• Published 21st Mar 2016
  • 967 Views, 29 Comments

Choice - Pathos14489



Sonata makes her first actual decision in a long time.

  • ...
3
 29
 967

Regret

I smiled at Adagio as she sat in the little, empty room she called an office. She worked tirelessly nowadays, always researching a way to harvest some sort of magic, any kind of magic so we could sustain ourselves. But she won't find a way. Both me and Aria know that, I'm sure even Adagio knows it herself, deep down. But I tried to keep things cheerful. I would bring her whatever bits of food I could find, even if it did nothing for any of us. I would help Aria around, her using a large portion of her magic in a previous attempt to find a new source of magic, she was now the weakest of us all.

But we rarely spoke with each other anymore, Adagio's excuse was, "a waste of energy". But I knew she was just sad. Very, sad and disappointed. She blamed herself for this, I knew she couldn't blame us. Or at least Aria. They could both blame me sometimes, but that's okay. I knew I deserved it.

With Aria tucked in in her room and Adagio fed and watered, I sighed as I sat down and began my letter, my tiny hands shaking as I tried to write neatly.

Dear Adagio and Aria,

Ever since we became sirens, I've never had a choice. Because, unlike you two, I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to be lustful for power and greedy. I didn't want to ruin lives and relationships; to feed off of everything I hate in the world. All my life it seems, everyone has been ordering me around, telling me I'm stupid, telling me what to do—even if I hate doing it. Even if doing it just breaks my heart.

I know you two are looking for a way to get that back, but ever since our medallions broke I've been able to think clearly again. I've been able to make my own choice.

I realize that without our medallions we can't eat or sustain ourselves. I'm not the idiot you think I—Well I am, but I'm not that stupid. My choice is selfish and I know I'm going to hurt you both, or at least some part of me hopes it will hurt you at least a little. Not because I hate you! Because I love both of you and... Sometimes I'm not sure you two do. Sometimes it feels like you both hate me; that you think I'm a waste of time and air. So... Deep in my heart, I want this to hurt you, just so if I ever find out, I'll know you two truly did care about me. And I'm so, so sorry if it does hurt. That isn't what I want.

What I want: Is the ability to live without hurting others. I hate hurting people and ponies so much I can't even tell you. I can't even imagine putting that into words. But I can't ever have that, so I'm making a different choice for roughly the same outcome.

Goodbye, I love you both so much, please forgive me.

~Sonata

«♦»

My breath was broken and ragged as I slid down the wall, everything—including my blurred, teary vision—shaking. Oh god I'm so hungry. My stomach felt like someone had been stomping on it, it took all I had not to just curl up and clutch it in agony. But I had to do this, while I had the chance. I couldn't go on hurting people anymore, I just couldn't take it now that I could decide; now that the medallion wasn't tainting my view of the world.

I winced as I brought up the cold, grey pistol. In my weakened grasp, I could barely hold it without it tumbling through my frail, bony fingers. "Oh god..." I muttered under my breath. "Oh god, oh god oh god..." I started to chant it as I thought more and more about what I was about to do. My every instinct was pleading; begging me not to. But I couldn't stop, I couldn't live like this anymore. My time had come and gone a long, long time ago. "Everyone has their time..."

"Sonata!" I flinched, my eyes closing as I heard Adagio slamming against the locked door. I had hoped I could be done before they found the letter. "Sonata stop it! Don't do what I think you're going to!"

"Yeah! Don't be an idiot! We do love you, we do care about you! Please!" Aria joined in. They were making this so much harder.

"Adagio, Aria..." My voice threatened to break into a sob as I leaned further into the corner. "I have to do this. I'm sorry, but I have to!"

"No you don't!" Adagio bangs against the door with her fragile hands again, small and tiny sounds compared to what she wants I imagine. "Please, we'll find another way!"

As I heard them fumbling with keys against the handle I lifted the pistol back up, checking that the safety is off. "I'm sorry..."

The door flew open as I brought the gun to my temple and closed my eyes. "No!" I pulled the trigger.

Click!

My breathes grew deeper as I inched my eye open, bringing the gun around to view. It had jammed. I shifted my gaze to Adagio and Aria, staring in just as much shock as me, then shifted it back to the gun as I reached and yanked the slide back. "Not again!" Adagio ran over, Aria stumbling over into the floor as our sister tried to yank the loaded gun from my hands.

"No! You won't do this to me, you won't take away my choice! No!" I squeezed my eyes shut, pulling with every ounce of energy I had left and pulling the trigger.

Bang!

The sound of a gun being fired inches from your ear is literally deafening. I could only hear ringing as I opened my eyes and looked down at my lap in another bout of shock. I had no idea where the gun was anymore, no idea where I was anymore. It felt like I'd awoken into a world of dark silence.

"Adagio!"

I blinked and blinked as my vision slowly returned, the blinding flash from the muzzle temporarily blinding me in the already dark room. As tid bits of my hearing returned I heard sobbing. "Aria?" Even my own voice was tinier and meeker than usual. As my vision returned however, my shock and confused twisted and morphed into horror. "Adagio!" Everything was shoved into crystal clarity as I dragged myself across the now very wet and sticky floor to her.

Drip... Drip... ...Drip...

Every little noise, every breath; even my own heart beat thumped loudly in my ears as I pulled myself to her. "This isn't fair!" I shouted as I grabbed her still form and pulled myself onto her sobbing loudly as my warm tears mixed with the searing, sticky fluids dripping from her. "It was supposed to be me! Don't do this to me!" I screamed as I pressed my face into the crook of her mangled neck in a completely different kind of agony than I was in before. This hurt all the more worse than I ever could have imagined.

"I'm sorry...!"

«♦»

“ 'If only.' Those must be the two saddest words in the world. ”

― Mercedes Lackey

Author's Note:

Written due to writers block with my other story Letters. I couldn't really get into the mood of the story because I've been spending so much time on a comedy, so I thought I'd write something sad to balance things out.

...

Okay it makes sense in my head at least.