• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 452 Views, 2 Comments

Backfire's Story - Backfire_Sparks



This is his story, nothing more, nothing less.

  • ...
 2
 452

Chapter 1

It was a dark an lonely night. As Backfire flew through the forest a roar was heard behind him, but he didn’t look back he knew he had to find somewhere safe to hide. Flying low and fast, he spotted a small familiar cave he would often play at as a filly; he quickly flew, landed and ran into the cave hoping he hadn’t been spotted by the dragon. He trotted to the back of the cave and quickly hid behind and boulder that had always been there, and waited. It was several seconds before he heard the sounds of giant wings flapping and then a “thud” against the ground, then he smelt the smell of smoke and burnt meat in the cave, the dragons head was snaking its way into the cave. Backfire froze, he didn’t even breathe, hoping that the dragon would not notice him behind the boulder, seconds passed but they felt like hours to him. Finally the dragons head retreated, and he flew away into the darkness.
Backfire breathed a sigh of relief, as the dragon was leaving he decided to search the cave, it had been years since he had been there. Then a glimmer in the back of the cave caught his attention, “what is that?” he said. As he was walking towards it, it moved, he froze, unsure if it was dangerous or just his imagination. “Hello?” he called. It moved again, he took a step forward, “hello?” he asked again, getting closer. Once he was a few yards away, the thing woke up and started growling, alarmed backfire froze and stretched his wings out, and got low to the ground. “Who are you?” he called, the shadow responded with a low growl and said, “why did you come here!? To hurt me and shun me like the rest of them?” Backfire looked at the mysterious shadow and said, “What? No, I would never do that to someone who I don’t even know!” The shadow moved into the glow of the crystals in the cave, its shape draconic, “you’re a dragon!?” backfire exclaimed. The dragon popped its small head up, “yeah I’m a dragon what of it?” the dragon said as lying down on the floor of the cave. “I just escaped from one, he was chasing me”
“Hah why was he doing that?” the dragon said.
“Because I stole some gems from his cave” Backfire said with a grin. “By the way, what’s your name? I’m Backfire, Nice to meet you.”
“I’m Crystal, nice to meet you too” she said, “So how did you get those gems from that dragon?” she asked.
“Oh that’s easy all I did was…wait what time is it?” he asked.
“Uhm I’m not sure, let’s go see” she said walking towards the cave entrance.
Backfire gazed as she walked by, her scales were a beautiful shade of blue, and her wings were a lighter shade of her scales. As he continued on he noticed that her tail had small spikes at the end of it, he couldn’t help but wonder why she lived in this cave and why she didn’t have any parents with her. When they exited the cave Backfire noticed that it was morning and he was probably late for breakfast. He said to Crystal, “I’ve got to get back to my home; my parents must be worried sick.” He started to fly upwards, “O-oh wait!” Crystal said, he stopped mid-flight and turned around to face her. “Y-you’ll come back right?” she asked looking towards the ground, “it’s quite lonely here and I’d still like to know how you got those gems.” Backfire responded, “Of course I’ll come back, I wouldn’t miss a chance to make a friend.” And with that he flew back home.