• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 562 Views, 0 Comments

Trash Bin Fic: The Gray Mares - Bearycool



This why you should the first piece of fiction you ever writer. Seriously.

  • ...
 0
 562

Prologue

The Gray Mares
By: Bearycool

Fic created on Dec. 31, 2010.
First Fic evah
You’ve been warned.

===
Sometimes, gray is not always the neutral one… Sometimes, it holds a malevolent being waiting to show its black strides… its true colors…
===
Prologue:
Some talk of the legend of the Two Fillies.
Two that looked as one, but of different hearts.
One that would forget and live a crazed and confusing life.
One that would remember to tell the other of their secret triumph.

They would separate for a time
and everypony to think of just one.
Then Darkness would hide away,
and false peace would lay upon the land.
However, just as judgment comes, so too darkness must come again.

Behold a prophecy.

When the Two come together,
to be intertwined once more,
the former will remember and change all along with the other.

Everypony shall see, and know there are two;
instead of one.
As this happens,
light will shine and remember the darkness that is hidden.

When that hiding place is found,
darkness so thick will cover the land
that even the Mare of the Moon shall tremble before its might.

Darkness will be given power and authority,
but the Two Gray Mares will be given even more.
One will speak hope; hope that mirrors her crazed demeanor and light.
One will speak knowledge; knowledge like that given to her about the other.
The two shall collide, and a ray of hope in that time will come.
===
Is that a plum?”
-Some Pony

“I hold a silent tongue until the times are right.”
-Your Strange Narrator, whose name you have heard many times in speech.
===

The swish of the air was the only warning of the Hatter and his assistant’s coming. A forlorn candle sparked into life as their bodies began to materialize into the dim room. The light showed a small wooden table that was fixated in the center. When the Hatter became fully real, he quickly came up to the table and placed his hooves on it.

“… They are coming again….” said the Hatter

The assistant looked upon his master’s face, and saw the knowledge in his eyes of it coming to pass. However, he still felt shock at how soon it had come.

“Yes, soon darkness will follow suit,” replied the assistant. “Do you feel like it’s time to tell her?”

The forlorn light of the candle danced on their faces as the Hatter contemplated his assistant’s question. As the assistant waited for his master’s reply, he looked around the room. This was the first time the assistant had seen his master’s studies and he was quite surprised on how small and humble it was. The walls were gray and were slowly chipping away, and the only furniture in the room was the small table with the tiny candle in the middle. He assumed the Hatter brought his manuscripts here after he got them from his library since there were no shelves to be seen at all.

The Hatter walked about the room, still thinking on the assistant’s question. The candle cast shadows on him as he went around the small room in small strides. The Hatter stopped at a dark corner that the candle could not reach and looked upon a particular spot.

It was a picture frame.

The assistant was surprised to not have seen it when they entered, but it was most likely the way the lighting was. He tried to get a better look to see the picture but the assistant could not see with the poor light.

“Yes…” began the Hatter. “I think it is time for someone to tell her. I think it’s time for everypony to know they are two different entities.”

“Sir?”

“They, the ponies,” whispered the Hatter, “believe that she is one pony. They think she is a loon that always changes moods and names… Sure, the one that does not know is somewhat crazy, but she isn’t as crazy as the pink one...”

The assistant was shocked at this; he knew from the Hatter’s teachings that they were similar, but not more so that nopony could not tell that they were actually two ponies. The assistant shook his head and looked at the Hatter.

“This isn’t one of your tricks, is it?”

“Only a little bit… I just made sure that everypony didn’t become suspicious of them, but everything else followed suit, just as the prophecy states…”

“Sir, while were on this, how do you think the one with weird eyes will react to this? You know, the one that does not know.”

“I don’t know… it doesn’t say in the prophecy or in any of the manuscripts that I’ve taught you…”

Even in the dark, the assistant could see the worry in his master’s eyes. He didn’t know if she would try to run away from it, become even more unstable, or something worse.

The Hatter walked to the table once more and stared intently at the candle light.

“Assistant…”

“Yes, sir?”

“I think you should be the one to go get them…”

The assistant’s eyes widen and his flanks stiffened.

“M-me, sir?”

“Yes, you are younger than me, and wouldn’t scare them off.”

The assistant narrowed his eyes, and then realized that his master was right. His clothing looked like it came off tree bark, and his hat looked like a big wild plum. His body was a dark maroon that resembled wet dirt and his face looked torn with age and looked quite ugly from the gashes from centuries past. The colt looked down and shook his head; this was his first mission that the Hatter had given him and it was a very important one at worst. He heard a cough and looked up.

The Hatter was now closer and looking at him.

“I’m promoting you to successor, Gallant.”

The assistant-- who we shall call Gallant from now on-- widened his eyes once more and could feel horsebumps all over himself. Not only had he just been promoted, but the Hatter had just called him by his name.

“You know what this means, don’t you Gallant? You will be able to have almost all my rights, except being able to enter the Pinnacle. You will also succeed me when I die….”

“Sir… I don’t know if...”

“You must, Gallant. The Gray Mares must come together, and you’re the only one I can trust to do it! Now come, put your hoof on mine and take the oath.”

“But…”

“Must we dwindle on this, man! Trust me; just I have trusted you all your life!”

Gallant looked at him directly in the eyes, his heart thudding, and saw pleading in them.

“Alright,” Gallant sighed, knowing what he was about to do. “I will take the oath.”

The Hatter reached out his hoof to Gallant, and Gallant did the same. As they touched, the room began to swish back and forth. Everything became blurs of gray and yellow and the Hatter’s body began to disappear.

“Good luck, my successor…”

The world kept turning, and different colors began to combine with the gray. As they did, the Hatter began to disappear into the spinning air. The candle and table were also gone, and Gallant could see that that the floor was changing into grass.

“Here we go…” whispered Gallant to himself.

The colors now started to paint out different solid figures and the swishing started to slow down. Anything purple and gray began showing far off mountains, and anything blue began to show either the sky or small birds that began to fly past Gallant’s sight. Eventually, the colors stopped and Gallant was able to discern that he was in a great field with flowers, far off mountains, and a small town nearby.

“Well, I guess it’s time to get started.”

(...Nos van nit sti metacholic... echoed a voice)

Gallant turned his gaze towards the town, straightened his gentleman's hat, and began to walk the first steps of a long journey.

===

I believe I have stayed silent long enough. I have given you the beginning, but it’s time to go even farther away from that beginning, reader. Indeed, I must tell you a few quick stories after this, for they hold importance to the very plot. However, I must say that they will confuse you up to a point that I have deemed appropriate. You will find symbols, places, characters, lives, and sentiment all mixed up into a stew. Stay true, dear reader, I mean to give you all the explanation in time, just as I have given them to the characters you’re about to read. After all, a story is like life; you may have all the pieces, the present, but you don’t know where to place them until later, the future.


Now come, let us continue with a small scene before going on to a bigger picture.


a bigger light.

===

“We are one!” she shouted. “We are one, but we are different.”


“Just as the Light is, was, and will...” said the other. “We are one, but we are different.”


The light from the ponies splashed across the eternal night that they floated in, and their voices echoed through it.


“Vien, nos van nit sti metacholic!” they shouted.


More light poured out from their flanks.


“Maybe at birth we were called, but we always had a choice.”


“Indeed,” said the other. “We cried, we wept, we pushed one another so we would not face this troubled time....”


“... we were weak even when others called us strong. They sought a miracle from us, but we could not give...”


The two of them looked into each other’s eyes, light pouring from their sockets, and smiled at each other.


“I am sorry, ...”


“I am sorry also, …”

As the final word was uttered, the two mares and their bodies disappeared into a perpetual light that nopony in eternity had ever seen before. In that light, came the many adventures and happenings of the two mares. From the blowing of bubbles in the woods, to the meeting of one, and everything in between.


“Well done,” sounded a voice. “Now come!”


The last bit of darkness that lasted through that light now died away from that voice. In turn, the light showed scenes that only one thing, pony, or person could recite. This is where our story begins, in the light of two Gray Mares, but may you be reminded that this scene we have just witnessed has not come to pass yet and the road of this story is still unclear. They still have a choice, and it’s time to see their path.