• Published 28th Feb 2016
  • 728 Views, 19 Comments

Flying Was Never The Answer - TheLunaRainbow



After a horrific accident, Rainbow Dash is rushed to hospital. Scootaloo is shattered. How will she cope without Dash, along with the rest of the Mane 6?

  • ...
5
 19
 728

The Cottage

Rainbow Dash felt herself being lifted into the air and onto a soft sheet. Sobbing could be heard faintly in the background, as well as voices telling her that it was going to be ok and that she needs to hold on. Objects were pressed into her skin and she could feel the dried blood being carefully wiped from her fur with a warm flannel.

Soon, she felt the sheet moving and could hear hoofsteps pounding across the dirt. Although there was a commotion surrounding her, she could barely hear it. The only sound that was interesting the blue Pegasus was the mesmerising throbbing of the moon.

How it was possible she could hear the moon, Dash didn't know but it was calming and eased her pain. Her wings unfurled at her side to bask in the glow of the moonlight and with a huge amount of effort, she managed to open her eyes slightly. All she saw was the moon. It was astounding. Gleaming, brilliant...breath taking.

Why do ponies decide to sleep when this elegant creature adorns the night sky? Luna really does have great power.

Then, the moon disappeared. It was replaced by a dark cloud. Pain once again flew through Rainbow's body until she was writhing in agony.

Louder voices boomed in her ears and she desperately tried to block them out. All she wanted was to see the moon, hear the moon. Nothing else was of interest to her. Why did it have to leave? She wanted to block out all the sounds except the moon. She wanted to get rid of the dark cloud and bring the moon back. But she couldn't. Once again, Dash's eyes closed.

Sunlight filtered through the curtains that hung over Fluttershy's bedroom window. Angel was awake and sitting at the end of the bed, impatiently tapping his foot on the sheets. Brushing her messy hair from her vision, she noticed that Scootaloo wasn't beside her. Or in the room at all. She flew out of bed and checked every space a small filly could hide in.

"Scootaloo? Scootaloo! Where are you? Angel! Have you seen Scootaloo?" The bunny sighed and hopped off the bed and towards the door, beckoning Fluttershy to follow him. She lowered herself onto the floor and galloped after her pet.

Books littered the floor of Fluttershy's kitchen. They were all about food. Three saucepans sat bubbling on top of the stove and a brown mass quivered inside the oven. Scootaloo was worriedly changing the temperature and batting away birds that flew around the kitchen.

A toucan zoomed pass her ear and shocked the young filly, making her fall off the stool she was balancing on and kick a pan off the hob. Boiling water flew across the room, narrowly missing the Pegasus' legs but splashing onto her right wing.

"AAAARGH!" she yelped in pain. At that moment, Fluttershy flew into the kitchen.

"Scootaloo! Are you ok? What hurts? Are you injured?" Scootaloo got to her hooves and limped towards the worried Pegasus, holding her wing with one hoof.

"I hurt my wing. The hot water splashed over it. Other than that, I think I'm fine" Fluttershy inspected the filly's wing and prodded her back.

"It doesn't hut when I do that?" she asked Scootaloo. She winced slightly.

"Ok. I bruised my back from falling off the stool" she said sheepishly.

Fluttershy walked over to a cupboard on the far end of the kitchen. Opening the wooden doors, she rummaged around inside the space until she pulled out a small tube of what looked like moisturiser.

"It's burn cream. Do you want me to rub it on your wing?" Scootaloo nodded and Fluttershy approached her and applied the medicine to her wing. The blue cream stung at first but after a few rubs, it felt oddly pleasing.

"I think that's enough for now. So, what were you doing in here?" The filly rubbed her arm and guiltily replied

"Well I thought I could help with feeding the animals so you didn't have to do all the work. I came down extra early and got a few books from the bookshelf so I could learn how to do it. The animals got excited and I guess cooking isn't my special talent as that's meant to be a cake," she pointed at the lump in the oven "And the saucepans are full of vegetables" Fluttershy looked over at the bubbling liquid on top of the oven and turned off the heat.

A bag of animal feed was pulled from the pantry and birds, rabbits, squirrels and even a bear swarmed the kitchen, ripping apart the bag and flinging food around the room. Fluttershy remained calm and lifted up Scootaloo to carry her into the front room.

"I deserve it, don't I?" she said in an oddly eerie voice. Shocked, Fluttershy placed her on the sofa and saw that a small speck of blood stuck to her hoof.

"I killed Rainbow Dash. So I deserve it. You shouldn't of given me the burn cream. I wish the water had burned my entire body. Then it would be equal. Sort of" Scootaloo stared at her hoof for a few more seconds as Fluttershy stood by her, having lost the ability to speak. No tears formed in her eyes. Just pain.

She looked at her wing and sighed. Standing up on the cushion she had been sat on, the filly leapt onto the floor and ran into the kitchen. Cupboards were flung open and kitchen equipment thrown on the floor. By the sofa, Fluttershy stood silently staring at Scootaloo.

She blames herself. She blames herself. No no no no NO! She can't! It wasn't her fault. Oh my goodness. This is terrible. What am I going to do? Wait. I'm taking her to see Nurse Redheart so maybe she can convince her not to blame herself! And Rainbow Dash isn't dead. She's going to be fine...I think...I hope. Hold on, what is she doing?

Scootaloo had found the cutlery drawer. A large knife was drawn and placed over her wing. The filly raised the knife high up in the air, the weapon sparkling in the morning light. Fluttershy recovered from her shock in seconds and leapt towards the filly.

"Scootaloo NOOOO!" she yelled in terror. The knife was brought down and came into contact with flesh. Somepony screamed.

Author's Note:

What's going to happen next? Who was cut? Find out in the next update that will hopefully be coming out soon. I hope you are enjoying this story so far and I really appreciate the likes and comments! Thank you, everpony. Happy Reading!