• Published 19th Mar 2016
  • 798 Views, 8 Comments

A Thousand Years - rainbowtiger00



What if Luna was not only carrying a foal when sent to the moon, but also wasn't alone?

  • ...
4
 8
 798

Personal Thoughts and Hopes


After completing the task of raising the moon to its needed height, Princess Celestia settled down upon a pillow and opened a book. Turning to a fresh page, she dipped a quill in ink and began to write.
Canterlot, year 3876
Today is the Eve of the Summer Sun Celebration, the time where I raise the sun in front of my subjects. A thousand years ago, it was a double celebration, for my sister Luna would be there. She would raise the moon in front of what was our subjects. Together, we would give them a special show. My glorious day, her majestic night, combined together for that one instant.
Such it was a thousand years ago. Now it is I and only I who performs the ceremony. To be honest, I can't really do the duty that once was hers. Oh yes, I raise the moon, but I am not its creator. I do not know the number of stars so I cannot make sure that none are missing. I can't bring our ponies the sweet dreams that she did. For the day is not the night.
The task shall forever be properly hers and hers alone...Oh sister if only I could go back in time, if even for only an hour. What a lecture that foalish me in the past would get. You know, one thousand years is a lot of time to think upon what to say. Perhaps I would even use that special royal Canterlot voice.
I suppose the idea of me writing about me giving me a lecture in my diary is silly. Our friend Starswirl the Bearded told me very plainly that doing this would help me feel better, so I won't complain.
Comfort would be welcome indeed since tonight is the anniversary of what was the worst day of my life. Even more than the day our parents left us to roam in whatever paradise the dead await in. For then I knew that they still loved me. And I did not have to wield the tools that brought them into this state. I do not blame her for having the feelings that she did.
Truly, as I imagine myself in what was her situation, I see that I might have followed the same trace. Tonight, though shall be different. For tonight is the night where she shall return. For an old legend shall come true. Let's see if I can quote it properly:
“On the eve of the thousandth year the Stars shall aid in her escape and she will bring night-time eternal.”
She shall come, my dear sister seeking for revenge and thirsty for my throne, but I have a plan to restore things. For even though I can no longer wield the Elements of Harmony, there is some pony who can.
Celestia stopped writing, and levitated her pen beside the book. She got up, and walked over to the balcony. From there, one could see the labyrinth maze that grew in the castle courtyard. In that maze a mirror glittered in the moonlight. She gazed toward the mirror for along while deep in thought, then gave a long sigh, and went back to the pillow. Settling down again she turned the pages of the book backwards, searching. Then she read,
Canterlot, year 3458
I plan to bring my sister back somehow. These years of research proved to be of use as I have found that its alright if I can no longer wield the Elements of Harmony. Some pony else out there is meant to. So in order to find that pony, I shall start a school for gifted unicorns here in Canterlot.
She flipped forward many pages,
Canterlot, year 3855
I think I have found the pony! Her name is Sunset Shimmer. An orphan who has a lot of potential. I have grown very fond of her. Although she is very obsessed with being a alicorn princess.
Another few pages go by, then
Canterlot, year 3861

My beloved Sunset Shimmer fell prey to the greed that had plagued her throughout her apprenticeship. She tried to become a alicorn princess by force. She went and convinced two little foals to be practically her slaves. She had them distract the guards, while she went inside. She burst into my room, horn glowing with dark magic powered by an alicorn amulet. She demanded that I make her into a princess or else I would end up just like that crystal. She turned around and removed the glass lid that was encircling the last remaining crystal from the Crystal Empire.
I warned her that casting dark magic was not a good idea, that doing so warped your mind, and body, but she ignored me. Then she blasted a bolt of dark magic straight at the crystal. To her surprise, the crystal did not shatter, but instead turned dark and sprouted more crystals. I truly feared for her life, as those crystals would continue to grow and one might impale her. So, I let my power loose to shatter them for they cannot withstand the full, and true power of the sun.
But this frighted her. Sunset Shimmer ran from the room thinking I was going to harm her. She ran into the hedge labyrinth on the castle courtyard. She knew that in the middle was the magic mirror that led to another world. After finding the mirror, she ripped the amulet from her neck, for one cannot carry dark objects across it. She glanced back and roared, “I hate you, Celestia!” and dashed into the mirror that led to another world. Why did this have to happen?!
Celestia paused, and took another deep breath before continuing.
Canterlot, year 3862
I am having a hard time accepting the fact that Sunset Shimmer is not coming home. After hiding the amulet, I waited beside the mirror for this past year hoping beyond hope that she would lose the darkness and come back. It seems however she is staying there. Today, this happened. As I wandered throughout these halls letting my emotions loose, I felt a sonic rain boom shake the land. As I looked through a window I saw the many colors that it had created spreading across the sky.
But then to my utter shock of all things, a dragon's head suddenly popped out from one of the towers. He was a hatchling that had been enlarged to the size of a fully grown one. Naturally, I was curious and slightly unnerved.
I quickly glanced around. There wasn't any pink clouds pouring chocolate milk. No slippery, soap roads. No floating upside-down houses.

So a certain, 'rude' draconequus was not responsible. Thinking that if I didn't check it out I was going to regret it, I flew over. When I entered the tower, I found the inside to be utter chaos. Discord would have loved it.
My staff were floating above me trapped in a magical shield terrified out of their wits. The lower half of the dragon was simply standing there in the remains of what was the wooden cart that had carried his egg.
Two strangely colored potted plants were on the floor. But what really grabbed my attention was the young, lavender unicorn filly in the middle of the room. She seemed to have been startled by the sonic rain boom and had let loose a magical surge. For one so young, this was a miracle. I tapped her shoulder, and gave her a warm smile.
This distracted her enough so that the surge was plugged. As I returned everything back to normal I found the filly's parents had been actually turned into the plants!
Thank the sun I knew a reverse spell. They were minor nobles that had hoped to help me by having their children attend my school. As I repaired the roof, a teenage colt came running in, with my adopted niece, Princess Cadence. He was very worried for the filly's safety, calling her “Twily”. Her actual name is Twilight Sparkle. Twilight has received her cutie mark, and with a little training shall become my new apprentice. Although I still keep the mirror watched just in case.
Celestia smiled as the warm memories that had been written from the happy times she and Twilight had shared were relived once more. She turned back toward the current passage she had written. Dipping her pen in ink once more she wrote.

Tonight, Twilight is in Ponyvillie, the little town set next to what our beloved castle. I can only hope that Twilight has followed my advice, made some friends and is now waiting for the ceremony to begin.

A flash caught Princess Celestia's eye, and she stopped writing. She looked at the night sky with grim acceptance. The shadow that had scarred the moon's face for a thousand years had vanished. In the night sky, a perfectly straight line of stars was visible.
Princess Celestia gave a sad smile, and glanced at the flaming bird sitting on the golden stand nearby. The bird nodded its head in approval.

Princess Celestia finished writing.

I hope that she will be able to free her. -Tia.

Author's Note:

All right, third chapter into this story! Please tell me what you think, whether I should improve, or what. And please enjoy!