• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 2,161 Views, 49 Comments

Navigating the Darkness - CoverArt



Sometimes people need to go through dark times to find the light.

  • ...
4
 49
 2,161

A Night Visit (Edited)

Sunset and Fluttershy just stared at the two girls standing on the porch. Aria looked nervous, glancing at the street as if she were expecting something to come out of nowhere. Though, if the rumor the two girls heard was true, then it could be the police looking for them. Sonata, on the other hand, seemed darker. She had her arms crossed, and her face held a scowl that was very unnatural for who they remembered as a naturally happy and ditzy girl. It seemed to them like the sisters almost--

“Are you going to talk to us, or are you just going to stand there and stare?” Sonata asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

Fluttershy let out a small squeak before answering, “Oh, I’m sorry. Uh, how can we help you?”

“Well, you see, we, well…” Aria glanced down the street again.

“Can we come in?” Sonata griped again, though she seemed to be slightly more annoyed. “Come on, it’s freezing out here,” she added. She was telling the truth; it was about forty degrees outside.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Yes, come in, please,” Fluttershy said as she and Sunset moved back to allow the two Dazzlings to walk into the house. Sunset knew for a fact something was up; they were acting odd. Fluttershy led them into the kitchen, while Sunset brought up the rear, closing the door after them.

“Can I get you girls anything?” Fluttershy asked the two. Aria sat down at the table, while Sonata just leaned on one of the counters.

“No, thanks,” Aria said, putting her head in her hands and sighing audibly. Fluttershy nodded and looked to Sonata for her answer.

“Water.”

Fluttershy nodded, went over to one of the cabinets and grabbed a glass. She went over to the water dispenser in her fridge and filled the glass with water. All the while, everyone else in the room was quiet. Sunset figured they were lost in their own thoughts as she herself was. As Fluttershy gave the glass to Sonata, Sunset decided to speak up.

“Fluttershy, can we talk in the living room a minute?”

“Uh, yeah, sure. Do you girls need anything else?” Fluttershy asked, turning to Aria.

“No, we’re okay for right now. We’ll talk when you come back in.”

“Alright.”

With that, Fluttershy and Sunset walked into the next room. When Sunset was sure that the two Sirens weren’t going to hear, she turned and whispered to Fluttershy, “Okay, what’s going on with them?”

“I don’t know. They’re different, I know that. But it’s like they’ve switched roles or something,” Fluttershy replied in almost her normal speaking voice, which, admittedly, was almost anyone else’s normal whispering voice.

“Yeah, wasn’t Aria supposed to be the mean one?”

“I think so, and I remember Sonata being nicer. What happened?”

“Well, I mean, I guess there’s only one way to find out.”

“Girls?” came a new voice from the stairs. They turned and saw Fluttershy’s mother Daisy coming down the stairs.

“Oh, Mom, sorry to wake you,” Fluttershy said.

“That’s okay, dear. Is everything alright? I heard the doorbell and you talking to someone in the kitchen.”

“Oh, a couple of friends dropped by. They need advice on something,” Sunset answered.

“At ten at night?”

“It was important that they came to us now.”

“Well, alright, I’ll trust you girls on this. I’ll be in my office if you need me.” With that, Daisy went into an adjacent room that served as her office.

“Should we go back in now?” Fluttershy asked Sunset.

Sunset sighed, though she smiled before answering, “It’s only fair that we do, right?”

“Yeah, your right.” Fluttershy smiled back.

They turned to the door and walked through to the kitchen. The two Sirens were about the way they left them; Aria was still sitting, and Sonata was still leaning on the counter, nursing the glass of water.

“Took you two long enough!” Sonata exclaimed, both Fluttershy and Sunset wincing as she did so.

“Sonata, please! We’re here to get their help, and they’re not going to want to help if you’re mean to them,” Aria piped up, turning to face Sonata. She then turned back to the two, saying, “Sorry about her. It’s been a hard few days.”

“We heard some stuff. What exactly happened?” Sunset asked as she sat down in front of Aria.

“I’m not a hundred percent sure, either. The night you guys defeated us, Adagio and I got into a fight. We said some things, and she decided to leave. Sonata went with her. What happened while they were out, I have no clue; Sonata hasn’t told me what happened. They were out for a bit, then Sonata runs back into our apartment crying her eyes out and covered in blood. She never said what happened, but I knew--I don’t know how, I just did--Adagio was–“

“Don’t say it!” Sonata hissed, cutting Aria off.

“Sonata, they need to know what happened.”

“Don’t!”

Aria sighed, rubbing her temples before deciding to continue, “I knew that Adagio was dead.”

The next thing the three girls heard was the sound of glass breaking. They gave a collective gasp and turned to see Sonata leaning on the counter, with her hand clenched into fists. Broken glass and water were on the floor below her, as well as some drops of blood that were dripping from her clenched hand.

“Sonata!” Aria exclaimed as she got up and rushed over to her sister. Sonata had her eyes closed, tears were coming out of them, though she still looked angry, probably even angrier than before. Before Sunset or Fluttershy could say anything, Daisy came into the room.

“Is everything alright? I heard glass break.”

“Sonata’s glass broke in her hand. She’s bleeding,” Aria said, tearing up a bit.

“Oh, my! That might be serious!” Daisy said, rushing over to the girl.

“Here, let me see it, dear.”

Sonata hesitated at the request. She opened her eyes and gazed at Aria, who nodded slightly. This was enough for Sonata to release her hand. A few shards of glass fell from it, though plenty of small shards were still embedded in her bleeding hand.

“A-alright. J-just make it snappy, okay?” Sonata seemed to try to regain her air of bitterness, though, either because of the pain or her emotions, it was coming out half-heartedly.

“Okay, dear, come with me into my office.” Daisy took Sonata by the wrist and brought her into the other room.

“Is she going to be okay?” Aria asked, whiping loose tears from her eyes. Fluttershy smiled a bit and put a hand on Aria’s shoulder.

“Don’t worry. She’s in the best hands she can be in; my mom’s a nurse.”

“Everything is just getting worse and worse.”

“It’s okay, Aria. We’re here to help. Speaking of which, why did you come to us in the first place?” Sunset asked, stepping forward.

“We… The cops are looking for us to question us, specifically Sonata, about what happened.”

“Why is that so bad, though? Don’t you girls have nothing to hide?” Fluttershy asked. Sunset shook her head sadly.

“I understand. They can’t. They’re like me; they technically don’t exist to the government. If the police get them, they’ll be locked up for not being citizens,” Sunset explained while putting a hand on Aria’s shoulder.

“Yeah, but even if we had all the proper papers and IDs, Sonata still refuses to talk about that night. They’d probably figure it was her and lock her up. I… I can’t lose her, too.” Aria wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Hey, it’s alright. We’ll help you. I’m sure my mom will let you two stay here in the guest room.” Fluttershy smiled.

“You will? After everything we did to you and your friends?” Aria looked up, confused, though still happy.

“Of course. I got a second chance, so why shouldn’t you girls? Though, I wish we could have given that chance to all of you.” Sunset stood next to Fluttershy. Aria sighed.

“I do too… Thank you both, this really means a lot to us. Hey, wait. If we’re getting the guest bedroom, where is Sunset sleeping?”

“Oh, Sunset’s been sleeping in my room with me since she started living here,” Fluttershy explained.

Aria blinked and looked as if she was putting two and two together before answering, “Honestly, I didn’t think you two were that type. I mean, I thought Sunset had a boyfriend before.”

Fluttershy and Sunset’s eyes widened, and their cheeks turned red. Fluttershy even hid behind her hair, muttering something which Sunset heard as “Oh, my.”

Sunset raised her hands and waved them, “No, no! Nothing like that! We’re not even dating! Right, Fluttershy?”

“Y-yeah. I mean… we could… if you wanted, that is.” Fluttershy’s voice got quieter as the sentence went on, though how that was even possible was beyond Sunset’s ability to process at that point.

“Can we not talk about this now, Fluttershy?” Sunset’s face turned an even deeper shade of red as she tried to make herself as small as possible.

“Sorry,” Fluttershy squeaked. From her seat, Aria smirked a bit, trying hard not to giggle at all.

“Alright, you two convinced me. You two aren’t at all in a relationship. My mistake. I’m going to go check on Sonata.”

Aria then got up and walked out of the room towards the office. Fluttershy started to make her way there, too.

“I should go, too, to ask mom about all this.”

With that, Fluttershy walked out, leaving Sunset alone in the kitchen. Sunset shook her head slightly, coming out of her thoughts. She could think about that later. Besides, she probably heard wrong. Really, why would Fluttershy want to date her, anyway? She was a wreck of a girl. Depression, attempted suicide, self harm, PTSD, who would want someone with all that? No, Fluttershy wouldn’t want her as a girlfriend. She deserved better.

Deciding she didn’t want to be useless at the moment, she set out to clean the remaining broken glass from the floor. It also gave her some time to think about all that’s happened that night, as well as what happened during the day. Unfortunately, it also gave her time to mull over what Fluttershy said and contemplate how unworthy she was of being Fluttershy’s girlfriend.

She hated when she had time to think.