• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 1,367 Views, 21 Comments

Fred Walsh: Diverted - Baguettedood



Fred Walsh returns to Equestria after he is forcibly bounced back through his return wormhole.

  • ...
5
 21
 1,367

Chapter 13 - Next Step

Chapter 13 – Next Step
"So I'm Back in Canterlot again. You know, it seems like just yesterday I was- Oh... wait. Although, going between Ponyville and Canterlot repeatedly rather changes your perspective slightly. Let's see. I first arrived here via a wormhole, then after being diverted, I walked here from Everfree, then Twilight teleport bounced her way here... Telebounced? After that, we took the train to Ponyville, and just before, a chariot back here, yet even after all this travelling, we've hardly gone anywhere.

"As said just before, Twilight and I are in Canterlot now, for protection against DemonTrixie. Said demon seems to be after Twilight and has his own harmonic gemstones. Not a clue on how Potens Daemonium possessed Trixie, but it can't be good. Though, the strangest thing is that he's only shown up just as I return. Could be coincidental timing or some weird link, I dunno."


“I was so worried about you.” Princess Celestia breathed a sigh of relief that her protégé remained unharmed after the incident yesterday. 'Shipping' briefly crossed Fred's mind before he discarded the thought as they embraced each other. “What happened? You were brief in your letter.”

Twilight returned her mind to the events of last night. She shuddered before recounting the events to her mentor as them, Fred and some guards walked through the castle. “After it fled, we took the gems and went straight back to Ponyville and I sent the letter.”

“If it's Potens Daemonium as I think it is – He, I guess, did address me as The Destroyer,” the human mentioned, “then that demon isn't going to give up.” 'Now, unless I'm a time traveller, I haven't destroyed anything else. Wait, how can I be profiling a demon I've only seen once?'

“Indeed, it is very likely that another attack may happen again,” Celestia began as they approached a double-door. “But you needn't worry,” her horn lit the colour of the sun, an identical glow engulfing the door as it opened, “the best protection will be put into keeping you safe, my student.”

Fred knew the contents of the room mere seconds before he could see inside. “Totally called it.” Princess Cadance and Shining Armor stood in the centre of the chamber. “Also, great dramatic entrance.”

Twilight stopped, as if in contemplation about who she wanted to talk to first. After a few moments, she selected her foalsitter to converse with. As she trotted to Cadance, Fred went to speak with Shining Armor.

“So, STF, then,” 'that was certainly insanely obvious,' the human spoke and thought.

“Yes, both myself and Cadance.” He smiled at his wife. “What happened to my sister?” His tone became a lot more serious.

Fred explained what happened as Twilight did just before to Celestia. “Since you're here, you know why she is.”

“You're right, I'm not going to let anything happen to Twily.”

“How'd you get into the Solar Task Force anyway?” Since the past few days seemed to relate to the guild, he thought to ask about some history.

“It's a long story, but back when I was simply a regular guard, I assisted in investigating some phenomena some years ago. Cadance was involved, too. I think she put in a good word for me,” he explained the short version.

As the two males conversed, Twilight and her former foalsitter did the same.

“How long have you been in the STF?”

"It's more of an honorary position; I've been part of them since I came here from the Crystal Empire,” Cadance began.

“But I've known you since you were my foalsitter...” The unicorn still didn't understand.

“I'll state this directly. Your mentor knew you would bear the Element of Magic long before you did, even before your entrance exam,” she explained.

“But if she knew, then...”

“I'll give you a hint.” the alicorn smiled. “We're doing the same thing right now.”

“You watched over me so I could become Magic? Celestia's been planning this for decades,” Twilight realised as she thought back on all her life's events. As she did so, she and Fred swapped conversation partners. The human switched to talk to Cadance while the scholar spoke to her brother.

“So, you're Princess Cadance,” she was the only one he hadn't met yet, “and from what I overheard, of the Solar Task Force.”

“And Princess to the Crystal Empire,” she added.

“Mental note: I really need to learn some geography. It seems that I must have missed that the last few times I was in a library.”

Cadance felt something. “Hold on, something's not right.” The pink alicorn's horn ignited blue for a few seconds. “Where did you get that topaz?”

“Oh, how is this my fault‽” he exclaimed. “I touch a glowing gem, big explosion, I wake up later and it's gone.” He walked off and looped around the room until everypony finished their conversations. Once they had, Princess Celestia and the STF faced Twilight and Fred, who had his arms crossed.

“Well then, what now?” the unicorn pondered out loud to everypony in the room.

The solar princess replied, “The best we can do is to ensure you, my student, remain protected if this happens again.”

“So we're staying here until DemonTrixie comes for us.” Fred sighed. “I'll try to help exorcise this thing when we get to it.”

“I don't want it to go near me again.” Twilight shivered as she recalled the events once more. She buries the thought again so she could think straight.

“Until then, accommodation is in order.” She gestured for Fred to follow her, while the STF directed the lavender mare.

“I'm sure you recognise where you'll be staying, if it's only been a week for you,” Celestia said as she and the human approached a door in the castle. With a click and golden glow, the door unlocked, revealing a cylindrical blue bedroom room.

“Oh hey, the blue guest room. Looks exactly the same as it did last time.” He was right. The guest room remained virtually untouched. Carpet was clean, bed made, everything. The solar alicorn walked off to leave Fred alone.