• Published 7th Feb 2016
  • 4,222 Views, 39 Comments

Essence of the Night Stalker - Merc Scar



A young man strikes up a bargain to be given the powers of darkness. Will he loose himself and embrace his new powers, or will he resist.

  • ...
10
 39
 4,222

Chapter 11 - Evasive action

Micheal rolled to the side as his doppelganger flew past him with outstretched claws. Both had tried to rake theirs along the others sides but only succeeded in grabbing a pawful of feathers.

As his doppelganger was turning around Micheal took his opportunity and leaped at it.

Just as he was about to make contact the doppelganger jumped up, then slammed down onto his back driving him into the floor.

Micheal struggled furiously as the doppelganger raked its claws along him, his tail swinging ferociously.

A loud crack and a squawk from above was the signal that he had his something. Taking the opportunity he jolted himself up, knocking his doppelganger off.

We must escape, Obsidian growled. Those princesses will be here any minute, and we're already having trouble with this.

Micheal grunted in agreement as he dodge the doppelganger again.

As he dodge attack after attack Micheal began positioning himself towards a window, the doppelganger passing him one more time, now standing in front of a window.

Micheal gave a loud screech and charge with all his might and leapt straight towards the doppelganger, who rolled away to the side just as he hoped. Raising his forelegs and ducking his head he speared out the window.

He allowed himself to free fall for a couple of seconds to gain momentum and distance before spreading his wings.

Okay I agree that perhaps we should have gone to the train now, Obsidian said apprehensively. We need to get out of here before the princesses or that Guardian catch us.

So what exactly was that thing, Micheal asked.

Just focus on getting us out of here safely, Obsidian demanded. I'll tell you about it when we're not in danger of being killed.

Micheal huffed as he flew in the shadows of the castle, guiding himself to the train yards. He was able to avoid the pegasi patrols thanks to his dark sleek form, acting as a natural camouflage.

Soon he was gliding over the train yard, he could see all around the station the lights glowed from the semi-circle structure. Several trains sat quietly in the yard proper but one sat inside the station itself.

From what Micheal could see there were few ponies milling around the only one train that sat idling at he platforms, steam gently pouring from an exhaust.

That must be our ride, Micheal said, gliding down near the platforms.

Quick as he could, Micheal landed in the darkness of the yard, then skittered over the rails towards the train.Slipping between the platform and the train he shuffled down the length until he reached the caboose.

Peaking up over the platform Micheal made sure the coast was clear before entering the caboose. Slamming the door behind him he let out a sigh of relief, he was going to escape.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" A voice demanded behind him.

Turning around he was greeted by a pony wearing overalls and flimsy cap.

A low grumble of Micheal's stomach reminded him he hadn't eaten in quite some time. He could feel his primal urges rising and found them hard to resist.

"Just a weary...hungry...traveler," Micheal said, advancing lowly.

The pony gulped and took a few steps back.

"I'm sure w-we could get you something," the pony stammered.

"I'm sure we will," Micheal hissed.

____________

Celestia marched towards the throne room, her sister and a squad of her elite guard in toe.

"We must capture the demon and prepare the light chamber to dispose of him," Celestia said darkly. "We cannot afford him to escape again."

"Surely he won't stray too far, sister, " Luna said. "He went straight for Nightmares armor, she must be controlling him. So he could try and reach it again."

"That's why we need to destroy the armor," Celestia responded.

"I'm not sure that would be wise, sister," Luna cautioned. "Nightmare's armor is the only thing anchoring her, if we try to destroy it, it could release her instead."

Celestia stopped are the large ornate doors of the throne room and sighed.

"Very well, sister," Celestia said. "But we need to hide the pieces somewhere secure so she won't be released."

"Agreed," Luna nodded.

A commotion on the other side of the door caused Celestia's ears to perk up. She could barely understand what was being said, so she slid her ear up against the door.

"BUT HE'S GETTING AWAY!" A female voice shouted from inside the throne room.

"Patience," another female voice spoke soothingly. "We need the co-operation of the ponies if we are to succeed."

"While that monster is out there," the first rebuked. "You've already told me what he's going to do. I could take him if you just let me go after him."

"Hmm, perhaps he hit you a little harder than I thought," the second mumbled. "He dodged most of your attempted attacks and even when you pinned him, he managed to get you off."

Having heard enough Celestia barge her way through the doors, curious to see who was arguing in her throne room.

Instantly she threw herself into a defensive position, horn charged and ready to strike.

But as quick as she had adopted this position she almost immediately slumped at what she saw.

Before her stood what seemed a replica of the Night Stalker, but it was different. This one's feathers were bronze in color, the wings were fully feathered instead of Corvus's half-feathered half-bat wings. The eyes too were different, instead of the signature orange iris they were an icy blue.

"A Solar Guardian?...How?" Celestia mumbled.

"That would be my doing your highness," a large bipedal rat said, revealing itself.

Celestia recoiled at the sight, not only did it bear obvious demonic taint in the form of the array of horns on its head, she could feel the dark energy seeping from it.

"Silence your tongue demon," Luna commanded, jumping to Celestia's side.

The guard swiftly took up ranks in front of the two hierarchs, all ready to attack at the drop of a pin.

"Your highnesses please, I'm not here as your enemy," the rat spoke calmly. "I know my rather unique features are reason for pause, but I seek to capture or kill the same one that just escaped us now."

"And why would you help us?" Celestia asked.

"It is my charge to see the downfall of the renegade's master," the rat replied solemnly. "If they aren't stopped, they will unleash such terrible wanton destruction everywhere."

Celestia studied the rat and mulled over her words. Centuries of diplomatic maneuverings had given her a terrific sense of what someone was saying was true or not.

"I'm not to sure sister," Luna whispered. "They could be in league with Corvus."

"And what's to say this isn't all a facade?" Celestia asked.

"Because, to show you I mean you no ill will, I submit my Guardian to you," the rat said with a flourish.

Celestia gazed over at the Guardian who was shuffling her paws nervously.

"Very well, we will accept you aid," Celestia sighed. "Though we should have a more formal introduction, so would you join my sister and I for our evening supper? It would be nice to know exactly what we're up against."

"Of course your highness," the rat replied.

__________

Katrina sat at a small table, a steaming cup of tea in front of her. The rat matriarch and pony princesses likewise sat silently with their own cups of tea.

"Allow me to reintroduce my sister and I," the white alicorn said after sipping her tea. "I am princess Celestia, and this is my sister, princess Luna."

"I am Selendris'thal, matriarch of Clan Naz'ak," Selendris said. "And this is my protegee, Katrina."

"Hello," Katrina said, bowing her head at the two princesses.

Both princesses nodded to her in return.

"So," Princess Luna began. " You mentioned that the Stalker Corvus is a renegade and serves a master. Yet I assume you are not referring to Nightmare Moon?"

"I'm afraid not," Selendris said mournfully. "He is a wayward soul that has been convinced to perform a task of subjugating this world to his master, and he will not stop until either he is dead or has succeeded."

"Surely he no more stronger than the typical Night Stalker was?" Luna asked. "Not to say they were weak by any means."

"Right now he will only be a mimic of one, but in time he will become so much stronger," Selendris replied.

"And how do you propose we stop him?" Celestia asked.

"I managed to retrieve a sample of the Stalker from his massacre in the forest south of here," Selendris said. "With this I was able to infuse a spell into one of his feathers with will allow the holder to detect his direction."

Katrina watched as Selendris pulled a large black feather from one of her pouches. The feather itself was wreathed in a faint cyan glow.

"With this and the resources at your disposal I believe we can catch him before it's too late," Selendris said.

"Where is he now?" Luna asked, leaning over to take a closer look at the enchanted feather.

"Not here," Selendris sighed.

"What?" Both princesses said in unison.

"He's somewhere far away," Selendris clarified. "The feeling is very faint, but it's coming from somewhere that way."

Selendris pointed towards the horizon while placing the feather on the table. Katrina squinted at the moon lit landscape and noticed a set of silvery lines of rails leading off to the distance.

"Where do those tracks lead to your highness?" Katrina asked, looking back to Celestia.

"To the Crystal Empire," Celestia replied. "Why do yo-, no you don't think."

"The guard had reported that they had cleared a train that was heading that way," Luna said. "But it will be making a few stops between here and the Empire."

"So he could be anywhere between here and this Empire, "Katrina said.

"We should warn Cadence immediately," Luna said. "And send guards to all the towns between here and the Empire."

"Well you seem to have the grounds for a plan to beat the Stalker," Selendris said, taking one last sip of tea. "So I had best go, I have perhaps spent a little too much time here."

Selendris grabbed her staff which had been resting beside her, she then looked to Katrina.

Selendris took the feather again and placed it into Katrina's chest. She felt a sharp prick after a moment.

"Ow! That hurt," Katrina complained.

"I wove a couple of additional spells into that feather," Selendris explained. "It will attach itself to you and mimic your own feathers."

Katrina looked back at her chest to see that black feather changing color, it was as if bronze dye was seeping down the feather. The cyan glow also dissipated.

After a moment Katrina felt a nagging sensation, like something was wanting to pull her towards the direction that Selendris had previously pointed to.

"I will return periodically to visit Katrina," Selendris said.

With that the matriarch rose up, the crystal atop her staff shone as she faded away.

"It is getting late," Luna sighed. "I will go prepare the guard and convene the Night Court. It would be wise for you to get some rest sister."

"You're right Luna," Celestia yawned. "If you would like to come with me Katrina, I will show you where you may rest."

Katrina bowed her head and rose to follow the alabaster alicorn.

They walked in silence, meandering through the ornate corridors.

"So, where do you come from?" Celestia asked. "If you don't mind my asking."

Katrina jumped at her sudden question.

"Don't be shocked," Celestia chuckled. "I know you're not from here. From the moment I saw you I could tell you weren't a converted Stalker, none have existed for centuries."

"Sorry your highness," Katrina said quickly.

"Please, just call me Celestia," she said gently.

"It's just...I don't remember much of home," Katrina mumbled. "One of the last things I recalled was travelling home. I was asleep on a plane when suddenly the pilot told everyone to fasten their belts and put their trays up."

Celestia stopped and turned to face Katrina with a concerned look on her face.

"I was sitting near a window and was able to see black smoke pouring out of one of the engines," Katrina continued, tears forming around her eyes. "After that it was like everything just slowed down, fire engulfed the engine then it exploded."

Katrina broke down sobbing. Celestia draped a wing over her.

"I can't... believe...I died," Katrina cried. "Everyone I knew...left behind."

"Shhh, it's alright now," Celestia soothed. "Fate has been kind to give you another chance. And perhaps one day you'll be able to return home."

Katrina stopped crying and looked into the alicorn's amethyst eyes.

"Really?" Katrina asked shakily.

"Indeed, there are ways," Celestia confirmed.

Katrina sighed and wiped her tears away, then rose back up.

"Once this situation is handled I will dedicate time to finding a way home for you," Celestia encouraged. "In the meantime, you will always be welcome here."

"Thank you princess, it means a lot," Katrina murmured.

"Now let's get you settled in," Celestia said more cheerfully, guiding her with a wing.

__________

Micheal sat on the floor of the caboose gnawing on a bone. Having long since eaten the crew member.

Thankfully the carpet was made from a red pattern so cleaning the gore wasn't as bad as he'd initially thought, it had helped that in his panic Micheal was able to get a clean kill by slitting the throat.

Are you quite finished? Obsidian grumbled. You've been chewing on that for at least an hour now.

Really? I guess time flies when your having fun, Micheal replied contentedly. Besides, that was a pretty good feed... a bit chewy, but full of flavor.

"I don't get the luxury to indulge remember," Obsidian sighed, raising from his shadow to make her point.

"Oh yeah," Micheal hummed, tossing the bone out a window.

"You know, sometimes I think you do that to irritate me," Obsidian purred dangerously, gliding a paw along the side of his neck. "You wouldn't deliberately irritate me would you?"

"NO! No no," Micheal cried, jumping back. "I just forget is all. Cause you apart of me I just assume you feel what I feel."

Obsidian hummed, eyes narrowing and prowling forward.

"Heeyy, maybe we should try and find Gale and Raven yeah?" Micheal said carefully "Perhaps you could slither about and find them?"

Micheal was now backed up against the door of the caboose, Obsidian inches away from him.

"Fine," she hummed.

Micheal sighed with relief, then felt a light thud against his beak as obsidian spun about slapping him with her tail and strode away; melting into a shadowy pool that disappeared under the opposite door leading towards the carriages.

"The fuck was that?" Micheal muttered to himself.

"Seems like someone likes you," Azmuun'thul chuckled in his ear.

Micheal jumped from the rat's voice and spun to face the cloaked figure.

"Don't fucking sneak up on me like that!" Micheal exclaimed.

"Aww, what's that matter? Scared? Glad to see me," Azmuun said with an innocent, toothy grin.

"Not when you do it like that," Micheal grumbled. "What are you here for anyway?"

"Just taking a break from an experiment," Azmuun said, studying the blades atop his staff. "I thought I should drop by and give you a few gifts seeing how you've finally managed to find yourself northbound."

Azmuun'thul pulled a large syringe from his satchel and twirled it around gently.

"I thought you might appreciate some improvements to some already existing features," Azmuun snickered, grin growing unsettling larger.

"Ahh, I think I'm good...yeah, yeah I'm good," Micheal sputtered, backing away from the approaching rat.

"Oh come now, this won't hurt," Azmuun said.

Raising his staff, a sickly green glow engulfed the twin blades which snaked out towards Micheal coiling around his limbs, trapping him in place.

Micheal struggled in his shackles at the rat crept closer, still twirling the syringe in hand. He yelped as the needle was buried into his shoulder and a strange, an unnatural feeling began coursing through his veins.

But as quickly as his had come the sensation vanished, leaving Micheal feeling no worse for the wear.

"See, not so bad was it?" Azmuun tutted. "You need to lighten up a bit."

"Lighten up!" Micheal exclaimed. "You're the one who keeps jabbing me with needles, making me drink weird shit and plucking my feathers! To top it off you want me to assassinate the most powerful being in the whole damn world, I could barely hold up against a doppelganger."

"Ah yes...My sisters own pet," Azmuun hummed. "That would be expected, after all she would want to have something that would be your opposite. But that little injection should help even the numbers...in time."

"The hell's that supposed to mean?" Micheal grumbled.

"I'll let you figure it out," Azmuun smiled. "Now because having you enter the capital of the Crystal Empire as you are would be a woefully bad move it's time I gave you back your human body...for now."

Micheal perked up at the statement, looking intently at his benefactor.

Azmuun'thul retreated a few paces and pulled a small jar of blue powder from his satchel, to which he began making a circle with runes running around the inner boarder, followed by several smaller rings following the same pattern linked to the main ring.

"Step inside if you would," Azmuun instructed.

Micheal did as he was told, no sooner than he took his place in the center did the rings ignite engulfing Micheal in a cloud of smoke.

The burning gas seared his throat and stung his eyes as he was enveloped, causing him to cough intensely and uncontrollably. A feverish wave rolled over his body.

How long Micheal writhed on the floor, he couldn't tell. Time had no meaning to him as the fever turned to a fire inside him, threatening to engulf his being.

Gradually the fever gave way and Micheal regained his senses, he could hear voices calling to him, but unable to make out their meaning. Cracking his eyes open, his vision was a blur; a pair of dark splotches hung over him.

He tried to pull himself up but stumbled, but was immediately caught by the pair that were beside him, their voices becoming more clear as his mind cleared.

"Easy, easy," Gale said gently.

"What happened to you?" Raven murmured.

"I walked into that spot," Micheal groaned, indicating to the scorch mark on the ground. "Then I was covered in a cloud of smoke."

The siblings were quick to shift Micheal away from the runic scorch on the floor.

"You should take it easy," Gale said, laying him down on the crews bunk. "Is there anything we can do for you?"

"A drink...would be nice," Micheal replied hoarsely.

Raven zipped away and returned a moment later with a pewter pitcher and mug.

He sat up stiffly as she poured him a mug of red liquid and carefully gave it him. As he took a sip he noticed an unmistakable coppery flavor tainted what was a rather sweet plum juice.

Suprised by the tainting flavour he coughed and sputtered abrutly causing the siblings to jump.

"Are you alright?" Raven asked urgently.

"Just...a little parched is all," Micheal half-lied. "I should be fine to drink on my own for now."

"Okay," Raven said hesitantly. "Just call if you need us."

The pair moved over to what would be the dinning area of the caboose and engaged in a silent conversation, stealing the occasional glace at him.

As he lay there sipping on the tainted drink, he noted the distinct lack of hands, feet or other human features.

God damn, why am I still like this, Micheal fummed. And what the hell is up with this juice.

I managed to catch our benefactor before he left, Obsidian said. He told me that the concoction in the pitcher is mainly meant for these two, but is perfectly safe to drink...or so he led me to believe.

What is it for exactly? Micheal asked, sipping another mouthful of the strange fluid.

He didn't say, Obsidian replied. Only stating that it could tip the scales in our favor the longer this affair becomes drawn out.

And my lack of being human? Micheal inquired, still pissed at going through that for apparently nothing.

He told me in case you asked, the transformation requires a catalyst of power, Obsidian explain. But not to worry, he has things handled.

The ominousness of that is unnerving to the extreme, Micheal sighed exasperatedly.

Indeed, Obsidian replied, equally frustrated. But perhaps we should take some precautions, seeing as now we face a Solar Guardian, her master, the Princesses of Equestria and all their underling guards.

You mentioned that name before back in the throne room, Micheal began inquisitively. What exactly was it.

Obsidian's sigh was deep and saddening. I've already told you that we were spirits of the shadow world that pledged ourselves to Nightmare Moon, the Solar Guardians are our direct opposite. You almost witnessed first paw purification at the hooves of Celestia.

Most that I know of that were captured died of a result. Obsidian growled. But some didn't, they...changed...into abominations.

How so? Micheal asked carefully.

The focusing of Celestia's solar power torched them, body and soul, Obsidian growled, turning to a whimper. From their ashes rose a figment of their former selves. They became bound to Celesria as we are to Nightmare Moon...after which the war of the sun and moon began.

So...these Guardians, when you say direct opposite, Micheal asked tentatively. They will have powers over the light and such?

...Yes... Obsidian quavered.

Hey...you alright? Micheal asked concerned, nothing he'd seen so far had shaken his bloodthirsty companion so.

I just thought...I'd nevee see another again... Obsidian whispered, her voice now full of fear and sorrow.

What happened? Micheal pushed gently.

I don't want to talk about it... Obsidian whimpered. I don't...I don't...I don...

Obsidian trailed off, whimpering in the back of his mind. He watched as his shadow shivered and rippled in time with her.

Uhh...if you ever do want to...you know talk about it, I'm right here, Micheal said.

His only response was more whimpering.

"You alright?" Gale called. "You looked a little zoned out."

"What...oh no, no, I'm fine,"Micheal said hurriedly. "Just thinking was all."

Gale shrugged and returned to talking with his sister.

Micheal looked over the pitcher sitting by the bed for a moment, watching the fluids within ripple in time with the train, wondering what could possibly happen if the siblings consumed it.

Micheal sighed.

"Would either of you like a drink of this?" he called to the siblings, pointing a claw at the pitcher. "I'm sure I won't drink all of this, and it'd be a shame for it to go to waste."

"If you're sure," Raven said uncertainly.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt," Gale said. "I mean we haven't actually had anything since we left Canterlot."

The pair grabbed their own mugs and each poured a drink, utter their thanks before returning to their seats.

Micheal sat there for a while longer thinking on what to do. His body still ached from the ordeal he had just been through, and considering his destination was somewhere in the far north, he decided it would be best to get some rest.

He lay down closing his eyes, but his efforts to enter the land of dreams was made difficult by Obsidian's now now low keening. In an effort to disteact her from her misery he hummed low and gentle to himself, like he had while he was imprisoned below Canterlot.


Soon Obsidian had drawn quiet, and then ever so slowly and softly, she shakily joined him.

Soon after he quickly plunged into the twisting realm of the sleeping.