• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 265 Views, 2 Comments

To Build an Army - Tree Time



When her town is taken over by changelings, one mare's plan to save her sister will take her to a time and place were Sombra's return went unchallenged until it was too late.

  • ...
 2
 265

Chapter 4: Dreams on the Wind

I found myself standing in a dark passageway. Around me, I could hear the sounds of hooves clashing into stone. I moved forward, pulled by a will not fully my own. I began to gallop down a passageway that seemed to run on forever. I saw a light, it was coming from a stone on the ground. I reached my hoof down to touch it, but as I did it transformed into a young looking crystal pony. She had a white opal coloured coat with a long flowing rose quartz shaded mane and tail. Her flank was marked with a single stalk of amber wheat.

“Winnow!” I exclaimed as if I knew her.

Her coat came to life with crystal shine as she began to rush to the sound of my voice. Before she could get to me, chains sprung from the ground and lashed out at her. They bound her around her body, pulling her to the ground. Her body still shining, she pointed up. Above her was the crystal heart, a sneering image of her reflected in it, staring back at her. I watched her vanish, whispers of shimming light flowed from her body into the crystal heart. Without thinking, I jumped at it, pouring all my intention into saving her from its imprisoning confines. My hoof struck the heart sending bits of it raining down around me. I tried to catch the shards as they fell. They twinkled like a soft chime each time a piece hit the ground around.

Then I was out in an open wasteland. The sky was dark, and the ground was dim and sandy. I looked up to see Winnow standing here, her body glowing with crystal light. She playfully pocked my noise with her hoof. Then she was gone and Luna was standing over me. I knelt down to pay my respects. She opened her wings and jumped into the air. I watched her fly high out of sight into the gloom of this weird dark place. I felt something jab at my side. Then I was awake.