me a copy of your potion even before you knew I was willing to help you again, and after what I said and did? I don't understand."

Vagabond finished pouring the concoction into the jars and set down the bowl, "You said what you did because you wanted to protect Ponyville. You may have been cruel to me, but everypony experiences a lapse of judgment. I figured if the citizens of Ponyville trusted you, it was because you earned it. I decided that the ponies who would do the most good were the trusted doctor and the veterinarian. You and Fluttershy were the only logical choices I could think of, despite any feelings I might have."

Dr. Mend gingerly placed the jar into his bag, "I still don't like that a Vagabond is here, but . . . uh . . . thanks"

Vagabond bowed his head slightly, "So long as you care about your patients, I can live with that."

Vagabond's words struck home like a knife blade, "Well then," Dr. Mend said picking up his bag, "I need to be going. I did leave the steroids and pain medication with you didn't I?" Dr. Mend asked.

Vagabond nodded, "I already put the bottles in my saddle bags. Thank you."

"I'll see you around Fluttershy, Big Macintosh." Dr. Mend said to each then turned to Vagabond, "I hope I don't have to see you again, as a Vagabond." Dr. Mend quickly said then closed the door behind him.

"I wonder what he meant by that?" Fluttershy asked.

Big Macintosh smiled knowingly, "Ah think Ah'll let Vagabond answer that."

Vagabond turned toward Fluttershy, "I think that was his own way of wishing me luck."

******************************************************************************************************************

Pinkie Pie came back in, followed by Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity who carried saddle bags as heavily laden as Pinkie's.

"Where are Applejack, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Applebloom?" Fluttershy asked.

"Twilight and I have some things to give Vagabond that we felt the fillies shouldn't be privy to darling." Rarity said.

"I've taken enough. I don't want to impose." Vagabond said yawning loudly, "Excuse me, the pain killers are making me sleepy."

"That's quite alright darling. Take a nap. We'll still be here." Rarity said placatingly.

"But . . . " Vagabond began.

Rarity interrupted him, "I won't hear another word. We shall discuss it when you wake up."

"I'm sorry," Vagabond said, yawning again, "The new stuff Dr. Mend gave me is supposed to make me sleepy. I thought I could handle it but I'm just too tired." he said making his way to the couch.

Vagabond lay down and fell asleep almost instantly.

Rarity took off her saddle bags, "Does anypony know what his original cutie-mark looked like?"

"Ayup." Big Macintosh said, "His cutie-marks are in his saddle bags. He showed Fluttershy and Ah last night."

"Since he showed you, would it be alright if I saw . . ." Rarity began, then stopped. Her eyes bulged, "How is his cutie-mark IN his saddle bags?"

Fluttershy averted her eyes, "Oh Rarity, it was horrible! Vagabond said when he was exiled somepony cut them off him and left them in his saddle bags." she explained.

Rarity swallowed hard, steeling herself, "May I see them?" she asked.

"Why Rarity?" Fluttershy asked.

"I'd rather not say yet." Rarity said pulling a sketch pad out of her saddle bags.

Rarity reached out and gently shook Vagabond. He didn't respond so she shook him harder. When he still didn't respond, Rarity put both hooves against his side and pushed hard, rocking him back and forth.

Vagabond cracked open his eyes and looked at Rarity, barely awake, "Huh," he asked sleepily, "What is it miss Rarity?"

"May I see your cutie-mark please?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah, s . . . sure I guess." Vagabond said.

Vagabond laid his head back down and almost instantly began snoring again. Rarity cringed as she approached Vagabond's saddlebags. Twilight's curiosity was piqued so she opened the saddlebags and levitated out the two patches of Vagabond's hide.

She levitated them over to Rarity, "I'll hold them for you Rarity. I think I know what you're planning considering what you asked me about earlier."

"Thank you Twilight." Rarity said picking up a charcoal pencil, and began sketching.

Everypony watched Rarity mimic the design. Vagabond's cutie-mark design was of a mortar and pestle with a mushroom, a root, and a flower inside then a trio of Dock leaves behind it all.

Author's Note:

Truthseeker here,
Chapter 7 edited as best as I can given the time restraint. As always if you happen to find any spelling errors and typos please let me know.