• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 1,367 Views, 21 Comments

Fred Walsh: Diverted - Baguettedood



Fred Walsh returns to Equestria after he is forcibly bounced back through his return wormhole.

  • ...
5
 21
 1,367

Chapter 14 - Contemplations

Chapter 14 – Contemplations
"My reaction to Cadance asking about the topaz was a bit over the top; I'm suspecting that I might be the issue here when things are offensive, rather than them. I suppose that makes some semblance of sense, I don't exactly belong in this universe after all.

"Though, even if I could go home right now, I wouldn't. It'd probably be better for Equestria once I leave, but I have some things to finish beforehand. First and foremost, taking care of DemonTrixie. Only then will I let myself leave. Well, that is assuming that Midgård is actually able to reform another wormhole."


Fred Walsh looked up from the Scavenger Watch after a session of updating his vlog. 'There's no practical reason for recording this beside slowing my gradual loss of sanity,' he thought. He paced the room, almost on a nostalgia trip, but it wasn't exactly long enough to call it that. 'I wonder where the headphone cable generator went.'

The blue guest room was shaped in a circle, and as per its name, very blue-oriented and oddly enough, it matched his attire 'It's like I can just camouflage in here.' The carpets, walls and bedding were all various shades of the colour. The human noticed all of this as he walked in circles, tangent to the wall.

Fred returned to his thought process about himself being the problem of offensiveness. In contemplation, the human circled the guest room a few more times before he went outside into the corridors to go on a walk.


Elsewhere in Canterlot Castle, Princess Cadance and Shining Armor escorted Twilight Sparkle to her accommodation within. This guest room's colour matched that of the unicorn's coat: Lavender. As with the blue guest room, this one had everything colour shifted. The floors, walls and bedding all the same.

“You can rest here, Twily,” the colt assured, though it was only 11 AM.

“Thanks, brother.”

“Anytime, sis.”

“As much as I don't want to think about it, I need to know anything I can about this demon,” Twilight said. She left the room as it was, taking Cadance with her to the castle's library. They both still had much to discuss as well. Shining Armor remained behind, so for the time being, he returned to his post as captain of the royal guard.


Feeling slightly depressed at his current revelation, Fred continued to traverse the castle's corridors. 'Okay, I definitely overreacted. I'll fix it when I next see Cadance.'

With his reaction taken care of, he next opted to finish some things from his last adventure. 'I know I promised myself I wouldn't keep thinking about it, but I really want to know where those cables went off to.' To begin his next goal of finding the remains of the earphone graveyard and the rest of the first wormhole's ejections, he set off for the main chamber. The castle's lab wasn't far off from there, as he remembered. He also wanted to check on calculator developments. He knew that the basic arithmetic calculator was already common but not so much on scientific and graphing ones.


“There's nothing in here!” Twilight exclaimed to Cadance. The castle's semi-public library had no information on demons, though they don't exactly show up often.

“It was unlikely you'd find something here, Twilight. History might have something on Potens Daemonium though, but his body was destroyed,” the Crystal Empire princess advised.

The unicorn magicked some books over from the history section and began skimming through the titles. Most of them contained unrelated information, but after scrolling many books past her, one book looked relevant: 'daemonium impetum'. Translated, it read 'Demon Attack'. She read the blurb.

'Read the story behind the demon attack of 796, the cultist plotters and those who saved our country.'

“I think I found something!” she excitedly stated. Twilight began reading the volume to find out whatever she could about the thing that has been hunting her. Know your enemy, after all.


Fred entered Canterlot Castle's science lab, the same one he frequented last time. On his current entrance, everything was neat, clean and empty. 'Well, it was a long shot after all. At least they made use of the calculator.' He checked the time on the watch: 12:23 PM. He opted to look around the room a little more before heading back.

Packed up were various items of research and development, including more practical types of calculator, such as scientific and graphing calculators. He took one out to test.

The calculator he selected had many buttons. Since it seems the ponies mastered the basic calculator, it continued with the convention of basic arithmetic and on/off. It appeared much bulkier, and the display was about twice the size. He pressed the on button. The scientific device switched on, with only a black flashing vertical bar able to determine its state. The human pressed a few buttons to check square roots.

'Beginning with perfect square roots... root nine equals three... yep, that works. Root mean square, aka square root of two... aaaand it crashed. That was fast.' Fred reset it, made sure it worked as before, and put it back away before he left the lab.


Twilight finished reading Daemonium Impetum only an hour after beginning. The book contained drawn accounts of Potens Daemonium's appearance, along with anecdotes of those who witnessed him. Very little was actually written about the demon itself – the ponies knew nothing of it except it was big, red and wanted to destroy Canterlot before the original STF put a stop to that.

The book didn't actually mention the Solar Task Force either, just that a spontaneous team, even including Princess Celestia herself, quickly formed together and took the demon down from the inside.

The history book provided some interesting information to Twilight, but nothing that could be useful to her current situation. She spent a few moments replacing the books to their original locations before she and Cadance left the castle's library.