• Published 16th Feb 2016
  • 256 Views, 1 Comments

A Wild Flutterball Appears - PlanetKiller



If Pinkie Pie was a pegasus you would get Flutterball, and a soaked Rainbow Dash; but he means well.

  • ...
 1
 256

Betcha fifty bits I can show you something cool

Betcha fifty bits I can show you something cool


Nopony would notice the gray Pegasus against the storm clouds buffeting his body. It didn't help his mane was steel blue. When Flutterball had set out from Cloudsdale, he hadn't counted on a storm coming from the Everfree forest. Normally a weather team would break the storm up. It either it was too big for a local team, or somepony had decided it wasn't worth breaking up. Regardless, Flutterball was now at the storm's mercy; his saddlebags not helping. Looking down, he saw a welcoming light and aimed at the prospect of shelter.

Coming in too fast, the cheery window politely welcomed the Pegasus' face with a crash. He barely noticed bouncing off a bed, but the adjacent wall was more than happy to sing him a lullaby upon impact.

Kind blue eyes, long pink mane, fuzzy yellow fur. Flutterball awoke to a beautiful Pegasus, in fact he seemed to be in her bed. He realized that she had bandaged him and patched the wall last night. It looked like she hadn't slept, watching over him as he took the only bed in her house.

“Oh good, you're awake. I bandaged you as best I could while Angel nailed plywood on the window” her voice was as soft as melted butter.

Flutterball noticed a bunny in the room. It looked simultaneously annoyed at him and pleased with itself; quite a feat for a bunny.

“Thanks, my name's Flutterball” croaked Flutterball “and I feel like I was bounced by a very polite wall”

“Oh, um, well, my name is Fluttershy, and you kinda did bounce off my wall” she was cutely shy.

“Thank you” Flutterball used his mouth to remove the blankets on him.

“That cutie mark looks like me” whispered Fluttershy

Flutterball's cutie mark did bear a striking resemblance to Fluttershy. It was a pink ball with yellow wings.

“I rather like your butterflies, they're appropriate” Flutterball proceeded to get up, and promptly face-planted upon the floor. “Horbay, ah'm grobin ah faceplanth”

“Um, let me help you” Fluttershy slid under him and helped him up.

“Tanks” His nose was bleeding “lebme shee if I remember ha ta do thibs”

Flutterball widened his stance and focused energy through his body. After several seconds he shook off many of the bandages. Fluttershy looked in awe at his unharmed body that had been badly scratched the previous night. Even his nose stopped dripping blood.

“I never liked staying hurt” Flutterball explained “so I learned a spell”

“Um, only unicorns can use magic” Fluttershy's eyes went wide “how”

“Can you use it on others?

“Can you teach me”

“Most Pegasi can use basic wind and water skills” Fluterball had a quizzical look “it's how we stand on clouds and fly”

“Earth ponies can use basic earth and fire skills, hence their farming and cooking.

“Unicorns are actually kinda weak, most don't even use any elements.

“Unless they are good at all types of magic, they'd best hope to master an element or two.

“Also; nope, nope, and nope I've got to go” Flutterball moved toward the front door.

Fluttershy bit his tail and dragged him back; jumping in his way.

“You shall stay here and heal”

“No I won't” argued Flutterball.

“You will heal until I say you are fine” Fluttershy stared in his facade pink eyes.

“What? You think you have some kind of stare looking at my like that”

“I'm a Cloudsdalian, stares don't work on me; only food” Flutterball waved his hoof around.

“Oh, yeah, um, you must be hungry; I'll get you something to eat” Before Fluttershy could rush off, Flutterball grabbed her by the tail. She eeped blushingly and looked at him.

“Where is your bathroom” he asked, muzzle full of pink tail.


It took a few days to convince Fluttershy that he was fully recovered. She was obviously concerned about the gray Pegasus, and he was thankful for her kindness. It was probably for the best he stayed, the healing spell was temporary. Honestly, he enjoyed the opportunity to collect his wits, he wasn't all there sometimes (or ever). Within those few days Flutterball had taught her how to use the healing spell and helped with the animals. She wasn't very good, but it had taken him a year to learn it himself.

When Flutterball was allowed to leave he met the Cutie Mark Crusaders outside of Fluttershy's cottage. They tended to visit every week to help with the animals. Upon seeing them Flutterball introduced himself. Likewise, the CMC returned the greeting.

“They're so adorable” Flutterball exclaimed “Sweetie Belle's voice is so cute”

“Uh, ah think ah have had mah daily dose of weird today” Applebloom, a yellow earth pony filly, looked concerned.

“Don't be rude, he's just speaking his mind” Scootaloo, an orange pegasus filly , admonished.

“You just like him because he's a Pegsus” squeaked Sweetie, a white unicorn filly.

“Scootaloo and, um, flutterball sitting inna tree” started Sweetie and Applebloom

“Shut up” Scootaloo glared.

“Do you know Rainbow Dash” she changed the subject “she's awesome”

“I saw her sonic rainboom a while back” replied Flutterball “and noticed a conspicuous pink earth pony in Cloudsdale”

“Betcha can't beat her” taunted Scootaloo.

“Dash or the pink terror”Flutterball inquired.

“Rainbow Dash” the orange filly groaned “she's going to teach me to fly”

This prompted the other two fillies to chant about Scootaloo and Dash in a tree.

“You can't fly” Flutterball inquired.

“No, my wings are too small to fly” Scootaloo looked downcast.

“Keep practicing, you'll get it someday” Flutterball cheered.

“Hey, Fluttershy, can you deliver my saddlebag to Rarity in a few hours” inquired Flutterball “I have some things to do and can't be slowed by them”

“Oh, it would be my pleasure for all your help” Fluttershy nodded, her pink mane shaking.

“Thanks, gotta go” Flutterball replied.

With that Flutterball flew toward Ponyville; a devious plan forming in his head. He had found the element bearers, time for some 'fun'.

“Guys, we should hook him up with Rainbow dash” Scootaloo's eyes brightened

“NO!” shouted the other two crusaders.


Flutterball had a certain pull on others, he didn't deny that. He made friends fast and didn't keep enemies; not serious ones. If he spoke to somepony he made sure they remembered him, otherwise nopony ever noticed him. Rainbow Dash would know about him in ten seconds flat. In hindflight, maybe he shouldn't have had that last thought.

A splash of rainbow color on white caught Flutterball's attention. Blue sleeping pegasus, check. Rainbow mane and tail, check. Sleeping like a foal on a cloud, check. Huzzah, let the fun commence. And thus Flutterball started on a series of foalish events.

Flutterball carefully moved the cloud over a nearby pond. Looking at the blue pegasus mare made him want to listen to her heartbeat, but that would wake the victim. Her shallow breathing was ruffling the cloud adorably. Too bad, so sad, Flutterball thought and popped the cloud. Rainbow Dash shrieked like a filly before she splashed down. Best prank ever! Flutterball thought and flew up so Rainbow would see him upon surfacing. As he was focusing his energy Rainbow erupted from the pond; her magenta eyes glaring wrath.

“What's the big idea” shouted Rainbow; Flutterball just blew a raspberry. Incidentally, his favorite berry.

“I'm going to POUND you” Dash was adorable when flustered, Flutterball thought.

Rainbow colors exploded from the pond and Dash quickly closed the gap to her target. Flutterball loved a good game of chicken, sometimes it got him into trouble. Actually it always spelled trouble, and once a marriage proposal. Just before collision; Flutterball pulled up and nipped Dash's ear; eliciting that filly shriek again.

Flutterball hit the surface of the pond, releasing energy. The surface erupted into a mushroom cloud. Rainbow Dash quickly dove after her target, unaware that Flutterball had created some random wind currents in the cloud. She'd be chasing wayward currents for a bit, so Flutterball exited the cloud and zipped toward Rarity's.



Several minutes later, Flutterball exited the boutique; assured that another pony would remember his name. Seeing the coast was clear, he flew off toward an imposing crystal structure in the distance. Soaring near the door he looped around the back of the crystal castle and landed hard on the balcony; he was tired and needed a rest. Entering the balcony doors, he was faced with a purple alicorn mare with a purple and indigo mane.

“Hey Sparks” Flutterball Grinned.

“Do I know you” Twilight stared at the gray pegasus.

“Apologies” Flutterball bowed “I'm Flutterball, can I ask you to be at Carousel Boutique in a bit, thanks”

“I guess” Twilight looked confused “What's this about, wait how do you know me”

Flutterball gave a blank stare “We know all your friends, Twilight” this visibly spooked her.

“Just kidding” Flutterball laughed “one sonic rainboom and a couple of earth ponies in Cloudsdale does not go unnoticed”

“Oh that must be where you know me from” Twilight looked relieved.

“Three, two, one” Flutterball moved away from the glass doors.

“Oh look, Rainbow Dash is coming, have you two met yet” Twilight was still trying to make sense of the intruder.

“Gotta go” Flutterball dove for the stairs and glided down, a confused purple alicorn in his wake.

Before leaving the castle Flutterball thought he had glimpsed a light purple unicorn mare. He exited with more on his mind to care and flew toward the market.

“Where is he” came Rainbow's shout from within the castle “I'll pound him in ten seconds flat” does she even think before opening her muzzle, Flutterball wondered?

A minute later she burst from the front door, screaming threats. Flutterball didn't have much energy, so he gathered what was left.

“Skyrocket” thermals erupted under Flutterball allowing the grey pegasus to quickly gain altitude. Rainbow Dash was quick to keep up, murder etched upon her lovely magenta eyes. After running out of the skillfully generated thermals, Flutterball looped into a dive; gathering more energy.

“Tailwind” a massive wind generated behind the gray pegasus allowing him to pass Rainbow Dash going the opposite direction. Rainbow Dash quickly turned about, but Flutterball was gaining speed. Several more tailwinds, and a cone of pressure was surrounding Flutterball. This will kink her tail, thought Flutterball as a halo of steel-blue energy exploded behind him. The overpressure hit Dash and she crashed into an apple cart manned (ponied?) by a stocky red stallion.

Rainbow Dash was surprised at the sonic boom and colliding with the apple cart surprised her even more. Red and blue usually clashed, but Dash made it look good, Flutterball thought. Using the last of his speed Flutterball aimed for an iconic gingerbread house.

The door to Sugarcube Corner was open and Flutterball glided in, exhausted. He noticed a pink earth mare with a poofy pink mane behind the counter. There was also a light gray pegasus mare with a bubbly cutie mark in front of the counter. She was getting the stale muffins at a great discount.

“Blast, I left my bits with Fluttershy” he facehoofed under his breath.

That was great” the pink pony bounced “I never knew you could facehoof under your breath”

“Would you like some muffins” the pegasus asked “I have a few extra”

“Thanks” replied Flutterball “My name is Flutterball, I know about Pinkie Pie, but what is your name”

“I'm Muffins, but sometimes I'm called Derpy, when I mess up” her eyes were the same color as her mane, and they were a bit askew. “I just don't know what went wrong though”

Together the two pegasi sat down at a table to enjoy their muffins while Pinkie Pie brought them glasses of water.

“But I haven't got any money” Flutterball objected

“it's on the house; stale muffins were dry after all” Pinkie replied “plus you two make a good couple”

Flutterball objected to this with another facehoof, he was starting to collect them; those and face-plants.

“But I'm with Time Turner” Muffins looked confused.

“Aww, I wanted to see you do that under your breath again” Pinkie wet back behind the counter

Flutterball facehoofed under his breath, just for Pinkie pie. He quickly finished his muffins and water while thanking the pegasus for her generosity. He was heading toward the door, but he had to repay Pinkie's 'kind words'. With fresh energy he turned around and walked toward the counter. When he got there he inhaled sharply, leaned over, and blew in the pink pony's left ear. She fell over giggling. It wasn't expected, but her getting the hiccups seemed like adequate retribution for her comment.

“There you are” a familiar voice called from behind.

Flutterball turned to find the angry magenta eyes of Rainbow Dash staring him down. She slowly walked forward and kept her eyes on him. Muffins stared at the spectacle, and something else, as Pinkie kept hick-laughing (hick-downs) behind the counter. Rainbow was now muzzle-to-muzzle with Flutterball; aggression pouring off her. Flutterball stood his ground, this was almost too easy, he thought.

Put your right hoof forward, pull your left hoof up, put your left hoof forward and…

“Dashie” Flutterball wispered in the angry pony's ear.

'Pomph', the response of her wings was immediate. Before she could react, Flutterball rolled to the right, jumped up, and glided out of Sugarcube Corner. He passed a brown earth stallion that had an hourglass on his flank.

Pumping his wings, Flutterball gained altitude and aimed toward a large farm. As hot as Dash was, it might take several minutes for her to control her wings. Pony ears were so sensitive, it almost too easy; almost.

The flight to Sweet Apple Acres was uneventful. Flutterball didn't need to meet Applejack, but there was one more thing to do. Aiming for a small tree-house, he came in for a landing. He guessed that Applebloom was related to Applejack, but was rolling figurative dice that Scootaloo would be there. Hopefully he wasn't too conspicuous, but it didn't matter, AJ was already there. She was bucking trees, but still noticed his arrival.

“Howdy, what can Ah do ya for” the orange earth pony asked.

“My name is Flutterball” he waved his wing toward an apple and it fell.

“do you mind” he caught the apple with his wing.

“Not ah tall” Applejack's blond ponytail was caught by a gust of wind.

“Thanks” Futterball began eating “I know you are Applejack by the way”

“Well that puts me at ah disadvantage, not knowin' your name an all” AJ hoofed the ground

“I just told you it was Flutterball” he loved this trick.

It took some ponies a while to figure out what he was doing and he loved every minute of it; from them being stumped to their realization. It took many quite some time to figure his trick out, not from a lack of intelligence; but because the trick was so surreal. Many unicorns flat out denied what Flutterball had just done.

“Yeah, uh, um. What'cha waitin' for” AJ hoofed the ground again.

“For you to figure out what I'm doing” Flutterball dropped the apple core. Snapping his wing up, another apple fell to his feathery grip.

“How are ya doin' that” Applejack was a blue-eyed shocked pony when it dawned on her. Flutterball was knocking the apples off from a distance. Like some kind of unseen wind blade.

“Basic magic can be done by all ponies” Flutterball explained “earth ponies can use earth and fire skills; thus their skills growing and cooking”

“Focus energy in your hoof and stomp the ground” he said

Upon doing this, Applejack noticed the micro crater around her hoof.

“L-I-B” she whispered “lookit that”

“Unicorns will tell you otherwise, but you use these natural skills when you buck trees” Flutterball continued the lesson

They both looked up when a buzzing sound started getting louder. Flutterball grinned at the approach of his intended target.

“That must be Scootaloo comin' to the clubhouse” AJ drawled “Hay, Applebloom, company”

That prompted a yellow filly with a pink bow in her red mane to appear from the tree-house.

“Whats he doin' here” her face scrunched into a disgusted look.

“Now Applebloom, be nice ta our guest” Applejack gave a maternal look.

“If you're not careful, you're face will stick that way” added Flutterball; Applejack laughed at this.

“Ah dunno, he's kinda creepy” Applebloom still had the look “He acts all friendly, but ah think he's plannin' somethin'”

Buzzing, Scootaloo hopped a hill with her scooter, her purplish eyes widening at the sight of Flutterball. Huzzah, the fun has been doubled, Flutterball thought.

The orange filly parked near the treehouse, her purple eyes widening at the sight of Flutterball.

“Hey flutterball, I saw you racing Dash, you're really good” Scootaloo exclamed. “I thought she was the only one to do a rainboom”

Flutterball puffed his chest at this. “One day you might do one of your own”

“Really” Scootaloo's eyes were as big a saucers “maybe mine will be the same color as my mane, like yours and Dash's”

“Ah see ya've meet dash and Scootaloo” AJ drawled “What do we owe tha pleasure of yer visit to”

“I was actually hoping Scootaloo would be here, I heard you hang out here from Sweetie Belle” Flutterball raised his wings.

“Really” Scootaloo's eyes brightend “What do you want me for”

“By all appearances, fillynapping” Flutterball used his wings to knock Applejack away with a mighty gust.

“Fall” at Flutterball's intonation, Applebloom dropped to her knees.

Flutterball flittered over and stood above Scootaloo. He scooped the filly up with his hooves. A few powerful flaps later they were in the air, heading to the Carousel Boutique.

“Let me down” Scootaloo squirmed

“Long way down, and you can't fly” came the reply above “But we are low enough that Dashie can't catch you if she attacks me”

The captive filly quieted down and hung on, but trouble -or rescue- was a short distance away. Rainbow Dash was rising from Sugarcube Corner, her wings still a bit stiff. Apparently, she couldn't get her emotions under control that easily. Twilight was farther away, just coming from her castle. Flutterball kept his current heading until Dash was almost on top of him. Rolling to the left, he dived toward Carousel Boutique.

“Rarity, hold the door” he shouted while making final adjustments.

Rarity had heard the shout; the white unicorn used her magic to hold the door open. Flutterball swooped in, landing in frond of a ponyquin that had a strange harness on it. Dropping Scootaloo he sat down to prevent the filly's egress.

“Flutterball” Sweetie Bell squeaked in recognition of their visitor.

“Help me” shouted Scootaloo

“Oh my” gasped Rarity

“There you are” Rainbow Dash landed right behind Flutterball

“Rainbow, wait” Twilight was still flying outside, several yards away

“Look” Flutterball ducked down, pointing at the ponyquin.

This caught everypony's attention as Twilight stumbled in. It took every bit of restraint Flutterball had to not shout 'pony-pile', he didn't want to visit the local hospital just yet; maybe later though.

“What's that” Scootaloo and dash asked in unison

Upon the ponyquin there was a harness with wings. The wings were made of silk stretched taught between small, light wood poles. It looked just right for a filly, with adjustable straps to allow the wearer some growth. There were also sleeves in the wings to allow smaller wings to control them.

“It is a harness to allow Scootaloo to fly” Flutterball spoke “You can use it to practice flying with better results”

“You sure it will work” Dash looked down incredulously

“Sure, it is enchanted to help with flight” replied Flutterball “now you and Scootaloo can fly together”

“Isn't that great” Scootaloo looked up at dash as Twilight stood up groaning

“What in tarnation is goin' on” Applejack burst in, Applebloom in tow

“Yeah are we having a party” Pinkie Pie bounced from a corner.

“Um, I brought your saddlebags” Fluttershy whispered from just outside.

“Oh, how much do I owe you” Flutterball looked over at Rarity

The white unicorn looked shocked, her purple mane starting to frizz.

“Well I'll just get out of everypony's manes” Flutterball started to crawl backwards, under Rainbow Dash.

“Oh no you don't” Rainbow Dash put her back hooves together then bent down to whisper “If it works, I'll let you go”

'POMPH' Flutterball's traitorous wings stood at attention.

“Let's try it out squirt” Dash stepped over Flutterball and toward the ponyquin.

“Don't even think about it” Twilight and AJ looked at Fluterball; still huddled on the floor.

After Rainbow dash and Rarity helped Scootaloo into the wings everypony went outside. Scootaloo flapped her new 'wings' slowly and gained some height. With minimal instruction from both Dash and Flutterball, Scootaloo was able to master the winged harness within the hour. Everypony there was enjoying the sight as the setting sun began to tan the sky.

“So what do I owe you, Rarity” Flutterball was wearing his saddlebags now.

“Oh, don't worry about it dear, I'm just happy it worked out” she replied.

“Cool, so I guess… all is forgiven” Flutterball realized he should have shut up.

“About that” Rainbow started.

“Ah don't think so” Applejack continued.

“I'm going to have to back my friends on this one” Twilight turned to Flutterball “what you did was totally uncalled for”

“Now girls, I'd rather not see a fight in my front yard” Rarity placed herself between her friends and Flutterball “especially when you outnumber somepony”

“Yeah, Flutterball was fun” Pinkie Pie stood with Rarity. Fluttershy backed away behind a tree, Flutterball couldn't blame her for that.

Flutterball beamed “See, I'm so lucky that nopony can harm me”

“Oh wow” Twilight blanched, everypony else looked shocked.

“I like a challenge” Pinkie Pie looked back at Flutterball manically.

“Just don't get any blood on my lawn” Rarity trotted away.

Flutterball backed away from the four ponies advancing on him. The tree behind him halted his egress. Digging in his saddlebags he produced a pair of glasses and flipped them onto his muzzle.

“You wouldn't hit a pony with glasses” Flutterball smiled.


“I can't believe they would hit a pony 'with' their own glasses” Flutterball groaned upon waking in a hospital bed. He was sore and hungry, but he focused on healing as quickly as possible.

A white pony trotted into the room, her cutie mark was a medical cross with hearts in the corners. Her mane and tail was pink with her mane was tied into a bun.

“Oh good, you're awake” the nurse pony looked at Flutterball “I'm nurse Redheart and I'll be checking up on you periodically”

“Betcha fifty bits I can show you something cool” Flutterball grinned at her.


“Sister have you noticed the happenings in Ponyville” a dark blue alicorn said.

“Yes Luna, I'm concerned for the citizens, it may be time for one last try” a white alicorn responded.

“Whatever do you mean, Celestia” Luna fluffed her wings.

“There was a project I was working on while you were gone” Celestia stood up “I was trying to summon mother's hero, he might know what happened to her”

“The masked hero of light, how” Luna looked shocked

“I have his shirt as a guide, but pulling people from time is… hazardous” Celestia walked out of the room with Luna following.

Several minutes later they were in a room illuminated with candles looking at a tattered piece of red cloth.

“I hope this works, I'd like to know who took mother's life” Luna said

“Me too” replied Celestia “Next month we shall summon Starlight Glimmer and commence when she arrives”

Author's Note:

I had fun writing this.