• Published 22nd Feb 2016
  • 476 Views, 47 Comments

Shadows' Call - NPP6



With a dangerous threat coming to Equestria, Hope has only one way to help. So he gambles everything on a young filly plagued by nightmares.

  • ...
4
 47
 476

Chapter 5 - Near Miss

Diamond dove backwards as Nyx’s barrier rematerialized. She must have bought the other filly enough time to recover. The shield wouldn’t take much, but it would probably be enough with the timberwolves distracted.

Applebloom trotted up to her and held out her hoof. “Howdy! Ah’m Applebloom, what’s your name?”

It took Diamond a moment to realize that the filly didn’t recognize her through her disguise. Trying to think fast, she saw her new cutie mark out of the corner of her eye. It reminded her of a special box of jewels that her father had purchased a little over a year back. The name of the pretty stones fell from her lips almost unbidden, “Black Diamond.”

Sweetie Bell gave her a smile. “Nice to meet you, my name is–”

“Sweetie Bell, I know. And these are Scootaloo, Nyx, Twist, Silver Spoon, Pipsqueak, and Button Mash.”

Scootaloo’s eyes narrowed. “How do you know who we are?”

“Not important.” Nyx preempted Diamond’s response. “We can trust her.”

“Are you sure?” Silver asked.

The alicorn nodded. “We’ve met before.” To the now confused Diamond, she added, “You do a little time travelling in the future.”

The filly with the ice blue mane blinked at her. Finally, she shrugged. “Sure. Why not. Wouldn’t be any weirder than this last month.”

Nyx stared at her a moment longer. “It’s you, isn’t it? You’re the filly who’s supposed to save us, aren’t you?”

“I guess so.”

“Thank you for helping us. They wouldn’t have been able to respond to our distress beacons in time if you hadn’t.” Nyx motioned to the glowing pendants somepony had pulled out of their saddlebags.

“I had to do something.”

“Do you know what we’re up against?”

“…No. Not yet.”

Another explosion rocked the cave. “Rainbow Dash and my mom could probably use your help out there.”

“I’m not sure I can help them. You saw me just now; I couldn’t even scare those wolves.”

“There’s always something you can do to help, even if nopony thinks it’s very much.”

“Maybe, but… I just started this, I have no idea what to do.”

“Can I tell you a secret about protecting ponies? You never really know what you’re doing, you just make half of it up as you go along.”

“…Why are you telling me all this?”

“Because I’m the alicorn of protection. Which means that when I can’t protect ponies myself, I need to try and help others to.”

The pair turned to the scene outside the cave, forgetting their friends momentarily. Four more timberwolves had been attracted to the sound of fighting; although one had joined the first one Twilight blew apart. “To be honest, that shadow trick is the only thing I know. And it took me over a week to even get this far.”

“Then use that however you can. And when you learn more, use that too.”

Diamond thought about this for a moment. She shot her friend a smirk, “Do you know any fire spells Nyx?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Keep them ready in case this doesn’t work.” Diamond sank back into her pool of shadow and raced into the clearing.


It wasn’t really that Twilight was in trouble. Had she wanted to, she probably could have just blasted the timberwolves into nonexistence. The problem was she didn’t want to.

She knew what they had started as, magical constructs with a simple animation spell, but still… There was no telling if they’d developed more than that in the past thousand years. What was proving difficult was driving them off without killing them.

Rainbow Dash was doing her best too, but no matter how hard she hit the wolves, they would just reassemble. It was a stalemate she was hesitant to break.

And then the black filly started flickering around the clearing. At first Twilight thought she was seeing things. Then she had a brief moment of terror where she thought it might be Nyx.

A quick glance to the cave confirmed that her daughter was safe behind the barrier. The next time she saw the filly, she realized that her mane was the wrong color entirely. What she couldn’t quite figure out was how the filly – who was obviously an earth pony, the way she wore her mane leaving her forehead completely exposed – was teleporting around the clearing.

The alicorn quickly realized the filly’s game. She was trying to be a distraction to the wolves, buy her and Rainbow a little breathing room. It was a nice attempt, unfortunately it wasn’t working. The mares had apparently made enough of a nuisance of themselves that the timberwolves were permanently focused on them.

Things got a little easier when Rarity and Applejack arrived. Twilight and Rainbow had left the pair at the entrance of the forest when they went airborne.

The filly materialized a short distance away, glaring at the wolves.


Diamond was annoyed.

She could handle being underestimated, insulted, or attacked, but these things weren’t doing any of those. They were ignoring her!

She stood there glaring at them. If they didn’t want live bait, then maybe they’d take an easy target.

…Diamond?

Her eyes widened. “Is that you Midnight?”

Yes. What are you doing?

“I’m trying to help.”

You’re not ready for this. Diamond, get out of there before you get yourself killed!

“I have to do something.”

…Alright. One condition, when I say leave, you leave. We can’t afford for Twilight and the others to figure out who you are.

“I understand.”

Do you know how to control your shadow yet?

“Not really. I kind of figured out how to shadow travel, but…”

Don’t worry. I never expected you to figure all of this out on your own. Just pay attention.

She stopped seeing. Had she had more technical knowledge, she would have realized that Midnight had temporarily overridden her optical nerves to show her something else.

It was a drawing of a pony. As she watched, the picture rotated. Shadows coalesced and rose up around the pony, calculations that she didn’t know why she understood writing themselves off to the side. As the pony did things with his shadow, she learned how to do them with hers.

The world faded back into her vision.

Alright Diamond. Good job… I need to rest now, that took a lot of energy…

“What was that?”

There is an old unicorn trick… where a spell is taught… by transferring it from one horn to another… this was a version of that… using the dreamscape.

“So you just… what’s that word Button uses… downloaded? You just downloaded that to my brain?”

Essentially. Will you be alright?

Diamond smirked. “Don’t worry Midnight, I’ll take it from here. Just let me know when I need to leave.”

There was no response. She wasn’t expecting one.

She stalked forward, reaching out to the shadows around her and feeling them rise to her call. She charged, galloping across the clearing instead of sinking into the shadows for fear of losing control of the shadows floating around her.

Her shadow struck one of the wolves, throwing it backwards into one of its friends. Telekinesis, that’s basically all it was.

She didn’t know it at the time, but she was actually quite lucky. For a first time using her powers, the timberwolves made good opponents. They were coordinated, but not sentient, and they weren’t used to their prey fighting back. It was a good chance for her to learn how to use her powers.

Had she not had this opportunity, things might have gone very differently later on.

The battle was short-lived after that. With the numbers on both sides even, the wolves seemed to decide that they couldn’t win. As soon as they were gone, Nyx dropped her shield and the foals ran out of the cave.

After a few minutes of everypony making sure everypony else was alright, Silver Spoon suddenly gasped. “Wait a minute! Where’s Diamond Tiara!?”

There was an awkward moment as the ponies looked around as if one of the others had an answer only to realize that all of them had forgotten the filly. Diamond found herself slightly hurt by this, but brushed it off with amusement. There had been a lot going on.

“She’s safe.”

The group turned to the earth pony, the adults’ eyes widening as they truly noticed her for the first time. “Black Diamond…” Twilight’s voice was almost a whisper.

“I guess that means I meet you too when I do my little time travel stunt, huh?”

“Yes… So it’s you then?”

“Apparently.”

The corner of Twilight’s mouth shifted up. “So I was right about Diamond then.” The filly felt her heart skip a beat before the mare continued, “She came to you didn’t she? She knows who you are, and she went to you for help, right?”

The filly relaxed. In the night sky above them, an astral stallion facehooved. He would later swear however, that he had never in his life been so grateful for a pony overthinking something.

“Yeah… Yeah, she knows who I am. She’s been helping me.”

Diamond, you need to be careful. If anypony figures out who you are before this is over, we lose everything.

“She’s a good filly.” Twilight’s gaze hardened. “I want you to make sure she stays out of trouble.”

We’re all in trouble Twilight.

“We’re all in trouble Twilight.” With a blush hidden by her coat color, the filly realized Midnight had been making an observation, not telling her what to say. “B-but I’ll do what I can. I’ll do my best to keep her from getting hurt.”

The mare sighed. “I suppose that’s all I can really ask for.”

“Twilight darling, if I may be so bold as to ask–”

“What the hay’s goin’ on here Twi?”

The alicorn looked at her friends, eyes widening. “Girls! That’s right, you’re… still… here… ehheh.”

Diamond, time to go.

Diamond smirked. “I need to go now. I’ll make sure Diamond Tiara gets home alright, don’t worry.” She sank into shadows as Twilight began explaining the situation to her friends.


It was the next night, and Diamond was waiting in the dreamscape castle. As Midnight came through the doors, she quietly asked him, “Where were you last night? I thought you’d be here.”

He sighed. “I would have, but… There was a high cost when I taught you telekinesis. I converted most of the cost to energy, but it took a lot out of me.”

Diamond nodded in acceptance. “We had a substitute teacher today… but Miss Cheerilee hadn’t told us about it beforehoof. Is she alright?”

“She’s fine, just… confused.”

“Is it because I tried to ask her about you?”

“…Yes and no. Don’t worry about it, there’s more going on than you realize. She’s just worried about you.”

“Worried about me?”

“Yes. She thinks you’re in danger. I’ll have to clear that up once all this is over.”

“She thinks it’s you, doesn’t she? She thinks you’re dangerous to me.”

“In a way.”

“Would it cost us if you told me what to do?”

“Yes. Or, we can use the bonus from letting the misunderstanding continue to help do something.”

“Alright then. What about me, would it cost us if I tried to clear things up?”

“No. That’s the main advantage of being a mortal: You don’t have to play by the rules.”

“Okay.” She paused for a moment to think. “You mentioned that you had some things for me once I decided.”

“I did. I do. The first is a puzzle of sorts:

“Names are identity, beyond merely power. Sun, Moon, Star, Shade, Blaze, Heart. Shade in stone, Blaze in fire, Heart in mirrors, and the first three in their own. Hope resides in stardust until the wishing star leaves the sky.”

“…That made absolutely no sense.”

“I know. That was intentional. You won’t understand until the time is right, it’s a precaution to lower the cost.”

“…I get the feeling you’re a very aggravating pony.”

“So I’ve been told. You’re other gift is a warning: He’s coming for the foals.”

“Who?” Silence responded. “Right, thanks for the help.”

“That’s the point Diamond, I can’t help you anymore. If I interfere in Equestria any further, he wins.”

“So what now?”

“Now? Now I have a young filly wearing the armor of my rangers who has no idea how to protect herself but has a large target on her flank.

“Now your training begins.”


Thursday morning saw Cheerilee back at her desk, waiting for her students to file in. Feathers hadn’t been able to find out anything about Midnight Star. It seemed like no guard or criminal in Equestria had ever heard the name.

So she was on her own again. Until she could find out a little bit more about who exactly he was, she couldn’t do anything.

The ringing bell started her out of her thoughts, almost making her drop the papers she had apparently been sorting through. Out of nothing more than reflex, she began calling roll. When she reached Diamond Tiara however, she felt her voice catch. The filly was wearing a long sleeved shirt that had a waistline partially covering her cuie mark.

It was a warm day, and anypony with eyes could tell that it wasn’t a fashion statement. Given what she already knew about the situation… This wasn’t good. This wasn’t good at all.


“Diamond Tiara? Can you please wait a little after everypony else leaves? Thank you.”

Diamond went through what was quickly becoming a routine, packing her saddlebags and then hanging them over the back of her chair while she waited for Miss Cheerilee to come talk to her.

Cheerilee sat on the floor in front of the filly’s desk for a while after the other students left, looking like she wasn’t sure what to say. Apparently she decided, because she abruptly broke the silence, “Diamond, roll up your sleeves.”

Diamond tried not to flinch or hesitate as she carefully flipped the cuffs up, revealing another two inches of fur on either hoof. “You know what I mean Diamond.”

“Miss Cheerilee? What is this about?”

“Diamond Tiara, either roll up your sleeves or take off that sweater!”

The filly froze. She wasn’t sure how, but apparently Miss Cheerilee knew. Slowly, gingerly, Diamond reached back and pulled her shirt up, and then over her head. She flinched as she heard the mare gasp, then again as she felt a hoof gently touch one of her bruises.

“Don’t worry Miss Cheerilee, it’s not as bad as it looks. He just couldn’t use a healing spell last night, he’ll be able to soon.”

“Diamond… Midnight did this to you?”

“Please don’t be angry, it’s not his fault. He doesn’t like it, but I have to learn somehow.”

Cheerilee choked. She was fighting hard not to cry at the state of the filly’s body. “Diamond… No. There’s no excuse for this. None whatsoever.”

“He didn’t have a choice Miss Cheerilee, I have to be ready and trained as soon as possible.”

“Diamond, no! You can’t let him keep doing this to you!”

“Yes I can! I have to!”

“Diamond, I don’t know what he’s told you, but–”

“No! Listen to me Miss Cheerilee! You’re one of the only ponies who actually cares, please don’t try and stop me!”

It was a metaphorical slap to the face. She had let herself get overly emotional. Cheerilee reminded herself of her training. “Stop you from what?”

“Making my choice.”

“The one you asked me about the other day?”

“Yes. I made it.”

“And what did you decide?”

The filly gave her a bright smile. “That I need to be strong like you. That I should be willing to get hurt for other ponies, if it meant they didn’t have to get hurt.” The knife in Cheerilee’s heart was back, joined by one in her gut.

“Diamond, that’s… That’s not something you should have to…”

“It’s okay Miss Cheerilee, really. I’m happy with my choice. Thank you by the way.”

Thank you? “For what?”

“Midnight told me you were trying to help me. He also said you were going about it the wrong way. You don’t need to worry Miss Cheerilee, Midnight would never hurt me.”

The knives in Cheerilee’s heart and gut turned to icicles. This was very bad. She did her best to smile, but she doubted at this point it was working. “That’s not what these say.” She pointed to the bruises.

Diamond shifted self-consciously. “I told you, he didn’t want to, but I needed to learn.”

“That’s not a very good way to teach you.”

“There aren’t really any others.”

Cheerilee’s response was cut off by a scream from the schoolyard. Both of them ran to the window and gazed in wide-eyed shock at the scene before them. Nyx, Dinky, Silver Spoon, and most of the crusaders were dancing around avoiding a cloaked pegasus.

“We’re too late.”

Cheerilee turned to her student, “What?”

“Cheerilee, we need to stop those ponies. I might disappear, so don’t worry if you can’t find me. I’m not sure how much time I’ve got left in Ponyville, so I need to pass on a warning, the same one he gave me. Please be careful Cheerilee, use it to help my friends, please?”

Her old training was still kicking in. Cheerilee’s response was automatic, “Of course Diamond, what’s the warning?”

“He’s coming after the foals.”

And then Diamond Tiara turned and galloped out the door.

Author's Note:

And here we are. Diamond finally made her decision, while Cheerilee and Twilight are caught in the same logic trap of presuming prior conclusions to be correct.
Yes they will eventually figure things out to Cheerilee's embarrasment and Twilight's chagrin, but that's still down the road at least a little.
Also, before anypony asks why Midnight showed up so late, he was busy in Luna's dreamscape. He "showed up" as soon as the signal she put out when she accepted the armor reached him.
Thanks for reading!
-NPP6