• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 262 Views, 7 Comments

Tales From the Wasteland - MLRNitevision



Lucky Seven causes a bit of trouble, and as a result, is bannished to the Wasteland

  • ...
 7
 262

Reporting For Duty

Chapter 3: Reporting For Duty

Lucky Seven groaned, and rolled over in her bed. Since she had become an ‘officer’, she was expected to report for duty at six o’clock in the morning. She did not enjoy waking up at any point before noon. However, if she wanted to maintain her cover, and her fake innocence, she had to look the part. It had been three weeks since she had been caught, and by now, she had figured out that she could use her officer job as a way to earn her living within the stable. On this particular morning, she had been assigned to a robbery on a lower level. Her partner, the filly named Zig Zag, had been ordered to work alongside her, making her new mark a little harder to hit.

Lucky Seven had recently learned that just because the mark was harder to hit, didn’t mean it wasn’t worth going after. Her particular target had been robbed of his underground gambling profits. As an officer, it was the unicorn’s job to track down whoever had robbed the stallion, and return the money to him. However, that wasn’t Lucky Seven’s plan. In fact, the thought of returning the money hadn’t crossed her mind even once.

“Come on, Ziggy.” She called to her partner. The filly had already woke up, eaten breakfast, gotten dressed and was ready for work before Lucky Seven had gotten out of bed.

“I’m ready ossifer!” She said cheerfully. Lucky Seven rubbed her temples.

“Ziggy, you are way to chipper.” She groaned.

“Mama used to say I was ‘easily excitable’ and ‘over energetic’.” Ziggy explained. “I just really like my job as an ossifer!”

“I’m glad to hear that, Ziggy.” The unicorn moaned. “I have a very special job for you today. I need you to talk to witnesses and fill out the case report.” Zig Zag’s eyes grew very wide at her assignment. “Think you can handle that?”

“Oh golly, can I!” Zig Zag said happily. She was excited about being assigned the case report.

“Good. I’m going to go handle the victim, and the perpetrator. We’ll meet back here tonight, for some drinks.”

“Yippee!” Zig Zag cheered. “I love it when you take me out for chocolate milk!” The filly clasped her hooves together, her sleeves flopping around, and closed her eyes. She licked her lips as she daydreamed about the tall glass of cold chocolate milk that would be given to her as a reward for a job well done. Lucy Seven rolled her eyes, but smiled on the inside.

“Go on, you. We have work that needs to be done.” Lucky ordered. Zig Zag saluted, accidentally slapping herself in the face with her shirt sleeves as she did so, then raced out the door. The unicorn grinned, and closed the door behind the filly. “Time to go to work.” She said to herself. She paced the length of the room for a couple of minutes before walking back to the door and opening it. After making sure the hallway was clear, she stepped out and put on her hat.

After walking a short distance, Lucky Seven arrived at the door of the pony who had been robbed. She raised her hoof, and gently knocked three times. The door opened slowly, and a worried looking stallion stepped out.

“Good. I’ve been waiting for you.” He said. “I was robbed of a good amount of money. I want it back.” Lucky Seven rested her hoof on the gun holster on her hip. The stallion’s eyes darted from her badge to her gun.

“Sounds like a pretty open and shut case to me” She said casually. “Can you tell me how much was taken?”

“Almost 1,500.” Lucky Seven had to make a conscious effort to not gasp at the amount. In all of her years of gambling, the most she had ever won was a flat one thousand.

“Do you have any pony that you suspect may have taken it?” She asked. The stallion nodded, then produced a photograph from his saddle bag. Lucky Seven took the picture and analyzed it. She knew this pony well. She was one of the dealers that had refused Lucky’s offer to split her dirty profit in exchange for assisting her in cheating. The unicorn grinned from ear to ear as she considered what she could do to this particular mare. Her mind raced as she calculated the possibilities, each scenario ending in the death of the dealer, and money being deposited into her pocket. Lucky Seven grinned, and slid her baton out of its holder.

Once she found the particular door she was looking for, she knocked three times, then pulled her hat down over her eyes to disguise herself from being recognized. The mare opened the door cautiously.

“Good afternoon,” Lucky said, trying to disguise her voice. “We’ve received a complaint from this particular location. Mind if I come in and take a look?” The pegasus shrugged, so Lucky Seven stepped in.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” the mare said over her shoulder. The sound of a hammer clicking into place caused her to turn around. The sight of Lucky Seven with her gun drawn and pointed at her made her blood run cold.

“Look, officer…I don’t know what this is about…” The mare pleaded.

“You stole a significant amount of money from my client.” Lucky Seven growled. “I’m here to get it back.

“Look…I had to use the money to settle a debt. I get my paycheck tomorrow, so I can get you the money then, if you can wait.” She stammered, fearing for her life. Lucky Seven lowered her gun, acting like she was considering the offer.

“I’m sure the original owner of the badge would have taken the deal.” She replied calmly. The other mare’s eyes widened.”

“Original…owner?” She asked. “If you’re not the original owner…who are you?”

“I’m the mare who shot her and took it.” Lucky Seven replied with a savage grin, before raising her gun and firing two shots into the mare’s head and chest.