• Published 28th Feb 2016
  • 728 Views, 19 Comments

Flying Was Never The Answer - TheLunaRainbow



After a horrific accident, Rainbow Dash is rushed to hospital. Scootaloo is shattered. How will she cope without Dash, along with the rest of the Mane 6?

  • ...
5
 19
 728

The Fall

Rainbow Dash plummeted towards the forest beneath her, tail and mane flapping behind her. Tears streamed from her eyes and she desperately tried to keep herself aloft with one wing. Her shaking hooves were wrapped around her crooked, left wing. Cold wind bellowed in her ears and she could hear screaming from the sky above. Turning around in the air, she could just make out a yellow pony above her. Then she hit the ground.

***

“RAINBOW DASH!” Scootaloo screamed, getting to her hooves and jumping to the edge of the cloud. Fluttershy was flying as fast as she could towards the blue Pegasus but her weak wings had frozen in shock when Rainbow Dash had fallen and they were still recovering.

Faster, Fluttershy! FASTER! The pony thought as her wings became a blur.

Scootaloo hopped up and down on the cloud frantically, wishing she could help in some way.

“Fluttershy can catch her. When her friends are involved she always pulls through! Right?” she thought aloud. Suddenly, purple filled her vision and she yelped, fearing some kind of attack.

It’s just my mane. Stop screaming.
Scootaloo used her hoof to brush the mane out of her eyes and looked down once more. CRUNCH. Rainbow’s body hit the ground with such force, grass and dirt flew out from underneath her in all directions. A deafening scream flew through the air and Scootaloo realised that it was her, howling in fear and horror. She couldn’t stop.

Tears blurred her vision and she had to sit down. Her wet hair stuck to her head and she realised that the hoof she had brushed her mane away with was covered in blood. Darkness swept over the filly and she passed out.

***

“R-Rainbow Dash? D-Dash? Wake u-up! Dash! Please! Oh no…” Fluttershy stood over the broken body of her friend. Both wings were bent out of shape with the feathers moulting. Her right hind leg had split down the middle and bone was visible. Blood pooled beneath the pony and many cuts and gashes covered Dash’s body. Teeth littered the ground and bits of bloody gum hung from her mouth. But worst of all was her head. Cracked open, blood gushing, skull visible, twitching uncontrollably. Bile filled Fluttershy’s mouth as she backed away from the body. She couldn’t stop herself and threw up violently in a near bush.

"Twilight. I need to get Twilight. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie. I need help. We need a doctor. NOW!"

The shaking pony retreated a few more steps and was about to flee when she remembered Scootaloo was still on the cloud above. So shocked by the fall, Fluttershy had forgotten all about the filly. The Pegasus launched up into the air, studying the sky for orange fur. Many white, fluffy clouds had come together while she was on the ground and she was about to go back down when she saw an orange wing hanging from a small cloud directly above her.

“Please don’t say she saw what happened. Please don’t let her know. Please. Please. She doesn’t need that to scar her mind. Please” Fluttershy begged. The nauseating image of her best friend’s limp body kept flashing in front of her vision and the yellow pony’s wing strokes faltered for a second. Droplets of tears stained her coat as she reached the cloud and as soon as she saw Scootaloo’s unconscious body, Fluttershy knew that she had seen everything.

Four ponies ran full speed through Ponyville, panting heavily but their speed never slowing. Twilight was at the front, flapping her wings to gain more speed.

Applejack was a few steps behind her, keeping pace with Rarity, who still had her silk nightgown tied around her stomach. Pinkie Pie was bouncing across the rooftops, somersaulting over chimneys and accidently loosening roof tiles. Fluttershy was ahead, flying through the air with a trembling Scootaloo in her hooves.

Twilight’s wingtips brushed against a warm surface and she heard a call from behind her.

“Hey! Watch where you’re swingin’ those things, sugarcube!”

“Sorry, Applejack!” she replied, swerving to the side. The Unicorn’s horn glowed, as did Rarity’s, providing light for the orange Earth Pony.

Pinkie was wearing her spy goggles. A blue aura also engulfed Rarity’s horn as she was keeping a firm grip on Applejack’s hat with her magic to avoid the problem of it blowing away with the strong gale. This tired the pony, but she kept her pace and didn’t stop running.
A three way street appeared in front of them. One heading towards the town square, one towards the market and the other towards a long stretch of fields.

“Towards the field!” Fluttershy called down to the group. Pinkie leapt from the roof of Berry Punch’s house and flew up into the air, grabbed the small form of Scootaloo from Fluttershy’s front legs with her mouth, landed perfectly next to Twilight and gently placed Scootaloo on her back.

“C’mon girls! Let’s go!” the pink pony yelled. As they passed the hospital, Twilight fired up her horn and sent a magic spell into the surgery. Doctors and nurses came spilling out of the hospital, carrying a stretcher, multiple large medical bags and six rolls of bandages. They too joined the race towards Rainbow.

Rainbow Dash opened her eyes. Tree trunks and dirt surrounded her. She couldn't move. The moon shone bright overhead and everything was silent. The animals were silent, the trees were silent, her own heartbeat was silent. Birds rested in the branches and flew overhead, various animals nestled underneath the large trunks of oak trees. It was pure bliss. Until an immense pain shot up through her leg and swarmed her entire body. She let out an agonized cry and her body started to spasm uncontrollably. Trying to shout for help only ended up as a gurgling noise and blood dripping from her jaw. Wind blew onto her body and seemed to cut up her wounds even more. Wondering how she was still alive, her ears listened out for any kind of noise that would indicate any sign of pony life. Hoof steps approached from an unknown direction and worried voices could be heard.
"Herlp mwe" she coughed. Dash's eyes closed.

Author's Note:

I hope that whoever reads this has enjoyed the first chapter! I know it is very short but I will continue to update the story. Happy reading!