• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 2,157 Views, 49 Comments

Navigating the Darkness - CoverArt



Sometimes people need to go through dark times to find the light.

  • ...
4
 49
 2,157

Rough Start (Edited)

Fluttershy and Sonata rejoined Aria and Sunset as they left Principal Celestia’s office. The former two were silent, and Sunset wondered if they even said anything to each other while she and Aria were inside. Though, knowing Fluttershy, she probably tried, at least.

“So, what did Celestia say?” Fluttershy asked as she walked beside Sunset, closer than normal, though Sunset wondered if that was her imagination or if Fluttershy was doing that because of Sunset’s reaction to the glares earlier. Maybe a bit of both. She dropped her voice to reply, not wanting anyone besides them to hear.

“She said she would be here for Sonata and Aria and that they can go to any of our classes with us. That just leaves us with the question of whose class they're going to go to.”

“Do you girls have any preferences?” Fluttershy glanced back towards the two sisters. Sonata just gave them a shrug.

“The thing is, we haven’t really been to a school in a good few years,” Aria explained. “So, I guess whatever you two decide.”

“I think you two should go with Sunset. Unless you’re interested in sewing or animal sciences,” Fluttershy stated.

“Hmm, I don’t think that would be either of our thing,” Aria answered.

Fluttershy nodded, looking back to Sunset, “I guess they’ll go with you until lunch?”

“I guess. My classes are all general education classes anyway, so it might benefit you girls to go to them.”

“Are you calling us stupid?” Sonata snapped.

“No, no. I’m just saying that I’m not sure how much education you got about this world, and my classes could help you better understand the world.”

Aria put a hand on Sonata’s shoulder. “You know she didn’t mean it like that.”

Sonata just replied with a ‘Hmph’ and continued walking. They continued on in silence before they had to split up. Fluttershy gave Sunset a smile and a hug. “Remember that Rainbow is there for you if you need her, and be careful; some people might not like seeing Aria and Sonata back, especially if you're with them,” she said quietly.

Sunset gladly accepted and returned the hug. “I know. I just hope people aren’t too hard on them. They’ve been through enough.”

“Yeah, hopefully they don’t have to go through any more. Anyway, I should get to class. Have a good day, and see you at lunch.”

“You too, Fluttershy. See ya.”

With that, Fluttershy left the three girls, and the two groups went off to go their respective classes. Sunset and her two companions were about to walk into their classroom before a voice stopped them.

“Hey, you two.”

The three girls turned around. Unsurprisingly, it was Lightning Dust. Sunset figured she would be one of the people most vocal about Aria and Sunset’s presence. Sunset instinctively stepped between Lightning and the two sisters.

“What do you want, Lightning.”

“Step aside, Sunshit. This doesn’t concern you.”

“If you have a problem with them, then you have a problem with me.” By this point, a small group started to gather. Not good, Sunset thought. There were only a few people, but she already felt the eyes of a thousand people on her. Her breathing started to quicken a bit.

“Fine by me, because I do have a problem with you. You think you can do whatever you want. You think we all forgot what you were, what you still are. But we didn’t, and you defending these two bitches proves it.”

Sunset felt her knees weaken, but she stayed standing, though she did shy back. Lightning saw this and smirked as she took a step forward, looking to get into Sunset’s face.

“Lightning, what the hell did I tell you about bullying my friends?”

Sunset gave a small sigh of relief; Rainbow had come around the corner just in time to prevent Lightning from berating them more.

Lightning gave a small growl before turning to look at Rainbow. “That only covered Sunshit. You can’t defend the other two, especially with what the blue one did.”

“You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, Lightning. Now get out of here before you do something you’ll regret.” Rainbow motioned for her to leave with a glare. Lightning glared back as she walked away. The crowd slowly dissipated as well, everyone going to their own classes.

Sunset closed her eyes and took a deep breath, finally relaxing a bit. She flinched as she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned her head to see Aria giving a small smile.

“Thanks for sticking up for us, Sunset.”

Sunset gave a small smile back. “Of course, Aria. I’m just glad Rainbow came when she did. I wasn’t going to last long.”

“Hey, don’t sweat it, Sunset. Lightning knows better than to really do anything to you, and you know I’d never even let her do anything even if she was that stupid,” Rainbow added.

“She’s a bitch,” Sonata stated plainly. The other three girls looked at her, each of them giving a small smirk or chuckle.

“What? She is,” Sonata reaffirmed. This caused the three others laugh a bit, the tension and anxiety fading away by Sonata’s bluntness. Even Sonata seemed to get into it and smirked slightly, the first ounce of happiness either of the two sisters have had in a bit, all thanks to their new friends.

The bell rang, signaling the beginning of class. They did have to explain to the teacher why there were suddenly two new students in his class. Though, after a quick explanation, they were allowed to join the class. The rest of the class was uneventful, some (Rainbow) might even say boring. Both sisters had a bit of a hard time with their work, especially the math, not having needed to do anything like it in a long time, but with Sunset’s and Rainbow’s help, they managed.

English ended up being fairly quiet as well, though at this point, both Aria and Sonata would get the occasional glare or paper ball thrown at them, thought the paper balls soon changed to be aimed at just Aria, as Sonata made it quite clear that she wasn’t going to be having any of it. There were also a few notes passed to the girls and Sunset. Most of the notes made it to them easily enough and simply read ‘Bitch’ or ‘Monster’, though a couple read ‘Murderer’. Aria made sure to avoid letting Sonata know about any of them.

However, it was not going to last. As Aria opened yet another piece of folded paper near the end of class, she was called out.

“Miss Blaze, if you feel the need to pass notes with other students, then I’m sure you won’t mind sharing it with the rest of the class, hmm?” Mr. Doodle crossed his arms at her.

“Are you serious?” Aria looked at the man, knowing what the note said.

“I’m very serious, young lady. If it’s important enough to interrupt class, then you can read it in front of everyone.”

“But--”

“Now, Miss Blaze.” Mr. Doodle tapped his foot with an annoyed glare. Aria sighed and stood up. Already a few chuckles escaped from the classroom before she read, “You and Sonata are whores who should join their sister in hell… Heart, Sunset Shimmer…” Aria just barely managed to keep herself from tearing up as she went back to her seat. She knew the students would be harsh on them, but this was just a whole new level of cruelty. Judging by the snap of a pencil to her right, she knew Sonata probably wasn’t taking this well at all. Soon the whispers of the rest of the class started up.

“That’s enough,” Mr. Doodle silenced the cacophony the best he could before continuing, “Miss Shimmer, report to the Vice Principal’s office immediately.”

“But I didn’t write it!” Sunset tried to explain.

“Just go Sunset. We’ll be okay,” Aria whispered to her. Sunset could have sworn she saw some built-up tears in her eyes, but Aria quickly blinked them away.

“You know I didn’t do it, right?”

“Of course, and I’m sure they'll know, too, but you shouldn’t get in any more trouble.”

“Now, Miss Shimmer.”

Sunset quietly nodded and headed out. At the very least, the sisters had copies of her schedule, so they knew where to go. But that didn’t help with all the bullies. Sunset figured it was one of Lightning’s goons, but she couldn’t understand why they were being so cruel. Yeah, they were cruel to her, but she deserved it. Stop thinking like that. You’re getting past that, she reminded herself. At any rate, this thinking wasn’t going to get her anywhere. She decided to just worry about whether Celestia told Luna about everything that's happened and hope Luna didn’t rip her a new one.

Comments ( 7 )

Things are going to get a helluva lot worse before it gets better. I have a feeling Sonata is going to kick someone's ass before lunch unless Aria can stop her. And I have a feeling Sunset is going to get her ass kicked by Sonata unless convinced that Sunset didn't write that letter.

7988966 She probably does know inside herself that it wasn't Sunset, but her anger about it would cloud her judgement about it.

7989005 That's why I said she had to be convinced... convinced to see reason through her anger (and grief). I still think she is going to kick someone's ass though.

7989082 It will definitely be something to see.

Why doesn't Sunset just tell Lightning Dust to go fuck herself. If it weren't her and the Rainbooms her and everyone else at Canterlot High would be mind slaves so she and the other ungrateful jackasses can go piss up a rope:twilightangry2:

this is dead isn't it?

Is this going to be continued? No rush, just wondering.

Login or register to comment