• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 229 Views, 2 Comments

Nightmare Night...Vortex Master style - Doctor Tex



On Nightmare Night, one grave shall stand out amongst the rest. A blue hoof breaks through, intent on revenge!

  • ...
 2
 229

Prologue

Nightmare Night...Vortex Master Style
Prologue: Nightmare Night

October 31. Or, at least, that's what the Earth calendar says. A holiday takes place across the Seven Great Systems. A time of spookiness and happiness at the same time. The Ancients have called it All Hallows Eve. The humans of Earth call it Halloween. However, there is one Great System that has this holiday by a different title. The governing planet, Equis, and it's governing country, Equestria, call it Nightmare Night.

The ponies of Equestria have this holiday just like any other System would spend Halloween. Foals would go out, with their little costumes on, and collect treats from friendly neighbors. They would party. They would laugh. They would even be spooked sometimes. All is in good spirits on Nightmare Night, just like Halloween. However, it seems that there a few differences. The ponies were once said to be wearing costumes not for the heck of it, but as a disguise against the entity of the night, Nightmare Moon. And they even have to offer candy to her so that she doesn't come and gobble them up!

But, those who were observant, would have known that this tradition lasted for 1,000 years. Nightmare Moon wasn't able to leave the moon back then. So, how did ponies see the dark princess when she wasn't really there? The answer is a bit vague, but a few would understand.

The Nightmare Moon that others were seeing was nothing more than an Abstract Construct of Negative Energy. Few have known this, but every year, a wave of Negative Energy flows over the land. This is very less harmless than normal Negative Energy. It doesn't harm the ponies, so they don't notice it. But, they DO notice what it creates. The Nightmare Construct was nothing more than a fabrication, a mirage, an illusion, or something that doesn't exist. This Construct wasn't able to harm ponies, just give them a bit of a scare.

Yet, Abstract Constructs aren't entirely safe. If the creator puts enough energy into the Construct, they would become a Physical Construct. Able to feel, touch, and breathe. And harm others. For many years, Necromancers have attempted used this energy to create monsters to wreak havoc. Mostly, they don't work and they wind up in a dungeon. But very few have succeeded...

Back to the story. Everyone was having a great time now that Princess Luna was back and no longer Nightmare Moon. The ponies of Ponyville were partying like no tomorrow. This was a special party that was supposed to last all night. A lot of mares and stallions have arrived, and even Luna was having a fun time.

But, not too far away, in the outskirts of town, there was a graveyard. A final resting place for those who have gone to the afterlife. One of the graves was approached by a black smoke.

"Well, it has been too long, my dear. How have you been?" asked the smoke. It had a deep growl that was sure to intimidate others.

No answer.

"Oh, I've been fine. Just getting my butt kicked by that STUP---*ahem*. Right. Now, to do what I came here for."

The smoke started to charge some sort of energy. A purple orb of power started to grow. The smoke circled the orb like a moon orbiting a planet. Then, without warning, it lunged the orb right at the grave. The grave started to glow a deep violet. Then, an object popped out of the ground, which appeared to be a hoof.

"Yes," the smoke said. "YES! ARISE, MY OLD CONSTRUCT! ARISE, NIGHTMARE SUNNY!!! AWAKEN, AND HELP ME KILL TEX!!!" Then, both the smoke and the hoof vanished into thin air.

All sound that was left...was a chilling wind.

Author's Note:

This was in my head for.....around a month, I'd say. Yes, I know it isn't Halloween at the time of this story's release. No, that was not a mistake.