• Published 19th Feb 2016
  • 364 Views, 5 Comments

Hearthwarming Tales - De Writer



A Collection of short tales about Hearthwarming.

  • ...
 5
 364

Huddled Together, A Hearthwarming Tale

Huddled Together
A Hearthwarming Tale

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

They sat huddled together. There were three fully standing walls and a roof, though that drooped precariously. The forth wall stood, except for the rubble where the door had been. They even had a fire to keep the chill at bay, though snow did blow in through the hole that was once a door.

She told him, “Think how lucky we are, my dear Sir. In the morning, we can look for something to cover the doorway. Maybe even a pole to better support the roof. Few around here are as well off as we.”

Dejected, he focused on the small fire and sighed, “I tried. I tried so hard. At least I saved you.”

“Yes, my dear, you did. No other pony tried to save me or our family. If the rest of my family is gone, at least you saved me. Perhaps tomorrow we can bury my dead.”

He nodded sadly. “That would be best. Much as we need shelter, they need to be buried or cremated soon. It is dangerous to leave the dead untended. I know this from experience.”

“Experience?” she inquired, head tilted with curiosity.

He nodded seriously. “It is a myth that the undead, like vampires, are destroyed by sunlight. It is very hard on them and weakens them but it no more kills them than it kills you.

“It is also a myth that they are some sort of ravening monsters. Some are, enough to create the tale. Those are mad.”

Softly, she asked directly, “Are you one of them?”

Eyes filled with a fear that she had not seen all day, as he fought like a tiger to save what he could from the ravages of the foraging army, he replied simply, “I am.”

She leaned against him to reassure him as she said, “I have seen naught but good of you, Sir. It is no fear at all that I have from you. Why did you fight to save us?”

“I was awakened from my day’s sleep by the din of the foragers destroying what they could not take. When I saw what was happening, it needed no thought to know that it was wrong.” He let out a sigh. “I wish that it had been night. Then I could have done more. I am so sorry.”

“Besides myself, Sir, how many of our village live?

“None, I fear. There may be one or two that fled.”

“So, besides me, you have naught to eat either. Is that correct, Sir?”

“It is. I am dreadfully hungry but I did not save you to make a walking larder of you. You live, and only one such as I can tell you how great a gift that is.”

She gazed about the ruin of a hovel, the shattered hole in the wall where a door had been. The tumbled lumps of dried mud bricks scattered carelessly about where they fell when the now ruined door had fallen, broken. The sagging rafter poles supporting the mostly intact thatch.

She spoke firmly. “Your life is as much a gift as mine, Sir. I too, am dreadfully hungry. Do you know if the foragers left anything behind?”

He nodded. “A goodly bit, actually. I did stop them from burning two barns and many of the homes that they looted. Because I was harassing them, they were in haste. Many pantries have some food for your kind left.”

“Good Sir, my dear savior, my leg will bear me, though I fear that I shall limp the rest of my days. Help me, please, to gather some of the food that was left now. I do have a reason to venture out, even though it be dark.”

For answer, he simply helped her to get to her feet. He led her past the snow covered, slashed and stabbed bodies of her fallen friends and companions to the ruins of different wrecked or partly burned homes.

He was right. It only took searching two of the destroyed village’s houses to gain enough. “Good Sir, we should repair now to the safety of the fire. This snow has me all of a shiver.”

He had saved three heavy blankets along with her food. He hung two to shield the doorway.

She set about both warming herself by the fire and cooking some of the food. “Can you eat of this food at all, my good Sir? I would share it if you can.”

He sat near her and shook his head sadly, “That I cannot do, dear mare. I wish that I could.”

She set about serving herself the food and bit her lip as she steeled herself to speak. “My name, good Sir, is Ellesen. I do wish that you would call me by it. I do not know yours, either.”

He took a deep breath and let it out as a plume of steam in the chill of the place. “I am Rodeger. Sir Rodeger. I swear that I shall not harm you, Ellesen.”

As she finished up the meal, Ellesen replied, “I admit that I know little of your kind, Sir Rodeger. I am sure that most of it is myth. Please tell me plainly one thing. When you feed, must you kill or enslave the one from whom you drink?”

Sir Rodeger chuckled sadly, “No. Not at all. There is, however, one thing that cannot be undone. If I were to drink of you, you will become one such as I, after you die. I would not wish that upon you at all.”

To Sir Rodeger’s amazement, Ellesen embraced him. “There is far worse in this world than to be such a one as you, Sir Rodeger.

“Do you know what night this is?”

“I confess, Ellesen, that I do not. I lost count of the days and years long ago.”

“The attack on our village happened on Hearthwarming. You fought to save us. Even though I may be the only one left of my kin, I have a thing to be thankful for, Sir Rodeger.

“Not my life, though that is precious. I have YOU to be thankful for on this night of nights. You fought an enemy army to save me and are now fighting a harder battle yet. Your own hunger.”

He gave her an astounded look. “Ellesen, do you mean what I fear that you mean?”

She nodded calmly and held him closer. “I do. You gave me this life. I offer you this trust that you will not harm me. Take what you need of me. Have a share back of what you have given. None that live should hunger on this night.”

He shuddered softly in her grip. “None has ever made this offer before. I promise to be careful of this gift.” He lowered his lips to her neck.

She held herself still for his bite, though she shivered with the effort. She need not have worried. His bite was as gentle as a kiss, though it lasted longer than most.

When he was done, Ellesen smiled and hugged him close. “As the sun is no danger to you, Sir Rodeger, would you stay by my side? I would not be parted from one so good as you.”

Carefully draping the last blanket about them both, Sir Rodeger said, “I would be honored, Ellesen.”

They huddled together before the small fire and awaited the dawn.