• Published 5th Mar 2016
  • 1,589 Views, 25 Comments

Gradient - Lucky Seven



Adagio Dazzle only sees the world in shades of gray.

  • ...
3
 25
 1,589

Much further down...

Sunset found herself staring down at her coffee. She had yet to mix in her creamer, but that was far from on her mind. She’d be meeting with the leader of the Dazzlings again, and all of her thoughts were focused on that looming conversation. Had Adagio made any progress since their first meeting, or was she simply a lost cause? That question would be answered soon as the door to the diner squeaked open.

It was her, and Sunset managed a small smile this time around as her gaze drifted up. She found herself staring into those burgundy eyes as their owner slid into the bench across from her. This time around, she was going to let Adagio have the first word. After all, being on the receiving end of the former siren’s dripping sarcasm wasn’t he idea of fun.

Adagio seemed to be reading her mind, and smirked. “Not willing to speak first, I see?”

“I thought I’d let you have a go this time,” Sunset giggled. “So how are you?”

“Fine,” Adagio replied. She didn’t say anything more, and brushed a bit of her hair aside. Her gaze seemed to wander all over the place, but never into Sunset’s own.

“You don’t seem so sure of that,” Sunset prodded. “Have you thought at all about our conversation?”

“I have.”

“And?”

Adagio sighed. “I’m having trouble understanding how friendship works.”

Sunset could tell she had had trouble getting that sentence out, but it was progress. Admitting that you needed help was nothing to be ashamed of, and it seemed as if Adagio was beginning to realize that. “What do you want to know?”

“What it means to be someone’s friend.” It was a concept that seemed simple for so many people, but Sunset herself knew that it wasn’t something that was easy to describe.

“It means…” She trailed off, trying to think of a good way to phrase it. “Being there for your friend when nobody else is.”

“So friendship--”

“Means sacrifice,” Sunset interrupted her, and rolled her eyes at the glare Adagio sent her way.

“I’m still not sure I understand,” Adagio conceded as her glare melted away. “Can you give me an example?”

“Um, I guess?” Sunset shrugged, finally taking the creamer the waitress had brought her and pouring it into her coffee. As she picked up her teaspoon and began mixing it together, she continued. “Imagine if Sonata came up to you when you got home. She tells you about a problem she’s having, but you have a problem of your own.”

“If I have a problem of my own, I see no issue in letting her fend for herself,” Adagio crossed her arms over her chest, letting out a huff.

“While that is true, that’s not how friendship works. Friendship means forsaking your own issues, so that you can help your friend take care of theirs,” Sunset explained, taking a sip of her coffee.

“So instead of solving my own problems, I would spend my life solving problems for other people? That sounds like quite a horrible fate,” Adagio chuckled.

Sunset tittered at the idea of running around, solving everyone’s problems. “Friendship also means compromise,” she clarified for the girl seated across from her. “It’s an equal partnership, where you both help each other.”

“I see.” Adagio tapped her finger on the table a few times, deep in thought. It was obvious she wasn’t going to speak up again any time soon, so Sunset took the liberty of asking her a question.

“Do you consider Sonata and Aria your friends?”

Adagio stopped her tapping, and looked down. Sunset took another sip of her coffee, then placed the mug back down. As it impacted the table, Adagio offered her reply. “I can’t say I do. I’d like to, though.”

“Well then you’re going to have to start making sacrifices for them.” Adagio gave a ‘hmm’ of curiosity, so Sunset continued. “Do you know what gave us the power to defeat the three of you?”

“The ‘Elements of Harmony’?”, Adagio droned mockingly. The glare Sunset gave her made her sigh. “Fine, I’ll humor you. What?”

“Our friendship, Adagio. It doesn’t matter if you have the Elements of Harmony,” she began explaining. “You have to be true friends, and the Elements recognized what you three never could.”

“And that is?” Adagio raised an eyebrow.

“That I would never betray my friends,” Sunset smiled, but it slowly dissipated as she saw the look on Adagio’s face. She saw a girl tired of talking about her past mistakes, and wanting to look ahead. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought that up, I--”

“No,” Adagio put her hand up, motioning for Sunset to stop talking. When it was clear she had, Adagio lowered her hand. “It’s fine,” she assured her. “Do you believe that being a friend to Sonata and Aria would allow me--”

Sunset cleared her throat, shooting Adagio a look. The girl looked annoyed, but Sunset didn’t care.

“Fine. Do you think it would allow us to use our magic again?”

“Have you been listening to anything I’ve said, Adagio?” Sunset sighed, beginning to lean towards Adagio being a lost cause.

“I have! You said your friendship allowed you to unlock your magic!” Adagio shouted in frustration, drawing a bit of attention to the pair. She didn’t care, though. She wanted answers.

“I said that it was the true power of our friendship that allowed us to defeat you,” Sunset countered. “It’s not a true friendship if you only want to use it as a means to an end,” she explained. “That’s no different than what we used to do, and look where that got us.”

Adagio hummed thoughtfully. She had to admit, that much was certainly true. Perhaps if she had listened to Sonata and Aria’s thoughts more often, they could have won. Of course, the idea of actually listening to her comrades had never once entered her mind. She was their unquestioned leader, yet now, nobody seemed to be questioning her more than herself. “I suppose you’re right.”

Sunset, noticing the look on Adagio’s face, didn’t offer up a response this time. It was clear she had more to say. More to get off her chest.

“Sonata always tried to say that the three of us were ‘besties’, but I never really understood what she meant,” Adagio looked sullen as she said that, something Sunset thought to be a good sign. “I didn’t want a friendship, just a way to capture the attention of the masses.”

“Do you think that, after everything you three have been through, you’d do anything differently if you had a second chance?”

“I’m… not sure,” Adagio admitted. Sunset took another sip of her coffee as Adagio continued. “I think I might.” The look Sunset gave her made her blush, a first as far as the former unicorn knew. “I’m sorry, I’m sure you think I’m hard-headed.”

“It’s alright. The fact that you’re beginning to question yourself is what matters,” Sunset smiled.

“Hmm…” Adagio seemed to be lost in thought, but Sunset knew what was coming. “I think I’ll--”

“‘Be going now’?” Sunset guessed. This time, Adagio didn’t seem upset at being interrupted, and offered Sunset a smile. “Same time next week?” Sunset asked. Adagio didn’t answer, sliding out of her set and making her way to the door. She didn’t even offer Sunset a passing glance as she had before, her thoughts seemingly on what lay ahead. Sunset blew some air out of her nose, a tiny chuckle escaping her lips, because she knew.

She’d be back, of course.

Author's Note:

Almost published this without putting an author's note, heh. So yeah. My mind was probably already made up, but the comments I received pretty much sealed the fact that I've decided to make this into something more.

I hope you guys enjoyed this.