• Published 19th Mar 2016
  • 799 Views, 8 Comments

A Thousand Years - rainbowtiger00



What if Luna was not only carrying a foal when sent to the moon, but also wasn't alone?

  • ...
4
 8
 799

Waiting in the shadows


Far, far above Equestria, away in the depths of space was the moon. Upon the moon was a broken-down palace. It was once a grand thing to see, now it lay in ruins. The moonscape around the palace was equally ruined. Creatures that had lived upon the moon had been turned into vapors of gas. Inside the palace was a grand chamber with an onyx throne. An alicorn sat upon the throne with her wings folded across her back. Her coat was as black as the darkest night. Her mane and tail were midnight blue and sparkled with tiny stars. She was dressed in special alicorn armor which was covered in carved turquoise moons.

This alicorn was different than most. Her eyes were shaped like a dragon's with a turquoise iris surrounded by teal. Her horn too was unlike others, for it curved slightly. Two beams of magic spread from her horn. One supported a crystal ball, filling it with magical energy. The other spread widely about the room, making it glow with the same colors as her mane, and pulsing with energy like a heartbeat. This beam filled the otherwise airless space with life-giving oxygen; not that she needed that.
The alicorn craned her long neck forward. She stared at the crystal ball, converting the energy into images of the world below her; a world in which she had lived before she was known as Nightmare Moon.
Through the ball she could see a white alicorn staring at the moon. Nightmare Moon's eyes narrowed at the sight. “Princess Celestia, our 'dearest' sister. Do you enjoy your sun-filled land? We think you do.”

Celestia did not respond, for she could not hear anything that Nightmare Moon said, but Nightmare Moon could hear everything that Celestia said.

“Goodnight, my dear sister.”

Nightmare Moon snorted and cut off the beam of magic that held the image. The crystal ball fell and shattered upon the floor. “'Dear sister', huh? Well, excuse us your highness, but weren't you the one to send us into this exile?!”, she raged. “Weren't you the one to use the elements of harmony against us and banish us to the moon?!”

A voice interrupted, “Nightmare Moon, calm yourself, for you are frighting your daughter.”

Nightmare Moon drew in a sharp breath. Filling a nearby doorway were two shadows. The two shadows stepped forward and the larger form turned from shadow into solid; silver armor and red cape appearing before her eyes. The mane and tail were almost entirely black smoke. The unicorn's horn was grayish-red and curved even more than hers. It was his eyes however that were startling to most pony
folk. Shaped like a dragons with red irises swimming in a pool of smoky, reptilian green. Swirls of violet magical energy arose from them. It was King Sombra and he was capable of giving every other pony, even her 'dear' sister, their worst nightmare.
Beside him stood a miniature replica of Nightmare Moon. This alicorn filly wore only a silver collar set with rubies and turquoise gems. That she was immature was clearly seen by her mane and tail which were entirely ordinary.
“King Sombra, you are supposed to be making sure she isn't around when I am viewing my 'dear' sister.”
The little filly whined, “Mommy, can't I please teach that meanie a lesson so we can go down to that world below us?”
Nightmare Moon did not answer right away, but instead got down from her throne and used her magic to gather up the broken crystal from the floor. She hurled the broken crystal outside the palace where it floated away in endless space. Nightmare Moon walked over to Selena and sat down in front of her. King Sombra sat as well.
“My Selena, you shall go down into that world soon, very soon. Here, let me show you something.”

Nightmare Moon walked over to a balcony, where one could see the celestial arrays of stars so much clearer than from Equestria. She lifted a hoof toward a particular patch of stars. They were almost in a straight line.
“See those stars? When they are in a perfect line, I can escape from this prison using my magic. When I do I shall take over the throne that your Aunt occupies, then the banishment that binds you here shall vanish. King Sombra shall take you down there. You shall be able to see the world in all of its moon-lit glory!”
Nightmare Moon took a deep breath and continued.
“And those sun-loving ponies shall no longer be able to harm the Lunar Pegasi, for they will be dead!”
Selena looked at her in confusion, “But why would they want to?”
Nightmare Moon glanced toward the stars.
“Most ponies think that the Lunar Pegasi are monsters. So they do everything in their power to get rid of them. I, during my reign along side my 'dear' sister put up laws that prevented them from being harmed. But in doing so I was branded as a monster-”
She was cut off as Selena rushed forward and hugged her leg tight at such a thought. Smiling gently, she embraced Selena with her large wings, and continued.

“The Lunar Pegasi are simply ponies who are nocturnal. They look different and eat different foods, but that does not mean that they should be hunted down like beasts. Every pony else just couldn't accept that. When Celestia refused to help, I rose up and got banished to the moon. But soon, very soon that throne will be mine....”
King Sombra cleared his throat.
“Yes, and King Sombra can do what he wishes with the soon-to-be dead subjects,” Nightmare Moon added. “And I can see what my 'dear' sister will think of being trapped on the flaming sun for a thousand years!”
Her laughter rang throughout the room, and soon was joined by King Sombra and Selena.