• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 265 Views, 2 Comments

To Build an Army - Tree Time



When her town is taken over by changelings, one mare's plan to save her sister will take her to a time and place were Sombra's return went unchallenged until it was too late.

  • ...
 2
 265

Chapter 1: A Nighttime Intrusion

I woke up to the tap of a rock being thrown at my window. Begrudging, I rolled out of bed to investigate the intrusion. I pushed open my bedroom window to see a golden coated mare standing on the path outside my home with a second rock in hoof.

“Shooting Star!” she called to me in loud whisper.

Without really thinking I replied, “what do you want at this hour Carrot Top?”

“What?” She said in supersize. “Who are you talking to?” She glanced around the empty street.

“You,” I replied, taking a moment to get a better look at her flank. Oops, that's not Carrot Top's mark. This mare had a mark of a sun rising over a field of yellow squash. I tried to internally rationalize my mistake. In my defence she did look a lot like Carrot Top. Maybe she could've been Carrot Top's long lost twin or something. Noticing that I was just staring blackly out the window into space, I shook my head, pulling my attention back to what was going on in front of me.

She looked at me a little confused, “my name is Golden Sunrise, and I am not from this town. I came here looking for you.”

Taken aback, I paused. Then asked, “why couldn't this wait, and more over, why me? Why not Twilight? She lives in the huge crystal castles just on the edge of town. Helping ponies in need is kinda her thing.”

“I know, I know, “she said shaking her head. “But you have something she doesn't.”

“She is the Princess of Magic, what could I have over her?”

Her face went dark, and she looked at me with piercing eyes. “Twilight is the Princess of Friendship. I know you know the real Princess of Magic, and I want to meet her.”

I put my head in my hooves. “You just want in, don't you. I see I am going to have to explain somethings to you.”

She beamed at me, “of course.”

I let out a sigh and closed my window. As if studying under Twilight was not bad enough. Now I was getting random mares knocking at my home before sunrise. I reached over to my bedside table and snagged my magic glow stuck. I gave it a shake, causing it light up. Unicorns will never know the many drawbacks of being an earth pony at night. With the glow stick in mouth, I made my way downstairs and opened my front door. She walked in before I even had a chance to invite her.

“So this the pad of Shooting Start, Twilight's first high level student,” she remarked, looking around at my drab dimly light kitchen.

I set the glow stick in a holder on the table and hit a switch by the door. It struck an oil lamp that hung from the ceiling. “Take a seat,” I offered, pointing to one of the chairs that sat around my kitchen table.

“Okay, she replied cheerily.

I joined her. “So what do you mean “real princess of magic” there are only four alicorn princesses.” I paused, waiting for her to finish gazing around my room. “You know friendship is magic, right?”

She nodded. “Yes, but I mean.... okay, maybe not magic magic, but earth magic. I need something that Twilight and Celestia and the others can't do.”

I rolled my eye's, “and what is that?” I asked.

“Well,” she grinned, “I need to transit to another world.”

This took me some time to process. Finally, I settled on the most resalable question I could think of, “why?,” I asked.

“To save Equestria of course,” she stated with complete sincere certainty.

“Golden Sunrise, right? lets say I entertain your claims. One big sticking point for me thus far is, what in the great wide world of Equestria can I do that Twilight and gang can't? Earth magic or not. What world ending threat could be out there that they can't deal with?”

Her look hardened, “ War. They aren't prepared to fight a war. I know this, because they had their chance to do something about the changelings, but they just flung their problem on to somepony else and forgot about the whole thing.”

I looked sheepishly at the table, “well, I am sure they had good reason not to go after them. Truth be told, I have only ever met one changeling. She lives out in the Everfree Forest. I call her Steve, she was at Cranky's and Matilda's wedding the other day.

“I don't know who any of those ponies are,” Golden replied uncertainly.

“The ones getting married were donkeys.”

“Whatever, you must have heard of the changeling attack on Canterlot?” she asked carefully.

“Yes.”

“Okay, good. When the changelings were defeated and flung to far ends of Equestria, they ended up regrouping out in the wilds. They fed off anyone who showed them even a bit of kindness. They have been growing stronger, and running a muck over other non-pony races that lack the strength and unity to oppose them.” Her voice trembled with turbulent emotion.

I glanced uncomfortably down at the table. “Okay, so lets make sure I have this strait. You have come to me before sunrise, in a bid to have me ask some mythical pony that I somehow know, to help you against a horde of changeling foes that threaten Equestria. Your reason being that Celestia and Twilight missed their chance to track down and banish the changelings back to whatever plane they came from when they had the chance, and now you can't trust them. This judgment in spite of it totally being the kind of thing they do all the time. And to top it all, your solution is to ask this mystical mare of mine to help you find the means seek help from another word.” I shook my head. “The best I can do is to talk to Twilight about this in the morning. I am sure she'll be happy to help.”

Her eye's started to well up with tears, “I'm sorry, I can't put the lives of my friends and family in the hooves of a princess that got her wings from a prideful matriarch's desire to showboat. I know more about you then you think. If you don't help me, I will tell both of them your secret.”

I looked at her sharply, “and what you that be?”

“That you have magic. Powerful magic. The lost arts of earth pony magic. Something that was forgotten in the time before recorded history.” She spat, tears still in her eyes. “And what's more, you have enough skill with it to match most unicorns in a contest of pure magic output.”

I froze, my thoughts raced. “Are you messing with me?” I asked. “Earth ponies with magic? I know you don't want to see Twilight, but this is a little out there. No one would ever believe you, and any hope of getting help would be lost.”

A calm came over her. I could feel a surge of magic power build within her. She brought her hoof down on the table. The force shattered it, hunks of splintering wood flew in all directions. With the same flowing motion, she spun her leg to kick me through the mess of wooden shards. I new the look in her eye. It was the same as the one Twilight described seeing in Maud's eyes when she gowned a huge boulder to pebbles to save Pinkie Pie. -- The topic was still an ongoing part of my studies. -- My reflexes were just fast enough to dodge out of the way of her kick. I landed on all fours, turning to face my attacker. My body was tense, waiting for her next move. We locked eyes, the table fragments raining to the floor around us.

Swiftly, she slipped forward. Her hooves digging into my wooden floor. Her attack was too fast. She fired a strike with her right hoof, aiming for my shoulder. The air rang with the power of her blow. Reflexively, my body braced itself. Her hoof connected, but rather then send me flying, it bounced harmlessly off. Waves of white light ripped out from the impact. She was pushed off balance, her front leg cracking off at an unnatural angle. Swiftly, I swept her other front leg out from under her. She fell, her broken leg waving like a wet noodle. I placed my two front hooves on her shoulders, pinning her to the the ground.

She was still, her sides shivering. Her tearful eye's welling with pain and sadness. “Earth ponies don't have magic? Ya, right,” she whispered.

I lifted my hooves off of her, looking down at her broken leg. “How did you know?” I asked.

She weekly met my gaze, “the way you speak about magic when you give theory lessons. You are not vary subtle about it. I mean, if one knows what they are looking for.“

“Ya, everypony just assumes that earth ponies can't do magic. It's weird enough for them that I know so much about magic to begin with.” I sighed, “guess my secrets out, want me to fix that leg of yours?”

“You can do that?” she asks supersized.

I felt panic fill me, “you mean you didn't already know?”

“I knew you had magic like I do, but I never dreamed you could do things like heal another ponies broken leg.”

Well that was a big slip up, I thought to myself as I moved over to her and placed my hooves over her broken leg. She gazed into my eyes grinning as I draw the earth magic from the ground and poured it into her leg. My spell worked, weaving the fabric of her flesh and bone back together. I withdrew my hooves. “There, hows that?” I asked.

The golden mare got to her hooves. She tenderly put weight on the leg that had been broken only moments before. She turned, beaming at me, it's as good as its always been.” she replied ecstatically.

I smiled weekly, “glad you like it.” There was a long pause, “So, you won't tell anypony about this will you?”

She looked at me craftily, “only if you help me. We wouldn't want your magic to be the thing that causes old tensions to rise between the earth ponies and unicorns. There is really enough discordance around Twilight's coronation. The last thing anypony would want is to further upset the established divisions of power.”

“Alright,” I said begrudgingly, “I will indulge you.”

She hopped back on onto her chair and sat down. “Okay,” she began, using the motion of her hoof to punctuate her story, “I used to live in a small town much like Ponyville. It's named Equine Junction and we are almost entirely earth ponies. We are known to grow some of the best grapes in Equestria.”

“Ya, I think I have heard of your town from a tipsy Berry Punch at a party once. You know her by chance?”

“I don't. I had a squash farm. I worked it with my older sister Green Sunrise. Not too long ago, some strange ponies came to town. They looked normal but seemed to lack a special talent despite having their marks. We didn't figure out what they were till it was to late. Once we had invited them into our homes, they struck, imprisoning everypony. Even my sister. They had dulled our towns senses, making sure we where too week to put up a fight.

“I looked deep in to her eyes, and put my hoof out, “I am going see if you speak truthfully.”

She nodded, “I understand.”

I placed my hoof on her heart and let a pulse of my earth magic flow through her body. Her coat stood on end as the pulse of gold light rolled over her. The room briefly filled with a bright gold glow before the magic dissipated into the ground.

She shivered, “did I pass?” she asked.

I nodded, “yes you did, but that just brings up the question of how you made it out of your village?”

“Okay, well, you see... I have this connection with the earth. I get these twitches that let me know something is going to go wrong. I tried to worn Green, but she refused to believe me. She was asleep when the attack happened. I had to leave her, or I would have been taken, too.”

“You are not the first pony I have met that has a sense like that.”

“Really? There are others?”

“I know of one. Her name is Pinkie Pie. Everyone in town knows about the Pinkie Sense.”

“I have heard of her. She is one of the Guardians of Harmony.”

“Was one of the Guardians. They all had to give up their elements. An unfortunate turn of events given what changelings do when they take over a place. From what I know, they in prison the population and feed on their love until the prisoners die of exhaustion.”

“So you know what will happen to my sister, to all my friends, if I do not get them help.”

“And you don't trust Celesta and Twilight to get the job done after they let them go the first time.”

She smiled deviously, “I know where I can get an army, all I need is a bridge, and I know your teacher knows how to make one.”

“You mean Twilight? She doesn't know. The closet she come is writing about it in a fictional story about ponified apes attending high school. The last known pony who could make portals was Star Swirl, and even he couldn't really choose what words they opened to.”

“No, I mean The Smith of Elemental Harmony, The Earth Mare, The Scribe of Destiny, the pony this land was named after, the alicorn known as Equestria.”

“How do you know of her?” I asked, taken aback. “There is no known record of her existence.” --Having spent a lot of time with he book horse herself, I felt vary confident in that statement.--

“I have a teacher, too, you know,” she replied cheekily.

“Who? I have travelled all over this land, and never found anypony who even knew there were more then two founding alicorns.”

“Stardust is my teacher. She is a travailing earth pony with a electric blue mane and tail. She has a white coat. Kinda like a female you, now that I think about it. That's kinda cool.”

“Ya well, I am use to it. From a distance ponies have mistaken me for Twilight's brother or sometimes even a mare unicorn known as Vinyl Scratch. I have no horn. How can that even happen?” I took a deep breath. “Sorry about that,” I let out a long sigh, before calmly continuing, “I have never heard of Stardust. Has she ever been to Ponyville?”

She grinned, “I think so, she likes to attend all the Star Swirl the Bearded events that happen around Equestria. She has some great costumes, truly period authentic.”

I smiled to myself thinking how Twilight might react to meeting a fellow Star Swirl courseplay enthusiast. “What is Stardust's mark?” I asked.

“An hour glass.”

“Like Dr. Turner and Colgate?” I say, my excitement building.

“I don't know those ponies.” she replied apologetically.

“Well it was worth a short.”

“Truth is, I haven't seen Stardust for over two years. The last thing she told me was to seek the seemingly magic less magic user. That's what put me on your trail. After reading your book on an earth ponies bond with nature. I knew you must have some of the same skills as I do. That was enough for me. I was actually planning to make my way over here after this years harvest. My plans just kinda got bumped ahead.”

“Well, if your teacher told you about Alicorn Equestria, I guess there is no reason to hind my knowledge of her from you.”

“So you will take me to see her?”

“You just won't let up will you? Sure, given what you already know, I can't see a reason not to. However, after you have met with her, if she does have a solution for you, she will be telling Celestia of your plans. My teacher has made if vary clear that Celestia is the ruler of Equestria, and she will not take any action that would undermine that.”

She looked a little crest fallen, “That is not what I hoped to hear, but I understand why she would likely say that.”

“Cheer up, at least you made it this far. You are the only pony I have ever taken to see my teacher. That must be worth something?”

Golden moved to the door, “we should be going. Time is not something we have on our side.”

I followed, stepping out into the cool early morning air. “My teacher lives under the Tree of Harmony in the Everfree Forest,” I explained to her, pointing in its direction. Without another word Golden started walking in the direction I had indicated. Her stance was cold, and her movements stiff. “What is your real problem with Celestia?” I asked trotting after her.

“She is not as pure as you might think.”

“I am sure, everypony has things they wish they could undo, but you are acting like there's something specific that she has done that will compel her to thwart your plans.”

“Well, just thing about it. How would you feel if you were in charge of the safety of a nation and some random earth pony came to you and ask to open a portal to another world. This, to bring an army into your kingdom? Plus alicorn princesses Cadence and Twilight.”

“At least the first is a far point, but your actions suggest there is more to your story then just a fair assumption to a possible reaction, and some personal feelings towards new Equestrian leadership.”

“Maybe, maybe not, I am not totally thinking strait about that right now,” she replied in a deflective tone.

We walked in silence, heading deep into the Everfree Forrest. I couldn't help the sneaking suspicion that she knew something about Celestia's past that she was not ready to share. I wish I knew what it might be. Then, I might be able to coax it out of her. Her teacher had told her about mine, so there was cause to think that her reaction to Celestia had a solid grounding in truth.

Thankfully, we made it all the way to the tree without any monster attacks. The tree had a faint glow in the night, the elements still in the form of the six marks of the ponies that had held them. I moved behind the tree, gesturing for Golden to follow me. I placed my hooves on the rock slab behind the tree, letting my magic follow into the wall. Golden let out a little squeak as the stone began to run like cool water. It flowed up like a curtain being drawn open. On the other side were a set of stone stars leading down into the earth below. Together we made our way into the darkness. With no light, I had to use the side of the tunnel wall to guide my decent. “You doing okay?” I asked.

“Yep.” she replied with an excited tremble in her voice. Her anger at Celestia seeming to have been pushed aside for the time being.

I felt my hooves find level ground. “Wait,” I whispered to Golden.” “Equestria are you there?” I called out. My voice echoing through the cavern.

My call was met by the roar of a rushing waterfall. Dim light filled the room from the horn of a stone grey, winged mare. Her mane was clear blue with crests of white froth, flowing out like waves of rolling water. She looked old, even by alicorn standers. Her coat looked like river stone, complete with flecks of green moss growing in her fur. Her mark was the of tree of harmony with no symbols on its trunk. The elements of harmony in their original gem state. With a voice like crashing ocean waves she spoke, “This is about the village. And you would ask me to send you to a place of lost hope to find new friends?”

Golden Sunrise's eyes widened with a excitement. She looked like she might pee herself at the overwhelming emotions she was feeling from meeting this long forgotten alicorn. It took her a few moments to collect herself enough to nod, “yes, I need to get help, and I need to go far away to get it.”

Equestria nodded, “yes, but not far, just not near. I can send you to help some ponies that needs it. They can tell you that which you do not know you do not know.”

“But what of Celestia?: I asked concerned.

“She sent you a scroll and a message. Equestria replied, floating a scroll over to me that had been sealed with Celestia crest. “The message goes, “not all paths need to end in death.”

A little dazed, I replied, “I will keep that in mind.”

“Give the scroll to Celestia when you get where you are going,” Equestria instructed, smiling. “She may not always do the right thing, but she always works to be better then she was.” She then walked over to the pool of water that filled the right side of the cave. “Look into the water, and you will find the reality of your reflections,” she said, grinning just ever so slightly.

“It was nice meeting you, Equestria,” Golden said quickly, before dashing over to the water and looking down at her reflection.

I took one last look at my teacher, she nodded. I turned, and with the scroll around my neck, I looked down into the water. A near perfect reflections looked back. I stood there watching it for what must have been many minutes before I looked up at Golden again. “I don't think anything happened,” I said, tuning to look back at Equestria.